Anxiety Community
Bad Weather ANXIETY HELP

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Bad Weather ANXIETY HELP

I live in Minnesota, and I have the worst bad weather phobia and anxiety. I am checking the weather constantly even if i wake up in the middle of the night. When I know that a potential bad storm is on its way ( even if its a week away) i freak out. At one point I even quit eating for a week because I was so sick to my stomach. I don't sleep well either when I have high anxiety. I am currently taking celexa and have been for the past two years. It is helping but I would just like to kick this on my own rather than search for another medication or up my dose. I just want to be normal and not worry all the time. Does anyone else every feel this way? And how can i cope? Its a daily struggle during the summer months that we are not approaching.
Tags: Anxiety
I know your pain.  Storms make me edgy, too (I used to be worse about it).  Now I refuse to watch the weather completely, using the old adage of 'you can't be afraid of what you don't know'.  I live smack in the middle of Tornado Alley (Missouri).  And our storm seasons can get scary, like yours.  Now, I just trust my gut.  If it's cloudy, I will look at the clouds and be able to tell if they are just rain clouds (those are okay), storm clouds (okay also, but i will remain alert), or those low eerie erratic clouds that make me want to run for my life (which I do).  Sometimes I am away from the safety of my rock house (with basement) when some scary weather occurs.  In a case like that, if I am at work, there are safe rooms.  If I am in my car, I will pull off and wait it out inside a safe, public place.  My definition of actual threatening weather is: hearing the tornado horn go off in town, hail of any size, rain too heavy to see through, and/or wind hard enough to toss around loose things like trash cans and patio furniture.  These scary weather conditions really only occur often enough to make me go 'hide' about two or three times a year.  It is a fact that you are much more likely to die in a car crash than in a storm.  Try my way of it for a little while: it might make you feel better. :-)  Blessings - Blu
Cricketk92 commented on Home
Cricketk92 commented on Bullies
mishymoshymarcy Maybe we shouldn't think of... Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms