Anxiety Community
Can anxiety cause tantrums?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Can anxiety cause tantrums?

Can extreme fear and anxiety cause tantrum behavior, such as uncontrollable screaming and self harm (i.e. hitting)?
Well, my honest opinion is, it could be a result of your disorders combined.  You have quite a history.  The brain injury would be more likely as a cause than anxiety, but again, anything is possible.  I don't think it's as important to find the exact cause so much as it is to address the symptoms/behaviors.

What kinds of thinfs have you tried thus far?  Any professional help?
Anything is possible, but in my experience, anxiety tends to present more as fearful, timid, being unsure, those kinds of things, rather than aggressive behavior and anger.

Can you elaborate a bit...is it YOU who is having these symptoms?  Anything you can share with us that would be helpful (history of any disorder, any past mental health treatment, etc).

I have Asperger Syndrome but the problem started after a Brain Injury. I was diagnosed with Post Concussive Syndrome, Anxiety, Depression, Migraines, and Epilepsy. I am fearful much of the time. I feel very overwhelmed and I don't know how to deal with my fears. I am scared when I am hitting myself and screaming, but I am scared of what I am doing too. I don't understand why I do this. Could it be anxiety? Thank you for replying.

I am seeing a Psychiatrist and I have tried many medications. She has recently prescribed Cymbalta. I haven't been taking it long enough to notice a difference yet. I keep thinking, what if Cymbalta doesn't work either? Thank you for your help.
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms