Anxiety Community
Can Anxiety Cause A Near Blackout Experience--for a split second

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I am an agoraphobic/anxiety guy with panic disorder.  A few times a year, often at night, while sitting and relaxing, watching TV or on the PC I will just, out of the blue get this split second almost blackout like feeling...kinda like someone pulled the plug on me then plugged it back in.  I never have lost consciousness but it feels like I'm very close to losing it.  I have no idea if that's related to my anxiety or not as it seems to happen when my heart is chilled out.  Last night it happened when i was feeling nervous/sad about something but that could be a total coincidence.

Has anyone experienced this?  I know a lot of people having panic attacks feel like they are about to black out but I wasn't having a panic attack.  My heart rate was like 65 bpm and at the time I wasn't flippin out.  

Anyway it's scary and I already have enough phobias.  

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.  I'd appreciate any help or info any of you have.

~James
James, glad you posted this and hope to help ease your mind. I suffer from severe anxiety and have had an ongoing amount of the same ones as well as getting the awesome gift of continually receiving new symptoms even ones that I haven't heard of with all of my research. This has happened to me on several occasions so you are not alone. It is very scary. When it happens to me I have either been riding (passenger for others on the road's sake and my own sake) in the car and it happened during the day around 2-3 or 4 pm-ish. I got REALLY weak feeling and felt like I was falling and about to completely lose my consciousness then I yelled out holy sh*t!! Scaring my mom to death by kicking and hitting the arm rest with my hand in panic. It was just a little tiny bit unpleasant to say the least. :P Just as you stated as if someone pulled the plug and plugged you back in right away.( I like this description of yours LOL sounds all Matrix style). Plus the thought of this just being an illusion and passing away merely just us being unplugged to go into the actual reality makes it not seem as scary when that time to die does come.:)  Ok, back on topic. The other times it has happened have been just like yours and were when I was winding down on the computer. I was actually on Medhelp and replying to a friend's message then BAM I got really weak and my head fell limp as I felt I was blacking out then I pulled through and was like what the h*ll?!? You are so right. It is VERY scary. I even thought I was dying when it happened but never did actually lose consciousness. So hang in there man, it appears to be anxiety for the both of us ;hope this helped ease your mind and whatnot.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience(s) too.  Are yous like extremely brief in nature (like a split second) and do they come out of nowhere?  

Also have you talked to your Dr. about it and does he/she believe it's anxiety related?  

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.  I also want to wish you continued luck in your fight against anxiety.  Are you taking anything for it?  I'm going to start taking Zoloft or Klonopin or both.  

Have a nice weekend,
James
Hey no problem, I like to try and help with the posts I have experienced and am able to explain...because it makes me remember how awful it was when I started going through all of this and how awful it feels to be in the dark looking for answers and don't want others to go through that as well. It seems there is nothing worse then not having any answers!

-Are yous like extremely brief in nature (like a split second) and do they come out of nowhere?
                                   That would be a big YES!!! I was feeling completely fine as if I had enough energy to get through the day and then qwa blam I'm blacking out or dying!!!!! Only to snap out of it in a matter of 2 seconds. I had it actually happen 2 times following eachother in a matter of a half hour one time too as well as somehow feeling this while I was sleeping oddly. That one is VERY strange and scary because you are all like ok I'm sleeping, i'm sleeping then BAM I'm going even further then sleeping?! Then you'll possibly think I'm dying!!! Then you jump awake.No fun.

-Also have you talked to your Dr. about it and does he/she believe it's anxiety related?  

I honestly don't remember but probably did. It seems i've gone in with a written phone book of symptoms of the like and the Dr. has always been thinking it's just anxiety. I just hope he is right because I am worried he is starting to either blow me off and write everything off as anxiety and that if there IS something going on that he won't address it or help it. It seems if you have anxiety maybe it's best to not even mention it to your Dr. or he might write everything off as anxiety when in fact it may be something requiring care.
                       You are very welcome. Thank you very much. Unfortunately no; I am completely untreated other then therapy and I feel like sh*t. It seems the therapy is pointless unless you are also on meds. The reason I am off is because I ditched my noob Dr. who was making me worse. He was putting me on things that actually made the anxiety way worse (Risperdal) or not helping at all (Buspar). Then the latest one he prescribed me was "Haldol" which had reports of unsuspected deaths and heart failure to the users!!! I was like nope...this guy is an idiot. He is going to either get me killed or locked up in an institution for life. So please read up on the side effects of the meds before you take them because it seems some Dr.s don't even know what the side effects are and just write out the prescriptions as if you are a guinea pig(or it can feel that way at least) Zoloft can be a good drug actually. I had been on it. It helped me for a good while but eventually stopped working years later due to a tolerance I think. Yes!!! Klonopin. I want to get on that too actually. I heard it really helps but Dr.s have been too scared to put me on it even though it WILL help because it is habit forming which is frustrating. I don't know about you but I honestly couldn't care less if it was addicting if it really does work. Hey thanks. Have a nice weekend too!
-Justin
Hey Justin.  You're a cool dude and again I really appreciate you writing back and sharing your story.  I started taking Klonopin and so far I can say that I like it a lot.  I was prescribed 0.5mg pills, for 2x/day.  I cut it in half, so I'm only taking a mere 0.25mg once a day.  It takes just enough edge off and makes me function better w/no side effects...I'm not groggy, I don't lose my sex drive (God forbid, lol), no headaches, no upset stomach...nothing.  I'm sure I will need to gradually up my doses and yes I've read it can be habit forming.  That alone use to scare me.  It still kinda does but to be honest, I'd rather be on something that is habit forming but give me a better life, than to be free of meds but worrying all the time.  I'm sure you can relate to that.  Anxiety BLOWS!  

Anyway keep fighting the fight man!  Sounds like you're doing ok! :)

~James
Hello James,

I was wondering whether you have experienced any more of these "near blackouts" since posting?

I ask because I have suffered with anxiety/panic attacks for years.  Recently I have been going through a period of feeling stressed and have been suffering the usual panic attacks.  Only this time I have had 2 instances where it felt like a near blackout.  Sitting in a chair both times and moving me head (quickly) is the common factor in my case.  At the time not particularly anxious but afterwards full blown panic attack and continued anxiety for ages.  I don't lose vision and don't lose any consciousness - I do believe you are describing what I've experienced and so perhaps it is anxiety related.

Thanks for your post - I didn't think I would find anyone else who had the same problem - it doesn't help that it's not particularly easy to describe.

Take care

Chris
Hey guys/gals, just wanted to add my experience which is identical to what you guys describe.  For me it started a few months ago, was working on the computer and all of a sudden I get this weird head rush like im going to pass out but I don't.  Went to er, doc said no neurologic problem.  I follow up with my family gp and did a physical, blood work, ecg all normal.  I have suffered from anxiety all my life, little ocd, depression etc.  Now every so often I get these split second "panic attacks", like a warm rush to my head that makes me dizzy for a moment and its like I have to refocus or I will fall.  it is so strange, I didn't think anxiety could do this, but everyone says that's exactly what anxiety/stress do!! I asked my dr to send me to a specialist (neourologist) for mri, ct scan, ultrasound etc but he refuses, saying there is no need.  I live in Canada where we cant pay for tests out of our own pockets so if your family gp doesn't think you need them then they will not send you.  kinda ***** cause sometimes having the tests puts your mind at ease a bit which lessens the anxiety.  Anyway, love these posts as it shows we are not alone!
I've had similar experiences though it coincided with my entire right side going numb, from my face, throat, shoulder, arm, even the right side of my torso to my toes. It feels like my head is about to roll off my shoulders. I have not felt like I was on the verge of passing out since I had 3 stents placed into my lower left artery that feeds my heart.
Im with you i have suffered these crippling attacks as well, the numbness the blacking out, and even falling ..and every health professional comes up with the same response, anxiety ...i have questioned this a tonne of times and it all leads apparently to this anxiety condition
my thoughts are with you all and i wish you can find some peace ..but it is a constant battle and doesnt seem to make any sense  
i mean how can you tell whether you are having a stroke, or is it anxiety .i think we have a right to be worried, just in case, i call the paramedics every time i have a symptom like numbness just to be sure its not my anxiety but 9 times out of 10 thats what theyll say its anxiety hmm

Paul
Hi guys I just wanted to say I recently started to have this problem and reading this has helped me so much, iv never been diagnosed with anxiety but I seem to be having the same problems but the only difference is a slight confusion afterwards and very brief memory loss I just wanted to know if anyone else had this or knew about it

Thank you all for the help

Rhy
Yes have felt that.  Usually when I'm really relaxed. I think it's from holding my breath.  Next time check in and see if you were holding your breath.
mele48 That burden you're carrying... Comment
1 hr ago
specialmom, and melimeli commented on melimeli's status
melimeli So I've lost 28 lbs :) Comment