ANXIETY
COMMUNITY
Brain shock sensations when trying to fall asleep
by GuamBaybe, Feb 17, 2008
I'm having this problem with my brain that right before I fall asleep I get this weird sensation in my brain that wakes me up again right when I'm falling asleep. The feeling I get is either a falling sensation (not the kind you dream of falling off a cliff or tripping over something then waking up), a "shock" to my brain or like my brain is preventing me from sleeping on purpose. I hope I'm describing it okay.... but it's very frustration because my body is SOOOOO tired but my brain will not let me sleep due to these brain twitches that prevent me from fully falling asleep. Has anyone else had this? If so, does anyone have any answers of what this is? or what i can get tested for or talk to my doctor about? I've gotten an MRI and an MRA done and everything was normal.... I use to have hypochondria before and I've been told by my doctor it MIGHT be due to anxiety but I don't like when doctors say "might be..." I would rather them tell me they don't know so I can ask another doctor...... please help someone!!! :(:(:(:(
Member Comments (54)
by JSGeare, Feb 17, 2008
Actually, I have those every night and have taken them to be the sure sign that I'm about ready to fall asleep. It is as though my concious, awake mind is being fragged off kicking and screaming to go to sleep. And I usually jump -quite a bit- in response to the shock. My partner has learned to cover up!

So -try understanding it differently. You know its not hurting you, right? So maybe it is your brain just complaining that it doesn't want to sleep yet.

Please keep us advised on what you discover.
by GuamBaybe, Feb 17, 2008
Thank you for your response. I never even asked myself that question "Is it hurting me?" the simplest things make a person feel somewhat better thank you :) I will keep inmind that it's not hurting me and I'm gonna see if it helps me actually fall asleep sooner than staying up all night and falling asleep one hour b4 i have to get up... heheh... thank you again I will keep you posted :)
by JSGeare, Feb 17, 2008
Its sounds carzy, I know, but that's what worked for me! Good luck.

-S
by Pa1965, Feb 17, 2008
I just wanted to let you know that I have had the EXACT same thing happen to me.  It started over two months ago.  I have been on Clonazepam for 11 years for my panic disorder and was doing great all along.  It's kept my panic and anxiety at bay with no side effects.  Then over two months ago, I had this horrible insomnia where I couldn't sleep at all for days, and what you explained is exactly word-for-word what I was going through.  My mind was so tired and wanted to sleep, but as soon as I would just start to drift off, I'd get this weird mind shock feeling that would jar me awake, and I was barely getting by due to this.  I never did find out what it was.  I am now getting to sleep very easily, so it did go away, but since then, I can't get a full night's sleep.  I always wake up through the night unable to get back to sleep...well, sometimes I can, but I haven't had a full night's sleep since.  I'm not sure what has allowed me to stop these weird feelings and allowed me to get to sleep again.  I did start taking 1 mg of the Methyl form of Vitamin B12 (sublingual) daily with 1000 mgs per day of Vitamin C and Chamomile tea before bed.  I'm not sure if that's what helped or if it's just a coincidence.  

Anyway, good luck.  Hopefully yours will stop as mine did.  I wish I knew what it is.  Sorry I couldn't have been more help, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone as it happened to me as well not so long ago, and this ongoing sleep problem I'm having may still be related.  I'm just waiting for a neurotransmitter test, so hopefully that will reveal something so that I can balance those out with amino acid supplements and get my sleep back again.  That may be something worth looking into for yourself as well.  I get the test in the mail through Sabre Sciences, in case you're interested.    
by Jade59, Feb 17, 2008
What you describe is exactly what happened to me when I quit smoking.  I went through terrible withdrawal that caused an increase in my anxiety to the point of panic attacks and these "brain shocks" were happening constantly.  Like you, I was sooo tired and it seemed the more tired I got, the more the shocks happened which, in turn, made it almost impossible to relax.  Have you quit any meds or stopped smoking, anything like that?  Sometimes, withdrawal from something might not happen immediatly, it may take a few days, a week even, so we end up not relating the two incidents.  

Take care.........
by Sunes, Feb 17, 2008
due to medication...YOU GUYS think hard and read your own posts again and again  and see why you are getting these weird symptoms....either your brain is starved (lack of vitamins)or you are on medication that does these strange things as a side effect. Read orthomolecularvitamincentre.com site for more info on vitamins.And read and research your meds on Google.It helps me with my problem.Take care, Sunes.
by JSGeare, Feb 17, 2008
Just wanted you to know that I deleted your other post about the brain shock thing because it appeared identical to this one -there was no problem with it other than being (it appeared) a duplicate.

-JSGeare
by MMomma, Feb 17, 2008
I get them alot to...I pray everyday that it will be a night were I don' t get him..there really un-comfortable... and annoying,, Ur not alone.. They suck but I have never been able to get and answer from an doctor so if they honeslty  thought they were harmfful something would have been done about them.. If i fell like ita going to be that one of those nights, i take a hot hot bubble bath..and just try to read tillm eyeballs have to be taped open.
god bless, ur in my prayers
by gentle51, Feb 17, 2008
My head just feels wierd before going to sleep. I jerk a lot in the night according to my husband. Sometimes the jerks wake me up. So I go to sleep listening to soft music. It works for me. Now if I can get my body to stay in bed for 6-7 hours I would have it made. These shocks, jerks and twinges are annoying I know but as said before they aren't hurting you. If they keep you up maybe you should ask your Dr. if he recommends anything.

Peace to You