Benzodiazepines long term
Has anyone just stayed on klonopin forever.  I took it with effexor xr five years ago. When i quit the effexor I remained on the klonopin to keep the panic attacks under controll.  My doctor moved and I am having another bout with the anxiety, nervousness and panic attacks.  My new doctor hates benzos and wants me to wean off.  I think this is a bad time to do that. Klonopin is the only thing besides ativan that ever gave relief. it also takes care of the insomnia associated with the ssri's.  This Dr. likes Celexa but I am really having a hard time with the side effects.  Anybody else on long term benzo's. BTW I don't drink or smoke.
what is your dosage of klonopin?

over the past 5 years have you had to up your dosage of klonopin or are you on the same dosage as when you started 5 years ago?

what is going on  lately in your life that is causing you anxiety? stressful situations?

my personal opinion is to NOT wean off of klonopin until your current anxiety situation is under control, because when you get off of klonopin you will have a little bit of added anxiety when you taper from it. you don't need that right now.

maybe find a 2nd opinion or talk to your doctor about these concerns, they are valid questions.

i might be warry of any dr. that "hates" benzo's. there are alot of useful situations for them.

i'm on them myself and they are helping out alot. have been for the past 9 months for panic disorder and agoraphobia.

Good Luck!

Jay
I have been on klonopin for almost 16 years.  I have only had to increase once but I am back down to my original dose which is .75 mgs.  I sometimes think I will be on it indefinitely because it is the only thing that helps my anxiety.  
if you have been maintaing well for 16 years and it helps your anxiety, then i'd say find a new doc. if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

weaning now would be detrimental to you emotionally if you ask me. that's just my opinion though.

you also avoided or fogot to answer the question about any current stressful events in you life. therapy can help ALOT!

also why are u on the ssri's? are u depressed also? or is it just for panic attacks?

if you are not depressed i seem to remember dr. gould on here saying that it's not uncommon for people to bump up their dosage of klonopin while going through a tough time and then go back to your original dosage. it worked for you in the past. i wouldn't see why it wouldn't now.
I have upped the dose on my klonopin once and lowered it back down when I felt I could.  I take 1/2mg. in am and 1mg. in pm.
My doctor hates Benzodiazepines because of th potential liver disease with long term use.  I don't drink so I think i am fairly safe.  i know people taking up to 12 mg's for seizures.
I've never heard of benzos causing liver disease and I have been on klonopin almost 16 years.  I would do some research and see if your Dr knows what he is talking about.  Maybe it is a concern but my pdoc or family dr have never said anything to me about it long term.
My original  doc that put me on it was never worried about the long term use other than dependence.  He left state.  I got stuck with another doctor that he had joined practices with.  Apparently they did not hold the same beliefs.  I am seriously thinking of switching doctors because this one wants to replace the klonopin with buspar.  I work with people who have taken that long term and it can cause uncontrolled movements that are irreversible even after dicontinuing the med. I really would prefer nothing but have no choice.
i have suffered from extreme anxiety for 8 yrs, paxil is the best to help calm nerves.  effexer sucks, cymbolta sucks. but right now my anxiety is under control with one klonipin every morning. just to be on the safe side, i get my liver checked every six months. but i have been on them fro 7 yrs and they work great and every time... if  try to quit my anxiety flares back up.

good luck
I have been on Klonopin for a long time, but for Restless Leg Syndrome.  I take 2 mgs. a nite.  Apparently I must be a strange one, because I do not notice any sedative effect with this drug.  None.

If you doctor "likes" Celexa...rather than what you are taking (which works) then his statement kinda makes me nervous.  Who cares if he "likes" Celexa.  You are the patient and you need to take what works for you.

Benzo's have their place in helping with anxiety.  Just because HE has the opinion that HE doesn't like them, then I would find a doctor that has the attitude that if his patient is doing well on Klonopin then there is no reason to "wean you off."  It's like 'Jay' says, you should seek another doctor's opinion.  Your present doctor has his mind made up.  He acts like he won't budge and will wean you off no matter how well you are doing presently.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.  

Best of luck to you,
Heather
I was on 20mg. Paxil for 10 yrs.  This summer had a real "nervous problem" and the new doctor put me on 225mgs. of Effexor..not all at once..but over 6 months.  I did not like it and it made my blood pressure go up.  Also he put me on Klonpin.  Now the Klonpin 1 mg. I am still on and take at bedtime to sleep.  I don't care if I have to take that forever..it works.  The Effexor...I have been weaning off of the last 6 months with a doctors help.  Is taking very long...but I am now down to 37.5mg in the morning and my Paxil at night.  Next month I hope to wean off the Effexor altogether and just be on Paxil.  If I feel well for several months after that.....maybe I will try to go off of Paxil also.  But the Klonapin..I'm not afraid of 1mg.  I hate meds...I guess we all do...and I think if I hit a "bump" again..I may just try to "bump" up the Klonapin for awhile.  Remember...this is all with a doctors help.

Good luck....this is my opinion....Nana
I have had anxiety problems every time I have tried to wean off the Klonopin also.  I can do it very gradually and I know it's not just withdrawal because i could never get the anxiety attacks under control with ssri's.  It took the side dose of Klonopin to actually work.  Does anyone know anything about Buspar????
someone else might be able to add better "medical" insight. but after taking a benzo....buspar is like shooting bb gun at a freight train for panic disorder. i don't know about general anxiety or anything else. but from what i've read, buspar hasn't helped too much with panic attacks at all. like dr. gould and ryan/rca say here. if it ain't broke.....then don't try to fix it...Klonopin can be safely tapered when the time is right and you are grown emotionally and found out other means to control or eliminate your panic...ie: therapists, cbt etc... that's just my opinion though...if you want to try buspar go ahead. let me know how it goes....i thought about taking it with my klonopin to eliminate anxiety period, but read up on it and didn't find the ratings or reviews to be too great. but different things work for different folks.