Anxiety Community
Buzzing in legs/feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Buzzing in legs/feet

Hi, quick question about anxiety symptoms.  I'm a 41yo male suffering from anxiety.  I have this constant buzzing or vibrations in my lower legs/feet (mostly left) that is just driving me crazy.  I'm thinking of all kinds of things that could be medically wrong with me -- which is causing the huge anxiety that I'm feeling.  Just was curious if anyone else has experienced this.  Also, I get slight numbness and tingling in my toes (both sides) from time-to-time, but mostly in the morning when I wake up shaking.  Thanks!
I have those symptoms also. Mostly in my upper leg though. Doesn't hurt or anything just feels really weird. I keep thinking my cell is going off when it starts. Anxiety most probable cause.C Ya
I totally had the same symptoms as yourself -- slight numbness/tingling in my toes, with a buzzing or vibration in my legs/feet (usually left).  Because of this I have totally scared myself into believing I have MS.  It is just amazing what the mind can do to your body.  I have had a MRI & bloodwork -- and awaiting results.  Dr. does not believe it is MS because I don't have any of the other symptoms.  But it will be great when I get the results.  The numbness/tingling comes and goes -- but it is usually more noticeable in the mornings when I wake up.  Mornings are just rough for me.  I wake up trembling/shaking/heart pounding/palms sweaty/feet cold -- and have to concentrate on my breathing to right myself.  I wonder if I'm having a panic attack when I'm sleeping??  Is this possible?
The tingling feeling is very likely anxiety related.  The physiological explanation is that as your body progresses through a 'fight-or-flight' response (i.e. during anxiety), it draws blood from the limbs producing the tingling/numb feeling. I suffer from GAD and while the tingling feeling isn't nice, it IS harmless.  I've personally found mindfulness meditation very helpful although it takes some commitment and like anything prob doesn't work for everyone.
I had the same buzzing feeling and found out I was B12 deficient.  I got shots every week then every month and they don't buzz anymore.  Hope that helps.
Count me in.  I've posted on this forum and on the neurology forum looking for answers.  

I can go to sleep feeling okay, but wake up with one or both, lately it's been both, feet just buzzing like a hive of bees.  I have no pain, no weakness, no loss of strength, or loss of range of motion.  I feel fine otherwise.  The buzzing is extremely annoying.  I've scared myself into thinking I have ALS, MS, tumors on the spinal nerves, impinged nerves, etc.

I know the quality of my sleep is awful as my family members tell me I have sleep starts, cry in my sleep, scream in my sleep, and have nightmares.  I didn't know that until they told me.

My buzzing is worse when trying to relax but goes away when I'm out of the house and relaxed or with exercise.  Tells me it's not physical.  A physical thing, like ALS, MS, a tumor on a spinal nerve would not get better with exercise.  Also, this has, to one degree or another, been going on for almost ten years for me.  Paxil helped it greatly, but I had to stop it, as it caused uterine bleeding in me. :(
i've had the same buzzing feeling in my feet for the past 2 years. i've had alot of test done all came back normal. still don't understand how  anxiety can cause the buzzing feeling. does anyone else know?
does anyone else get the buzzing feeling in feet or anywhere else?
i to have buzzing in my left leg and foot, before that i was feeling ill, tired and weak all the time, didnt know what it was, so i starting getting scared thinking i had cancer.. doctor said i had viral symptoms.. but before i went to the doc.. i was really stressing my self out thinking about all the horrible things it could be.. then my calves started twitching 24/7 along with the buzzing, i really got freaked thinking i had ALS or MS or some other neurological disorder.. but turns out that stress and anxiety can cause twitching, so im guessing it is possible for the buzzing feeling to be caused by anxiety because they started around the same time.. i havent been worrying to much about it, but its still in the back of my head... but they did calm down a bit..
i also thought i had ms or something else wrong. i had all kinds of test done like 2 mri "s all normal. i've had the buzzing feeling in feet for 2 years. i guess stress and anxiety can do alot to your body.can make your nerves go haywire
I think stress and anxiety make the nerves fire much faster so we feel the strange sensations.  I think the nerves get oversensitized, but I sure don't really know.

Paxil helped me a lot, which shows me at least part of it is stress and anxiety related.  I had to stop taking Paxil, though, as it caused uterine bleeding.

I also have low estrogen and low estrogen can cause buzzing and tingling in the hands and feet.  I'm going to try Amberen.  If that doesn't help, I'm going to see and Internal Medicine specialist or a gynecologist.  My PCP says it's "just stress."  Just.  He doesn't realize how horrible we feel and how the quality of our lives can be so affected.
Did the original poster ever indicate the results of the testing?
I have a longer story than this with more symptoms (see the forum under "My Story") but I wanted to respond to this thread...

One of the first things I noticed with my story was my fingers (ring and pinky, primarily) in both hands going numb. I learned that this was related to the ulnar nerve. Shortly after, I began to feel like my nerves themselves were hyper sensitive (one user mentioned this) and now, six weeks later, they are still rather tender to the touch. If I touch my arm or leg on the nerve, I can feel it through to the extremities. Muscle fatigue/twitches/etc have also been associated, but I wanted to focus on the nerve thing.

If you read my story, you'll find that a catalyst for me was using marijuana. I think it is possible that marijuana acts on the nerves, but I doubt it would last this long.

All my other symptoms nonwithstanding, I am curious if anxiety can actually physically affect the nerves. My sense of touch in my hands also seems hypersensitive. I can feel every ridge of my fingerprints if I rub the tips together. I can also notice a different sensation when I pick up a paper towel - like its rougher than normal.

I understand the fears about MS or other neuro that people have expressed. This is precisely why I am so paranoid right now. If you want to chime in on the rest of my story, feel free in that thread, but here I just wanted to say that I, too, have felt buzzing in the sense of aching/sensitive nerves and that you aren't alone in this mystery or the desire to get it cleared up.
yup - buzzing - tingling - numbness - in feet - in hand(s) - in head - you name it - it does it!!  My dr. is convinced all is related to anxiety - that must mean that its considered a "normal" part of the disorder!!  I wish it would go away - and in time, it may - but to ease your mind - it probably is anxiety related - and may take some time to "ease out" of your system!!  
All of these posts refer to me also, buzzing, tingling, little electric shock feelings, really strange, dr says its stress as I dont have any other symptoms, I think its due to adrenaline, its like all your nerves are screaming!! Its always better when Im busy, you seem to think about it more when you are sat quietly. Take care
Me too ..all of the abovthe tingles and dizzy seems to hang on even when you" beat" the other stuff.......
Hi, I have the same symptoms with the vibration feeling starting from my waste down my legs to my feet. When that feeling comes on me when im walking, i have to stop and wait for a few minutes for it to go away before i continue walking again. Its like my legs freeze up so i can't move. Really scary at times. I went to see a Neurologist and he had me set up to have a MRI, the results came back and it showed I have a large fluid sac on my spine inside my back. The doctor said, it is pressing on my nerves on my spine which is causing the feeling of vibration. I don't know about any of you, but i lose control of my bladder sometimes too when this vibration feeling comes on.
Im not saying this is what is wrong with you all, its just the reason im having this problem and the rest of you might want to have a MRI on your spine done too just to make sure its not anxiety.
I constantly have the numb-buzz-sharp/pinch tingly **** too!
I am twinking trying to see what it could be. My NBSPT runs from my left shoulder all the way down to my left big toe- and as of the last 48hrs it started in my right hand!

I dont even know how to explain the sensation- but its so annoyingly HORRIBLE! I cant feel any true sensations. Its like becoming extremely tactile sensitive. *cry*

But heres my clincher---- Ive been having these absolutly bizzare anxiety attacks to were my entire body feels as if its uncontrolable? Make sense? Maybe not...
It starts off as a stressful moment (argument, agry teenager, bitter sibling, driving in harsh conditions and so on....) 1st I feel like Im going limp all-over, then I cant focus my eyes, I then proceed to slur speech, roll eyes back and drool????? What the heck is wrong with me??? I even start breathing slower? Most of the time I dont even freakin know its happening!

So when you all pin-point the tingly numbing stuff let me know! And then tell me what the heck is this weird seizure that I am having once or twice DAILY!!!!!
does anyone else get the buzzing feeling. feet,legs anywhere?
It amazing! I just found this site yesterday and it's already answered most of my questions.  I too thought something must be medically wrong with me, am I getting Parkinsons or MS?  Everything is related to the Anxiety, and it sucks, to be frank!  I've tried relaxation teqniques, yoga,stretching, walking....It aleviates it mininally.  Unfortunately, I wanted to try the natrual remadies and cure this myself, but medication is the only answer.  I did at first drink alcohol to ease the anxiety, and it helped momentarily, but as I drank the symptoms only got worse....So don't do that, please!  I can finally realize when the anxiety is coming on and I just take deep breaths (because I don't know if you do this, but I noticed I was holding my breath) and then take my medication.  My Dr. put me on a low dose of Adivan 1mg and it does the trick.  At first it made me tired, but I'm now able to tolerate it without feeling funny.  I do love this website and I wish you good luck.....I learned from a friend I met on here to say a prayer, and I will say one for you tonight ;)
Jenny
Shannon....It feels like when I was reading what you wrote, I wrote it myself.  I experience the cramps in my feet and hands at different times throughout the day, they get worse at night for me.  I have been seeing a psychologist who is great (they're few and far between) with his help I realize I'm not going nuts, that it is a physical condition.  The mornings might be tough for you because your worrying about the day ahead or whatever your circumstances might be.  For example, I have 3 children who must all get off to school in the morning.  The stress of wondering if they have everything (lunch money, homework, etc) builds up inside of me.  I am now aware of what causes this reaction in my body.  I was upset at first to think why am I not strong enough to deal with these things.....but guess what....I realized it's just how things are inside of my body's makeup.  The medication definitely helps.  Just make sure at first to take it slow, because it's weird at first, and don't try to feel any effects from it.  I don't know if I'm repeating myself by saying at first I could only take 1/2 of a 1mg tablet because 1mg made me feel funny.  I did what my body told me....not the bottle. I was able to take the 1 mg tablet without any side effects and realized my anxiety was relieved.  That worked for about 8 months, and now i'm noticing that it's not working.  Feeling like a pill popper, I tried two, and it worked.  My problem is I don't want to have to increase my dosage.  Through the help of this site, I realize that there are other medications out there that will work better for me.  I hate that I have to rely on medication, but have come to realize it's the only way for me to feel better.  I'm sorry that I'm rambling, but I've been dealing with these conditions for a long time, and resorted to alcohol.  Been to rehabs and self help groups.  You have to trust in your inner instincts to know that something isn't right in your body, and that you are definitely going crazy.  You have to be frank with your Dr. and let him guide you.....God Bless You <3
Seeing these posts made me remember something that happened a few months ago to me. I used to get this weird buzzing sensation in my head whenever I heard a loud or startling (or sometimes even normal) sound, like a car door slam or someone cough. I know it's not the same thing, because the head and feet aren't related at all...and my doctor ruled everything like MS and a tumor out, and told me it was most likely anxiety-related, due to an increased bloodflow to the head from that "flight or fight" response. I figure, if that could happen to a head, it could happen to the legs/feet as well. Don't take my word for it, though...it's just what I'm assuming. I don't have that sensation anymore, however. It went away when I started seeing a mental health therapist.
-Jim
Hey everyone, its time for my update.
I am still having the seizures but we feel that it has to do with my narcolepsy! Between my doc and me we educated ourselves on cataplexy a derivative of narcolepsy. http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10470

Altho, that we have the seizures figured out and Im only taking adderall (adderrall) for the narcolepsy & klonopin for the cataplectic seizures- I dont think doc has me on the right meds for the cataplexy?

AND this still isn't explaining the half body numbness! I feel we've gotten a little farther - just not far enuf *sigh*
I wish you all luck and PLEASE let me know if any of you find a resolution to the numb body.... I, and many others here need to live normal lives! We need to help eachother.
Thx all, Rebecca
i get the buzzing feeling in my back some times....but the main thing i deal with is muscle twitches/ fasiculations
I am a 48 year old woman. I have the same problem and for me, I think I've figured out that it's a Vitamin B12 deficiency (similar to another poster here).  After about 3 weeks of taking a 500 mcg Vit B12 tablet and a general multivitamin, both daily, the buzzing in my left foot/toe went away.  I then decided to challenge the theory and stopped the Vit B12 and guess what...within a week the buzzing was back.  Just today I restarted the Vit B12 tablet and the multivitamin each day and am expecting the buzzing in my left foot/toe to be gone within a week (I hope I"m right)!  I'm a pharmacist and so of course, I have a theory about this.  For almost a year, I've been suffering with lower back/left hip pain and found out after having an MRI that I have a spinal narrowing in my lower back causing pressure on a nerve there (causing the pain and numbness/tingling in the left leg and foot for the past several months, but not buzzing initially).  I had a steroid injection into the spinal space which completely settled down that nerve and took away the pain and the numbness/tingling. But then the buzzing started!! And that is SO unsettling.  I too first thought what is wrong with me?  MS? ALS? Parkinsons?  And then I thought maybe this is a side effect of the steroid injection?? (but due to my training, I knew that was probably not the case).  Or maybe this is due to nerve damage from the pressure on that nerve by the spine?  But because I also knew due to my training that a Vit B12 deficiency, even slight, can cause some funky problems with your nerves, I decided to try supplementing myself with a tablet every day...and I think it worked.  You know when you think about it, it makes sense.  That spinal nerve of mine that has been pressed on for almost a year now is probably damaged...and my body may be trying to repair it or settle it down by drawing upon my body's stores of Vit B12, thereby depleting them a bit.  This would make sense in terms of anxiety too, because with anxiety your nervous system is always kind of super-charged....so maybe your body tries to settle down your nervous system during anxiety by drawing upon your stores of Vit B12, again, depleting them and causing a Vit B12 deficiency?? just a theory but to my little pharmacist mind, it makes sense :-)  I truly hope you all figure out your situations, I know how scary something like this can be.  Hope I've been helpful. By the way, Vit B12 tablets can be purchases without prescription at any pharmacy or health store.  You can also get it in injection form at your doctor's office.  Thanks, Ann
all i know is it is a symptom i have an have been told its a symptom of agoraphobia
I feel like I can really substantiate the "anxiety" explanation, or at least relate to it.  I work 25 hrs a week, I'm a mom, and I go to college full-time.  The buzzing feeling in my right foot started the other night in class and I though my cell phone was going off in my bag next to me!  It left me puzzled to realize it was my foot.  However, there have been other issues leading up to this.  I have recently been having a hard time coping with everything and I've noticed a pretty steady decent into what I believe is depression/anxiety.  I used to drink a glass of red wine once or twice a month.  That became once or twice a week.  Now it's once a night.  The mood swings, the feeling of restlessness, the twitchiness in my legs, the buzzing in my right foot, the high blood pressure readings.  At first, I couldn't see how anxiety could cause foot buzzing even when I'm not feeling anxious, but apparently, the more posts I read and the more I read about this, it seems like anxiety can affect your overall well being at all times, not just when you're having an anxiety attack.  

What to do now?  I do not have medical insurance and I'm not prepared to pay the thousands of dollars for the slough of tests and MRI's that I'm sure a doctor might have me go through.  At least, not until I have something a little more definitive to give him.  A co-worker has mentioned trying a supplement called Tryptoval.  It supposedly has 5-HTP and the vitamin B complexes.

Has anyone heard of this or does anyone have any advice for the underinsured?
I believe that you are Right-On with the b-12 def....  I had the gastric bypass a couple of yrs ago and developed pernicious anemia....  I went long enough without getting the supplement, (not knowing the horrid side effects of too little), and caused permanent nerve damnage... However, my mental state got 100% better once I started getting the shot of b-12... (Depression: gone, Anxiety: much much better).... And while not all the neuropathy was fixed, a lot of it was....  I think that doctors need to check for this in everyone...  Pernicious anemia is so easy to treat and test for yet it is overlooked so ask your physician to test you and I agree, Ann, b-12 is over the counter and inexpensive and from what I've read, the body rids any unused portions so overdose is almost 0....  Anyway, I hope that this helps a lot of people on here...  My buzzing is gone and while the tingling and numbness isn't, it is much better than it was....  Good luck to all and God Speed...    Sheri
I have O.C.D(anxiety disorder) and I get the exact same symptoms you are talking about
it will not hurt you it is totally ANXIETY!!!!!!!!! my advice as I think another member touched on is Mindulfulness.... You could also try Deep Breathing Techniques.... Breath in through your nose and count to four while doing so... Hold in for one second and exhale slowly counting to four.... Do this for about 5 min or 10 times and you will feel much better....                

I know what you are going through.....
                                              Hope this helps Good Luck
                                                              Nate(+)
Well I have also experienced some of this buzzing.  Mine occurs on the left side of my head.  Talk about scary!  I have been struggling with this for two years and have come to terms that the problem is deffinitely stress and anxiety.  When this problem began I had no idea what it was.  I thought I had a brain tumor or something really bad.  I had ct scans, mri's done even though the doctors told me it was not a tumor.  Well all those results came back normal.  Over time, still being very afraid of this sensation, I started having panic attacks and high amounts of anxiety throughout the day.  I would tremble, shake, get dizzy, have diffuculty breathing, have heart palpitations, going many nights without sleep, and thinking I was about to die!  The problem got so bad I had to leave my job.  I am a professional pilot and having to leave my job was the worst thing that ever happened to me.  Well anyway, I began taking an antidepressant called Cymbalta, and it has really helped.  I no longer have an unbearable amount of anxiety.  I still have small problems with the buzzing sensations in my head, legs, and feet throughout the day but it IS just nerves and I know nothing is detrimentally wrong with me.  I do wish I could make the problem completely go away but so far Ive been unsuccessful.  I do think that a complex B vitamin can help, and I need to begin taking those again.  I took those in the past but I think I gave the antidepressant most of the credit.  I think that a good multivitamin, a complex B vitamin, and cymbalta together can really help alleviate some of these problems more.  Ive also heard that a Magnesium vitamin can help with nerves.  I tried that before too but at the time I was taking so many vitamins that it was upsetting my stomach.  By the way, the first couple of weeks on the Cymbalta can be and was for me complete hell.  It made all the symptoms of anxiety worse and my sleep was even more disturbed with insomnia and nightmares, but all of a sudden at about the 3 week mark, I started feeling better, and better, and better.  At 6 weeks I felt mostly fine and sleep fine.  I stuck it out during those first 3 weeks because I knew it was suppose to start helping at 3-4 weeks.  Anyway I hope this helps someone out there.  This has been my experience and what I have learned over much research.  Im still not 100 % but around 98% better and thats what Ive kinda accepted for life.  Good luck and god bless.
I have been having buzzing in my feet for months.  I also have had some burning sensations and other tingling sensations as well as neck and shoulder pain.  Convinced I had MS I began my search for answers.  I have had blood tests, urine tests, EKG's, a CT scan and an MRI.  I have had my thyroid tested, iron levels etc.etc.etc.  I was cruising MS sites and certain this was my fate.  A friend of mine suggested a B complex vitamin as well as calcium magnesium.  After running it past my doctor I started to take them.....and felt better within weeks.  All of my test results came back normal and I have wasted a GREAT deal of time worrying-which ironically caused my symptoms to be worse.  I still have days where I feel some buzzing in my feet, but usually when I am stressed out or I have even noticed a connection with being a little dehydrated. Of course, it is wise to search for answers-but in the meantime KNOW and understand that anxiety is an illness and it CAN cause the body to have some INTENSE and TROUBLING symptoms.....so try not too panic.
Hi guys ive read all ur storied and w0w i say the same things as many of u. I have found answeres here. I was diganosed with anxiety when iw as 12 but things got better. Then last week i had an anxiety attack. I have noticed that i have been getting small ached in my left leg and now i have this buzzing feeling. I was really freaked out and getting even more anxious thinking it might be a blood clot or something like that. I also have a few muscle twitches. The buzzing seems to get worse when I focus on it. Now i knw u guys can relate to me.
I know I have anxiety and panic attacks.  I am also quit the hypochondriac, that being said, I began to notice the same sort of buzzing in my legs that you all are describing.  So, my first thoughts after searching the internet are MS or Parkinson’s, but I guess ALS is also a possibility.  I thought that a previous poster said that the symptoms would not get better with exercise, if I had MS or ALS.  Does anyone know if this is true?  From my research it looks like ALS is the worst case scenario, Parkinson’s is second worst, and MS is the best of the worst scenarios.  Am I wrong to believe this?  I know that it is most likely anxiety but I am a worst case type person.  If this is affecting your sleep I have discovered a wonderful not addictive pill – trazedone.  It puts me out and I no longer wake up in the middle of the night due to shaking legs.  
I am on cymbalta also, mostly for the breathing problems what dose are you on?  My symptoms got worse before they got better.  I wonder how long you have to take them for?  Have you had any unpleasant side effects?  Did you have to stay up late hours or through with your job?  If you did I think that contributes to the seretonin difficiency which starts the downward spiral, I thought of that when you said you were a pilot.
I have been having these symptoms for over a year now, it all started with a racing heart beat130bpm. I called paramedics, they said I was going to be fine, but over the next month I started having felings of being sufocated followed by palpatations sweating, and then extream shivering. I have had ECG  CT throid blood test all of results were NAD. I get chocking sensations and buzzing in my legs and arms. I was told by my doctor that these were anxiety and panic attacks although the attacks would last minuits the effects would last days. She prescribed citalopram ( god i thought i was going to die on this couldnt even kiss my children goodnight in their beds).I had to stop these drugs and look for alternitives. I had a course of hypnotherapy. I decided to try herbal tea, camomile and green tea are now great. I take vit b complex. and have lavender oil to hand. I still get symptoms today but nothing compared to what I had last year. Has anyone tried St Johns Wort I would like to here about any side effects, or 5htp..
My doctor said I was depressed, but I feel fine I am just tired of fighting these symptoms everyday its tiring.
I have just found this site and oh my god am i glad i did, I've been having these buzzing symptoms for a week or so now and I honestly was going out of my mind with worry even though i tried to rationalise with myself that it was probably nothing (i am currently suffering from depression and anxiety) I'm really interested to hear about the b12 deficiency thing as i have recently had blood tests done which showed that i might have a tendancy for pernicious anaemia so i think i'll give the b12 vits a go, my question is how high a dose should i use?
And again a big thanks to everyone here !
Relax...relax.  This is a very common symptom of anxiety.  I get the buzzing thing too.  If you had MS, trust me my neurologist tells me you would know it.
thanks Jim, the smart side of me keeps telling myself this but then the part of me thats crazy works it's cruel magic and off i go again.Learning to relax is incredibly hard especially when your the sort of person who even worries why I haven't got anything to worry about that day (crazy person I know ).............Any tips would be welcomed!
Forgot to say I had my first meeting with a counsellor today so I hope thats gonna get me on the right track
Hello fellow anxiety sufferers. I say felloe sufferers because what I am reading here in ALL these posts is mostly people suffering from anxiety but actually do not have an understanding of how anxiety effects your nervous system and the effects that can have on your body.
For a start, let me list a few symptoms I have had...
Muscle Twitching.... Random twitches everywhere from eyes to toes and all in between.
Muscle Tension....  For me mainly my stomach muscles.
Muscle ringing/buzzing.. Just started recently in left shin area and a little in my foot
Stomach bloating and gassy feelings and noises.
Fatigue.
Weight loss

Just to name a few..
ALL ANXIETY..
For months I was worried sick it was all those nasty diseases mentioned above. Only as I didn't know that anxiety can cause all these nasty things. You see when you have had anxiety for a period of time your body/nerves  becomes  over sensitised. Ths the symptoms.. Does this following sequence sound familiar to a lot of you?    
1. Stress 2. sensitisation 3. Symptoms 4. Bewilderment and fear of symptoms.
Thats how it went for me. And when this happens you get caught in the viscious circle.
So you start thinking worst case scenario, you google all your symptoms, you find the nasty things and makes you even more afraid. You are adding to your fear, this causes your body to become even more sensitised. So more symptoms.
When your stressing out like this and worrying you are producing more hormones. In this case Adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones set the body in the fight or flight state. Increased heart rate, increase in blood pressure, muscles tense etc So you can start to see that if you are in this viscious circle for a period time ( it's different with everyone ) that eventually your body is going to start to show symptoms. I hope this makes sense. It is so easy for people to get caught in the fear  - adrenaline  - fear cycle because they don't understand how the body reacts to prolonged anxiety.
Not understanding is probably their/your greatest enemy.
What I suggest is reading a good self help book on anxiety.. My recommendation is a book called " complete self help for your nerves " by Claire Weekes. It worked and keeps working wonders for me. ( I got some of the info i wrote above from this book)
The second thing i did was became a member of a web site called anxiety centre.  I www.anxietycentre.com
I thoroughly recommend you join this site.  It's like doing your own CBT ( Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)  It also has a great section in there on all the symptoms and how the symptoms come about. It really puts your mind at ease and once that happens you are on your way to recovery already.. If you want to chat more feel free to send me a message.
This was just a quick message with some info but if you want to chat more about it feel free to message me.
Cheers
Doogie
hi again, had my first meeting with my counsellor and although she said we will get more in depth this week she did tell me ( and gave me me some booklets to read) to think of a triangle of things being ,thoughts, physical feelings and behavour and that they are in no particular order, the aim is to try to break this triangle at any one of these points thus creating a break in the cycle( they make it sound so easy )does this sound familliar to any one and if so how do you go about this ?
I also have  tingling and buzzing feelings,sometimes in my left leg and/or foot,sometimes causing me to walk with a limp,sometimes accompanied by a dull migraine,sometimes light is intensified in daylight,and spots are seen in a dark room.The diagnoses has repeatedly been stress,but often I have had my doubts,and believed it to be some neorological problem perhaps exagerated by stress.I think that any illness or disorder that isnt very cronic (chronic) is difficult to diagnose.I have had more than my fair share of worry and anxiety in my life,so reading the above commentries,could explain my symptons,which incidently,are causing me a lot of anxiety in themselves.
I have had buzzing in my body - since August 2008....
Started in feet, went up legs, then into body, 9 months later...
Went to a bunch of Dr's - they do not know what is causing this....
Last month - my neurologist decided to prescribe a medicine for me called,
" Claritin "... I have the generic brand.." Loratadine "....10 mg's at night...A few hours before bed....The very first night, I slept a normal amount of hours... I am still sleeping alot better....(and I hadn't before)....AND....the buzzing in my body....IS MUCH BETTER !!!
Hi Everyone!

I am grateful for this supportive forum. I just wanted to let you know that I too have suffered for more than a year with the same buzzing symptoms and they can make you feel like you are going nuts!  I just want to agree with the comment on CLARITIN.  I took one at eight this morning because my buzz was soooo bad!  By eight thirty, I was feeling much better, this OTC drug should last twelve hours.  I have had not adverse side effects, however always check with your doctor first before taking it.  I think it blocks the nerve receptors and I actually am able to function at work today without having to take a half a day. This will take time, our nerves are overworked.  We constantly focus on these symptoms twenty four seven and its tooooo much!  We will get better, we must change the way we look at this stuff.  I know that the symptoms prevail, but we must understand that after going to the doctors and all is well we have to accept it and move forward.  We can do this together. Hit me up anytime at ***@****
I have been having buzzing in my feet going up my legs.  It is better when I am active. I have myself convinced I have MS!  I went to the Dr. and told her about it when it was isolated to my feet and told her it seemed to improve when I took xanax.  She said not to worry about MS and that her mother has it and she thinks I don't.  No tests were done.  I don't want tests and do not have any other symptoms but still think I have MS.  What should I do?
I got here hoping someone could tell me what the heck this buzzing is and I have only read other people have it. Is it like the phantom pain from a leg that has been amputated? Why does it come and go?
Just another thought on the buzzing and tingling stuff.  Has anyone been tested for Lyme Disease?  Turns out that's what I have and I've been suffering from those symptoms and many more!  Doing IV antibiotic treatment as I write this!  Good luck to all!
Hey all!

I'm an infrequent poster on MedHelp, much more posting in my earliest days as a member.

I've had lots of health problems starting in 2003 (autoimmune thyroiditis-hypothyroidism,vitamin deficiencies and peripheral neuropathy). The thing that has been underlying with these health problems is intense anxiety, that for a period of time I was controlling very well. As my vitamin levels went lower (D, E and B12 - the later being low-normal, the previous 2 being flagged low), my neurological symptoms of carpal tunnel and tarsal tunnel worsened. Once treated with vitamin replacement therapies, they didn't worsen but also didn't improve. I did gain slighlty more energy however.

I am convinced that the addition of muscle twitches and buzzing sensations in my legs/feet, was more due to my stress/anxiety responses to these issues, than to the medical conditions them selves. I say this for several reasons, one being that mine-too are calmed by taking an as-needed xanax or by doing some exercise. While I believe my health problems do play a role in these weird symptoms, I'm convinced that when my anxiety levels spike, this is where the symptoms are coming from.

One other reason I say this is because as others have related in this thread, I too can awake mornings and feel no buzzing or muscle twitching but as the adrenaline rises from my expectations of what I'm facing for the day, these begin to occur. Common sense says that a purly neurological cause of them would not see them flare with anxiety but they would be independent of it and would occur apart from it.

I've enjoyed reading the previous comments and seeing others I relate-to with these symptoms.
I initially looked up this symptom because I get this very uncomfortable tingling feeling in my feet when I take in marijuana in some form. I used to smoke pretty regularly and it was a mere relaxer and very rarely produced paranoia or the like. Now even the slightest amount sends my feet into a frenzy that I can agree must have something to do with anxiety. The shift is sort of unimportant but I assume it has something to do with my anxiety from my experimentation with hallucinogenics. Anyway, good to know.
its a vaporizer
I had the buzzing in my left arm and left leg, left side of the neck, and later down the spinal cord. Initially, in 2007, I was told by my primary physician and PT that my symptoms were stress and anxiety related and told to have body work, take a light muscle relaxer, to do relaxation breathing exercises, and take supplements (calcium and Vit B-12). In 2010, after the buzzing went to the right side and my feet buzzed to the point I had difficulty walking, sitting and standing. In May 2010, I went to the ER because I wasn't able to walk, stand or drive. After an MRI, I was told I had moderate cervical stenosis and myofacial (sp?) syndrome. I am currently involved in conservative treatment, which is  PT (often 2x a week), and on a regimen consisting of exercises and of course, taking muscle relaxers and pain medication. If I had known this in 2007, I'd be much better off today. The buzzing went away for a month or two and has returned, and it's agonizing. I haven't been able to resume daily activities for over 9 months. Now, because I'm not improving, I have to consider surgery, which is difficult, since I'm a caregiver for a very sick spouse, and I've heard the recovery for stenosis surgery is a serious, difficult process.  I urge all of you to have MRIs to rule out stenosis, which can become a serious disability, preventing you from working and keeping you from doing your daily activities.  I'm not kidding, buzzing is a serious symptom and shouldn't be ignored for too long.
I have buzzing in my left foot and lack of feeling due to a chiropractor damaging the sciatic nerve during treatment for sciatica. Ive had a epidural which has helped my leg as this too was buzzing and lack of feeling,but now it is just my foot.Ive asked to see a neurologist but my dr says it wont make much difference,so she says im stuck with it,but i dont believe this! Im interested that one person on here took vit B12 and it helped,has anyone else tried this or any other help i can get i,ll be most interested.After all it does control your life this problem as ive no balance due to this complaint,i have to use a walker which i hate!
I have vibrational  sensations that come and go usually in lower legs . I  believe that this could be resulting from vitamin deficiencies. I am in the healthcare field and am aware of the effects of high stress on the body and it can really be a killer. The higher stress the more the body burns up vitamin/nutrient stores as mentioned by others. However, I also believe that are bodies can act as a medium (like a tape recorder)for outside energy forces, as we are an electrically complex structure that sends out energy manifestations and we can also act as a receiver. I began to think that these vibrations were manifestations of spirits flowing into my energy field. This may sound crazy but I believe it to be valid. I feel that I need to block and guard myself against negative energies, so I have been researching yoga, meditation and  pretty much anything that could potentially work. I have also read that clear crystal, amethyst and black tourmaline rock emit energy to block negative energy.  
Hi Everyone,

I too experienced a buzzing sensation in my left foot.  It started off as short random sensations and after a month became constant.  It didn't hurt, it was just really annoying.  After seeing a few doctors and having multiple tests done with no findings I started my own research.

I was diagnosed with Celiac in August of 2010 after being very sick (gastro problems) for many years.  As soon as I was diagnosed I went on a gluten free diet immediately.  About 6 months later I started having a lot of problems with muscle coordination, twitching, pins and needles, etc.  Like I mentioned above, I saw doctor after doctor and was given a clean bill of health because my tests were all normal.  That wasn't good enough for me because I knew something was not right.  

I began reading studies doen in England on patients with Celiac and the nurological effects it can have on your body.  I learned that it is not unusal for Celiacs to experience twitching/numbness/pins & needles feelings in the muscles (yes, I thought I had MS too like most of you on this forum).  However, I had been gluten free for over 6 months and the sypmtoms were now just starting to come about.  The more research I did the more I learned that I wasn't 100% gluten free.  My shampoo and conditioner were not gluten free and I used the same toaster and butter containers as my husband.  Just because my diet was gluten free didn't mean I was living a gluten free life.  So, I started over.  Cleaned up all hidden sources of gluten and thought that would do the trick....wrong!  I was still having nuro issues.  So, I continued to read!  I read an article that stated just becuase you're gluten free doesn't mean your body's absorbing nutrients due to the damage to your small intestine.  So I started my own trial and error test with vitamins.

I started to test different vitamins and how my body reacted to them.  I eventually found the combination of vitamins that worked for me to stop the buzzing!!!!!  Since I have started taking B-12, Vitamin E, Iron, Magnesium and Niacin most if not all (day by day) of my symptoms have gone away.  However some brands made the buzzing worse.  I cannot tolerate Nature Valley's B-Complex vitamin.  As soon as I take it within 15 mintues the buzzing comes on strong.  It may be an additive or dye that they use that is causing my syptoms (symptoms).  I do use Nature Valley's Magnesium and Niacin so it's not all Nature Valley's products that can contribute to the buzzing.  However, what works for me may not work for you.

I do want to strees that I'm not a doctor and do not recommend trying what I did until you consult your doctor.  However, I encourage you to be tested for Celiac (blood screen and/or scope) because that could be the underlying reason for your problems.

I personally know how frusterating it can be when you know something is wrong with your body but doctors don't believe you.  It can't hurt to get tested for Celiac and start taking daily vitamins.  Most vitamins are water soluable so whatever you're body doesn't need you'll eliminate.

Good luck everyone!
I have just started having slight buzzing in my left upper half of my leg,,,just like you said I was reaching for my cell phone...   only my left, not sure what causes it, but maybe b12  shortage
All of your remedies are great for stress and anxiety.  These feelings of vibrations and bubbling are harmless.  Anxiety attacks the body in many different ways.  Stay focused on meditation and relaxation and you will feel much better.  Good luck!  
This really helps reading this.  I started having the "buzzing" sensation in my right calf.  It's on and off, 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off.  It's not constant, because when I wake up in the morning, it's not there, but as soon as I start my day, it comes back.  Sometimes I notice it all day, other times when I'm busy I don't notice it.

I started going to a chiropractor who believes it's a pinched nerve, Sciatica.  He says that it does branch off to the front of the leg too.  I'll give this a try for awhile and hope that it goes away.

My anxiety has been much better lately, but just because the mind is calm, doesn't mean the body is.  So I understand that anxiety could be a major part of this.

I've hesitated on taking any meds just because I'm so sensitive to them.  I too worry about MS and other things, but ti's reassuring to read that so many people have this on a daily basis for months with nothing wrong.  Thank you everyone for your posts!  It does help sharing and discussing!
I have had my heels crushed in an accident three years ago, I will have massive buzzing in my feet when my painkillers wear off or when it rains or heavy moisture in the air or both. It has almost put me over the edge many times including this morning. I feel for you. When I wake up from it I chew painkillers and put them under my tongue , in  30 minutes I end up going back to sleep . I am going to try vitamins and anti anxiety meds now . Thanks for your post and good luck !!
Thank you - you're the only one that is making any sense :)
Have had a buzzing tingling and shuddering in my feet then my legs for the last 5 months im 66.It started with vibrations in my feet when I was lying in bed, if I lay still they went away, then I started to have them in the daytime like a buzz then a pause then a buzz, pause also  started to get them in my legs, it gets so bad feels like an earthquake under my feet. As I also had cramps in my feet I think it may be a circulation problem in my case.  Im in the Uk the doctor said it was nothing serious even though she didn't know what it was Ive now got vibration buzzing  in my back seem to get worse when im active and a pounding in my ear I still think it may be a circulation problem anyone else
yes i have-i'm just 40 but had anxiety state for years-it feels from your feet thru the back of leg up thru spine to the neck and up to the head like been "plugged into the mains electric"- its adrenaline thats coursing thru all your nerves-its like a buzzing feeling -i always say to my doc its like standing in a train station with the electric overhead wires on a wet day and you hear that buzzy,current dispersing into the air off the conducting apparatus,its like that buzzing thru your body starting feet upwards. i thought i was alone desscribing it-and i sympathise you got the same condition it seems
lulu747 commented on Feeling real and tryi...
1 hr ago
ziptup added the Anxiety/Panic Tracker
1 hr ago
vicki595 commented on Feeling real and tryi...