Anxiety Community
Best med for GAD/Panic Disorder..going to doctor today!

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

I have to go to my doctor today for this pressure and fogginess in my head that I've had for over 3 weeks now.  Have seen him already one time for this 2 weeks ago and he told me to take Claritin.  Hasn't worked, so back I go to the doctor.  

I am making myself sick over thinking I have a brain tumor or a brain aneurysm....but deep down I know it's probably just my anxiety.  I am constantly dwelling on my head and that makes the feelings worse.  I know when im busy at work, and dont think about the symptoms I am having, I dont have ANY!!!

My question is what is a good med to go on?  I constantly worry about everything....getting to the point that I can't even function anymore.  I have Lorazapam for when I get panic attacks, but im not on a daily med.

I've heard Cymbalta is wonderful for GAD.  What about Effexor?  

Thanks!

Tags: GAD
The medications are all about the same, and it's up to each of us to find the one that will work best for us.  Where one person has excellent results on one medication...another may not.  So unfortunately it's trial and error in trying a medication until you find the one that works for you.  Once you do....it is well worth it.  Lorazepam is not a "take as needed" medication, it needs to be taken on a regular basis for best results.  Xanax is usually prescribed on an "as needed" basis.  The fact that you say when you're busy at work you don't have any symptoms is telling me it's all anxiety.  Antidepressants work very well for anxiety but often we need an anxiety medication as well.  If you're seeing your GP for your medication, you may want to see a psychiatrist instead, as they are most knowledgeable when it comes to these types of medications.  I hope this helps and wish you all the best!
mammo is absolutely right - what may work for someone could be a complete disaster (or so) for someone else - remember, there are no diseases, but patients. Either your family dr or a psychologist/psychiatrist are the best bets in terms of professionals who may be able to help, or possibly a naturopath if you'd rather favor a non-medication approach.
in my case lorazepam worked on an as needed basis, but now i've been switched to clonazepam, so honestly, i don't think there's a black and white kind of answer.
best of luck
SFmonsterdark added the Dysautonomia Tracker
SFmonsterdark added the Allergy Tracker
Mood Tracker: August 21, 2015
6 hrs ago by char1234vass
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms