Anxiety Community
Body Numbness?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Body Numbness?

So, I know one of the symptoms for panic attacks is the tingling or numbness in the hands.  I have had that tingling and then numbness to not only hands but it goes to face and other areas of my body. My joints in my hands lock up and my speech is slurred.  My question is; is this a panic attack or a symptom of something else?
Hi there,
I get very similar symptoms like what you are describing, except for the locking of the joints (but anxiety can cause different reactions in different people). I have numbness in my face, tingling, my hands and feet actually get ice cold and almost numb, i feel like my throat closes up. My tongue feels like it is too big for my mouth and I feel like it is swelling up, and my lips feel numb too. I feel like my speech is slurred, but others say that they can't tell a difference, which reassures me a lot....I would still go to your doctor (if you haven't already) and get all checked out just in case, but it sounds very similar to what I experience when I have a panic attack, as well as right before the attack happens.
I get tingling in the face and tongue....but I do not experience slurred speech...not yet, anyway!
I get tingling burning in hands and feet - no speech slurring or locking of joints.  Well, I do have one finger that can lock up.  By speech slurring, do you mean like when you're drunk slurring or just getting words wrong periodically?
According to others it sounds like I am drunk when I speak.
My suggestion is to go to a neurologist.  I have heard of slurring speech, but I think a neurologist needs to make a diagnosis...Better to be safe than sorry.  Hope all turns out well.
I am 28 year old female.  I have had right side facial numbness for over a week. It is mainly in my cheek, tongue & teeth.  I have been under extreme stress for the past year.  A few weeks ago, I was awakened by an excruciating headache that involved seeing white halos around everything.  I also had a pretty bad headache on Sunday before this facial numbness started.  Can anyone tell me how long the numbness usually lasts if it's due to anxiety or what I can do to relieve it?  It is literally driving me to a nervous breakdown. I appreciate any response you can give me.  Thanks so much!
I have been highly anxious and worrying about unlikely things for over 6 months. 5 months into the anxiety, I started experiencing numbness and tingling. I got more worked up when I thought I could have MS (I'm a 43 year old wife and mother of young kids). I got a brain MRI that came out negative. I had a full physical that stated I was 100% healthy. After learning this, my symptoms where almost gone. Then my husband went on a business trip to India where I was worried stiff. My numbness and tingling came back, but worse than ever. The minute I lay down, both my arms go numb and so do my toes. Husband came back safe and sound, but I still have the numbness and tingling after a week. Does anyone know how long the numbness will last?
It could last for along time or for a short period of time. I have been dealing with anxiety disorder for 30 yrs. now. If I'm under alot of stress then I can run a whole line of symptoms, everything from numbness in my hands, legs, face, and even sometimes my teeth tingle. I went from one doctor to another trying to find out what was going on and I kept getting the same answer, ITS ANXIETY. Over the years I have tried therapy, bio-feedback and it helped. They gave me antidepressants and thats when I hit the brick wall. It turns out that I am allergic to ALL antidepressants. I have tried everyone in every class from A to Z and my throat closes up, my tongue swells, my blood pressure drops, my joints ache, my muscles hurt, my eyes feel like they are going to explode and I get terrible headaches. Along with a few other symptoms. The only thing that helps "ME" is Xanax 1mg. I was started on a lower dose. It may help you, BUT I have to warn you that it is highly addictive. The doctor that gave it to me called it "GARBAGE " medication. I am 53 now and still suffer with the numbness and tingling every morning. But at least I know whats causing it. I have had every TEST under the sun and they all come back as normal. I have l learned from therapist over the years that you have to keep yourself busy and try to exercise to burn up the anxiety. And stop worrying and thinking of everything in a negative way. I worried myself right into Agoraphobia and ended up not leaving my home for 2 years. Thank God that I had a girlfriend at the time who little by little got me outside. But after 2 years it was even too much for her and she had to walk away. Your not nuts ! And your not going crazy, its just your body reacting to the anxiety. Talk to your PCP about seeing a therapist and get on the right medication. When I first started with the anxiety it was way back in the 1970's and they had no clue what was wrong with me. They called it BAD NERVES back then, by the time they figured out what was wrong with me Anxiety was a NEW word. So see you doctor and get help, it no big deal. Its alot better then suffering for no reason !!!!!!!!  Good Luck !
I know you mentioned that you would wake up with the numbing and tingling. With me, the minute I lay down to go to bed, my shoulders start numbing and then down to my hands. Sometimes my legs and toes get in the act. It's the worst for the first few hours, and then when I finally get into a deep sleep, around 2 in the morning, I sleep pretty soundly. When I wake up, I have the numbness mildly, but it goes away when I start to walk around. I get the numbness intermittently during the day, some days not so bad, other days more frequently. Have your experiences been similar to that at all?
Once the main source of  your anxiety is alleviated (a particular worry), how long before the numbing starts to subside? I was particularly worried about my husband traveling to the middle east, but now he is back safe and sound. He's been back for a week, but my symptoms of numbing are still just as bad, if not worse.
It could take a long time for the numbness to stop. You should really see your doctor. The numbness may not go away at all, or it may just stop. Its not something that you can make stop without some help. It all comes down to a chemical inbalance in your brain. Its nothing to be ashamed of to get treated. If you let it go it could turn into free floating anxiety. Then it will be worse then just numbness, it will strike any part of your body. From your head to your toes. I 've been through it. And its not something to just say, maybe it will go away tomorrow. Get it treated before your sorry.
I didn't know numbness was an anxiety symptom. I have numbness from my hips down starting a few minutes after laying down. When I get up in the morning it takes a couple minutes before I can even walk. Good to finally know why!
Your numbness might not be caused by anxiety, it could be from a disk in your back that puts pressure on a nerve in your back. I would see a doctor about it to make sure thats what is causing your numbness.
Oh. What is that? How is that diagnosed and helped?
Everyday my body aches from head to toe. Literally. Most of the time my spine feels like it is numb but hurts very bad at the same time. My spine feels like it is twisted as do my muscles. And as for my hands and feet getting cold and going numb it happens all the time. My left pinky is going numb right now and it's not from the pc because I rarely use it. I am almost 27 but have had this problem from the time I can remember. Tell me what is wrong with me.     Curious up here in Maine
i have anxiety its taking over my life right now.. i have the tingling in my face left arm and left leg some times its like my whole face get numbs one thing im experincing now is like the back of my head feel strange like something going on inside there and i get this crackling noise when i walk like the candy pop rocks is any body experincing the same thing???
Yea i've experienced that before. I've also felt like i'm floating before, like a physical out-of-body sensation. Right now my whole body is numb. The only thing that has helped me is Lexapro and Vyvanse but unfortunately they only help me for about 4 days at the most. It is very strange that they would help me a lot for a few days then say, "Okay there is your hope, now i'm off." I'm just trying to finish highschool but my mental capacity seems to have gone on vacation and it feels as if i'm stuck in time not getting anywhere. I would hate to be a "loser" just because my anxiety brought me to a nervous breakdown. I'm guessing it's normal to feel a lack of memory and mental/physical fatigue..?
Well turns out, mine is all PTSD related.
I got this symptoms today during my interview to promote to next level of sch...I nearly cried coz i cant even speak properly
i smoked some synthetic stuff, and i had a really bad trip and then right after i had a super bad panic attack and was numb from head to toe. it happened on sunday and i still feel numb on my arms and legs, now im assuming im pregnant cause i missed my period for july. i took 2 pregnancy tests and they were both negative.
I am 20 years old and have been dealing with anxiety for 3 years now I go from being ok to being horrible I have a son who is one and a half and I dont get much sleep but I have realized that sleep is the main thing that will help you out a lot. Also when my anxiety gets really bad and I go into full panic attack my hands go numb then I start to hyperventilate and then my whole body goes numb like its on pins and needles and I have to lay down otherwise i will faint I chose not to take any meds for this and Ive seen two different therapists but it's just so hard to cope with I have one good day then a horrible week where I can't even go out of my house I think now I should try the meds even tho I am very sensitive to them but I can't live like this every day and it's tough when your family friends and co workers have no clue what you are feeling
What did you do for your head thing? I've been getting this a lot and face numbness. All doctors tell me it's anxiety and have given me klonopin but I don't like the way it makes me feel! Anyone else find anything that works besides meds??
same thing here bro minus the pop rocks thing....... but i was told by my primary doctor that all my symptoms were related to stopping vyvanse (30 mg) after taking it for 8months for a whole year and started  (70mg.) about a week ago, he said it is a rare set of sideffects....... but what puzzles me is that this is the first time i have had this reaction
I have an anxiety disorder that is wicked both physically & mentally...
I've had it for 20 years now and have done massive research on anxiety disorders and illnesses
Numbness through out the body is common with panic.
In some cases, it can occur daily.
For me, I have an attack every morning. (its been 5 years now with the symptoms of feeling numb, mostly in the face, but generally through out the body)
Without medication, I can not control the attacks or numbness.
The type of numb feeling that is related to anxiety, is a bit different from poor circulation.
You'll feel as if dental novocain is waring off in your face, then you begin to realize its through out the body.
This is both physical and psychological.
My face - lips and cheeks are numb, and my whole body, I can't sleep, and I feel like I'm in a dream, the doctors told me it could be something that has to do with aniexty and should go away, but its been two or three days now and I'm scared... I feel weird I feel light and out of my body, and I just feel really strange can someone help!? :,(
has anyone had an Aniety type seizure. I have been tested for epilsepsy and do not have it.
I have had numb fet, lower legs, forearms and face.
All of a sudden after a morning strech, my body started jerking and shaking antil I fell to the ground. My arms went up in clenched fists over the sides of my head and. I bit my tonque. Anyone else had something similar? I am taking anti depresants for quite a while, but have beed extremly stressed.
I just had an experience where I was in the shower and both arms went numb and I got really lightheaded like I was going to pass out. I also felt a heaviness in my legs. The numbness went away within a few minutes, but I was lightheaded the rest of the day. The day after I experienced shakey (shaky) hands. Had blood pressure and sugar checked and both were normal. The nurse practitioner mentioned a panic attack as a possible cause. Thoughts?
hi im 23 now....im having numbness,tingling,shaky hands, and body pain past 4 months and when i be alone at home its accor more seriously and when i be around with friends its will be normal...and most of the time im been worrying about my health.its started after i gt acid reflux and most of the time i worried about it and cant relax. i already do a anxiety test in online and the result come around 80% and its prove that i got anxiety , is this caused by depression or something else??
I have never comment on a site like this but I feel completely at a loss,
For the past 2 & a half weeks I have had numbness and pins & needles on the left side of body from head to toe, I have been thru examinations after examinations by my Doctor who I have been seeing for 9 years and knows my history well & my Anxiety Disorder but all he is saying is it is anxiety but I am scared he is wrong and is just putting everything down to anxiety, I was wondering if anyone else has these symptoms? it finally went away for one day than bammm back :( so out of 14teen days it has gone once :( I am a single mum with 3 babies and just very stressed and scared.
Thannkyou
This is something that has happened to me on three occasions now.  Once in the morning about 6 months ago. Then I had it happen two night ago and then again the next morning.  I do not know what to make of it.  Numbness started in my back right around my armpits/shoulder blade area and down my triceps.  Only lasted around a minute but was enough to send me almost into shock, just so unexpected and a horrible feeling.  I thought about going to the ER and I will if it happens again because Im just not sure if its the panic attacks / anxiety I suffer from or what.  Also, I get chest tightness that seems to last hours! Throat tightness up above adams apple area, anyone else get these symptoms that last that long?  The only way I can put a stop to it is to jack up the Xanax to around 2mg and wait for it to hit full strength which for me takes around 90 minutes.  Stomach pains also and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (read somewhere that as much as 60% of IBS sufferers had anxiety issues, sounds like the anxiety causes much of this problem as well.)  Im tired of suffering with panic attacks and anxiety.  Does anyone ever get better from this?  What are the best drugs or drug combinations some of you have found to help control this?  
CRSeaside commented on photo
1 hr ago
meegWpaw commented on Rosy?
1 hr ago
CRSeaside commented on Jade59's status
1 hr ago