Anxiety Community
Can anxiety cause hand tremors?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Can anxiety cause hand tremors?

I am a 25 year old female.  This past six weeks I have noticed that I have developed hand tremors.

I have been through an extremely stressful period since summer, but those situations have calmed down now, and my tremors have come on since the stress eased off.

I am reasonably healthy and cannot see a reason for this to start happening.  Is it possible that the stress and anxiety that I have been through could have manifested itself in my hands (and what feels like my arms)and make them shake?  I feel like I am picking things up and moving them about as if I was extremely nervous.  I also feel like I can feel the blood pumping through my upper body as my heart beats and I am constantly tired.  I haven't had to stop doing anything.  I have full feeling and can type/write etc perfectly fine.

I am driving myself crazy noticing every little abnormal movement and twitch.  I saw a doctor and she said it was like my mind was that tired/fatigued that my body has decided to do something about it.  Could this be true?  And will my symptoms ever go away?  At the moment it seems like I will be living with them forever.  I just want to be normal again and stop shaking.  Please help.  Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Sorry, also thought I should mention that my arms get really tired when I am lifting things, even a cup of tea.  I feel like I need to put whatever it is I'm holding down after 30 seconds.  Thanks.
Thank you for replying.  

I don't do any drugs, and haven't had a loss of appetite.  I have been through quite a stressful period since June.  I just want to know if it is possible for anxiety and stress to manifest itself phsically in this way?

I am seeing a chiropractor too at the moment who seems to think that I have deep muscle fatigue which (she believes) is also contributing to the shaking from my neck and shoulders right through to my arms and hands.

I am also in the process of buying my first house, so I have a feeling that may also be contributing hugely.  I am for the time being cutting right back on caffine too!

It's good to know that other people have been through such times and can share any advice.  Thanks for listening :-)
Hi, the list of how anxiety can manifest physically is huge. There are lists online that mention shakiness and tremors as possibilities of manifestations. I myself have dealt with many symptoms and am still trying to rule out physical causes. The tendency you'll notice by reading this message board, is to automatically feel there must be a physical root cause to physical symptoms. I spoke to a psychiatrist friend recently who told me he has "seen it all" when it comes to anxiety symptoms. Good luck and GOD bless you and I hope you get better and are able to enjoy life. I mean that sincerely.
I have had this shaky, vibrating(visually), fluttering thing that is happening in my chest.  All but one of the times it has happened, my right hand has twitched too.  I haven't seen the neuro yet but surely I'll be there soon.  

Anxiety(if that is what this all is!!!) is the PITS!!!

Good luck to you.
Thank you all for your kind words.

I think we all react to anxiety at some time, it's just a bummer when it affects our lives.

I wish you all good luck and a happy healthy life :-)
Yes - absolutely. I was at my worst about a year ago thinking I had the worst disease ever. I remember holding my hands out and watching them shake. I would continually show this to my wife - I almost made her crazy! I vividly remember one day I was doing yard work with a weed whacker and holding it in my right hand for a long time. When I finished I got a drink of water. My hand was shaking so bad that the water was spiling out of the cup. To make a long story short I have overcome my anxiety and no longer shake or twitch (had those too). The key is to ignore these signals and they will slowly subside. Easier said than done but you will find your way!
That is so true.  After speaking to quite a few people, and stopping diagnosing myself on the internet, my symptoms seem to be SLOWLY subsiding.  Hopefully I will feel NORMAL again soon.  Good luck to you x
How did you overcome your anxiety?  suggestions please!
I think it is really difficult to accept that anxiety is all you have.  

I have tried doing small things, like when I'm feeling stressed out, I close my eyes and count to ten slowly to try and clear my head and slow my breathing down. These seem to be starting to work for me.  I am trying to think positive and believe that I can overcome this, and since I have been thinking positive, my symptoms have calmed down.  I have also tried to cut out as much caffine as I can, so little tea/coffee/fizzy drinks and chocolate (bummer).

I do think it takes time, but I do believe you will be able to work through it.  It seems like you are the only person going through it at the time, and by telling friends and family, they can help keep your mood up and support you.  I really think it's hard do it on your own.  Try to find a good friend to lean on.

Good luck to you, and Merry Christmas :-)
Put me down on the list of people who have hand tremors due to anxiety.  I'm a teacher, and I remember one of my students even commenting on my shaky hands.  :-/

SWJ
i also went through some serious trauma over the summer.  after the events i started to have panic attacks.  i have learned to control these to a certain point because i understand them now.  i have developed anxiety since these attacks and worry about my health constantly.  my hands have started shaking just like littleomellete mentioned and i notice my heartbeat and the blood pumping through my upper body.  i worry that i have a terrible disease due to the shaking.  i never shake when i m laying down or sleeping though.  i thought i was the only one going through this.  did anyone here see a psychologist/therapist for these problems or take any medications.  i m a 23 year old male who just finished playing four years of college lacrosse and would like to steer clear of taking anything.  my physical health is perfect and i m in great shape.  please post back..

matt
I am going through the same thing, I have panic and anxiety disorder, and just the past 2 months I have noticed the shaky hands, I went to the dr, and she ran all kinds of blood tests, and to the chiropractor, and now they are going to send me to a neurologist, meanwhile my doctor still thinks it is my anxiety acting up. I was good for a long time, no all of a sudden my hands are shaky. She put me on clonezpam when I get really shaky and this seems to work, but I want to be able to learn how to deal with it, not constantly be drugged up. Any suggestions or websites would be helpful.
I have been noticing that my hands shake too. This has caused me to over react. I keep thinking its hypoglycemia (even though I had test done in april and may for it and my sugar was fine... And Im eating better than I EVER have!) But isnt that how this works? You latch onto that one fear and it keeps building on it. Anyways, I keep telling myself that its just the anxiety and that helps! I know its just the body being on high alert for so long that its getting tired.
i'm a nursing student.. my hands trembles whenever i am pressured and nervous .. how can i overcome this,, especially that we are going to have our clinical duty next month..i am worried...

your advices would be a great help..thanks..
I'm so glad that I found this site. As I was reading through the posts I could relate to almost all of them. I get shaky hands and find myself over analysing my self. I also get heart palpatations some chest pain and tingling in my hands and feet. ( I've had a blood test for a heart attack and I can definitely rule that out :P )
And yes, just a small distracting thought sometimes snowballs and starts to get you feeling all anxious again.

I'm also off the caffeine. I've had it for about a month now and am learning to live with it but am hopeful that it will go away some time soon.

And yes, the more you speak about it to friends and family the better you feel about it.

Hope this helps somebody feel a little better :)
I understand completely. I have been on numerous meds and they try to give my xanax too, but I wont take it because my family history of drug abuse. I get so overwhelmed sometimes and it seems like when I am in a calm state, all the tics and palpitations start. I will be holding a cup of coffee and suddenly my hand or arm will jerk or seem to just stop working and I end up wearing the coffee. Its a strange thing to feel like your not in control of your own body. I like to think its almost the equivalent of your muscles being drained after an intense workout. When you are all wound up, your muscles feel it to and when the calm comes on, they are just trying to calm too. Good Luck to you and you will be ok.
I've got bad hand shaking.  I wasn't quite sure whether it is from the anxiety or because I was taking paxil too.  I guess I seemed to have noticed it while on the paxil, but I think it may just be due to overall anxiety.  I can really relate to spilling a lot of coffee.
hey waylander here.i am go to type something out of a book that i have for ya! Sweating,Trembling hands

now look at yor hands. they sweat? maybe tremble?maybe the skin is sore and tingles and tingles with "pins and needles"? but the hands of any tense,frightened person may feel like that,and you are certainly frightened,so how could your hands behave otherwise?the sweating,trembling, "pin and needles"and soreness are no more than the physical expression of oversensitization of your adrenalin releasing nerves through anxiety and fear.these sensations get no worse than this and could never prevent you using your hands.maybe your hands do sweat and tremble, but they are still good hands to use.Therefore,accept the sweating,trembling,soreness and tingling for the time being..these cannot be cured overnight.with acceptance, although your hands may still tremble and sweat for a while,you will find some peace,enough to begin to still the outflow of adrenalin,so that your sweat glands will gradually calm down.in place of fear adrenalin sweat,you put acceptance,less adrenalin-less sweat; and finally you have peace-no excess adrenalin-no excess sweat.it is as simple as that although acceptance may not seem so simple at first........from SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES by Dr Claire Weekes..
I have the shaking hands/arms and sense of muscle fatigue expressed by littleomellette and a few others.  A few years ago, I was diagnosed with a familial tremor. This conclusion was partially drawn from the fact that my father had the same problem as well, although his developed much later in life (his in his 60s, mine in my 30s).  A neurologist said that It is not uncommon for it to begin earlier in age as it is passed on through the generations.  Fortunately,  a Familial Tremor (also check out Essential Tremors) tends to not have serious complications.  It is not a precursor of Parkinson's Disease, which was my greatest worry.   Whether a tremor is physical or psychological, anxiety, fatigue, tiredness, hunger, and stress can all exacerbate this condition, so it's easy to get caught up in a frustrating cycle of worry and shaking.  Stress reduction, getting enough sleep, and eating regularly seems to help.  I have also tried clonezapam, which helped but made me sleepy.

I guess I just wanted to point out that tremors can have a physical basis too.  You don't have to have a psychological issue if you experience these symptoms, but regardless of the cause, stress reduction seems key to helping ones condition.
I have also gone through a tremendous amount of stress within the past 7 months.  I have found that my body cannot relax.  My muscles are tense, my shoulders rise to my ear lobes, I fall asleep sitting up because my body is worn out and when I wake to go to bed, I cannot sleep.  My mind races.  I have had anxiety disorder in the past and got through it for 15 years and now it is back.  I am like all of you who fear the worst possible scenario.  The difference this time is not the hands shaking, but my head and then sometimes jerking motions that happen with my head.  I am so self conscience about this I don't want to be in public.  I hope someone out there can tell me they have also gone through the head shaking and they were told it was anxiety manifesting itself in this way.  I would SO APPRECIATE someone posting to this.
yes..anxiety can cause hand tremors. iv been on zoloft for 2 months and i still get hand tremors when im in a fearful situation.
I hope you read the post  from Stosh just before yours on this question.  An Essential tremor can effect hands, legs, voice, head, just about every part of the body.  It is more of an annoyance than anything, you will not die from it.  What I do want to add, is that mine became VERY pronounced when on Paxil and the neurologist immediately took me off it and on to something else.  He was definitely not a fan of SSRIs because of the tremor it can create even in people who are not predisposed to it.  Talk with your doctor about what you have experienced and then you can go from there as to what would be the best treatment.  There are beta blockers that are used for essential tremor and also are supposed to help with anxiety as an added bonus.  Unfortunately they don't work for me but they have been very successful for most people.  Next week, I'm trying clonazapam to address the anxiety and hopefully, the tremor will improve if for no other reason than I'm less anxious.  Good luck and I hope I've been of some help.    
I can relate to all that you said. I have had a bad problem with the tremors as well and my head jerks backwards sometimes.  It is very annoying and aggrivating. My neurologist told me that I had the first stage (onset) of parkinsons. That really got my attention. I have to take Primidone for it and it does help some, but  not enough. Just like today, I have had trouble just holding a cup of tea. The dexterity in my hands just gives  out. Typing this is killing me as well. Its llike the messages from my brain just doesnt reach my hands and arms. I do have alot of muscle weakness and innability to do normal things. My speach slurs for no reason and my walking gait changes. I  pull to the right and dont even realize it till im almost dizzy.Its very embarrassing and I sure wish that there was a cure or atleast an answer for the tremors. I have had reoccuring bouts of pneumonia and everytime I get sick like that ,, omg those tremmors get soo much worse. I was in the hospital last week and saw another neurologist, He said that he didnt think it was parkinsons (oh what a relief), but didnt know what was causing all the shaking and jerking.I am researching it and if i find an answer, I will post it on here.
Good talking to you all,
Donna
Look up Essential Tremor.  Primidone is often used for that.  See if your syptoms (symptoms) match the profile for essential tremor.
I have hand tremors too.  They were much more pronounced on paxil.  They are still present off the paxil, although not as bad.  I am still on xanex.  I don't know if they would go away if I were off the xanex.  I know that when I am on a sufficient dose of xanex they virtually disappear, but don't know if the tremor that exists off the xanex is caused by the anxiety rebound of the xanex or just the anxiety itself.
Thank you for your responses regarding my post.  I have been on paxil and xanax when I was first diagnosed with anxiety attacks and that form of therapy seemed to help considerably.  I too noticed the hand tremors with Paxil.  When I was taken off Paxil the hand tremors stopped.  In addition to the head shaking, which seems to be more pronounced the more I am aware of it, I have the sensation of falling while awake, similar to when you are just about to fall asleep and have the sensation of falling and your body jerks.  I have had this happen twice.  Each time I will be doing something, feeling somewhat relaxed, and it will hit me out of the blue.  The flight response kicks in and is quickly followed by panic and anxiety.

Does anyone know the effects of lower hormone levels of those with anxiety attacks?  Do lower hormone levels increase anxiety symptoms?
I have hand tremors too.  It's really bad.  I often have to use tricks to pick up a beverage.  I brace my elbow against my body, pick up the glass palm down, etc.  I also drink lots of alcohol to help me relax - not good, since a parent is an alocholic.  My problems started long before I took any drugs.  I take Paxil and Inderal.  Xanax helps a little, but puts me to sleep and I don't like its addictive qualities (yes, I know alcohol is addictive, but it feels so much more effective).

I am miserable with this problem.  Why can't there be a real anti-anxiety drug and not just an addictive sedative like Xanax?  :-(

Best wishes to all.  Keep posting.
My neurologist really doesn't like Paxil because of the tremor side effect.  He said to me, "I don't know why these GPs keep prescribing it when it creates tremors.  There are so many other drugs that work just as well that don't create this side effect."  I know everyone is different but this is a VERY common problem with Paxil.  I had a tremor before starting it too, but on Paxil, well it was ridiculous.  I still have a tremor and I've been off Paxil for many years but it it nothing compared to what I had on it.  About alcohol, one drink can help settle a tremor and that is why some people with essential tremor tend to drink too much because they think that if one drink helps then more will help even better....WRONG!  All that leads to is more problems and it definitely won't help the tremor.    
Because of the tremors or shaking, I know what you mean about incorporating tricks to limit them.  I also have parents that are alcoholics.  

Talk to your doctor.  Before you go in to see him or her, write down everything you want to talk about.  Don't just go down the list, talk about the items you have on the list.  Give your doctor a good foundation on what you are going through so he can best help you.  It may take a few visits and different medications to find something that will work, but don't give up.  If you feel like your doctor is not listening and does not seem interested in sincerely helping you, find another doctor.  Once you start your medication, keep your thoughts positive about getting better.  Follow the directions for your medication to the letter.

You are right, this is miserable, but it is possible to fix it.  Don't give up.
I am a 25yr old male and have had major hand and body tremors for around 6 days. In that time I have been to A&E 3 times and two different G.Ps (because I was on holiday!)

I believe that I am slightly agoraphobic (sp?!) and suffer from OCD.

It all started last Sunday when I dropped the mother-in-law off at the supermarket and then had to drive off and turn around. As I was in a town that I did not know I ended up getting lost and nearly drove the wrong way down a one way street. Becuase of this I "lost control" - I gripped the steering wheel and nearly crushed it; pushed my feet into the floor of the car and burst into tears! For the rest of the day I was in the back of the car and just constantly playing with my hands - they simply would not stop moving.

The next day when I was in a popular town in the Lake District my neck spasms (along with the hand tremors) started and lasted for around 5-7 hours until I went to the local A&E and I was given 5mg of diazepam (sp) which seemed to calm my neck down but not stop my hand and face tremors. Because the neck spasms stopped I thought I would then be fine and a nice night sleep would do the trick.

WRONG!

Since then I have been suffering from all kind of involuntary body tremors ranging from my mouth and neck making weird faces; my neck arching back in some form of spasm and my hands and legs just not stopping.

The only drug that seemed to have done any help whatsoever is Lorazepam. When I was in A&E yesterday (after seeing my new GP who was great) I was rushed in straight to a cubicle as the receptionist thought I was having an epileptic seizure! Lorazepam was injected (into my backside) and about 15-20 minutes later I had stopped completely. The tremors did come back but very mildly approx 2 hours afterwards.

I woke up again today and hey presto when I leave the house and am being driven to my dads they all start again so by the time I get to my dads I am all over the place! I have just been down to the out of hours doctor at the local A&E and he has now given me Lorazepam in tablet form which have worked although making me very drowsy and most probably in need of another tablet when allowed in 31 minutes!

The thing that gets me is that every doctor so far has said, "it is anxiety; you are having some kind of over reaction to an anxious situation" HOW CAN THAT HELP IF I DON'T FEEL ANXIOUS AT ALL???!!!!

Well watch this space as I am seeing my GP on Tuesday who is going to talk to me about seeing a psychiatrist about the agoraphobia/OCD problems.

Thanks for listening and sorry about the essay!
wow! I have thought of searching "shaky hands" on the internet for a long time. Finally did and came upon your post. It stands out to me because I could have written it myself. I have tried anti-anxiety meds and the stronger things like xanex (which works like a charm, but fear I could become very addicted). Instead, I just have a couple drinks before going into any social situation that may require me to lift or grab a drink from a table or someone. Interesting is that my older brother suffers from the same thing, but we fail to talk about it openly (however obvious). I would love to finally "shake" this...pun intended!

also, to others...I have tried the therapy route....cognitive behavioral therapy and the like....it works kinda...for a little while....but this "issue: is dynamic and resilient....
For me, the shaking/trembling/weakness of the hands is the very first symptom of an anxiety attack coming on. It doesn't matter if I've eaten or not, or if I'm 'feeling stressed' or if I am 'going through something'. I could be watching TV. They come out of nowhere. I have become agoraphobic and have been for five years, now.

Like I said, this is MY experience. For everyone it it different.

This site might help:  http://www.embarassingproblems.co.uk/shakyhands.htm

I take my 'chill pills' (Ativan) and can settle down quickly if I catch it early. If the shaking starts and I can't catch it early, I go into a full-bore panic attack. I have become agoraphobic for five years now...a gradual to extreme thing.

With that said, do not go by me! I'm a mess! LOL

There is a host of topics on this site, so maybe look into that, too.
Kind regards. I wish you well.

going on from my above essay and visiting a&e twice more i can safely day that for me and my advice if any of you are offered haliperidol (in my case it was seranace) avoid them like the plague. The best thing i have found is diazepam..... even though they are supposed to be a drowsy drug i have found that they have made me ever so slightly "hyper"!

Haliperidol gave me chronic back and leg ache and a doctor i saw down a&e was very dismissive of them and told me to stop taking them - this after my tongue swelled up and got rushed down to hospital by a very concerned girlfriend.

Feel much better now but seem to think that my problems are more agoraphobic based coupled with anxiety so hopefully with a visit to a psychologist soon i'll be better!

All the best

Nick
Like the others, I was so happy to find this site.  I get the "shakes" when I am anxious and also sometimes when I am not.  It is like, if I start to think about it or worry about shaking, then I do.  I guess I get anxious about getting anxious.  I have never really had steady hands.  I remember being in 1st grade and a little boy making fun of me and calling me "Shakey (shaky)" as I ate my lunch.  I have never received any medical/psychological help for this, but I am thinking about it.  I have a very supportive husband, but I just don't know if he will understand. So, it is good to hear from all of you.  If I find any remedy, I will sure let you all know!
I too have a problem with anxiety and the shaking of the hands.  It got so bad once that I couldn't even write my name on a piece of paper.  The signature actually looked like a kid practicing their handwritting in kindergarten.  That's when I knew it was time to make an appointment with the doctor where he put me on Paxil, which worked wonders for me in the beginning.  But after a couple of months it had just the opposite effect on me and my shaking became even worse and made my heart rate extremely high at a resting heart rate.  I was then put on a beta blocker medicine for a couple of months and that seemed to really help, but decided that I should try other methods in trying to help my anxiety by excercising and eating better.  I am no longer on the beta blocker or any meds and excercising and eating better is really working out for me.  Cut caffeine out a lot and don't drink much alcohol, as I find these two things often made it worse.  Best of luck to all who suffer from this and hope these two methods will work for you as well!
I developed severe tremors after I had my pacemaker installed. when I was on paxil it became pretty bad, now I am on Klonopin and Prozac but I still have them especially when I want to do some  work. even when i move my hands to communicate I start shaking. This is very bizzare but the drs. blame it on anxiety and post traumatic stress. I don't believe them but I have to stay on meds for a bit longer and see what the results will be. I am 60 and I never felt this way for that long of a period of time.
I have always been a worrier, but never really had the shakes.  My anxieties got really bad this last winter.  I cut caffeine out cold turkey and sunk into a deep depression (which is a rare side effect of cutting caffeine).  I felt like my life was spinning out of control.  I was paranoid and constantly running to the bathroom.  I went to my doctor and they prescribed Lexapro.  My anxieties got so much better.  I don't have those compulsive thoughts anymore.  The depression went away, thank goodness.  But ever since that "breakdown" I have had hand shakiness.  I found that it came on in relation to my "breakdown" and not to the meds.  It is almost like my body went through this extreme episode and now my nerves are tired or shot.  I don't know if it will ever go away, but I am so happy not to be excessively worrying.  I can be a happy Mommy now.  That is what is most important.  
I had a cancer scare over the summer and I had to wait quite a while for tests. I am 39 and a mother of two.

Over this period I obviously became very anxious and relied heavily on friends and family constantly reassuring me and talking positive. I cried a lot and became irritable and miserable. I felt I couldn't think about anything else - it was always in the back of my mind.

I have now had most of the tests and everything seems to be ok :-)

At first I felt hugely relieved and on a 'high'. However after a couple of days I woke up with a trembling in my hands, arms and shoulders. It hasn't gone away, although it has subsided a little over a number of days. It seems like an 'after effect' from all the stress.

Like Lax11 at times I also have a pounding feeling in my chest, like the blood pumping. I also feel anxious and tearful, and worry about every little symptom. I'm sure things will improve as time goes on and I calm down a bit - but I just wanted to reassure people experiencing this sort of thing that they aren't alone!
Wow... I just went through the same thing...

had my appendix out... had a cancer scare and was forced to look at my life and think how it may be changed forever... got the results back and things are fine..

went through three weeks of hell.. basically feel now like I had an "out of body" experience with all of the panic, stress and anxiety..

now hands shake... or I am always tapping or having to move around...  I too am worried about EVERY little symptom.. thinking that this is all part of something larger...

I am hoping that when I can workout again, it will help them go away...  and yes... its good to know that we are not alone..

best of luck to all.. we can do this!!

yes i shake terribly when i get anxious. i started noticing after some health scares. mild cases, my left arm/hand shakes, feels tingly,,
then sometimes my neck portion too, and serious ones, my left, neck and right arms feels tingly,, very surreal feeling, but i know its all emotional, as they only manifest when i panic.

it lasts for about 5 minutes and then its okay. hope this helps, it think its perfectly normal. or so i hope!
lara i lost my partner last year and my hands started to shake twiches and jerks i lost him through hospitsl negligence and fighting the hospital i can feel for all ove u its a right bummer go in somewhere for a coffee and to eat and thourally embarressed i have all blood tests but fine i did have panic attacks but they sem to have gone its just tremours in the hand and arm twiches any where it has helped me finding this site thanx its helped me alot lara
I just found this site tonight after a frightening episode. Saturday afternoon, beautiful day in late September, and I'm driving around town, doing what I like best -- shopping! All of a sudden my right hand starts shaking, then it moves up throughout my right arm, then my neck and then my foot and leg shake so much I can't keep a steady foot on the gas pedal. I drove to my doctor's office. I was shaking so much it was hard to walk and I couldn't sign my name. Two nurses asked me if I was having chills, as my mouth and chin were shaking too. I couldn't see my regular doc, but a colleague of his was rather nonchalant and said I was having an anxiety attack and prescribed Ativan.

I've had panic attacks before but nothing like this. And I've been on Zoloft for 1 year now, mainly for depression. I've just taken one Ativan so far, and the shakes are better but not gone completely.

Should I seek further medical attention?

Hi there.  I have had hand tremors for 8 years now, but it recently got worse and I went in to the DR where I was diagnosed w/ Anxiety.  Its from all the stress I have went through when I was younger, stress I am still going through, and stress that I know I will have in the future (which is nothing I can control or help).  I get very bad headaches too.  My heart skips beats and I have to gasp for breath which is the beginning of a panic attack.  I also get very emotional and want to cry sometimes.  So in all I have anxiety, headaches, depression, and light panic attacks.  Everyone handles anxiety in different ways I have heard, so yes searching for answers online may not be the answer.  Also, everyone reacts to medications differently so please don't try to diagnose yourself and ask your DR for a certian medication.  This can just make it worse.  Anyways, I'm on meds now until school is over then my DR said we will work through this.  Sad thing is I notice my shakiness happening more often along with being so tired from the medicine.  Well, take care everyone and good luck!
Ok, I  gather thats its rather common for a person(myself included) to have hand and body shakes due to anxiety/stress. But what about when you get a painful spasm or twitch in you hand and it causes your thumb or finger to jerk!! Anyone else have this?
hi, ive just come across this site, im only 20 years old & since the start of this year, started to get really anxious..palpitaitons (which i no longer get) but am left with shaky hands & my job includes making drinks for meetings which i can no longer do..is it true that drinking coffee can make it worse? i have an appointment in a months time to see a neurologist.
i am a 43 year young male,i recently was taken to the er for the same symptoms as everyone here,rapid heartbeat,hand shakes,sweating, i thought at first it was a heart attack..glad the doctors told me otherwise,but yet i have to deal with this anxiety,not to mention depression,i take buspar and ativan for my anxiety,and zoloft for my depression,they seem to work well together but it seems like i can't live without them..i'm very afraid to drive as i sometimes feel i'm going to pass out when i get my tremors/attacks..i think this has been the cause of years of alcohol abuse/stress in my life..good luck everyone.
I liked your post. I was just doing yard work with long-handled shears, went to take some vitamins and my hand was shaking bad as I drank water. I confronted my wife with it. She told me it was muscle tension from yard work. I love that about her actually. Very non-alarmist.   IMHO all those anti-depressants are bad bad bad. They made two people in my family quite aggressive and they were given to an elderly relative of mine in one visit with a shrink w.o checking her thyroid (which was low) or her alcohol intake (which was high).
I've had mild hand tremors for awhile and today is the first day I decided to research this online.  Can anyone recommend a natural remedy that has worked for them?  My tremors flare up when I'm in an uncomfortable social setting - uncomfortable b/c I'm attending alone, not fully comfortable with myself, worrying about stupid stuff, etc.  Plus thinking about it makes it worse!  I've gone on dates and not had anything to drink b/c I'm afraid I'll drop the glass - I don't have soup b/c of the shaky spoon, etc.  This only happens when I'm nervous/anxious in a social setting.  Anyone tried St. John's Wort, Kava Kava, Valarian, etc.?
Well there are several issues going on here. The first are the tremors from anxiety. The second are temporary movement disorders such as akathesia that many anti-depressents can cause and are not of concern and can be treated with side effect pills. There are of course some movement disorders that are permanent but it depends on the medication (look up the medication website). And then people are describing a diagnosed essential tremor. And in some situations the tremor could have a variety of causes. If someone has tremors from anxiety attacks that start and end with the anxiety attacks that's known. If someone has movements that started with a medication and get better as it wears off during the day that's standard extra pyramidal side effects (temporary movement disorders). People are correct. Klonopin will help with that and anxiety. But if the movements are tic like or emerged suddenly and don't go away speak to your psychiatrist right away and they'll do a movement disorders test. And if someone has a diagnosed essential tremor that's a totally unrelated neurological disability. People know what they get from anxiety attacks but if it appears unrelated don't panic yourself but do speak to your psychiatrist about it and inform them when and how it started so they can better help you.
I  am a 59 year old man and suffer from shaky hands too.
I believe its Panic Attacks that cause Anxiety, not the other way round. We need to understand what I mean by Panic Attack. In other words its a phobia. It doesnt matter what the trigger is, getting in a lift or an aeroplane. The moment you realise that you have to do it, the anxiety starts and a vicious circle begins. Mine is taking a cup from another person, my hand starts shaking the moment I realise its going to happen. However if I am not forwarned I can be fine. Writing is another problem for me, as soon as I have to write something either in front of someone or for someone important like writing a birthday card, my hands go out of control with Panic.
By the way, Stress and Anxiety are not the same thing. Stress can trigger lots of things, Panic is just one, but Panic causes lots of Anxiety. And yes it can be very embarrassing spilling tea all over peoples carpets. (Im very good at cleaning carpets now).
I have tried all the diets, but find high protein foods, with lots of veg and a little carb more stabilising. If you feel hungry it can start the Panic cycle. A little alcohol helps me, just half a pint and usually I can pick up the glass at the bottom and hold it in front of me no problem. But before hand, if they fill the glass too full my hand just jerks about as I lift the glass.
Still working on my problem, but have not resorted to drugs yet. I know I have to reduce stress. Easier said than done in present times.
Hope some of this makes sense. So good luck to you all. Rob.
I had been diagnosed with situational depression and have been on 50mg of Zoloft for about 2 1/2years. About a year ago I had an artificial disc replacement between C4 and C5 in my neck due to a herniated disc pressing on my spinal cord, which at the time doctors believed reduced my motor skills in my hand. 3 months after the surgery I began to notice tremors in this same hand when I feel any stress or anxiety. One Neurologist told me this was Parkinson's and another told me it was an Essential Tremor and was unrelated to my surgery. I have recently stopped taking Zoloft hoping these tremors were drug induced and they seem to be subsiding but feel extermely emotional, am I in denial?
I have noticed that over the past 3-4 months I've developed hand tremors. Not good since I'm a dentist. Talk about anxiety. I'm usually pretty stressed but I haven't felt 'nervous'/anxious for a while, until I started noticing the hand tremors. When hand tremors affect your source of income for providing for your family, especially when you've got so much time and money invested it can really cause a downward spiral of emotion. The more I thought about the tremors the worse they got. Somehow I'm still able to perform at a high level, my patients don't notice and the quality is still where it should be. I've come to deal with the truth that I have anxiety issues and trying to control them is difficult. Sleeping is hard since my mind always races, my shoulders always rise, and I've noticed that my dad also has hand tremors. Now I'm not sure if these are familial or anxiety related. It helps just to talk about it. I've talked with many other dentists who have experienced hand tremors and many of them are very well know and very well respected. They have given me so much in terms of words of advice and support. If they can overcome it so can I. I wish I could learn to control my heartrate better, I feel that when I hold my arm out my heartbeat causes my arm to move. Luckily when practicing dentistry we use hand and finger rests, this helps tremendously to keep things still. This forum is great, continue to share experiences and ways to treat, I know for me personally, I've read several posts from people whose experiences with tremors sound exactly like mine. Don't give up, I know how hard it's been on me the last few months, so I can only imagine what many of you must feel like. Relaxation, deep breathing, and talking about things make such a big difference. Carry on tremor community. Don't shy away, don't be embarrassed.
I'm glad there are people out there who know what im going through, i swear if you get to caught up in anxiety you can feel like the only person alive, and a person doomed to suffer. yeah my shaky hands come and go and my worries switch from topic to topic, it is hard to keep my head on straight, it feels like i can't enjoy life, unless im distracted just enough to forget about my worries for a little while. seriously if its not one thing, its another. I mean all the other 21 year old people i know are enjoying life, why can't i just do the same? I mean, i have moments that are good. but when i have any alone time i feel so freaked out that i have to do something, i swear if i was left alone with just my mind for too long id go crazy,
Thanks to all who have posted, your comments have really been helpful, i may be in this hell, but at least there are people with me, thanks.
I have had this shaky hand thing for a while and anxiety attacks, it started when i was at college (3 years ago) and had to do presentations and i would get shaky hands, it then stuck in my head and now i am low on confidence i feel like half the man i used to be, i cant handle cash at a til or i shake and it is so stressful and i cant eat or drink in front of people sometimes. I have got better over time and have progressed slowly i can handle cash now except when someone hands me a note as i have to hold my hand out longer and that makes a difference.Having a drink relieves me of my anxieties completely but cant exactly go out with a flask everyday, i tried drugs n that works but i aint doing that either,  i tried that congnitive theoropy and it didnt quite do the trick for long enough.
I also have trouble sleeping as i worry too much when i sleep, my heart pounds n skips a beat, I dont have a job cuz i cant find one that fits, i aint had a gf in 3 years, im not a bad looking guy but its incredibly hard to find someone.
On the other (shaky) hand i believe there is hope for us, I do have good days where i achieve things i didn't think i could, i think its a case of being positive and having a "don't give a s*** attitude" towards it all.
But im 26 and i can't go on like this forever, if anyone wants to talk about it with me maybe we can help each other. exchange emails

hello all there.I feel myself very lucky to find this site and forum to find the help for the problem i am facing also.20 years back after having a heavy typhoid a shy,sensative and weak muscle kid at the age of 15 got heavy weakness and right hand thumb started shaking sometimes.over a period of 20 years it extended upto complete right hand shaking and sometimes both hands also with legs.heart beat increases at this situation alongwith short breathening.
after consultation with medical specialists,psychiatrists,and neuro physicians i got to know that its chronic anxiety.and taken some medications also with time to time.but it didnt help me.
can i have suggesstions to improve my situation as it is really un avoid able at times even if i try to avoid it.
I have been to DR's up the wazzu!!! specialists, neurolgists, Psychiatrist. No one has been able to diagnose my tremors. I have suffered from them 6 years and they have definetly been progressive. They started off in my legs then moved into my hands and arms. I have been on various medications none of which seemed to help. I can no longer work they get so bad, I also have issues walking sometimes to almost like my body has forgotten how and becomes sorta of ridget and stiff...The weird thing is after I sleep even for a couple of hours the first hour I am awake they are non existent!!! My doctor currently believes they are physcological which I am willing to accept but if it is related to anxiety its hard for me to resolve that now because I have suffered from them for so long with no real answer my anxiety is complelty about my tremors now and nothing else I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!!! FML
hi everyone,
i read through this entire posting!  thank  you all for what you have to say.  i am a 31 yr old male and recently started to get weakness in my arms and shaking in my hands after exerting them in 'normal' activities.  in fact, they are shaking now.  about a month ago my doctor put me on zoloft, but i stopped after having insomnia for a week.  i got changed to nortriptyline and then amitriptyline and buspar, but it didn't help my insomnia.  the only thing now that is working for the insomnia is ambien.  during these times i've been on these medications i felt the arm/hand tremors worsening.  i've also felt more tense throughout my entire body.  i definitely do not feel calm.  could the medications i've been taking caused these tremors?  could it have heightened any anxiety or shaking i've had hidden or before?  i stopped the nortriptyline, buspar, and amytriptyline, and now it's been like a week and a half with no improvement in the shaking.  i have continued to take ambien for sleep.  i play guitar and drums and i'm afraid it will affect these passions in my life!  any advice would be greatly helpful!
Hi fellow anxiety shakers. Reading your posts made me happy that it isn't just me being a massive mentalist! About a year ago my legs started twitiching and slowly things have got worse, the twitches have spread all over and i get pins and needles and shaky hands etc. Have been to the docctors, the neurologists several times but they say i have "normal neurological symptoms" and all my figures look perfectly healthy. Have a history of anxiety and have tried the odd panic attack so i guess that leaves me with no further explanation. I am a psychologist and have worked a lot with meditation which tends to help as once you are stuck with these symptoms then acceptance is about the only sure fire way to get out again
hello im 22 years old . and i first notice my right hand shaking when i was holding a remote in my hand. and now im left handed. but i never seen the remote shake in my right hand before. so i start getting nervous . i constantly outstreatch my hands and my fingers do shake. my right hand the most. also my legs shake sometime. neck do too and i have muscle twitches all over. more importantly i went to three diffrent doctors and they say i do not have parkinsons. but my fingers still shake when i outstrech them. im going to diffrent sites and looking up parkinsons scared im having young onset. but the doctors told me and diffrent people its rare for a young healthy guy like me to get that. but im always worried about parkinsons. could it be anixety/depression because i always been a on and off depress go. also my fingers and legs do not shake when they are a rest. but can someone help me. i just want my life back. and i do be on the computer alot. but idk whats causing these tremors, muscle twitches.
Hi like the rest of u same symptoms,ashley i reply to you as i was also prescribed lexapro however i went through major anxiety attacks on it nearly ran my truck off the road (after i was told driving would be fine) sometimes it works great and other times sends me into paranoia ,now im off everything including the quantities off pot i used to smoke , same symtoms (symptoms) however im finding the more i breathe and the less i think about them the less the symtoms (symptoms) are doc reckons i should still be on it but have u had any adverse reactions i guess im just more paranoid about taking drugs now than i am when im off them
I'm a 44 year old male and I've noticed I'm getting hand tremors (and up my arms) with increasing regularity. I've also noticed the arm weakness that people have commented on above (though I am fit and can do quite a number of pressups, so my arms are not actually weak, they just feel that way).

I was recently checked for diabetes as I'm also feeling tired a lot, but I'm not. I had wondered if it was alcohol related, because I've had the shakes after drinking. However I am currently not drinking, so it shoulnt be that. I also do not have the tremors all the time. They have just come on (lunchtime), though I've been eating throughout the morning.

Perhaps I've eaten something which has caused the tremors? I know with MSG and caffiene I used to get the shakes (I've stopped caffiene now), so maybe its chocolate or the crisps? I'm in work so maybe its stress? I cant recall getting tremors when I'm at home (morning after a drink aside). Maybe my blood sugar has dipped? Maybe the exercise I started doing last night has caused it to be unusually bad today?

I am not taking any medications aside from Salbutomol for a recent asthma attack... I'll just google that thinking about it.

Ah ha... seems that Salbutomol causes hand tremors and I just used that a little before the tremors. I think I have the culprit.

Hope that helps someone.

I started becoming very anxious about my health over 2 months ago when a close friend was diagnosed with cancer. I got a chest infection and started imagining it was something much worse. From then on I have fretted myself silly and thought about the possible outcomes. I started getting stabbing/burning pains in my chests, back, shoulders and breasts which only added to my anxiety. Ive been to my GP numerous times who keep insisting its coming from anxiety but was unable to be comforted by that. My anxiety climaxed when I had a migrane (migraine) for the first time ever that affected my sight. It was like looking through a Kaleidoscope. Over the last week its got worse and i have experienced a burning crawling sensation in the skin on my hands and feet and now my hands tremble pretty much constantly. They shake really badly when I get extra nervous or when my chest is hurting. Reading this thread has been comforting to know that people are suffering from the same thing. Im only 19 so am a little unkeen to go for any kind of medication. If anyone has got any comforting words or good advice please let me hear them because im so tired of this affecting me so badly.

thank you
Hello and welcome to the Anxiety Community!

You will get a much better response if you start a new thread.  You've posted on a pretty old one and a lot of people tend to pass those by.

Simply copy and then paste into a new thread.  You can do that by going to the main page on the Anxiety Community, where all of the topics are listed, and click on the "Post a Question" link (green button) at the top left side of the page.

We're happy to help!
I am 25 years old. I have had 'nervous'/anxious for years I hate it I cant do anything about it i get sick and shaky. I hate it I dont know what to about it.. It happens at night mostly. What should I do. I have a 3 year old and I hate having to say mommy dont feel good HELP ME
My head has been twitching and shaking as well, it is so strange. I have stayed cleared of my friends and everything I love. Anxiety is a beast! I am trying to help it with a bike ride, healthy eating and Zoloft. I hope to be posting on here soon that everything is okay.

Rachel
try carbamazepine!
i had similar experience in the past but after two years dose of it am normal again
no sweating
no hand shaking
no panicking
this is all related to epilepsy
Hi On Edge,

Hopefully you are doing much better now considering your post was from 3 years ago.  I just wanted to tell you I've had the same thing lately where my head shakes and my hands shake.  I'm on 150mg of zoloft and 40mg of geodon for Bipolar disorder.  I'm starting to think it's the zoloft as I started on this about a month and a 1/2 ago.  I'm trying to be better about not drinking caffeine but it's difficult considering I have to take clonopin just to calm down, which makes me tired.  Seems like I can't win:(  My doctor said by up'ing the zoloft it should help with the anxiety.  I'm not so sure about this but will trust in her for now.  Appreciate your thoughts..
hello midnight, i hope u r feelin better alrdy, im a medical student who's currently in my 3rd year n since i've experienced similar symptoms like urs,u wud prob feel better, im only 23 and im on zoloft and it has helped me alot, its no harm taking medication for short period of time cause it jells u down, well n the most important key winning over anxiety is cognitive behavioral therapy where v must learn nt to sweat over small stuffs, n have to wire our brain differently all over again , it might take a whie bt i've confidence, we can all do it, tc ppl, keep ur faith high, we cn win it over
helllo, its nt the zoloft which is creating tht side effect , its your heightened anxiety, well i experience it too, worst symptoms thn urs, just keep ur faith high n continue finding ur likings n doing them, anything no matter hw bad u r feeling , cause with all this symptoms , im pursuing my medical sch, its the god who's strengthening me, have faith in almighty, expect miracles, n im there 4 u, tc
I get same sensations as you. For me I believe it is diet related, specifically low blood sugar. I'm also looking into sulphite allergies. I am vegetarian and eat quite healthy but certain foods/ alcohol trigger my reactions. Just thought I'd throw it out there...
hi im a 21 year old male.. i have one of the worst anxiety cases my doctor ever seen.. i have every symptom on the list.. i get body pains all day.. moslty in the chest and upper back.. i feel like im ganna die all the time... my hole day consist of me thinking i have a rcaeing heart or heart failuer.. or i have a brain tumor.. it *****. i dont sleep at night and if i do fall asleep i wake 10 minutes late in a panic attack.. i make my wife check my paulse every 5 minutes to see if my heart is raceing.. and the tremors kills me.. i get it in the hands and feet.. im going crazy... i been a paxil for about a week.. i hope it starts to help.. my doc said it may take two weeks to kick in.. but its good to see people that kno what im going trough.. most people dont understand.. they just say its ok when you feel like your about to die..they dont get the feeling.. so hopefully someone will right back..
I am so glad I came across this Forum. I felt like I was alone. My hands tend to shake uncontrollably when I think someone is watching me, or when someone hands me something like a drink in a glass. I am an intelligent person but this handshaking problem I have gives me very low self-estem. It went away for years and recently has returned. I am starting a new job and am afraid that while in training I might shake and someone will see me. I am currently taking prozac and sometimes I think that helps.I have also started taking probiotics which I read may help . Has anybody else heard of these helping?? There are times it doesnt bother me at all and then the next day be doing the same exact thing and my hands start to shake. I really wish I could make it go away FOREVER!!
My symptoms include hand shaking and arms that get tired after lifting things. I have chronic headaches. I'm only 12 years old. I've consulted a doctor already and they said nothing is wrong with me and i'm a healthy girl. So, they will talk with specialists about my condition and call me back when possible.
Hey, i a 16 year old girl, and i am going through the same thing... i am tired of it... i have consoulted a doctor and all they can tell me is to keep taking my medication... best of luck to you sugar... my prayers are with you...
Im 40 now my tremers are getting really bad. I am on paxil and 2mlg of ativan why am i shaking so bad.
Hey guys, first and foremost let me say that I can relate to the pain of what you all are going through and I hope that each and every one of you find peace from this terrible condition. I have a general anxiety condition that runs in my family and I've suffered from it for about 11 years now. I first noticed the tremors when I was 19 and working for a large retailer and going to college as well, my body would shake (head, neck, hands, muscle stiffness) at work and sometimes I would have a slight panic attack while driving home from college. I became very worried about these health problems and became agorophobic and stopped all of my social activites and lost most of my friends because I was embarassed and felt hopelessly alone. Eventually I began taking xanax which worked like a charm and gave me some of my functionality back, but I was very worried about becoming addicted to it, so I weaned myself off of it and my symptoms came back. I eventually found my own place to live and began taking klonopin and prozac which have been a great, great help and I can say right now that I've been able to enjoy many things in life such as dating, socializing and was married for a year and a half. The medications do not cure all of the symptoms, and my anxiety varies by how much stress is present in my life at any given time, for instance I was fine over the past five months, but have had an unexpected falling out with my gf who I care about deeply and my anxiety has been worse than it's been in years which has upset me greatly but I know that it will pass with time. Like many of you I've cut caffiene, nicotene and chocalete out of my diet altogether, and I meditate and exercise and take my meds regularly which helps. I'm thinking of you all and I sincerely hope that you all get through this and find peace, happiness and joy in life. I know that's all I want for myself as well.
I too have the tremor issue on my hands and my mouth.  My mouth gets so bad that I have to clamp my mouth shut, and my bottom teeth have cut the roof of my mouth. I can try to drink something and I spill some on myself.  My feet are constantly moving like I can't keep still.  I think the only thing that relaxes me is to get on my netbook and talk to folks like you or play solitaire.  I have to keep my hands busy.  I can't even sit and just enjoy an entire 2 hour movie.

I actually have another appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow.  Maybe she will help with some type of med.

I wish the best for all of you!  Blessings!
my hands start vibrating by fear whenever i am going to write? what can i do?
hi  yes i do. for about 8yrs now i have had hand shakes , gettin worse now ,right hand thumb an first finger goes into uncontrollabe spasms and actualy feels like  my whole hand is scrunching and twisting and actually feels like its goin to twist itself off , i have to hold onto my wrist n try not to look at it , twice now it has caused me to fall on floor, unable to shout to anyone ,my mouth dropped n  my whole body just shut down, then i can manage to scream for help. twice the paramedics came out and said i had suffered a massive anxiety attack, i have seen a neurologist n had ctscan, mri scan epilepsy scan diabetes tests, all normal.    my husband died 8yrs ago so have lived on edge since then bringing up 3 children on my own and drinking heavily.  stopped the drink altogether now after 10yrsevery day ,not had a drink sine july last year.  have you suffered any symptoms like mine. its scary isnt it . Karen
i am a 23 yr old male and reading these posts actually reduced my hand shakes i was so excited (LOL jk, they're still shaking) but anyways... I have had shaky hands for a really long time now i believe it first started when i was 15 or 16. its funny since its just common fact among my friends that my hands just shake, its a fact of life. in fact, i cant even hold a cigarette on my left hand without dropping it immediately lol..
I have always been a shy person but never to this extent at the moment, i used to even be in a debate club but the thought of public speaking will send me to a shake induced coma... i also went through a period between 18-22 of using cocaine/MDMA/Special K/looots of extacy and my last addiction was oxys which i loved cause it would calm me down. Fortunately, i have been clean for almost 9 months however my anxiety and nervousness are very high. I cannot go to social gatherings without having a buzz to relax my anxiety of being around ppl or to prevent my hands from noticeably shaking. its actually quite embarrassing in public... this im afraid is not a good way of treating my anxiety since as you can tell, i tend to get addicted to substances. Now im battling alcoholism not to the point where i need it daily, i can actually even go weeks without it... but when i start, i do not know my limits and usually end the night with a black out, i really would put alcohol aside if i didnt (maybe wrongly) think that it helps me be a little bit more confident and more importantly, less shaky!
I have gone to the doctors and they have prescribed me endless amount of pills which i put aside after a couple days as i found myself sleeping 18 hours a day... I have been reading many self help books and also become spiritual and try to meditate daily. i also see a therapist... but as soon as an unfavourable situation occurs, i pretty much cannot speak without my voice being shaky or shake all over and drop in blood pressure and my heart goes through the roof. What can i do? so glad to see you're all coping with this, i wish everyone happiness and inner peace as I am in search of, thanx for listening!
i have a very similar story to yours..but i experimented with drugs for many many years you name it idid it.but id say  alot of pschedelics ....quite a few bad trips gave me extreme social anxiety..i also had anxiety that my parents and my guirlfriends parents and others would know i did drugs because one day my uncle said something about my hands shaking which i didnt even notice and he said what are you taking drugs..and from that time on i could not pick up a glass in front of anybody ..i had to resort to not drinking..or waiting until somebody wasnt looking and bring the glass up to my lips as fast as possible with the support of the other and i would still shake..that was sober and years ago..it also completley ruined pot for me cause it would make my anxiety uncontrollable. when i found opiates it was a godsend or what i thought at the time..because it COMPLETLY Cured ANY and Every anxiety worry doubt depression i could have...but with addiction comes the extreme bad side..so i ended up on methadone..i dont have anxiety like i used to..but i still i get  social /performance anxiety at times with my job..i need to have steady hands and from time to time..i get the anxiety attacks and start feeling the sweats hands trembling and i know the customer can see it and it starts to snowball and it comes to the point i just have to say i cant do this..and once they leave i am ok..i self medicated with xanax..and it didnt work..it also just created more problems for me because of its extreme addictive qualities..its bad enough im on methadone..im scared what will happen when i get off of methadone if it , will my anxiety come back in full force...it s bad enough it that comes now and then ..if it comes back full force it will completly destroy my life and career if it comes back....i dont want to stay on meds all my life is their anyway to naturally overcome this has anybody overcome it without the use of drugs.im sick of drugs..
I did not read any posts other than OP, yes anxiety can easily cause tremmors. It causes many fatal heart attacks. People just do not take anxiety serious enough. It can be deadly and that is the truth. I myself have had a Heart Attack from a panic attack,and i have dealt with several seizure dissorders. Im not liein when I say I gotta take a lot of meds for my condition, which a lot of my scrips are addictive, but it is live or die. Just know you are not ever alone, and anxiety is very missinturpeted even in this modern day. Jake
I have the exact same thing as you mentioned i am 21 female and i suffer from panic attacks, these have stopped now but i keep getting this shaky feeling in my hands. when i hold things such as a fork it shakes and i dont know whether i feel its getting worse cause i am aware of it now.
Hello. I have had trembling hands and upper body, coupled with a heavy heart beat/pulsing blood.I sleep OK but start shaking etc a short while after waking up. I also have a nervous tummy every morning. I have just come through the worst years of my life with drug/alcohol abuse and high stress levels. I haven't abused anything now for 2 years and have been having psychotherapy. My therapist and GP both say I am suffering from anxiety. My body is exhausted because it has been in a high state of hypertension for so long. I find it frustrating that now my life has balanced out and there is no longer any serious stress going on, that I am suffering this trembling. I am fearful of social situations (not great as I attend AA and work full time).

I am grateful to have found these posts because I have been feeling isolated  and terrified that this is the start of a serious illness (my Grandmother died through Parkinson's disease). I've had blood tests and get the results this week, but I kinda know that this is anxiety, even though I am not anxious in my head. What a strange feeling this is...and so illogical! This should be the start of a new and fulfilling life but instead I'm a trembling mess. I just hope I can accept that this is just how it is right now and patiently wait to recover. I have read all your comments about medications and am worried about side affects. I take propranolol but would like to do this for myself without drugs (probably because I want to be totally clean from chems of all types).

Does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone else feel frustrated and angry that being clean and sober brings its own problems?

Thanks to everyone
I am currently going through stomach issues and when I start to worry because I am constipated or have diarrhea, I start web md everything and find the worst possible things associated with the symptoms. Which caused more and more anxiety which lead to more constipation and diarrhea.  I was prescribed lorezapham for anxiety and today was my first time taking it because the anxiety got so bad worrying about my stomache.  All this anxiety started a month and a half ago... I was working out at the gym and got done about two hours later( I had a lot of caffeine and workout drink prior to my workout). As I was on my way home I felt like I needed to take a deep breath and then it all started I had heart palpitations that felt like my heart was coming out of my chest.. I felt dizzy, I went home drank lots of water and juice thinking maybe I had defeated myself.... The sypmtOms went down a little but not enough to make me feel comfortable so I went to the hospital and had a ex ray on my chest, echo cardio gram, EKG and all came back normal... I even went to a cardiologist and he said I was fine.  All blood work came back normal.  I followed up with my doctor and he did more blood work and all that was normal... I was referred to a neurologist because of the tingling and burning sensations I was feeling.... MRI of my head came back normal and my neck had a slight herniated disk in the c5-6 area which was prob causing the arm pain and tingling.  After all that I felt more at was but the anxiety symptoms still where bothering me.  Last Friday I got a little bit upset about some things and ever since that my stomache has been going from constipation to diarrhea so I went to see a diff doctor and got my appendix, more blood and urine samPle done and all came back normal.  The doc told me to take milk of magnesia and to flush my system out.  Well took the milk of magnesia and it caused me to have diarrhea.... Once again I started web md things and now I have an appointment to the gastronolgist.... Once I'm done here I will be certain that this is all anxiety and will help me overcome it a lot better. I'm 26
I also suffer from hand shakes due to anxiety. It comes on with issues of thinking of failure and I get it during certain situations at work. I have come to the conclusion that I do have an anxiety disorder b/c it's like you have no control over your hands when it begins. It's frustrating b/c you want it to go away, but it doesn't. It's something I have been dealing with for the last 4-5 years and I have done everything I can to control it, but it still comes on when I get anxious or nervous. I like this message board b/c it lets me know I'm not alone w/ this issue. I am going to try to the deep breathing technique to calm me down when it comes up again and see how that works. However, I will tell everyone this - this is a challenge and don't ever give up on yourself. If you work at it you can control it. Thanks for all the posts to everyone!
hye friends, i have all these experience too. please help.
i m a 22 year old engg student. its all happening for 4-5 years. i cant write even my name on a paper. my hands tremble so badly. the worst experience was when i went to the bank, and i was asked to sign a paper just for a formality, but my hands were trembling so badly that i was unable to write my name. i was feeling so shameful. and in college, everywhere i go, i have to write my name and enroll no, but i always wait for my friends, and think that, they will write my name when writing their own names. please help, i m suffering a lot.....
Have you ever been seen by a doctor for your tremors?  They have medicine that aids in stopping tremors (beta blocker).  I would ask about it.  
I am a 26 year old female and have been experiencing hand trembling, loss in appetite, constantly worrying and heavy heart beats almost daily for the past few months. You cant help but wonder if it is serious and whether it will become more exaggerated and permanent. I am convinced it is related to anxiety and stress. Being only in my twenties, it is really frustrating to experience - as I would think that I would be able to handle my stress better at this age. I have been through some difficult times but I dont believe they have been extremely bad experiences... should be manageable..  I first started experiencing these symptoms when I was really upset over a particular situation.. and now - I feel  like I continue to have anxiety and hand shaking over silly daily incidents that stress me.. I get annoyed with myself for reacting this way.. But I must say - it is comforting to know that I am not the only one! I shall try to meditate and bring a routine to my lifestyle - to help both manage current and avoid future attacks.. (the exercise tip is on my future to do list :S).. I am consciously making the effort not to resort to medication or alcohol as a means of relaxation!

Good luck to everyone on the same boat! :)
i went to doctors, but they said its just tension and not a disease. they gave me medicine but it didn't work. many nights, i can't move my body and feel that there is so much load on my body. it continues for 10 to 15 minutes. and also i feel that my heart is beating so fast many times when i do my usual works. it looks like some day my heart will come out of the body.

Have you tried doing yoga. It works wonders for anxiety. It clears the head and make you feel you have a purpose in life.

Preferably do it in the early hours of the morning. But, before you start on your own I advice you to learn it from a yoga trainer. They have specific exercises for it.

I have had the same problem for years. How ever mine are related to my financial problems that arose after divorce. Insecurities are the reasons for anxiety.

All the best try it.

Jill
Tis the green dragon of Anxitey blow out its fire with your water cannon of might.  Go forth now brave warrior you shall succeed!!
does meditation help you..even iam in similar trouble..
Have you recovered now..iam looking forward forward for some tips..
i m also suffering from this problem. Take Ayurvedic medicine ASHVAGANDHA, it will surely help you to get over it
You might want to consider going to psychiatrist it might help with the tremors i have them as well but  am only 14 years old. but yeah good luck
Meditation helps great with the anxiety, I recently got really bad treamours and have started to train to be a chef, holding a knife can be a ball ache or even just carrying things. Hope i'm in the right carrer,as I do enjoy it :), I also wonder if littleomlette got over the tremours as this post is from some time ago, would be nice to know.
I completely know where you are coming from. I am 28 and have been experiencing social anxiety over the past year, however mostly for staff/student meetings at work. I am really good at my job, but somehow I feel I am going to sound stupid so I begin this overwhelming fear in my meetings.  It gets so bad that my neck is extremely tense and I have a tremor/jerk.  It is so embarrassing and makes me hate myself.  I can't explain myself to people when I have such high anxiety.  I just wanted to say that I know what you are experiencing; however, I have not found anything to help me YET!   I am seeing a therapist for cognitive based therapy; however, everything is easier said than done!  

Good luck and my hope is that it goes away for you!   It's hard to enjoy life at times because of this overwhelming social anxiety!  
Good Luck and God Bless everyone who has this issue.
I had a huge fight over the phone with my brother in early 2012, at 2 in the morning, after drinking coffee all night. It was a really stressful situation because business was involved, and I remember being so upset that I could have punched through steel. I went to bed, only to wake up a couple hours later with my teeth chattering slightly. I was super anxious and freaked out in general. The teeth chattering thing made me more anxious which made me start searching Google... which lead to more anxiety (I know all of you do that, but you won't talk about it here, because even mentioning the things you find scares you).

I've had non-stop anxiety ever since that night, and I have panic attacks in the early morning (usually 2-4 am), and sometimes nightmares which, in their content, aren't very scary, but which scare me half to death. My hands shake when I do things like raise my index fingers up off the keyboard and hold them up. If I try to do yoga, my arms get really shaky and I have to quit. I have plenty of strength to lift weights, but after doing so I'm super shaky. I can't stop and I'm afraid I never will be able to :( I also get muscle spasms when I'm really anxious. They're usually in my left arm or chest (fluttering as mentioned above), and sometimes in my eyelid muscles, and once in a while in my quad muscles. The more I worry or the more caffeine I drink the worse they get. I have to drink caffeine to stay motivated because I work on a computer all day (not exactly exciting), so it's a catch-22.

I did take Lorazepam in 2012 about 6 months after the anxiety started. That helped tremendously in the short term (couple months), BUT your body quickly begins to acclimate to benzodiazapines (which is what Lorazepam is), so eventually you have to increase your dose. After increasing from the lowest dose (half a 5mg pill in the morning and half at night) to a slightly higher dose (1 5mg pill in the morning and half at night), I began noticing that I was acclimating even more quickly, which caused me to have more anxiety (I know, right?), so I quickly waned myself off of the pills (took another month to do), which resulted in way worse spasms and anxiety, because unfortunately the reason Lorazepam works so well is because it dulls your senses, which results in heightened senses when you get off of it. For people who have taken it for years, I hear it's a living nightmare to try to get off of it. In other words, I wouldn't recommend this stuff for anything other than getting rid of a panic attack (like, to use 1 time per week or less - any more will lead you into the same rabbit hole).

I haven't tried much else, but that's because I have a hard time finding any good advice and I hear almost nothing good about any of the meds out there (Xanax seems to be the closest thing to "maybe I should try it" for me, but I've yet to do so). I don't know what to do. If somebody handed me a 1 million dollar check, my anxiety would be gone. I suspect the same is true for a great many of you who stress day in and out about money. I make good money (more than 150k/yr), but that only makes my anxiety worse. When I made less money (~40k/yr) I was way less stressed out, not because my job was easier (it wasn't), but because I didn't feel so much pressure to continue doing so well. I have so much fear because of "moving up in the world" (it's not really moving up - it's just running faster on the hamster wheel), and what I really want is financial freedom, the ability to take time off when I want, the ability to not stress, etc., but unless that happens I feel like I'm stuck in a spiral that will lead to me falling apart :(

Lessons for those whose anxiety is largely due to social pressure and finance:

1) Don't try to make more money - it's a trap
2) Try to find a way to do less while making the same money
3) Have fun doing the things that you did "back in the good old days"
4) Stay on top of everything
5) Seriously, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. IT MAKES EVERYTHING WORSE
Attention

==========================================
EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED HERE PREVIOUSLY

Please post an update, including which post was yours, if you're using a different username for your update.
mychronicbackpain commented on Why You Might Have A ...
1 hr ago
LovemyKids86 commented on photo
1 hr ago
LovemyKids86 commented on photo
1 hr ago