Anxiety Community
Can anxiety worsen during exercise?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Can anxiety worsen during exercise?

I love to dance, but sometimes when we are doing things that involve lots of cardio I feel my heart race and symptoms of anxiety come over me. Is it dangerous to exercise when anxious and can anxiety worsen during exercise?
I've noticed that the most prominent symptom of my anxiety is to be overly sensitive to changes in my body. When you are exercising, naturally your body goes through so many different changes from heart beat, to sweating, and body temperature. If you're an anxious person, you might not be able to cope with these quick changes. All of the changes that your body goes through during exercise are awfully similar to the symptoms you have during a panic attack.
                I remember when I first got back on the treadmill after my first panic attack. It was terrible the first few times. With my anxiety, I experience a lot of lightheadedness and I felt like the lightheadedness got worse when I exercised.
             But it gets to be a mind game. Eventually, you manage to convince yourself that exercise can only help you even if you might feel worse initially. I'd say to stick to it. It will get easier with time. Take it slow at first. Don't go crazy at first. Try walking on the treadmill and gradually increasing your speed slowly. I work out every day despite my anxiety and I hardly I feel that it only helps me. Good luck.
Shane1997 commented on A very inspiring colu...
1 hr ago
Jade59 commented on breezytoo's status
Jade59 commented on AppleBr's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms