Anxiety Community
Bad anxiety after eating??

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Bad anxiety after eating??

Does anyone else suffer from bad anxiety after eating a large meal? I've been having panic attacks after eating. Abotu 10 minutes after I get finished eating, I will get very nervous/anxious feeling and I have heart palps. Almost everytime I eat a large meal this happens, so I'm guessing it is a panic attack.
The first thing you want to do is get checked out by your doctor to make sure there are no other causes for this. You definitely want to get your blood glucose level checked as it may be that your blood sugar is too low after eating. If you are avoiding carbs, and sugars this can cause low blood sugar.  The next time you have this, try eating something sweet or high in carbs, if it stops your symptoms it's a good sign that it is low blood sugar.  This normally will occur between meals and not right after eating, but it depends on your diet.  Your thyroid may be playing a role in this as well.  If it were me, I'd see an Endocrinologist but many have this testing done by their GP.  Let us know what you find out and take care!
Hi I also get panic attacks after eating. Doesn't matter te size of the meal. It doesn't happen everytime I eat, but it happens enough because I have lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks and my panic attacks started a month ago. I have been seen by an ENT who wants to take x rays of my throat to see if it could be a muscular problem. Also maybe get an appt with a endocrinologist to get necked for diabetes.  Good luck to you.
There could be a physical cause, or you could be experiencing a panic cycle common with panic disorder.  After getting the "all clear" from your doc, then you need to see a psychiatrist who can properly diagnose you and offer treatment options.  Therapy would be a vital part of the process, as it would teach you how to undo the anxious thinking cycle that leads to frequent panic attacks.  

Hang in there and let us know what the outcome of your doctor visit is....you can get to the bottom of this.
yep, happens to me too.  But it's very cyclical.  One day I'll have panic after every single bite I force down my throat, but the next nothing...  I hate that.
I  have been checked out by my doctor, had blood work and the full workup. My thyroid and blood sugar is fine. I have saw a cardiologist for my heart palps and had a tone of test done. He says all is fine! I don't know if I"m just in some kind of viscious cycle or what. But I do find myself thinking about it before I eat, worrying if I'm going to have another panic attack or not.  This is very frustrating, I would just like to find a way to get away from this!
It's time to address the anxiety.  Our anxiety feeds off our fears and worries, and when we sit in anticipation of another attack, we will get one.  You're absolutely correct, it's a vicious cycle.  Try to distract yourself  before and after eating both physically and mentally and see if that helps.  If not, therapy would be very beneficial in teaching you how not to dwell on this and think differently.  Also, do some deep breathing exercises before eating and when you feel yourself getting anxious afterwards.  Breathe slowly in thru your nose and slowly out of your mouth.  Exercisie is good for anxiety, so if you're able, take a walk after eating.  I know it's both scary and frustrating but there is help, so if you can't do this on your own (most of us can't) seek help with therapy. Best wishes and take care!
Saw your post.  I found out that I'm gluten intolerant.  Since then, I have been paying attention to what I eat and have noticed I often get that feeling if I eat something with gluten in it (sometimes I get the feeling on a carb overload as well).  You may want to be tested to see if you are gluten intolerant.  One good thing to do is keep a food journal and note what you eat, when and how you feel during different times of the day.  Be forewarned that gluten is in just about everything that comes in a box or bag.  It is not just in 'wheat' like alot of people think.  celiac.org is a good resource for more information.  Good luck!
Could be a side affect of benzo or some other psycotropic med.
I am not sure of your history with any other anxiety or panic attacks, but my son just recently was suffering from anxiety only after eating and we were going crazy trying to figure it out and found that it is a simple fix of taking an indigestion medicine. I know it sounds crazy, but he started taking 2 tums before he ate and it was gone. He will now be going to see a gastrologist. Try it! It really worked for him :)
i have anxiety after eating also, but i think thats because before i eat something i get very overwhelmed with the fact that" this could be my last meal if i eat this because its got so much salt, so much carbs, so much (of anything really) that it would make me have a heart attack and ill die.. i know thats really bad.. and extreme.. but when i have panic attacks thats all its based around ... and its getting to the point where i cant even eat a piece of bread or rice or something i felt safe about before cause thats always in the back of my mind .... really need help with this..
Hi, I was wondering if I can get help I have multiple symptoms started after birth control and then antibiotics for hpylori. I have constant fatigue , depression, anxiety going in stores , 2 major panic attacks in the past 3 years lower back pain came from knowhere . I also had turbunate reduction on nose its back blocked now, i have pressure in my head . No longer can drink milk or i would make all symptoms worse. Sugar or caffeine in moderations or pain is worse . Cat scan shows moderate facet hypertrophy and annular fissure. I also get very dehydrated and dizzy in the am. I was happy outgoing and i take vitamins and just want my life back. Doc refuse to test just prescribe anti depressants that only make me feel sick and no motivation to get out of bed ferritin 17 and vitamin d 21 or 25 female 31yrs reg periods symptoms worse on period. Facet injections relief for one month and ibs. Took antidepressants then quit florastor to try to get ibs under control. Some reacurring vag yeast infection and crackling sound in hed with pressure. I bite my lower lip constantly when sitting . Thanks im not anti-social or suicidal just feel sick no job .
I meant mri not cat scan
What ended up being the problem after your son saw the gastrologist?
My son had a huge panic attack almost two weeks ago and has had a couple more since.  All occurred after eating.  I'm going to suggest to him the Tums before eating and I'm also going to investigate the gluten angle.  He's in college therefore not eating healthy and , of course plenty of beer involved as well.  Has had anxiety issues for a long time but never anything like these past two weeks.
Did you ever figure it out?  I have this, too, and it's getting worse.  I've been sick for four years and had many tests.  Most came up ok, but these four came out positive:  Yes-Histamine Intolerance  Yes-SIBO (Histamine Intolerance is probably because of the SIBO)  Yes-Mitral Valve Prolapse, Stage 1, Yes-Very low Vitamin D (14 ng).  So, I am working on all of these, but now seem to have a blood sugar problem.  Every meal now, I get a huge amount of anxiety and tingling/numbness/tissue pain down my arms and on the right side of my chest.  Sometimes it goes into my legs, too, and my head.  This has been going on for four years, but has lately gotten so much worse.  It happens more with carb foods (corn flakes, rice crackers, etc.--I've been gluten-free for three years).  But, now it's happening with chicken, apples, zucchini, although not as bad.  I've been on a low-histamine diet for a year now and I'm reacting to almost every food now.  Does anyone have help for this?  To everyone else on here, please check histamine intolerance, SIBO, Vitamin D, Mitral Valve Prolapse and get your blood sugar tested.  The blood sugar test will be next for me.  I have a feeling it's all of the above.  Ever since I hit menopause, my body has been slowly falling apart in multiple ways.  However, I think most of it is related to digestion.  I think I'll try the Tums approach as well to see if that helps.  Thank you.  
After being medicated for Panic Disorder for nearly ten years and still having trouble with anxiety, I have only recently noted the relation between my eating habits and anxiety. I have only now come to the conclusion that I have Reactive Hypoglycemia. Typically, I experience near panic attacks within a half-hour to an hour after eating and the anxiety can linger for hours afterwards.

While most doctors will do little to nothing about this, because there's no medication for it, I have found that intermittent fasting cures hypoglycemia. In an era of excessive carb intake, our bodies are no longer operating the way they should be. Intermittent fasting basically reprograms our bodies to work the way they were meant to.

In my experience, this has completely eliminated my Reactive Hypoglycemia (not immediately, it takes a little time but had incredible results in only a few days) and anxiety troubles. Not to mention I lost an incredible amount of weight very quickly. ;)

4 minute tabata workouts also help (again, in time once your body gets used to it)

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/reactive-hypoglycemia.html        Some helpful information about it
Nico_Ak Feeling Anxious :/ Comment
10356 commented on photo
10356 commented on photo
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms