Anxiety Community
Can feel my heart beating in my chest against my hand, like its just th...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Can feel my heart beating in my chest against my hand, like its just the skin between my hand and heart

i can feel it more when i bend over with my chest angled down, cant feel it when im lying on my back.  i have ribs and a sternum what could this be...... im freaking out
um this maybe just maybe could be anxiety hun the reason you feel your heartbeat so much is cause you have locked onto it so feel every little beat x 100, i forget but you have been checked out havent you? yeah i think you have if im right! you really need to ignore these beats at the end of the day if it wasn beating you`d have a big problem!!!!!
Yeah I thought it was me too but I had someone else feel it and they were like "Weird" .. So I'm thinking it may no be normal, but then again I can't think of anything it could be, like what would cause that you know...

Hmm Maybe I just need to forget about it
maybe they thought it was weird cause when they felt it they were really focusin on it too??? loads of things can cause pounding especially anxiety and the more you think about it the harder your heart will pound trust me im an expert in the heart lol its not nice but it wont kill you, someone on this forum once wrote to me and put dont let the anxiety control you, you control it (sorry cant remember who said it) and its so true unless you can ignore it and get on with life your screwed!!!!
you really have to believe the docs i told my therapist i was scared to do things cause i got breathless, chest pains, heart pounded etc and she made me do them and yeah i still got the nasty sensations but i didn die which proved to me i wasn seriously ill otherwise i would have collapsed or worse!!!!!!!!!!! so im just saying all these feelings you get try and ignore them i know its scary but dont let them spoil your life its to precious

be good x
I look at it this way; better to be beating than not to be beating:)  I know it is an oversimplification, but in my experience, dealing with heart health anxiety we become very sensitized to our feelings.  I can look down by my elbows and actually see my pulse with every heart beat and can also feel it laying down, standing, etc.  Doc just says I have a strong heart, which I guess is a good thing!  Interpretation of our sensations is also important as well. In my opinion, when we worry, we tend perceive any sensation as catastrophic.  So, keep on talking this through and learning about it...knowledge is power...literally.
I tend to freak out sometimes, i get heart palpitations, i won't get them for weeks and than they come back and i get them for a week straight, i've put my hand on my chest and i can feel it to, it scares me but my doctor assures i'm fine, i try not to pay to much mind to it but its hard when it feels like your heart is going to come out of your chest. my doctor always tells me to say to myself " there is nothing wrong with me", i always think there is something wrong with me.
Namaste.

I've read all the posts conceerning this and I only saw one person ask if you've seen a doctor concerning this issue.

If you haven't, that's your first course of action. It may be anxiety, but without an evaluation it's difficult to tell, especially since you didn't indicate whether it was like this all the time or just some of the time(length of time). Other then when lying down.

What is your pulse during these episodes? That can be an indicator of a physiological or psychological problem.

Michael
I've seen a doctor but not for this specific problem.  I've had EKG's, holter monitors, chest x-rays and so on.  My pulse rate has to be low for me to feel it and I have to be kinda bent forward.  like its doing it now and my pulse rate is about 80bpm.
my boyfriend/husband.. has the same problem, not only can you feel it you can see it.. it's no big deal, it's been that way forever.. you are fine, don't over analize yourself.. calm down and try to get your mind off of it.. if everyone tried hard enough to feel their heart beating they could.. remember you are okay..
Thank you so much for the response it probably prevented a panic attack in the making.  I have been so upset about this all morning.  I've had it for a while at it hasn't killed me yet so i'm gonna stop worrying!!!

easier said than done though hahah

thanks:-)

Sweetie, calm down. You really need to try to get your mind off of your heart. You hit the nail on the head when you said....
"I've had it for a while at it hasn't killed me yet so i'm gonna stop worrying!!! "

So have millions of other healthy LIVING people!!!! Myself included. Please try not to worry, you are fine, keep telling yourself that.

Crystal
Hi there, it sounds like you have some kind of cardiac neurosis, where you have a unhealthy obsession with your heart, anxiety usually starts it off, you become aware of your heart beat, and panic because you might have a real heart condtion but you haven't....Have you tried Citropram?
ziptup added the Anxiety/Panic Tracker
16 mins ago
vicki595 commented on Feeling real and tryi...
meegWpaw commented on Feeling real and tryi...