Anxiety Community
Bad butterflies in stomach feeling...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Bad butterflies in stomach feeling...

Anybody ever get the bad butterflies in your stomach when you're having anxiety.

This is pretty much the worst part of my anxiety. For no apparent reason, this bad butterfly sensation in my stomach comes, like I'm really really frightened feeling, and don't know what from.

Is this a very common effect of anxiety?

I'd describe i as being "paranoid" and don't know why.

Thanks!
I should add, that when I get my anxiety spells, this paranoia feeling in my stomach usually lasts for a week or 2 at a time, and my stomach gets hungry, i can feel it growl, but its hard to eat anyhing b/c of the parinoid stomach... its exhuasting. I still make myself eat something. usually a p and j sandwich around these times and a cup of milk seem to go down quick and easy.. then its like I quit thinking about it or something... and get my mind on something else.. and then the anxiety will go away for a month... then come back. i just cant seem to find the TRIGGER. I'm either digging too deep, or I'm self anticipating the anxiety. B/c it is a once of month thing. It's strange. This started 6 months ago.

I'm gonna see a psych this coming week. I tried meds once for about 3 months.. didnt help b/c when I was on the med (lexapro) i would feel fine for a month, then anxiety, fine for a month, anxiety.

Ive been off the lexapro now for over a month... was feeling great for the month I was off, and anxiety came back. I'm handling the anxiety way better than the previous times. I think I'm just learning to adjust.

Any thoughts would be great!
You said that you felt great being antidepressant-free...I think that you should stick with the psychologist who will hopefully help you find other alternatives for helping you with your anxiety.
Does your anxiety interfere with you job/school or can you function still? I think that it's a benefit/risk ratio. I think it's a great thing that you wrote that you're learning to adjust. Have you ever tried drinking a glass of water when the butterflies come? Drink at least an 8-oz. glass slowly but completely and see if you notice any change.
Keep the faith...
Yeah, I usually drink a lot of water when I have them. Do I feel a change? hmm. havnt really thought about it too much. I know I'm not having them RIGHT NOW. Which is AWESOME. But that may be b/c I'm on the computer, trying to help other people with issues like this.

But yeah, I'm trying to find peace in the anxiety.. and the butterflies... etc. Just trying to let it all come in. I'll even break down and cry when I feel like this, but thats a good release too.

And by finding peace in it, maybe this is the road to my recovery.

Thanks for listening.
hey,  next time you have the butterflies,  just let it run.  see what it really feels like.  try to feel what it is about.  it may give you a clue.  

write down when it happens.  when it is worse.  find out why?

hope this helps.  do not want to sound like a know it all, cause i know nothing, as i am in the same boat as you.

good luck
Once a month, you say?

I'm not trying to pull the legs off a fly here, but what ELSE happens about once a month? Big mortgage and/or payment? Spouse starts her period? The monthly managers meeting at work? I promise I'm not trying to tease you about this, but the timing really seems to beg for an explanation. So, think....what else happens about once a month?Please advise.

Thanks.

PS: Nice work with the meds.
How are you doing? I remember talking to you a little over a month ago.
I went off my meds since then, and was feeling great, saw a psychologist one time, but
I saw him when I was feeling normal self. And thought to myself "I really don't need to see this guy... b/c this anxiety thing is definatley gone now, i wont let it come back"

Well, here I am again JSGeare... same boat as before. =/

I really can't pin point what's happening everymonth that's making me go into this.

I think it may be self anticipated? I think since, I can go a while without feeling good, then go a while with feeling good... when im feeling good.. maybe I fear the next round? I dunno.

God Bless. The butterflies are TERRIBLE.... losing sleep. Legs are trembling... getting cramps b/c of the butterflies. No appetite... It's terrible.

I've got another appointment set up with my psych. this thursday.

He told me to get a book called "FEELING GOOD". I ordered it, hope it comes in soon!!!

Talk to you later!
I hope that you're doing better...are you seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist this Thursday?
Who wrote the book, "Feeling Good"? Is it about cognitive behavior therapy?
Does your anxiety interfere with working/school??

I think that JSGeare may be onto something about this once/month thing, too....

Stay strong!!! And, I hope you feel better...
i am currently having the so-called butterfly sensation in my stomach and it isn't a very pleasant feeling and kind of makes me feel weird..can't describe how maybe fearful in a way but maybe this anxiety is tagged on to my depression as think i have mild depression again...not taking chances and going back on the anti-depressants winter is dire as get sooo depressed then!
I don't know if this works for everybody but when i get butterflies in my stomach from anxiety i usually drink a bottle of aquafina plus, its flavoured vitamin water. It stops the butterfly sensation pretty quickly after i've drank some, and my appetite comes back a little bit after that
Poor nutrition can play a big role in anxiety.  

I mentioned my anxiety to my chiropractor one day. I told him how my nervousness causes me to tense up my neck muscles. Because my chiropractor was also a nutritionist.  He had me fill out a symptom questionnaire, and evaluated my many symptoms.

He said I was suffering from a severe B-12 deficiency for quite some time.

He started me on an intense regimen of WHOLE food vitamins, not the synthetic kind you can buy at Walmart. Whole food vitamins are easily absorbed and broken down by the body.

After about 3-4 months of taking these vitamins three times a day, I've never felt better in my life!  

When my anxiety comes back, it's because of my own inconsistency in taking my supplements.

Recently had a complete blood test done, and my chiro is planning on evaluating the results.

He's provided these services to me at no charge, except for the price of the vitamins. A good nutritionist should not be out for profit. I'm sure he can refer you to a few good books, on the matter.  

Anyways,...hope this helps you or anyone that is suffering from anxiety.

p.s. the brand of vitamins he sells is called 'Standard Process'.
Hi I have been suffering now for a while with the symptoms you mention, mine started after a bad bout of food poisoning. I find I can quickly drop to sleep but for no longer than an hour then I am up, legs kicking in bed, bed clothes on bed clothes of, toss and turn you name it. I cannot find a reason for it and to be very honest have no worries, I received a good inheritance recently which paid everything off and allowed me to buy my house outright. I work part time doing a job I enjoy with no pressure attached. All sounds to good to be true and i should be lapping it up so cant get a handle why I feel this way and so anxious.
However in saying all this and it does require some practice and commitment I have found that meditation can help. If you can and this is the hard bit try and lie still and listen to your breathing and breath slightly deeper than normal. Then start to relax your body starting from your feet (toes) upwards gently tensing an area then releasing as you breath out. I have found on occasion that I sought of make it to mid back and cant remember anything after that. It does require some practice though and if I am truthful with you the practising can be frustrating and cause problems in its own way. It may work and certainly wont do any harm
hi guys, i suffered quite bad depression 5,6 years ago,, and bowt 6 weeks ago my anxiety attacks came back, with the butterflys, hot cold flushes, tiredness lack off appitite,shakes etc etc im back on meds but there not helping :( ,im a bit fed up feeling like this and so so scared
It's easy to say 'Don't be scared', but anxiety is a natural bodily response to a 'fight or flight' situation. It cannot harm you, but definitely feels scary. I also am currently having anxiety and depression issues. Try to do some deep breathing thru your stomach (diaphragmatic breathing). Breath in for 6 seconds thru your nose, hold it for 6 seconds, exale thru your month for 6 seconds, and hold it for 6 seconds. Do this 10-15 times.

What medication are you back on?
Hi guys

I was google-ing 'constant butterflies in stomach' and got to this site.  I suffer from GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and i'm quite use to experiencing the symptoms, however i'm not scared of it as i've done so much research about it and know that it is just symptoms of stress and can't harm me in any way, it still feels crap though when it comes back every now and again.

However, this butterfly sensation in my stomach is a new symptom, and i've had it for over 2 weeks now and it feels like all my stomach muscles are in a spasm, the dr says it happens when we are overworked and stressed and then  we tend to contract our stomach muscles and don't breath properly!! That makes sense as I've been very overworked the past 2 weeks! So at least I know what causes it now! We must learn how to relax! (easier said than done though),

a website that really helped with my anxiety is a site called: www.anxietycentre.com, but you have to pay a small fee, really not expensive, and then Cognitive behavioral therapy also helps.

Knowledge is power when it comes to stress and anxiety!

Regards from sunny South Africa
I get these butterflies too, they are unbearable, i sometimes end up crying or getting really angry at myself because I cant control it, i have been regularly attending my gp for 3 years regarding this and still no where nearer a cure!
I get butterflies in the stomach even when at rest, although it does get worse with anxiety. I do have GI problems and chronic tiredness and other things such as dry hands, I think its something to do with my nervous system, I did have convulsions when younger and have a bad immune system. i have joint pains too, anxiety, temperature problems etc, don't know what it is?
You may want to have your thyroid checked.  Sounds like you may be hypothyroid meaning you are not producing enough thyroid hormone.  This can cause all the symptoms you mentioned.  Have your TSH level checked.  It's a simple blood test and your doctor may have just overlooked testing for this.
wonderful idea. i get this and i have hypotyroidism.
Check your magnesium levels. Low levels can cause anxiety and anxiety symptoms can be abated when the mag levels are normal. Hope this helps.
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
45 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on OctoberMommy2014's status
Amandag78 commented on Amandag78's status