Anxiety Community
Can STRESS affect an EKG readout?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Can STRESS affect an EKG readout?

I recently had my first EKG.  It came out abnormal and there is no EKG from my past to compare it to.  I'm 55 F and I do have risk factors for heart disease and it's probably best that I get checked further but of course I'm hoping that there is no real physical problem.  Could the amount of stress that I have been under for the past year and still going strong be affecting the EKG readout?

Thank you!
i know stress efected mine , when your under stress your heart beats different and  fast/palps etc try relax . what did the dr say was he concerned about it or what , get another one done when you have calmed down. right now if i had one done it would be off the page am really anxity right now . take care
I always wonder that to if strees can affect ekg.
I never knew that stress can cause abnormal ekgs. Well I guess when I go get a ekg done I will relax.
I was having chest tightness...(I am a 27 yr old female)..So when I went to doctor they did an EKG and it came back abnormal. They told me to go to the ER. I was so freaked out and scared. They did multiple EKG tests back in the ER and did a chest x ray. They say if you drink caffeine that could also affect the EKG. I think that anxiety caused mine to be abnormal.....and stress...... I think its very well possible. Relaxing ..is the best =)
I had a heart rate of 190 bpm and a blood pressure reading of 185/121. My heart was skiping and fluttering so bad that I passed out when the ambulace arrived. My EKG was abnormal and off the charts at the hospital as well after I woke up. Because I have a history of panic attacks, they gave me a xanax, and everything went back to normal. So relax and try not to  worry so much and things will look up. :)
Thanks, my EKG was abnormal and the doctor at the health fair said I needed a stress test asap. I was very scared, but I have had EKG readings abnormal before, but the doctor at the health fair claimed it's something different.
I am a 36 year old female. I had gone for a routine medical examination. All the tests were normal- blood sugar, blood colestrol, urine analysis, blood hemogram etc. The blood pressure was 120/80. The doctor on the ECG report recommended for trade mill test. I had anxiety when the ECG was happening. Is it something to worry about?
I don't think it effects it. I've gone to the hospital in full blown panic attacks from stress and all my have come back normal.
I would suggest asking your doctor just to be sure.
I know that I wound up in the ER for a severe anxiety attack and they did 3 EKGs that were abnormal. I had one done a week later while i was calm and it was perfectly normal.
Frenchies commented on Long standing dry mou...
fuschiabelle commented on photo
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms