Anxiety Community
Can STRESS affect an EKG readout?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Can STRESS affect an EKG readout?

I recently had my first EKG.  It came out abnormal and there is no EKG from my past to compare it to.  I'm 55 F and I do have risk factors for heart disease and it's probably best that I get checked further but of course I'm hoping that there is no real physical problem.  Could the amount of stress that I have been under for the past year and still going strong be affecting the EKG readout?

Thank you!
i know stress efected mine , when your under stress your heart beats different and  fast/palps etc try relax . what did the dr say was he concerned about it or what , get another one done when you have calmed down. right now if i had one done it would be off the page am really anxity right now . take care
I always wonder that to if strees can affect ekg.
I never knew that stress can cause abnormal ekgs. Well I guess when I go get a ekg done I will relax.
I was having chest tightness...(I am a 27 yr old female)..So when I went to doctor they did an EKG and it came back abnormal. They told me to go to the ER. I was so freaked out and scared. They did multiple EKG tests back in the ER and did a chest x ray. They say if you drink caffeine that could also affect the EKG. I think that anxiety caused mine to be abnormal.....and stress...... I think its very well possible. Relaxing ..is the best =)
I had a heart rate of 190 bpm and a blood pressure reading of 185/121. My heart was skiping and fluttering so bad that I passed out when the ambulace arrived. My EKG was abnormal and off the charts at the hospital as well after I woke up. Because I have a history of panic attacks, they gave me a xanax, and everything went back to normal. So relax and try not to  worry so much and things will look up. :)
Thanks, my EKG was abnormal and the doctor at the health fair said I needed a stress test asap. I was very scared, but I have had EKG readings abnormal before, but the doctor at the health fair claimed it's something different.
I am a 36 year old female. I had gone for a routine medical examination. All the tests were normal- blood sugar, blood colestrol, urine analysis, blood hemogram etc. The blood pressure was 120/80. The doctor on the ECG report recommended for trade mill test. I had anxiety when the ECG was happening. Is it something to worry about?
I don't think it effects it. I've gone to the hospital in full blown panic attacks from stress and all my have come back normal.
I would suggest asking your doctor just to be sure.
I know that I wound up in the ER for a severe anxiety attack and they did 3 EKGs that were abnormal. I had one done a week later while i was calm and it was perfectly normal.
rogelio63 is feeling so normal that h... Comment
23 mins ago
gymdandee commented on How much arsenic is i...
1 hr ago
jgrubb75 commented on 5 year old son diagno...
1 hr ago