Anxiety Community
Can a person take Lexapro for years?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Can a person take Lexapro for years?

Just wondering if people can continue to take Lexapro for a long period of time? Or....is it just until you start feeling "normal". My Dr. suggests trying to find something like exercise to deal with stress.
What would happen if you took any anti depressant for a long time. I wonder if it wouldnt work as good?
My mom took zoloft for 10 years then was switched to lexapro for another 5. She recently went off because she just wanted to try and deal with things on her own. She is doing pretty good. I am unable to take ssri's so I do exercise and eat right. Take vitamin and just try and keep control of the anxiety. I am doing pretty good. I have good and bad days. Seems like I have been getting more good then bad in the last couple of months.
I think sometimes after taking a AD for so long it can stop being as effective, I think that Is why my mom had switched to lexapro. Hope this helps.
ashler1977 commented on Salivary gland disord...
1 hr ago
Cincy513 commented on Salivary gland disord...
Mollyrae commented on photo