Anxiety Community
Benefits of klonopin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Benefits of klonopin

Are the benefits of klonopin better than those of xanex?
Klonopin is a longer acting medication for anxiety, and it's normally prescribed morning and night.  Xanex is a short term medication which means it doesn't stay in your system long, and can be used only when needed.  Hope this helps.  Take care!
Klonopin is the better choice for long term use. One only needs to dose twice a day with Klonopin as opposed to every 4-6 hours with Xanax. Contrary to what the above poster has stated, Xanax CAN be taken on a daily basis for up to four months. After that period of time, Xanax tends to lose it's efficacy and often the dose will need to be increased. It is usually recommended that after four months, one should taper slowly off the Xanax. If it is dertermined that a benzo is still in the best interest of the patient, Xanax can be used on an as need basis, for as long as needed, or a switch to a longer acting benzo such as Klonopin, which does not lose its efficacy as quickly as Xanax, can be instigated.
Peace
Greenlydia
No where do I say Xanax cannot be taken on a daily basis!  I say "it CAN be used only when needed," if this is daily then you can take it, whereas Klonopin is prescribed to be taken 2 times a day, and not on an as needed basis.
"Xanex (sic) is a short term medication which means it doesn't stay in your system long, and can be used only when needed."

Those were your exact words in your original response. In your rebuttal, I see you've added, "if this is daily then you can take it........."
Changes the enitre meaning.

What I read and what the OP quite possibly read in your original response is:
"Xanex (sic) is a short term medication which means it doesn't stay in your system long, and can be used ONLY when needed."  

Why don't you get over your petty defensiveness and unblock me so we can communicate privately?

Okay again.....Klonopin needs to be taken daily as prescribed, normally 2 times a day.  Xanax CAN be used only when needed.  Meaning.....you take it when needed, whereas Klonopin must be taken every day as prescribed.
Just to go on a very different tangent here, people react differently to meds.  For some, Xanax will work better, for others Klonopin.  For some, such as me, Xanax can increase anxiety.  It all depends on the individual.  So while the above is technically correct, that doesn't mean klonopin will do a thing for you, or it might solve all your problems and everything in between.  There are people on this forum who have been on Xanax for years, and it's the only thing that works for them, and likewise for klonopin.  These products aren't as scientific as they sound -- trials are small and short term when they get to testing on humans, so we find out when we take them.  Sad, but true.  So while klonopin is favored for long-term use because of its longer half life and slower build to tolerance, if it doesn't work, so what?  And if Xanax does work and you don't build to tolerance because that's how your particular body reacts to it, then it's going to be better even long-term than klonopin.  And when it comes to quitting, they're both addictive and a monster to quit, depending on the person.  So I guess the answer to me is, the better one is the one that works, and the best one is when you can solve the problem without meds at all, but that isn't necessarily possible.  Good luck whatever route suits you.
Well said!
TinaR10 seeing doc Monday about clo... Comment
33 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on sherrycoup's status
48 mins ago
ctx_1999 joined this community
Welcome them!
1 hr ago