Buspar and Coffee
Hi, everyone..
I'm new here. Just started 10 mg/bid of Buspar last Monday and up til today, everything's been great. I haven't felt so good in years. I woke up feeling good after a restful night's sleep, but now I suddenly feel nervous and anxious again. It's been about 3 hours since I took my first 10 mg pill of the day, and I've had about 3 cups of regular coffee at breakfast. Could the coffee be counteracting the calming effects of the buspar, do you think? Could the levels of the drug be too high? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I felt great last week, but today i suddenly feel anxious again and I don't know why.
it's the coffee..i had to stop drinking it,i am also on buspar.
I found nothing in my nursing books to contraindicate coffee with BuSpar, but that isn't proof positive that that can't be a factor in how you're feeling. It would be interesting to see what other users have found in relation to coffee and this med.
Or you could do what dominic did and give it up and see if that was the answer. Just be aware that suddenly stopping coffee can produce some nasty headaches. If you develope a bad headache a day or so after stopping, the proof would be to drink a cup of coffee. If your headache goes away promptly, you'll know why. You may have to taper off the java juice or try decaf. If all else fails, talk to your doc.
Good luck to you.
Peace
Greenlydia
I've been on a total of 10 mg. Buspar per day for about a month, and just in the last three days I have realized that I need to cut my coffee.  The web will tell you that Buspar is a stimulant, and caffeine is as well, of course.
I took Buspar briefly and it did nothing for me except make me nervous.  I never thought about coffee in the AM affecting the Buspar, but I guess it's possible.  I have a friend who swears by Buspar and it has done wonders for her.  I would just taper down on the coffee to avoid that headache.
I took Buspar and it sent me to the ER, that drug is the worst I have ever taken. It game me major panic attacks, horrible electrical shocks like to my legs and arms, couldnt walk without holding onto something, it was truly a nightmare and my doctor kept telling me, my body had to get used to it, I told her, I was getting off the pill immediately and it took me 3 days to get rid of the symptoms.
Buspar was really unpredictable for me; I felt great during the initial week but it turn on me something fierce. I initially thought it was caffeine affecting me as well, but it was the Buspar.

Maybe the Buspar is a good drug for you; I hope so. Maybe cut back on the caffeine and see what happens?
I cut coffee back from two cups to one and one-half two days ago, while taking a total of 10 mg. of Buspar a day (for six weeks so far).  My nervousness ended immediately, though I had a mild headache from even one-half cup withdrawal of coffee.  This morning I took Buspar and did not have any coffee, and Buspar worked much better for me.  I still need the coffee, due to other medication, but I don't think that Buspar and coffee at the same time is the way to go.