Anxiety Community
Can the contraceptive implant implanon cause anxiety and depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Viewing 401-430 comments:

I'm 17 years old and I had the implant fitted a year in an half ago, I got it removed 2days ago because I have been very ill during these last 6 months.. at the start of getting the implant it was a great thing but my periods where all over the place and as horrible as this sounds it was like a weird brown colour sometimes or sometimes dark and sometimes normal, anyway they finally stopped and I was so happy but one day I just went really ill and lost all my energy and felt like I was going to past out and got neverours for no reason and couldn't face going out with friends I felt like I going mental doctors didn't know what was wrong with me I had panic attacks, dizziness and ringing in the ears they sent me for blood tests also a MIR it was the most scaryest thing ever, anyway the result came back and everything was normal. I felt like giving up theres obvs something wrong with me :( they then said I have anxiety .. gave me tablets like hell did they work! I looked up the implant and found so many similar comments so I have had it removed I still don't feel any better yet I know its only been 2days but I hope to god this is the reason why I am feeling like this :( please someone comment if this gets any better.

thank you xx
Samantha,
I am getting to the point where I cant go out and be with friends and I get scared for no reason I have to push myself to do things and its so hard and scary feeling I have had my implant out 2days now anyone know how long it will take to get my normal life back :'(
i am on my 4th implant now.been using them for 11 years and i think they are the best form of contraceptive there is!everytime mine is due to be removed,i have my new implant put in at the same time.i would never use any other contraceptive now.i havent had a single problem with mine.my periods stopped completely,which i like.havent had one single side effect from it.i am tired constantly but i felt like this before i had my first implant put in.i would reccomend the implant the implant to anybody.in fact a lot of my friends are using it now and they are all fine on it too.from reading a lot of the comments on here and the side e ffects people describe e.g anxiety,mood swings,irritability,suicidal thoughts, it would seem yous are all suffering from depression or some kind of psychological disorder.u need anti depressants,not the implant taking out.a lot of women reading this who are thinking of having the implant will be really put off by the misleading comments on here which is a shame as the implant would probably be a great choice for them.i know its not suitable for everybody but i for one am very pleased with it and have had no problems whatsoever with it for the last 11 years.thanks for reading!
I too am on my 3rd implant.i am 28 and had tried the pill and other forms of contraception with extreme side effects- the injection for example gave me and other members of my family more problems then they were worth- i have  found the implant is the best form of contraception and believe me apart from the coil I have had them all. yes every form of contraception has its draw backs and has side effects like other medication does and everyone's body acts differently which is why they give you the leaflets when making a decision of this nature and in them it does warn of the side effects that most people have mentioned. what i would say is read them people and make an informed decision also  my local health authority will not supply this contraception to under 16's because of these side effects so slightly confused as to why 14's and 15's year olds have this implant- it actually says they are not suitable for those ages.

so to summerise- the implant will have different effects on different people like with any medication. i have found no problems really with it - in fact no periods for 3 months is a good thing- in all my 3 implants. also would not suggest for under 16s since my medical authority does not supply it to this age range.

hope this helps.
Glad to hear a positive recovery! Women's health issues around reproduction are so ignored by the general medical community, even female doctors!  There is a great website by a UBC Doctor Jerrilyn Prior @ http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/ that explains so much!  I got off the pill bc of risk of stroke (on many meds with that risk, plus weight, arrhythmia, scar tissue in veins, etc) and got so overly emotional I wanted to die. I was ranting non stop, picking fights, smashing belongings, and had the heaviest menstruation of my life; thought I was bleeding to death!  The CEMCOR website is really informative, all women should check it out.  Re IBS; have u tried probiotics?  Seem 2 work 4 me, also helpful for BV  
I've had the implant for six months ad before that I was on the mini pill, and I've been experiencing some serious mood swings. My boyfriend broke up with me twice because of it. I thought it was just me but I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one having this problem and that it's probably the implant that's doing it. I will definitely be having it removed. I've never been like this before, but I've only just made the connection that it was when I started using contraceptives. Severe mood swings, feelings of insecurity, cryin at the stupidest things, sometimes I can be really happy and the next I've hit a low. I went out the other night drinking with my friend and I had a really good time. As I was walking home however, I had an emotional break down, something which had never happened to me before! I'm glad I found this page though, I thought I was the only one it was happening to!
Definitely be getting it removed!
I have implanon for about 3 weeks now. I have Always suffered with depression and anxiety, but now it's just horrible. I don't want to leave my house; I'm so paranoid and anxious. I cry all the time and have horrible worrying thoughts. My hair is beginning to fall out more than usual and I have a general uneasy feeling all the time. I would not recommend this for anyone that already has anxiety or depression.
Hello, All I want to say is everyone is different.. on this thread people arent all from the same friendship group and probs a percentage which have been scattered all over the country. I know people with the implant who have been fine and are on there second one... however I also know a handful of people that havent. Ive had the implant in for 2 and a half years and other then scattered periouds and spotting I thought i was fine. However i started becoming really aggressive and having irratable problems with anyone close to me. my boyfriend for instance is an amazing person and he literally would have done anything for me but anything he did would make me so angry and make me want to cry cos i found him so annoying. ontop of that i blamed my spotting for lack of sex drive.. whenever my boyfriend would touch me i felt so irratated and upset and would just pretend to sleep.I broke up with him and put it down to growing out of love; however now ive had the implant out all my friends have seen such a significant change in my mood and i cant stop thinking about sex so its safe to say my sex drive has come back. In some instances some people may be suffering from depression but the change in me as a person since having it taken out has been so drastic, its important people are aware of the mental changes the implant can do.. because it has ruined my life and perfect relationship.
i am 15 and had it for 6 months. i have been crying all the time, headaches for the past week, and my heart is going crazy. i dont know how to tell my parents without being a hypochondriac, or just 'over reacting'. i hate the implanon and i want it OUT! i havent had my period in 4 of the 6 months. and i feel like im going crazy. i dont know how to get everything under control and try to calm myself down... please help... im so desperate! :'(
I am having mine out today and will report back on if it was the implant causing the depression/anxiety/tearfulness, or if it was unrelated. I am really not sure as it was fine for the first 2.5 years, but the last 6 months I have been a wreck. I am hopeful it is the implant because then at least there will be an answer, rather than actually having to deal with depression. I have been unable to sleep, anxious, heart racing, depressed about my job, social life and future, unable to feel happy even when doing fun things or with friends, I just feel disconnected and not at all myself. I am so hopeful that having the implant out will let me feel like myself again, even a few months is too long to be feeling this way.
I have only had my implant for a couple of months. I am so fed up of crying for no reason but especially when I am with my partner. I was such a fun loving person and love to laugh. but all I do now is feel sorry for myself and cry like a baby without any particular triggers. Not happy ! Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. Helps to know I'm not going totally mad all by myself.
I have had the implant for 3 months and since having it fitted I have bled constantly, have horrendous acne on my face, chest and back, and have become unbelievably depressive. I have changed from someone who was so laid back and happy to a highly strung, stressed to the max, b*tch. The funny thing is, I am completely aware of it but there is nothing I can do. It's like a fog has descended and nothing can clear it. I know the acne is contributing to my bad moods - I was invited to a costume party this evening and was meant to be meeting a good friend for dinner but I have cancelled both. I don't want to leave my house looking like I do. I have never felt like this before in my life and it is terrifying. I am scared I'm going to go to my doctor and they will just prescribe more drugs rather than allowing me to have the implant removed. I think I'm going to make an appointment for monday :(. Has anyone else had problems convincing their doctor to take it out?!
ive had the rod in for 2 and a half years, I just don't feel like my self any more, I thought I was going insane, I am glad im not the only one, I am not my self any more. im being a monster to my boyfriend when hes done nothing wrong I feel so guilty, some time I cant control it! I just don't feel like doing nothing no more, nothing interest me, I even force my self to go to sleep wen I wake up in the morning because I cnt face another day like it, plus not having a job dosent help just makes it worse. my mood swings are extreme and I get hot flushes like pin pricks on my neck wen I go out, I want to be able to tell my boyfriend but I don't think he will understand and he will fink im a geek lol , I cry every day, iv put on 4 stone,i could go on all day. im guna go to docs 2mora and explain even tho I will feel embarraest, women should get know the side affects of the rod, doctors just want you to have it because to many young girls are having children, they don't tell you the affects I have even got a bad skin rash round my neck and back due to stress,  
It's unbelievable how many women this contraceptive implant is affecting, and all in the same way! I've felt like a different person since January this year. At first, the Implanon was fine, I felt fine and even my boyfriend noticed how fine I was feeling! But from around the time I had my Implanon put in, I went through a lot of emotional bullying from my boyfriend's mother and both of his parents made me feel so low and worthless. I lost weight purely from stress. For months, I've not known whether I've been depressed because of how they made me feel or whether the implant has made those feelings of anger towards my bf's mum stronger or whether it's just the implant alone! I have the feeling that I may have to take the thing out soon because I feel like I've made such little progress in getting over the bullying that I went through.

I bled everyday for almost 10 months. The lovely nurses at the clinic were so sympathetic, but prescribed me 2 different types of contraceptive pills to take with the implant still in. It just got worse... I felt nauseous, sick and so upset that I would scream. The bleeding stopped eventually on it's own, and it seemed like things were ok. But then my moods have been unbelievable, and I thought that it was more than hormones because I've felt suicidal and also like I could really hurt the ones I love. And I feel so guilty. I haven't wanted to be around my friends and I have irrational thoughts such as "she isn't really working on my birthday, she's just not wanting to see me."

I feel like I can't talk to people a lot of the time. I used to be able to call people up to ask for information on some things, but now I just hope that they have an email address so that I won't have to speak to anyone.

I'm taking this thing out asap! Thank you to all of you who have shared your experiences. I think that this has made me think about everything so much clearer and now I know that I'm not alone.
I was pleased to find a recent post on this subject!  I had the implant put in after my second child in August 2009. My periods became unbareable. I had to take the mini pill for six months as I bled constantly.  I became bitter and moody and my husband almost left me as he couldn't take any more. Then things got worse, I started having panic attacks and severe anxiety. Go diagnosed as gad and postnatal depression. 4 years on with 2nd implant I still suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. My husband stuck with me thank goodness.  After reading this topic I do wonder if the implant could be the cause of all this heartache. I have asked my go if the implant is the cause but he says not!  I'm not so sure now. I have the other side affects like feeling like I'm pregnant and having period symptoms but not period.  I am thinking of having a third baby so might have the implant removed, it will be interesting to see if there is any change to my life of anxiety :/
I just wanted to add that period wise things are better as I only have the odd one now.  Why if there are so many women all over the world suffering from anxiety and panic attacks since having the implant do doctors not find a connection???????  I will let you know how I feel when I get this implant removed!!
I had the implanon put in 4 years ago...and it was great. I never felt any kind of depression, my period stopped for about 6 months, I didn't lose my sex drive. Nothing. So when I finally got the newer version the Nexplanon I was excited that I'd have another three years to plan for babies. Now I'm seriously considering getting it removed. The last 4 months have been AWFUL. My relationship seems like it's always in some sort of turmoil. I'm constantly depressed. I cry for no reason. I go from feeling normal to mad at the world to crying for no reason then just feeling raw and emotionless. I can't keep my emotions in check. I constantly yell at my fiancé for no reason. Luckily he's understanding of it. But how long will that last? I'm currently having all these issues, which brought me to this forum. I can't stand myself. I'm having suicidal thoughts. Literally thought to myself that I just wanted to stab myself to let the pain out. And I've never been one for cutting or causing myself harm. In fact I yell at my friends who do that. It's never been something I've ever accepted as a way to help. but now i'm feeling that it's the only way I can release my pain.  this all sounds so dramatic as a type it and I loathe myself for it. Has anyone taken any anti anxiety meds or anything of the sort alongside this implant and had it work? I'd really like to not change birth controls. I've always been very forgetful and know that the pill won't work for me. I've tried the nuvaring and that just gave me migraines. I'd really like to not get pregnant in the near future but I can't deal with these panic attacks, social anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, all of it. i'm so done...
Hi althea45.  I am taking mirtazapine ( I am in the UK )  they are to help me manage my anxiety and panic attacks.   I have always been prone to depression and anxiety but 8 months after I had my 2nd child I lost control.  I could barely look after my 2 children by myself.  My husband had had enough of my mood swings and left for a few days.  That was a wake up call! I realised I had become this whole other nasty person. The panic attacks hit me hard. All I could think about is myself an how I had lost my mind.  I thought I would have to be put in a place for the mentally ill!  It has taken 3 years to get to be an almost normal human being and I'm still not there yet!  I have asked the nurse and my doctor about the nexplanon implant being the cause but they say it isn't!  Can all of these women from all over the world be wrong? ?  I really know how you are feeling and im afraid as far as the implant goes I don't have any answer.  But dont be aafraid of medication. It isnt a cure but it helps me to think more clearly an try an help myself to get better.  I am tempted to have the implant removed to see if it makes any difference but im also afraid of feeling disappointed if it doesn't.  Think of this time in your life as a blip, it can only get better x
I have had nexplannon for 3 months and at first it was great besides the constant spotting. But after the first month i started to feel depressed and noticed it then had a nervous random cough all the time like trying to help my feeling of being uncomfortable.Anxiety also started and has only gotten worse day by day to where i don't understand whats going on and have these crazy thoughts that run through my head and know that's not how i think always negative, paranoid, jealous, dizzy, migraines. Till finally i broke down at work felt like i was gonna collapse couldn't stop crying or know what to do just so lost in my thoughts. Also any kinda stress would just through me over the edge and the worst i love to eat but every bite i take i gag now and i have lost a scary amount of weight like becoming anorexic its frightening. Im getting mine removed in a few days me and my bf agree its changed me i cant even smile it takes too much out of me to try also when ever i have to be around people i try to avoid it wanting to isolate myself which i am a positive extremely people friendly easy going lady and now i just want to tell people to leave me alone and slap them in the face and im all against hurting others my bf loves my gentle personality but with this i just feel bitter and before this i can handle high amounts of stress that was my first sign of the bc affecting my control over my thoughts and actions so its getting removed Tues cant wait im so glad im not the only one who felt insane that were normal before and hope everyone is doing well i cant wait to be happy again its such a waste of time to live depressed and on high stress/anxiety. Also out to that 60% that don't have these side affects i wish i didn't its a great feeling to know your safe from getting pregnant or not having to remember to take anything but its not worth feeling like your loosing control of your self!
So so glad I found this website. I have had the implanon in for 2 1/2 years. Foe the first year it was fine, but gradually have been getting more and more depressed and my anxiety level is off the charts. I never thought it could be my birth control. I have had issues with a lot of weight gain since I've gotten it in. I am having mine removed on Tuesday and going back to the pill. The mood swings are just horrible. At times I thought I was going crazy!. So glad I've found others who have had the same reaction to the implanon.
Omg I have paragurd iud for 6 months now and I think that cooper is playing with me, I had been diagnosed with anxiety 4 months before I put iud, in the beginning not anything worry but 2-3 months later I started to get shooting pain all over my head and headaches which I never complain before in my life, then I started getting moody backpain my anxiety is so bad that I have been having lose stoles for months, I get metalic taste on my mouth and I know is because of cooper iud. Iud is ruing my life . I use to get pulpation on my panic attacks only now is like every time. So in two days that thing is out cant wait counting the minutes. Good luck girls.
I've had 3 implants now.. I'm 21, (usually) happy, Good career, in Uni, recently married, very lucky girl...  I've always experienced problems but nothing as severe as i'm experiencing now.. Firstly i experienced extreme erratic bleeding, nothing would stop it. Just had to wait for it to sort itself out! I also experienced massive weight gain of over 3 stone, but put that down to quitting smoking... Then i moved onto the second one.. The bleeding was getting so out of control i had it out and another one back in to see if it would make any difference.. That was when the depression came.. Obsessive intrusive thoughts for weeks, crying at anything and everything, can't sleep, overwhelming feelings of anxiety, feeling scared and paranoia... Gradually after a month i managed to get over it and got back to my normal self. Just want to clarify, I have NEVER had any problems with any of these before, no history of depression, no trigger, no loss or death, no reason to be upset what so ever!!! No problems since then, until last thursday... I was out enjoying a meal with a friend when i started having a terrible headache, i thought nothing of it and went home, feeling fuzzy headed, tired, confused, blurred vision. The next day i was out of control with the intrusive thoughts, crying for no reason and feeling like I was going insane.. Even to the point of suicidal thoughts just to stop these horrible feelings.. Ive lost half a stone in 5 days because i'm so upset. This really is not me! I visited the doctor and she diagnosed me with having depression. She suggested i have the implant removed and see how i go from there as even in the book she had, it states that it can cause depression... I'm going to the clinic tomorrow to have my implant removed... It never occurred to me that this could cause such horrendous side affects! I'm just lucky i've had the support of my doctor, family and friends other wise something terrible could've happened. To anyone else suffering with such symptoms, please stay strong and visit your GP for help...
I've had my Implanon for 2 and a half months now and I first started to see a change in my attitude and mental health back in January I would say is when it happened. I had a really bad anxiety attack and went to the hospital. They thought it was because I was dehydrated and had low potassium. After that happened I would freak out on my roommates for no reason. I was very short tempered with people. Then in May I had another bad anxiety attack and was back in the hospital, this was when they said I had a panic attack and gave me some meds for it. After that last experience I was never the same. I didnt care about myself anymore, I didnt care what happened to me. The only way I could describe it is having an out of body experience, I just wasnt myself. Everything in my life was going wrong and I felt like there was nothing I could do but sit back and watch it happen. I was in a car accident; totaled my car, lost my grandpa, and on top of that I had to deal with my anxiety that was making my chest pound and I couldnt handle it. In June I started dating my wonderful boyfriend and unfortunately for him has to deal with my crazy self. Lately I've been overreacting to the little things he does and acting jealous and mad about the stupidest things. One night I woke up crying because he rolled to the other side of the bed and pulled all the sheets with him and I sat there and cried about it for like ten minutes. Then the other night I was staying at his house and I had to work early in the morning and he was playing video games and I asked him to cuddle with me. I fell asleep and woke up at around 4 to him still playing video games and I got pissed and left without saying anything. I had no Idea why all this was happening to me until I found this site yesterday. After discovering this website I decided to call and make an appointment to get it taken out, I'm done being miserable. Thank you everyone for your stories, hope mine helps as well for others
This thread is very old, and very long.  Please start your own new thread, so your questions and concerns can be addressed.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new_with_new_subject?forum_id=71

Thanks!
hello I am a male asking your ladies for help I have bean with my fiancée for 4 years and we have never had an argument in all that time she had the implant in 3months ago and then things slowly changed she stopped sleeping over we couldn't have sex she has been  bleeding all the time since it was fitted and 2 weeks ago she was telling how much she loved me and we was fine as with I was worried with her not stopping. 4 to 5 months ago we was looking in buying an house then get married and then kids in years to come so we pretty much had it all sorted life was grate we was never happier then last week she was booked in to have it removed on the Monday but on the Sunday  she told me she feel the way she ment to  and finshed with me after having it removed she came up to see me because I need to know why and she did not know why she felt like this she wont talk to me any more and she is out on the drink all the time im giving her the space she needs but to know how long to it take for her to get back to her old self its me birthday next week and I don't  want spend it alone with out her
I meant 2 and a half years here
i am amazed at how naive i have been for the last 5 yrs of having the implant in, my partner just thought i was now moody and boring and gone off him, when i used to have a quite high sex drive be really bubbly and outgoing etc i miss the real me, i have wanted to have it removed for a long time but it is such a reliable contrceptive, after reading all your stories though i am definately getting it removed, my daughter is 5 now and i am ready for another baby ( have been for a very long time but partner only just got head round the idea!!!) so wish me luck ladies will tell you all if it makes a difference to me and how easy or hard concieving is xxxx thank you all for adding your experiences it really has helped xxxx
I have had the Nexplanon for 15 days now, and I have scheduled an appointment to get it removed in 3 days. I started feeling nervous, anxiety stricken, and depressed 4 days into getting the implant.
I have never been depressed in my life. I am normally a happy person, with the occasional stress that life brings. I knew that is was caused by the Nexplanon when I noticed that my anxiety and depression reached a high 10 days into having my Nexplanon. I had two panic attacks, my heart was hot and fluttering. I lay down to sleep each night, and I cant sleep until 3 a.m. and i wake up every 2 hours with hard breathing and anxiety.
This doesnt neccisarily mean the nexplanon is terrible, but i do believe that for certain people the Nexplanon or Implanon is not for everyone, and that all women and their hormones are different. So the cookie cutter mg that they prescribe to every single woman is WRONG.
I recommend doing all your research before jumping into the idea of the implant. Luckily I noticed my attitude change within 20 days of having it, im sorry for those of you who waited years. I wish you the best of luck.
Hi CurlyGurly270,
I have had the exact same issues as you do! I constantly start arguments with my Bf... Sometimes over nothing and it’s destroying our relationship. I feel depressed at times and can’t seem to get back up again.. I remember myself before the Implant always cheerful and happy about life.. Ever since I had this put in my arm... I haven’t felt my usual self everything is shadowed by my moods and paranoia. After reading your post it made me feel a lot better than I wasn’t alone in this and it is the implant causing my unusual outburst.  I’m getting it taken out this week: P
Please start your own new thread, as this one is very old, very long and will get overlooked by responders.  We want you to get the info and support you need.

Thanks!
This has been happening to me too! I have had the implant in since last June and the first few months were fine, and I would get my period regularly and then all of a sudden these last few months have been AWFUL!!!! I was spotting and then skipping my period all together so I thought my luck I would be the 1% that would get pregnant on this birth control. Took a test and it came out negative. I have been a raging mess. My moods are out of control, and I do not like this feeling! I want my old self back!
Wow, im glad i seen this post. I have had implanon in for over a year now. I feel rock bottom, i litrally feel like im dying. Energy is at 0. Anxiety is the highest its ever been, headaches, back ache, social fobia, depression, crying. I have been back and forth the doctors, them saying my thyroid, my iron, etc. Im on meds 4 them but i feel no difference at all. This implant is definatly the cause. Im having it removed tomorrow. I dont know how much more i can take with this.
Hi Emma, Please try not to let it get to you.. I'm still suffering myself but you have to TRY and keep your mind off it. Try going to a homeopath! I've been seeing my GP for my problems and she doesn't seem to care, thinking i'm depressed or 'being silly'.. I've also started to take evening primrose oil and starflower oil as a supplement as it's said to have good effects on inbalanced hormones.. If you're not happy ask to be tested. I know how you feel and it's hard to cope - not feeling at all like your self is unbareable especially when nothing seems to help! If you need to chat, please come back.. Good luck!
Hya it's big back my partner has ended it with me r you still the same or you any better I hope you are if you dnt mind me asking how long do you think it will take till get back to normal she never spice to me for 4 Weeks till last week not getting a lot out of her and ahe won't talk about me and her but we going to a gig next week together we going to b in car for 2 hrs to get there so I was hopeing for to open up
I'm so glad i've come across everyones thoughts and experiences due to the implant. About 2 days ago i tried taking my life. ive been suffering from anxiety and depression horribly; baring in mind nothing ever got me down and i was always such a bubbly, positive person. Nothing or no one could ever get me down no matter what.

When i was taken to hospital the doctors made me feel crazy, they asked loads of questions and refused to believe me when i said it was the implant thats making me feel this way. My boyfriend agreed with them, and that hurt me so much. I felt like i really was crazy, all my hopes as to why i was feeling and behaving the way i was pinned down to me. My worthlessness, my suicidal thoughts, my past....all just me.

After reading everyones experiences,  i feel like i'm not going insane, and although i felt horrible and like life wasn't worth living anymore over these 2 days especially, i'm so greatful to each and every one of you for sharing your story, because lord knows it was only about time i did something stupid again. Due to the fact that everyone made me feel as if i was going crazy.

My heart and prayers go out to the mother who lost her daughter due to this horrible piece of plastic. No one should ever have to go through what she did. I know exactly how she felt too..........
Hello I'm just wondering how Long after the implant was removed did it take for you ladies return back to your old self it's just bin a month till my              expartner had hers out and the last time we talked she sed she started sorting things out in her head she blowing hot and cold we spoke 4 days ago and before that it was 4 weeks she will talk to me about stuff bot won't talk to me about us ahe won't talk about anything what's going on to anyone
I had the Nexplanon fitted and it has exactly the same hormones as the Implanon. I am 18 years old. I went through complete hell after 2 months of having it inserted. I suffered really bad panic attacks where I would stop breathing for up to a minute and afterwards my whole chest would feel bruised, like a heavy person had been standing on it. I would cry up to three times a day. I went into a serious deep depression, thinking of suicide often and even trying to self harm. I felt like no one understood me, lost all hope for my future and felt it was impossible that I would ever feel happy again. I started to feel like I wanted to die but I was too scared to commit suicide. I tried counseling and they were eager to give me antidepressants but I wasn't keen on taking them so I didn't and tried to tough through the depression. It took me months to find a free day for planned parenthood to remove the Nexplanon. Within 48 hours of removal I was completely myself again. It has now been 2 weeks since I have had it removed and I have had no depression, suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, anxiety or desperation to self harm. The Nexplanon made me completely crazy, I fought with everyone I was close to felt completely alone and came really close to hurting myself badly. It is an incredibly dangerous method of contraception. I am now on birth control pills and will never have any hormonal altering devices inserted into my body. I am happy now and in complete shock that something so small could have changed everything I felt so fast.
I have had the implant now for 2 years, and everything has been great for me, I usually don't get my menstrual until 5 or 6 months which is pretty nice, but lately I have been having bad anxiety and shortness of breath. I have been experiencing heart palpitations, I'm not sure if these side effects are from the implant?? I also have been experiencing confusion. I don't know if the confusion is from the implant. anyone out there feel the same?
Im so glad I came on this. I've been mad recently, completely and utterly mad. I've put me and my long term boyfriend completely on the rocks because he cant understand whats wrong with me and I try to explain everything yous have said and he just doesnt understand it. I am so so depressed and feel like my whole life is a problem and ive been getting upset over everything and I just constantly feel sad, I'm so so sad. I've never been like this ever before and have constantly been the happiest girl ever, all my friends say it, im always so cheery and see the good in everything. But I'm feeling nothing like ever before I feel like I've lost myself and now my boyfriend has lost it too and I really dont think he will stick around much longer if I dont figure out whats wrong with me. Do you begin to feel better once getting the implant taken out? I'm scared of feeling this way forever.
Oh my god, this page has literally helped me so much, i thought it was only me experiencing these crazy symptoms.

I can't have more than two drinks without blacking out and not remebering the night or picking a massive fight with anyone!
I get anxious about literally EVERYTHING i worry about everything! I can't be happy, i'm consciously hating myself all the time and i have put on so much weight and i'm always at the gym and eat well, everyone says i just look bloated and its so annoying.

This thread has literally made me feel so happy, i've had the implant in for almost 2 years and ive been experiencing these symptoms for a year almost now, i've never thought the implant is the reason! i'm calling the doctor tomorrow to get it removed and explain why! I don't understand why this is not a recognised side effect, it's so destructive to women and our relationships and life! I've lost so many friends and come close to loosing my boyfriend.

I literally can't wait to get this removed and go back to the pill which is safe.

Thanks so much everyone! I'm so glad i decided to research this tonight :)
I have experience shortness of breath and was diagnosed with Asthma and i have Heart Palpatations all the time, this never happened before being on the implant it is nuts!

I am getting it removed ASAP.
i am on my frist implant it will be a year in feb and i started my menstruate is this suspossed to happen?

I'm 19 years old and i've had the implant for 10 months. I was always encouraged by friends and suggested by family members that it's a good method of contraception. And for the first two weeks it pretty much was fine, but then my periods got heavier, more painful and darker (almost brown looking).  I left it in thinking it was my body getting used to it and when I'd had it in for 6 months I had gone back to the clinic asking what they could do to help, as i also began getting frequent pain in my arm. Instead of removing it they put me on a 3 month trial with patches also, it helped with the periods but before i started the patches, i started feeling depressed and less willing to go out . I've not gone to visit the GP as I'm afraid they will just turn me away without getting me some kind of help.
Any one offer any advice?
Please and thank you
This thread has gotten quite long, so we're going to close it and invite members to start a new thread for questions on this topic.  To do so, please click the "post a question" button near the top of the page.

*********** THREAD CLOSED ************
NO MORE POSTS, PLEASE.
Viewing 401-430 comments:
This discussion was closed by MedHelp moderators.
UPDATE
1 hr ago by Irisbritney
Swollentoe commented on photo
jerialice I am probably cured!!!! yee... Comment