Anxiety Community
Can 150 mg of Zoloft be too much? I am getting scared.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I was recently upped to 150mg of zoloft.  I had my first every anxiety attack ever and then became very depressed. My doctor put me on 30mg of lexapro for six weeks and I seemed to be getting worse.  He had me switch to 100mg of zoloft for a week and then increase to 150mg.  Since I've been at 150mg, I have felt very tired and more anxious at the same time.  It has been causing me to take xanax again after almost stopping.  I was down to less than 0.5mg per day.  Now I'm back to 1.0 to 1.5mg per day for the anxiety.  Obviously, I don't like taking xanax because of the addiction potential.  This mess is beginning to scare me. I'm afraid I'm never going to get better. Can you help?
Hi there-

I'm in the boat with you about xanax, but it can help get you through the first month of new medication.  Who is prescribing your medication, family med doctor or psychiatrist??  I do know there are a lot medications to try, and a psychiatrist specializes in these drugs.  So maybe try that route.  Don't be afraid to try something new, just remember it may take a month for thay medication to make you feel better, and that's where the helper xanax comes in.  Good Luck!  Feel free to drop me a line.
Thanks Rita,

I went to see a psychiatrist.  He asked me a few questions and said "take these perscriptions".  He didn't spend much time and seem to concernced.  I guess he sees lots of people who think they are dying from anxiety, so it was old hat to him.  Sure is a horrible and scary feeling when you've never gone through it before.  Not something I would wish on my worst enemy.  Thanks again.
Just remember we all react to medications in different ways, but in my experience with Zoloft, I was a little more on edge when I first started taking it for about a month or so.  Whenever you start, stop, or adjust dosage, there seems to be an adjustment period in my opinion, but I have had a good experience with it after being EXTREMELY against it.  I believe medications like Zoloft are very effective when combined with talk therapy and it is usally prescribed from 50-200 mg, so you are by know means taking too much in my opinion...keep us posted!
Thanks cj.  I talked to my psychiatrist this morning.  He gave me a different story than the on call psychiatrist that changed my medication.  He said basically what you said, that every change can make a difference and react differently for everyone.  I just want it to end.  I guess I'll just have to be patient.  Thanks again.
Not a problem; just remember that these can affect us all in different ways, because we are different (which is great because then we'd be robots and I guess that is for a different forum:)).  For me, patience was key when I started Zoloft, but if the side effects are really bothersome and they don't go away, just keep working with your doctor.  
Kermit the Hermit One good thing about music,... Comment
5 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on OctoberMommy2014's status
53 mins ago
MusiciansWish1990 Had a nice long bike ride a... Comment
1 hr ago