Anxiety Community
Brain shock sensations when trying to fall asleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I'm having this problem with my brain that right before I fall asleep I get this weird sensation in my brain that wakes me up again right when I'm falling asleep. The feeling I get is either a falling sensation (not the kind you dream of falling off a cliff or tripping over something then waking up), a "shock" to my brain or like my brain is preventing me from sleeping on purpose. I hope I'm describing it okay.... but it's very frustration because my body is SOOOOO tired but my brain will not let me sleep due to these brain twitches that prevent me from fully falling asleep. Has anyone else had this? If so, does anyone have any answers of what this is? or what i can get tested for or talk to my doctor about? I've gotten an MRI and an MRA done and everything was normal.... I use to have hypochondria before and I've been told by my doctor it MIGHT be due to anxiety but I don't like when doctors say "might be..." I would rather them tell me they don't know so I can ask another doctor...... please help someone!!! :(:(:(:(
Actually, I have those every night and have taken them to be the sure sign that I'm about ready to fall asleep. It is as though my concious, awake mind is being fragged off kicking and screaming to go to sleep. And I usually jump -quite a bit- in response to the shock. My partner has learned to cover up!

So -try understanding it differently. You know its not hurting you, right? So maybe it is your brain just complaining that it doesn't want to sleep yet.

Please keep us advised on what you discover.
Thank you for your response. I never even asked myself that question "Is it hurting me?" the simplest things make a person feel somewhat better thank you :) I will keep inmind that it's not hurting me and I'm gonna see if it helps me actually fall asleep sooner than staying up all night and falling asleep one hour b4 i have to get up... heheh... thank you again I will keep you posted :)
Its sounds carzy, I know, but that's what worked for me! Good luck.

-S
I just wanted to let you know that I have had the EXACT same thing happen to me.  It started over two months ago.  I have been on Clonazepam for 11 years for my panic disorder and was doing great all along.  It's kept my panic and anxiety at bay with no side effects.  Then over two months ago, I had this horrible insomnia where I couldn't sleep at all for days, and what you explained is exactly word-for-word what I was going through.  My mind was so tired and wanted to sleep, but as soon as I would just start to drift off, I'd get this weird mind shock feeling that would jar me awake, and I was barely getting by due to this.  I never did find out what it was.  I am now getting to sleep very easily, so it did go away, but since then, I can't get a full night's sleep.  I always wake up through the night unable to get back to sleep...well, sometimes I can, but I haven't had a full night's sleep since.  I'm not sure what has allowed me to stop these weird feelings and allowed me to get to sleep again.  I did start taking 1 mg of the Methyl form of Vitamin B12 (sublingual) daily with 1000 mgs per day of Vitamin C and Chamomile tea before bed.  I'm not sure if that's what helped or if it's just a coincidence.  

Anyway, good luck.  Hopefully yours will stop as mine did.  I wish I knew what it is.  Sorry I couldn't have been more help, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone as it happened to me as well not so long ago, and this ongoing sleep problem I'm having may still be related.  I'm just waiting for a neurotransmitter test, so hopefully that will reveal something so that I can balance those out with amino acid supplements and get my sleep back again.  That may be something worth looking into for yourself as well.  I get the test in the mail through Sabre Sciences, in case you're interested.    
What you describe is exactly what happened to me when I quit smoking.  I went through terrible withdrawal that caused an increase in my anxiety to the point of panic attacks and these "brain shocks" were happening constantly.  Like you, I was sooo tired and it seemed the more tired I got, the more the shocks happened which, in turn, made it almost impossible to relax.  Have you quit any meds or stopped smoking, anything like that?  Sometimes, withdrawal from something might not happen immediatly, it may take a few days, a week even, so we end up not relating the two incidents.  

Take care.........
due to medication...YOU GUYS think hard and read your own posts again and again  and see why you are getting these weird symptoms....either your brain is starved (lack of vitamins)or you are on medication that does these strange things as a side effect. Read orthomolecularvitamincentre.com site for more info on vitamins.And read and research your meds on Google.It helps me with my problem.Take care, Sunes.
Just wanted you to know that I deleted your other post about the brain shock thing because it appeared identical to this one -there was no problem with it other than being (it appeared) a duplicate.

-JSGeare
I get them alot to...I pray everyday that it will be a night were I don' t get him..there really un-comfortable... and annoying,, Ur not alone.. They suck but I have never been able to get and answer from an doctor so if they honeslty  thought they were harmfful something would have been done about them.. If i fell like ita going to be that one of those nights, i take a hot hot bubble bath..and just try to read tillm eyeballs have to be taped open.
god bless, ur in my prayers
My head just feels wierd before going to sleep. I jerk a lot in the night according to my husband. Sometimes the jerks wake me up. So I go to sleep listening to soft music. It works for me. Now if I can get my body to stay in bed for 6-7 hours I would have it made. These shocks, jerks and twinges are annoying I know but as said before they aren't hurting you. If they keep you up maybe you should ask your Dr. if he recommends anything.

Peace to You
Been there, done that too.  Anxiety for me.  It sucks, but doesn't hurt you.  I have to take Tranxene to help me sleep, so it keeps me from having the "zaps".  I hate taking meds, but I hate the anxiety worse!!
I got weird head 'zaps" and "shocks" when I went off of Paxil last year when I got pregnant.  Of course, nobody told me I had to wean off the Paxil so that's why it happened to me.  It took  a total of 2 weeks for them to stop completely.  
I have gone on and off depression and anxiety meds for years. I always get the zaps if i come off them too quickly. I have been taking 75mg effexor for the last year and i finally feel "normal".

those zaps are a real sunufagun, aren't they?
thank you all for your posts..... I haven't taken Xanax for my panic attacks in soooo long and I just started again so I'm thinking it might be that... I'm hoping cause then I can have a solid answer for now. I even feel really fidgety during the day. I'm going to try your methods and see if any of them help. Thanks again and keep me posted on how yall are doing :):):) my prayers to all of you.
if you haven't been taking any medication forever then it's obviously not withdrawls or due to medication. maybe your xanax is wearing off and axiety is returning during this time. that's common with xanax. ups and downs due to it's very short halflife.or maybe it's just anxiety returning. it happens with this disorder. it waxes and weens. comes and goes. it's nothing to worry about, just like anxiety, scary but can't hurt you. i say this because you have been to the docs and they feel the same. plus having hypochondriac tendencies are certainly exhasberating this problem. worry worry, stress. anxiety, panic....psychosomatic symptoms...self fulfilling prophecy.
I am having brain shock sensations and its driving me crazy. Mine come in the middle of the night when I'm already asleep, and they wake me up. Last night they were so bad that I couldn't fall back asleep or do anything, and I felt really anxious. It was so unpleasant! It was like trying to tell my brain to quiet down. I haven't gone off any meds but I'm also dizzy, nauseous, experiencing vertigo...I have tried to see a doctor and they don't find anything wrong with me. Any ideas?
Hi there, I have had these all my life. I would walk on the street and fall down, miss a stair, broke a glass, got bitten by a dog and I always thought that was a sign that I was ready to fall asleep. I do not suffer from insomnia at all and in fact I feel reassured that this happens as I take it as a sign of being ready to fall a sleep. of course I always wake up my wife by jumping around... Shall I worry about this? Also I not not smoke, do drugs or take medication of any sorts.
Its called exploding head  syndrome.Your doctor probably wont know about it. I still do not know the full cause or a cure. Supposivly it does no harm. It is common also when comming off of some entheogens, mushrooms, lsd, ecstasy.

When com,ing off of paxil , or any other another precribed medicine tell your doctor your coming off to quickly. It may be completely different then exploding head syndrome when from medication and probably not harmless.

dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_synrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_zaps#.22Brain_zaps.22_and_.22electric_shock_sensations.22
I experienced those too. I tried hard to figure out what and why and when it was happening and i found out that the brain shock is happening when im tired and was happening more when i was smoking cannbis and there was a patern that was triggering them in relation to my thoughts especially those in the long term memory or weird thoughts. Back then i was on no meds exept i was smoking cannabis... It's maybe a synapse that goes where it shouldn't that's triggering an overeaction. I don't know it's really strange i have to admit.

And for the falling sensation in bed while tryin to sleep it's normal and everyone can experience them. No need to be on meds or anything and they are not due to seizures.
It's only a counsious shut down down of the body ( your mind is supposed to be asleep when this happen but sometimes it can happens while your mind is still working and this can be in the subcounsious ).
I have had this problem for some time. I am pretty sure it is related to my use of paxil, effexor over a ten year time period. Just as I am on the verge of falling asleep I get shocked in my head.  When the problem started noone was aware of its existence. Doctors looked at me blankly when I described the problem. I have a severe sleep disorder as well which I suspect is also related to my withdrawal from these drugs. I went without sleep for pretty much four years. It has been hell. I manage it now but I know it is not cured. I cannot drink or take any meds whatsoever.  I hope your problem is cured. I wish you the best of luck.  My biggest regret is that I ever started taking these drugs which have ruined my life. I urge anyone reading this to stay away from them.
Yes this happens to me but only following either heavy exstacy usage or when I have missed a couple of doeses of SSRI antidepressant drugs, I would say this is definately linked to both.  The sensation to me in an extreme case is like being hit with a hammer on the head seconds after drifting off to sleep.  
interesting, i get those at random times, even when awake. Sometimes I feel like a mini black out for a second.

For sleep, I don't know how I stumbled across this but i put all my focus on breathing from my belly, just the is-ness of the moments, and try Not to fall asleep, works like a charm and i sleep like a baby. I actually enjoy laying with the light off and meditating my way to sleep. Anyway, might be worth a try?
I have had these for a few months now every night and it is very scary. I am weaning off Paxil after being on it for 13 years and even though I am tapering at a snail's pace I still get this and it *****. If you are not on any meds then yours may be easier to treat since it is not drug induced.

I would suggest Magnesium as it is very good for muscle twitches. Don't get the Mag Oxide kind because it is not well absorbed well and can cause diarrhea. Try the Glycinate, Orotate or Citrate kind. Citrate can cause diarrhea as well but not as bad as oxide as it is absorbed better. Take about 200-250mg before bed and see if it helps. You can also try a warm bath with Epsom Salts before bed. Epsom Salts are magnesium and you absorb it through your skin and it is very relaxing. Valerian is also good but everyone reacts differently to it so proceed with caution. Calms Forte is a herbal sleep remedy that sometimes helps me. It has Passion Flower, hops, oats, etc. and is very safe and non addicting. Warm chamomile tea before bed is nice too. Relaxation exercises are worth a try as well. As you can see I have a lot of suggestions cause I have tried EVERYTHING. Since mine is drug induced it's not as easy to alleviate, but all these things have helped me somewhat and might do wonders for you.
thank god i found this page. I'm having the same problems ever since I started having Panic attacks in December. I would get these "falling sensations and brain twinges" that would cause me to open my eyes, but only when I'm in the process of falling asleep. I've also been really sensitive to sounds at night while in the process of falling asleep and they help trigger the jolts. It's so weird, but I've had almost every test done, (bloodwork, brain MRI's, EKGS, etc) and they all came back normal. Pretty scary stuff. but i eventually end up falling asleep somehow, so i guess it isn't anything serious, and it's just a result of the continuing anxiety/depression i've been suffering from.
this is new to me i have had these Zaps for a month now. i am not medicated in any way i just turned 30 and was worried it may be an early symptom of something awful. when it starts i sit up and meditate deep breathing, but that seams to have little affect. the Zaps can be so powerful they twitch my face or slam my upper body strait up. and not only can i feel them in my head i can hear them and form time to time i can see this flash of a blueish white lite inside my eyes. this is annoying and frustrating, however in a sick way it is becoming a pleasurable torment. the sensation is unlike anything else.
i also have brain zaps.i think its because of ativan. they arent as bad as they used to be when i was weaning off lexapro though...benzo zaps are okay compared to antidepressant zaps!
I used to have these brain attacks around 4-5  years ago, recently they started again.  I believe its because of depression or some type of anxiety.  Last night I experience it again, only this time I woke up before I let it zap me for 3-5 seconds.  I immediately took IBProfen and it went away.  Well good luck with my solution but I keep on hearing people say try to relax.  I will try but for now, I might try more meds or a natural solution.  I'll keep you posted, please let me know if this helps you.
I have had these sensations for a few months now and are at random times throughout the day. They are only in the top of my head and do not shoot through my body but I also get lightheaded. I believe them to be caused by stress and sleep deprivation but I am no Dr.It scares me though because my mother has seizures that began when she was my age and my friends mom has had the same problem as well and she started having some major seizures. You cant say they aren't harmful because you cannot see inside your head so best to get things checked out. If you have covrage get things checked!!
well...i need to write this out so I can see how "crazy" i am.  I have experienced anxiety attacks for the first time this summer (like a rush comes over your head and settles into your chest and tightens up)  SCARY!! 1rst e.r. visit .  Ok son, your fine.  no heart attack. Second time...er visit.  Oh Son your good.  no heart attack   Well...both of these events came around me worrying about a lump under my arm (1st attack - nothing big in the end) and second attack came on by worrying about being constipated (and an overactive imagination)   So the er dr. orders me to get a echo stress test on my heart..and I did this week.  YAY!  everything is perfect with my heart.  Did I meantion that Im 37 male who smoked for 15 yrs (before) and is on Simvystatin for high cholesterol.  Anyways , you would think that I would be happy now, but no!  I guess a few things attached to me through all this.  I am worried that I have every illness known to man (today I convinced myself that i have menongitus because my neck hurts)  Crazy is my new name..  I worry over everything - have strange chest sensations/ and do not sleep very well.  Just as I am about to fall asleep I get a shock-like form of adrenaline shoot from my brain into my chest.  It is horrifying because it wont relent.  Everytime i almost fall asleep then BOOM.  I need to sleep..what should I do?

Rob
Stop that boat and let me on it. Lol. It's the same for me the first time it happen I was up till about 4:45am then came along a panic attack. I really thought I was the only one and that I was going crazy. And I'm not onany medz as yet, dont drink don't smoke. Anxiety is a b***h
Sounds like SSRI withdrawl (withdrawal). If you are taking this medicine in the morning you may be experiencing withdrawl (withdrawal) by night. Try to slowly get off this destructive medication designed for profit!
these shock like feelings have happened to me for the last 8 or 9 months always right before falling asleep. Not sure but it all started after the diagnosis of high blood pressure. It kinda scares me and has me like everyone else typing in this forum. I guess the medicine could be related not sure. I did read something on Hypnotic shock where the body is shutting down in the sleep process and could cause a shock to the system, somatic I think. Anyways I wonder why there is not more information out there. Let me know if anyone knows more.....
I've been getting these brain shocks since I was about 13 they usually happen to me at night randomly  threw out the year ..... I get very very sleeping and a feeling that something is trying to pull my soul from my body  .....the weird thing is that I experience THE PARANORMAL  sometimes I can remember but its very short let me also add that while this brain shock is happening the rest of my body is totaly disabled and I can't move for the exception of my eyes neck  nd on occasions  I've even herd my self talk but not in English or Spanish something very very weird ...I've seen things that people wouldn't believe nd have learned to pay attention while this is happening the only thing that wakes me Is fear the longer I tolerate the shocks the more I feel like I'm slipping away from my body ....if this has happen to you email me ***@**** I want to hear your experiences thank you  
i went off dothep after six years and i was only on that for pain.Have had head shocks ever since and they just don't go away.I am prepared to put up with them to stay off the medication.No one seems to have a cure so hopefully one day it will go away.I find it worse if i get up through the night and then try to go back to sleep.
Hi, i too become totally paralysed if I let the "shock" run it's full corse. When comming out of the paralysis, it's like a thousand needles, tingling sensation that is similar to when your leg, arm etc falls asleep. I have never experienced any "paranormal" event / feeling and don't believe in its existence. However, I have learnt to control these brain shocks and when I feel them coming on, a strong like current building up all over the body and a buzzing (zzzzrzzrzrzzzrz) sound, I sit up quickly in bed and pinch myself lightly on the checks and ears. Sometimes, when its a stronger feeling, I need to clap my hands to remove the sound and stop the "explosion". This works but might happen in a bad night 5-8 times.. If I do not stop it, the is a tremendous "Bang" and then quite resulting in complete paralysis. I cannot lift even a finger. I can't be exact but I think it lasts for about 30 to 60 seconds and is extremley scary and unpleasant.
They started happening around 14 / 15.  
hey please email me I will code my email throughout the not so they dont mask let's just pretend im a hot male at a dot COMputer. charvey followed by 12345 no spaces or dots is the first part of the male. Ive just had my worst shock to date they only ever last for about a second for me, but this one has left my the right side of my brain feeling heavy and tingly. I cant say they are paranormal but there was one night after it happened I went to slepp dreaming a song that I know I have never heard and sung by a girl I have never saw or i dont know exists or not. i know this sound weird but that was the craziest thing i ever felt right now, my body was fine but the jolt went through my brain so hard my entire body jumped in the air, have you any further advice please email thanks,
I started having these same symptoms when my job changed my schedule to graveyard. It didisappeared after almost 3mos. I was also taking paxil for depression topped with xanax for my anxiety attacks. Well that was the calm before the storm. After a couple of months, I was back to square one. My doctor switched me to a generic welbutrin. On my second refill I received a generic from different mfg. All hell broke lose. I started having night terrors. My brain was literally doing rollercoaster rides for seemed like minutes on end. To make thinks worse, I now experience them all the time... mixed in with hypersensitivity. All my senses trigger the brain shocks now to the point of nausea. Today the doctor started to tapped me off my meds and prescribed trazadone to get me to sleep. I am hoping this course of action helps because I am at wits end.
What an interesting string to read! I'm 38 now and have been suffering from this for a good 20 years. I have taken different antidepressants throughout the years for anxiety. I have also taken Xanax and ambien as needed. I cannot figure out any rhyme or reason to my attacks. I haven't had them in a couple of years, and they have started up again a couple of weeks ago. I do believe they are related to anxiety, and I feel like an idiot trying to explain it to the doctors. My bloodwork and an MRI were both fine.

Mine ONLY ever happen when I'm trying to fall asleep, and unlike many of you, mine do not affect my body... only my head and neck.

I'm a teacher, and when I'm suffering at night, I try to think of analogies so my husband can try to understand. This is how I can best explain the sensation...

It's like there are hundreds of tiny, electrified hooks on my brain, and someone has gathered all the strings and is pulling on them.

My most recent analogy is that my body is a huge ant farm. During the day, the ants are busy doing their business, all spread out, and moving around. When I'm trying to fall asleep and having an attack, it's like all the ants have flooded into their tunnels in my brain... they're all cramped in there and vibrating with commotion.

I have tried taking a Xanax during an attack and it doesn't help. The ambien does help, but it has to be a whole pill.

It is sheer agony, and I dread these nights it happens.

*I know my descriptions sound crazy. I promise I am not on any illegal drugs.

Sent from my iPad
Hi jade59'

I found your comment extremely helpful. 3 days ago I tried quitting alcohol cold turkey after 10 years of abuse. The first night. I got no sleep. My heart was pounding. My head felt like it was going to explode. I got up and called in sick the next day because I had such bad tremors I couldn't even brush my teeth. Last night every time I came close to falling asleep I got these shocks in my head that woke me up,or I felt this falling from the sky feeling. Did not sleep either  In addition to my 30 mg last night I took a half a pill 15 mg and I seem a little more settled. I am no longer hearing things that aren't there. I plan on just taking the remaining half a pill tonight but I'm so scared of those shocks again. Wish me luck and will report my progress. I'm so tired.
I also experience these 'brain zaps' and 'light flashes' a few years now. It occurs to me mostly when trying to sleep or meditate but can happen anytime when i'm trying to think deep.

At first it was kinda scary but i've learned to accept and enjoy it. You can go in a dreamlike state but be fully aware of what your doing, its called lucid dreaming and is faster achieved by hearing a certain 'noise' or frequency.

I'm not so good at explaining things so i REALLY REALLY recommend you people to watch "Spirit Science" 1-20 on youtube and do some research yourself on the topics they discuss, it might help you in a lot of ways ;)

@ anxiouslyawake, the worst thing that you can do is worrying about things my friend :) try to think positive in every way though it can be really hard i know. everything happens for a reason and your body doesnt want to hurt you, your body loves you.

Good luck to you all ! Namaste ! One Love !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VB6h_bWR3Y ( about astral projection and lucid dreaming )
Started with me 10 years ago and now I am 48. Brain shock every 1 minute. Sleep clinic confirmed it.  My Doctors are not sure what the answer is. Some meds help but there are many side affects during the day. My brain zaps cause me never to sleep. Without sleep there are many other issues during the day. This condition is hell on earth. We need more research on this. ASAP. Dennis    
im also a 48 year old male. and im having these 1 second dizzy spells only while falling alsleep and also while im alsleep. i also have weird dreams to.  but i also had 2 ear operations on right ear in 1981 and 1993 which could be the probelm. i also have an anixety disorder and have been on xanic off and on sense 1995.   but i only took the xanic when needed i made sure i did,nt take them all the time because i did,nt want to get addicted to them which im not.   right now i don,t have health asurance so forget seeing a doctor.    but i did have a mri of my brain and ekg back in 2005 and everything was good it was to check my ears.  and one more thing im fine during the day time even when  im working. its only when im falling asleep.   now once in a while during the day i will feel like crap and take a xanic and then i feel fine.  
Omg! The same thing is happening to me three times now! I freakn' hate it. I try to scream, yell to wake up now I just kick really hard to wake up. The scary thing tonight is it sounded like something was tapping or something under my bed I could ven feel it. I really think some thing is in my house! I feel like it is giving me the electric shock feeling. I never had this happen to me before now it's scaring me I really hate the feeling it will happen when I just close my eyes to sleep not hours later after I fall a sleep. I see bright lights and the shock feling from my brain down to my feet and hands I can't open my eyes or yell I try really hard to kick out of it that's the only way I can get out of it! I hope you found out what this is please left me know if you found out. Thank you and sorry that your going through this too!
I have the same thing & my Dr. gave me Zoloft & Ambien. He said it is anciety. I am out of my ambien & the zaps have started again. Uugh!!!!
And to everyone else. Sounds like we all have the same problems but really no answers for help! Mine started up about 8 years ago after going to naturopath and she gave me all sorts of "natural things" to take for insomnia.. but they made it much worse! I was on a high buzz all night long with the internal body temors. Even when I went off them, it took at least 2 years to kind of get back to feeling normal. One doctor suggested I start taking Ativan 1 mg per day for anxiety attacks I had had in the past, and maybe this would help.  It did help very much... the night tremors stopped and I could go to sleep well.  Then we moved and the new doc wouldn't prescribe the Ativan, even though I had been to ER several times for anxiety attacks... so tapered me off.. and those night tremors started again.  I would lay there for hours with that internal buzzing that started in my legs and worked up my body to my chest and head. It would feel like I was going to explode! hearing everyone say this makes me KNOW there is so me sort of nervous system imbalance. I had tried 5-HTP a few years before, that helped quite abit, but this time when I tried it, it didn't help.

As much as I hated to, I would take 1 mg of Ativan on those nights when it was so awful that I thought I was going to explode and shake the bed/my husband to death.  They really helped.. so seems that we need some sort of something to calm that central nervous system.  I too have tried everything for relaxation: self hypnosis, visualization, trying to go to sleep to calming music known to help the sleep patterns relax (didn't work), EFT (meridian tapping).  My job was so stressful that it just brought everything back to the surface (the stress) so without Ativan, it was pretty bad, or really bad sometimes. I was determined not to have to depend on Ativan again as it was hell to get off of and I did pretty good for awhile. One thing I found, and this might help some of you, is that GABA is one supplement that did help me.. not as much as Ativan, but quite a bit for getting to sleep. It didn't really help an accute anxiety attack, but would help me fall asleep. Only trouble was, I was too groggy the next day to drive myself to work.

But GABA is a central nervous system calmer and it works really well with a good sleep tonic that has GABA in it plus the other relaxers. Source Naturels Night Sleep is really good to get a person to sleep BEFORE the tremors come. Like all of you, I could lay there 5-10 minutes and feel OK, then all of a sudden feel the tremors coming and then would feel like I was going to explode. I would have to get up, walk around, pace, do my meridian tapping (helps calm you) and if I hadn't taken anything, take an Ativan. Then of course, I felt guilty for doing it. My problem now is that I also have heart AFib so my heart starts getting jump and irregular as my stress raises, but the heart doctor doesn't understand what I'm saying.

All in all, my only real solution has been taking Ativan, 1 mg a day on a regular basis, and I almost always did not have those tremor problems. Now that I'm off it and have been for 2 years, I was doing really well with sleep until just recently and now it seems to all be kicking up again. So I find myself taking an Ativan "as needed" but only when I'm desparate and worry that my heart is dancing too much.

If anyone does find a solution, I would love to hear it!
Hello, I have the same thing after undergoing sinus surgery by a quack ENT in 2004 and then my situation made worse by being given the wrong medication to treat it by a neurologist, which then gave me Epilepsy, in 2007. (I never had Epilepsy before in my entire life) It's a seizure -- a sleep seizure. Currently being treated with brand name Trileptal, brand name Xanax and Soma and pain meds for when I tore my rotator cuffs in one sleep seizure in 2008. I don't know what to do.
Do these shocks or jolts everyone is feeling, describe like: walking through a doorway, too low and you duck but still bump your head.. Or your sitting into a car, duck but bump your head... What ever the semi-dream is.. Your dogging something so you don't bump your head? It's like the falling dream, only it's with your head. Or is this just me, and totally different from everyone?
This is an old thread, but I am adding a new description.  The sensation I experience is more like an energy wave. There's a sound-sensation with it that reminds me of the star wars light sabre. I get a few of them before falling asleep, and they sort of interrupt the process.  I'm not worried because I do eventually sleep well.  I just find it weird.
I also get these. I suffer from anxiety and take Lexapro. I also take Adivan .5mg when needed which i rarely need. I describe these as very loud white noise. I remember telling a friend of mine I thought I was having seizures during the night. I get them usually when I am super tired and falling asleep. It jolts me awake and then I feel like I am going to have a full on panic attack. I probably get one one a month- give or take. I hope it doesn't get worse. I feel so comforted to have found this thread. I didn't even quite know how to explain it to search it on google. These brain zaps are very scary. Maybe it's attributed to the Lexapro which is an SSRI? Thank you to everyone sharing their story.
Wow, people are actually still commenting. Anyways, my story is quite different. I have similar symptoms but, mine started happening when I started meditating. I meditated for about six months, quite an experience, then I stopped meditating and did not meditate for a long time. Now, when I try to go to sleep I start jumping in bed. It is kind of annoying but, What I have noticed is that when I jump if I concentrate directly on the jumping I go into meditation mode and my body starts to shake even more until I hear a high frequency sound that the shaking is creating. It sounds weird but, it actually feels like what ever is making me jump is like energy that has not been released from my body. So this runs from head to toe then I jump. It is kinda of annoying because I wand to go to sleep.
Hello everyone
i think i can help u guys with this problem and am sure it will help u as it helped me
i use to have this same problem,as soon as i fall asleep something uneasiness happens in my chest and i woke up imediately,.i couldnt sleep at all.,
as time passes by my problem increases day by day and i use to get very irritated and even felt like sucidal tendencies..i even use to slap myself with this irritation of not understanding what the hell is goin on..even the meds dint helped
so i started doing pranayam(yoga) which helped me a lot,i feel more relaxed these days..
i wud recommend eveyone to do these 3 pranayam daily in the moring no matter what
1-deep breathing
2-kapal bharti pranayam
3-anolom vilom pranayam
go google and search it and start doing today and see the changes in 7 days..
i hav seen lot of people getting out of this  problem by doing these simple pranayam

all the best and tc
ashler1977 commented on Salivary gland disord...
specialmom commented on specialmom's status
50000downloads commented on HIV: THE FACTS