Anxiety Community
Can the contraceptive implant implanon cause anxiety and depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Viewing 201-400 comments:
WOW! Why didnt we all notice these coincidential symptoms earlier????
I have had mine in 2 and a half years, it was ok in the beginning to be honest, I was getting madder and madder at my boyf of the time, but just put that down to hating him and being down, although that seems blurry now........... It is the last 6 months that have really killed me though, I have developed an AWFUL social phobia, I start panicking if I catch a stranger catch eye with me, I panic when paying at the cashier when I am doing a weekly shop, it made me quit my job coz i couldnt face customers!!!!!!!!!!
......Not to mention the anxiety, fast heart beat, sleeplessness that I am suffering. Before reading this I actually got myself in touch with a councellor thinking I was going mad. and now I am going back on that and booking myself a consultation at the clinic to GET RID OF THIS THING!!!

Just wana say thanks to all of you for wising me up!!
I just wanted to say that my 17 year old daughter had an Implanon rod fitted about four or five months ago...and despite the mood swings and weight gain and headaches decided to stick with it as she had just gone through the trauma of a preganancy and termination. The last week she has been suffering awful panic attacks where she thinks she is going to die.... and that she turns horribly white, her eyes almost pop out of her head, she cries and for a mother its extremely distressing to see. I thought it was panic attacks and assumed that it was because she was going back to school and it was a little scary. new environment, new people etc when my eldest son mentioned to me that his ex gf had read that the Implanon could be causing the panic attack.... I never thought of it ! Am so glad that I have read this forum, and thankyou all so very much for posting on it... at least this will help her feel as though she is not losing her mind.. and that now I can help her through it instead of feeling useless when shes crying and asking... whats wrong with me mum :( Am going to make an appointment to have it removed tomorrow.
I wish I had seen this site before I had the implant put in.  I had mine put in in August.  I had been under some stress prior to this due to a new challenging job role but I was dealing with it and felt was making headway.  I was also happy and felt positive with my relationship.  Almost immediately after having the implant I started to feel very differently about every aspect of my life and the negativity has continued to grow and now I no longer feel myself.  I  went away with all my girlfriends on holiday and found it impossible to have a good time.  I was tired (still am constantly) sullen and was not interacting properly.  Work has become a bit of a mare as my ability to think clearly seems to have been affected and now I don't know what the implant is causing and what are real issues.  I am going to have it removed in the next couple of weeks and hope to start to see a difference!!  General feelings are extreme tiredness, lethergy (just want to sit and do nothing) like my 'stuffing' has been removed and I am no longer witty, articulate or fun to be around.  Oh Dear!
I had the implant put in about 2 months ago and i feel better that i know what has been happening to  me is 'normal'. i have been experiencing long very light periods that smell awful, but i read another blog and that said that drinking good bacteria such as activia can help.  Ive been soo emotional lashing out at my partner (hes soo good to me) ive had day where im crying for absolutely no reason or getting really angry at any and everybody. Ive also become very paranoid and less outgoing. I dont like the way i have become but i like the fact that this protects me from getting pregnant i need to research an alternative which is just as good. ill post if i find anything
I'm so glad I found this forum. My implant has now ran out after 3yrs and I cannot wait to have it removed! I feel sick and panicky randomly every so often. The feeling is so bad I can't lay down to sleep, I've had random periods which can be severely painful. My implant runs out on the 14th of this month (Feb) I don't have an appointment till the 20th which is so annoying. I've put weight on and just feel horrid most the of the time. PLEASE READ THE SIDE AFFECTS BEFORE HAVING IT! I feel like I haven't been myself for 3yrs and can't wait to get back to me  
I feel how you feel, i have 3 small children, i shout and scream at them a lot for the smallest of things that are ridiculous but i can't help it, its mostly when i'm having what i call a hot flush, like women do in menapause and sometimes pregnancy. I feel like if i keep the implant in much longer like my children will end up hating me. I have no sex drive, i head headaches, backaches, cramping and bleeding EVERY day- i've had it in only 3 months and my doctors want me to give it a try with microgynyn, they beleive it will control the bleeding but have no idea if it will help the mood swings etc But its that that i'm most concerned about because its turning me into a monster!
OMG im so glad to hear im not the only person I don't get any sleep at night I have had it in for a little over a year and my life where I was such a happy good hearted person now I can't stand to be around no one. I have bad anxiety attacks really bad at night. Everything makes me stressed out and cry all the time or be angry. I told the doctor I wanted it out and they ask me why and I told them and they really tried telling me this Implanon had nothing to do with my attacks. i told them I was never like this even my own mother sees a difference I have dark circles around my eyes and I am 25 years old this thing should be put on black market for causing insanity cause it just gets worse as time goes on I am going to school for Psychology and I know this behavior is not right and I would not recommend this birth control to anyone!!!!!!!!!
I am at the end of my third year with the implanon and feel like at times I have practically lost my mind. I cussed my friend for calling me crazy. I have been trying to get him to understand that I wouldn't have normally did something like that to him. He might be fed up with me already and we have only been dating for a month. My family also sees a difference in me and say that I act mean and hateful. It's bad when you have to warn your family that you have p.m.s, so that they can steer clear of you. There was one time when I got upset and started crying and then laughing. These hormonal changes are driving my mind crazy. I get depressed at the insignificant things in life and find myself in tears wanting my friend or someone to console me. I even have had thoughts of suicide which is ridiculous.  I recently went for my yearly check-up. Told the Dr. I wanted it out because all of the mood swings. The Dr. said " is that the only reason?" He didn't care how I felt. His main concern was me not getting pregnant. I told him I would have to resort back to condoms or the pill. So, I will get to have it taken out in 3 months (YAYYYYY!!!!). These Dr.'s don't care about any of the emotional side-effects it causes. I guess it will take one of the women that is using it to commit suicide or kill someone then maybe the F.D.A will take a better look at this contraceptive.
Hey all,
i only got my iplanon put in less than two months ago, ive been taking levelyn along side to hopefully stop side effects of bleeding, so far no bleeding or anything, but my acne is ridiculous, worse than when i was in high school, and i went searching for information and found this site, im shocked!!!! I went away to Thailand 3 weeks ago and got really miserable and couldnt handle it so i came home early, starting to wonder if this implant had something to do with it..... reading so many comments across the net has scared me, i was gonna give it a couple of months but now im considering getting it out now before it gets worse. If this i a nation wide thing, Media should get onto this and expose it, us poor women have enough to go through.
Im 19 and Ive had the implanon for about 6 months and its driving me crazy. I get sharp uncomfortable pains in my arm. My periods have completely stopped but i get aweful stomach cramps which are 10 times worse than my periods used to be, and like others I feel like im pregnant but I know im not. Ive had bad break outs of spots on my back and chest and even on my face which is really annoying as ive never really had any spots before just the occasional ones. I get depressed about everything, im grumpy all the time and I just never feel like doing anything. I get grumpy with my bf and mum about everything...I dont know if its all down to the implant but ive only really noticed it since it. I dont really know what to do, I know i should keep the implant as I really dont want to get pregnant but i really dont want to, plus im scared to have it removed as it hurt so much having it put in :/
i cant believe how ****** bad this implanon is.(sorry for any swearing im sure u all understand) ive had it before for the 3 years my first year i was on depression pills and almost broke up with the love of my life. i wouldn't know what i would do with out him. i never really got my period maybe 2-3 times a year. which was the only good thing about this rod besides not falling pregnant. year 2-3 i got a lot better but still wasn't me i wasn't on depression pills any more still a bit snappy and cry on the occasional. But now im on my fist month of my second implanon i cry about nothing im snapping at my man again and im constantly apologising. i've also have once been addicted to drugs before (im not now) and i feel like i did when i was addicted extreme moody not wanting to go out or even get out of bed. im struggling at work real bad got the sweats like crazy and im forgetting everything i mean everything. and my memory isn't that good :-(  not ****** happy peoples i want this thing out my arm. i think doctors should warn women about the side affects someone is gonna really hert themself s. so anyone out there please tell everyone you know even though they might not even think about getting  implanon tell them. or it wont be a happy ending and ya probably wont be friends with them any more.good luck to u all xoxo  
I am so glad I found this site.

I am literally losing my mind.

I have had implanon for about 2 months. My moods are so up and down, I cry for no reason. I am constantly annoyed at my boyfriend, who never does a thing wrong, and who is the most amazing thing in the world. I'm 23 years old, and I just quit my job in a top accounting firm, that I worked so hard for, because I can't handle stress, which has never been an issue for me. My memory is shot. I am so agitated all the time. My hair is super dry, my normally flawless skin is breaking out.

I have lost all purpose. Before implanon, I was career driven, motivated, sporty, passionate about music. Now I don't exercise, rarely eat, have no energy. All I want to do is hide in my bedroom.

Lastly, I have no sex drive whatsoever. Before implanon, I couldn't get enough of my boyfriend. Now I cant stand being touched, or kissed. He thought I had lost interest/was going to leave him. But truthfully, he's the only thing keeping me sane.

Before reading this tonight, I knew something was up with me. I suspected maybe a quarter life crisis, or job stress. Now I am 100% sure its the implanon, and I am booking in tomorrow morning to get it out as soon as possible.
I'm also so glad to have found this site.   And the comment before me - yc368, I can relate so well to you. I'm also 23, I have a good job thats developing and giving me a chance to earn some money and I'm not coping - I just want to yell at everyone.   I have a lovely boyfriend who before this thing I thought the world of and now everything he does winds me up and I end up fighting with him (we'd never had a fight before this thing) I also have no sex drive and when he touches me I'm thinking how inconsiderate he is when I'm feeling this grumpy!!  But at the same time he is the only thing keeping me going.
I used to be so much fun and its changed me - I feel like I'm losing the plot, my hair is dry and dull my skin is bad and I can't stop eating (I've never been thin but I'm the heaviest I've ever been) I'm also spotting all the time so can't even have sex anyway!
The worst is the speed at which I can go from being normal to screaming, crying and being angry.   And the irrationality that has come with it.   I can tell I'm being irrational but I just don't care its my way or the highway.  
I want to keep my boyfriend I love him desperately (I'm now crying!) but I'm pushing him away.   I have been to the doctor to get the implant taken out and she said I can have it done but might want to wait another month (its only been two) but I've decided right now I need it out.   I'm absolutely petrified it'll come out and I'll be the same, has anyone had it out? have you gone back to being sane?!
Okay so I had wished I had found this before I got mine in, but to be honest I got mine out at the end of January this year and I was fine on it, it is now that I am off it that I am experiencing the mood swings, anxiety and everything that you girls are describing you had when you had it in. What the hell!!!!
Hi I am 16 years old. I had the Nexplanon Implant put in about a week ago. I used to take the Combined Pill Microgynon 30 but it made me feel awful and made my stomach upset and I got so paranoid about things it broke my relationship up numerous amounts of times. The Implant seems to be ok at the moment. I feel a little bloated and a bit sick, but can still eat. I haven't had a period yet, so I think it will stop my periods. I did two pregnancy tests today and both were negative, but i feel like i'm pregnant and i also get flatulence. Any advice?? Can the implant affect the results of a pregnancy test? xxx Please  any advice will be very much appreciated! xxx
I am happy i found this!!!!

This came on me just over a week ago and it was like a ton of bricks. Was crying uncontrollably i was having panic attacks to the point i was convinced it was a heart attack. I have an amazing Family/Boyfriend and i told them them straight away because i thought i was going crazy i felt like a millions miles away from the person i was and that i could never see myself being that person again which scared me as i have everything going for me as am only 19. I wasn't having suicidal thoughts but i kept thinking i cant live like this and i wanted to escape my thoughts i phoned my sexual health clinic and they removed it a week ago today, I couldn't eat without wreching The feeling was horrific. We processed and eliminated. It all kept coming back to the implant. Now a week later i don't feel a 100% ME again but i feel half way there it was like i couldn't look forward to anything or plan days out and stuff i just went with the flow am on no contraception until my body is a 100%. i went the doctor this week and they think am stressed so they have referred me for counseling but after explaining all the symptoms the GP was like that's worrying and made me feel 10x worse than i did and now i know am not the only one i fell a million times better! xx
Get it out immediately. The doctors are meant to inform you that if you're one of the 10% who bleed constantly after getting the implanon you must get it removed straight away. Don't mean to alarm you but you must get it taken out ASAP!
Hello everyone,
My name is Christie and have been on Implanon since April 2011. Since then I have become overtly emotional, needy, my mood swings are horrible, and I have nearly destroyed the best relationship I have ever had. I've become paranoid (something not like me at all) and took out a lot of negativity on my partner. While I tried to figure out what was so very wrong with me, I blamed him for how I was feeling, and now what was once the best thing in my life is hanging on by its fingernails. We are currently on a 'break' while I deal with this, as I didn't want to keep hurting him any more. I have admitted to myself that I am Depressed and doing that made me feel a million times better already. I'm hoping my man won't give up hope on us while I try to 'fix' myself. Step one: Get this damn thing out of my arm.
The reason I never could pinpoint the reason I turned into this needy, emotionally unstable ***** is because a few other things happened at the same time as it began.
Ladies, do NOT blame what you're feeling on stress, because we all have the power to pull ourselves back up from it. It is this THING in us, that reeks havoc with our bodies, hormones, and therefore minds.
Don't think about it, just get it out. I will get it out this week, whether I have to  force a doctor to do so, or do it myself. I will post my progress as time passes without it in me. I hope this was helpful, but more so
I hope I can find ME again, so I can be with HIM, and know that who I am is real again.
Be strong everyone,
-Christie
You fiance should be so glad to have you around. Most men would run a mile. This is a very difficult thing to understand. I had my implant taken out today after 2.5 years. Doctor didn't give a crap, she just said that she had been concerned that I may be making an irrational decision. And I'm like the fact that I feel like I am going to pop myself any day now is going to be made worse by taking the implant out how??!!** What an idiot.

My boyfriend hasn't even asked me how it went :-(

Everything has been so hard and I feel utterly hopeless.

Thank heavens for your blogs all of you! They've just tried to lace me with pills antidepressants.

No one understands fully, it's terrible. I am holding onto everything with piece of string. My relationship, friendships, job!

Will see how the next few weeks pan out now that this SH*T is out of my arm!

I am on my third implant!! I have had no sex drive really since I had the first implant in.  I just put it down to having a busy stressful life!  I lost a very close family member in 2010 and went onto ant depressants I now think that the implant made me feel like this.  I have been with my husband for 13 years and he really has put up with ALOT since I have had the implant!  I had my new one put in 2 weeks ago and I have never felt so fed up, panic attacks my heart is always racing and feels like it is fluttering!  I am so paranoid too I keep accusing my husband of all sorts. I have even accused him of seeing someone else, and question everywhere he goes, check his phone etc!!  He has been so supportive and all I seem to do is snap shout and take everything out on him.  I have a 5 yr old and even she has started snapping at everything as she has seen me do it to her dad!  We are having real behaviour problems with her that I feel is my fault!!   I am at uni as well as working full time so I just thought I was stressed and snappy because of this but I now feel like I can not cope anymore and am in such a mess.  I am going to call the drs on Monday to have it taken out.  Can u ring your local sex clinic will they take it out??
They should take it out at your request anyway. if you can you should go and see a councilor too. I had mine taken out 2weeks ago friday and i am starting to feel human again even tho i am suffering from terrible anxiety but you have to look on the positive side that its not going to last forever its just a blip! i have spoke to medical information and they said the side effects are not permanent.Good luck! x
Hello again everyone.
So last week I got my implanon out, after going on a break with my partner due to my mental issues. I.e Excessive mood swings, depression, neediness, paranoia etc.
I can now say I have only cried once since having it removed, and that was when I broke it off with my partner of 15months. I will admit some of the emotional trauma before getting the Implanon removed was due to him, but the rod and its effect on my hormones blew everything completely out of proportion. I feel much better now that I'm not 8 different people during the course of the day, and have taken back up several hobbies of mine that I haven't been in the mind frame to do in nearly a year (since the Implanon started affecting me) I am a much happier person in myself, though understandably upset about my ended relationship, but now I am optimistic about my future. I suggest if any of you are going through any rough patches in you relationships, and seem to be acting unlike yourself and over the top, to have the rod removed. You'll notice a difference within the first week that will blow you away.
Be strong everyone,
-Christie F
Of course having the implanon taken out is an option. I will warn you though, a lot of doctors are qualified to put the implant in, but not to remove it. Have them refer you to someone who is qualified to take it out, then say whatever you need to to them to get them to go through with it. A LOT of doctors won't take it out. But the simplest way to get what you want, is to say "My partner and I have talked long and hard and we want to have a child together". Just Lie. Works every time, as doctors cannot refuse to remove contraceptive medicines if the patient expresses a desire to fall pregnant.
Hope this helps,
Christie
I feel the exact way after I gave birth to my second child my Dr convinced me into getting it I've had it in 9 months now and I'm depressed ,always wanting to stay in bed ,no sex drive ,I get upset easily ,headaches all the time and discharge my Dr says its all normal how's that normal to be unhappy I'm hoping soon it can be removed
get it removed straight away am suffering from anxiety and am not an anxious person. i went to my GP and they have referred me for counseling. After reading all the bad news on the implant i regret ever getting it i don't feel myself at all and its not away to live i can tell you that and if the GP wont remove it go to a Sexual health clinic and get them to do it thats what i did and i do feel better and now things are being done i feel better. I was never told about these side affects and now knowing i would tell anyone not to get it and what more scarey you don't know how long the symptoms will last.Good luck though hun dont let a piece of plastic get you down. x
Wow - this is great! So glad ive googled this!
Im 25yrs old, im usually a happy bubbly chatty person and like meeting new ppl. Enjoy my job and I had a healthy appetite for sex with my new fiance.
I recently visited the doctor after experiencing the following sypmptoms :
Unusual Headaches, anxiety attacks (2 in 1 month), severe depression, low self esteem, nausea, severe mood swings and anger, hot flushes and loss of sex drive.
I was signed off work for the 1st time in my life. I was also prescribed prozac which i declined as i heard this can be worse for depression sometimes.
I had the implant fitted approx 6months ago and since having it have experienced the a fore mentioned side effects but didnt relate it to the implant until just recently. Im surprised i didnt get onto it until now.
Ive not been myself at all and even my fiance has noticed a change in my moods. Im constantly grumpy, angry and upset for no reason and go through phases of severe depression to the point where i cry for hours, i dont want to get out of bed, i have no desire to do anything and nothing interests me. I just hate life when i feel like that and ive only experienced this type of depression recently. You might think this is fair enough but when you add this to all the other abnormal circumstances its clear that this implant is the culprit!
I got so depressed one day that i tanned a bottle of wine, that didnt work so i resorted the Bible to try find peace that way. I read it for approx 2hours and by the time my fiance came home i was histerical, so much so that i was convinced i was possessed (i thought
Is was bcoz i read the bible whiles under the influence) i was literally on the floor rolling about like a 2yr old kicking and screamin like a looney!
The head aches and nausea are more recent as well and the fact that id had two major panic attacks in a month. Thats when i made the appt with the doctor. Now that i have seen all these threads on this forum about the implant its like im reading my own life. I feel ur pain and im going to make an appt to get it
Removed asap so i can get back to normality and feel like myself again. Sick n tired of feeling sick n tired lol
Yes I had (have the same issues), while on the implanon for three years I had horrible side effects, but never depression or anxiety.  Until I had it removed Nov 2010, by mid Dec 2010, that's when all hell broke loose.  I'm getting better, but still not 100% back to my old self.  Praying it happens soon, so sick of feeling like this, been a year and three months.
I had my implant taken out on the 12 March. I had been hoping that the changes would have taken place a lot sooner and that I would have felt better but it hasn’t (Not yet anyway). If, anything I am more annoyed because I haven’t seen any changes. I am working but think I need a break because getting into work and acting normal is so hard when all I want to do is stay in bed.

I’ve been in tears most of the time, my boyfriend saw me over the weekend and I had been a total mess. Crying profusely and knowingly without cause to do so.

My life is fine, I have a job, have been offered another job but can’t stop myself from feeling like a total waste of space. I too am suffering from panic attacks, depression, severe anxiety, to the point where I think I am mad and will end up being sectioned. I’ve been drinking and smoking huge amounts!  

I am lucky that there are a few people I can share this with but in the last few months I have ignored and probably lost quite a few good friends. But it’s been so hard just holding myself together; that I have just had to leave them to fall by the weigh side.

The doctor said that the hormones should be out of my system in a month and I am hoping that that is true.

I am thankfully for this blog and I hope that I can share my experiences about how quickly I can recover from the detriment of the implant.

Here’s hoping it is soon. And for anyone that is feeling suicidal, please hold on, don’t do it, just get the implant removed and do whatever you need to in order to get better.

Take a break
Go on holiday
Speak to someone
Get signed of work until you feel better
Talk a walk in the park
Get a massage

Will blog back in a week’s time x
Same Hun and the scary thought is you still don't feel yourself am going to counseling and spending a lot of time with my friends and family all of a sudden its like life just became really serious the fear of dying is terrifying me and am not this type of person and  worse than ever i don't think i was myself on the implant at all and not looking back i regret ever getting it right now i feel like its ruined my life. BUT i know am a strong person and i will get threw it I keep telling myself in the mirror... YOU WILL DEFEAT THIS!  The Anxiety plays on sub conscious fears that you didn't even know about and it does go away and until you have your next period you wont know how slow your body will react to it so.

Take time out for you paint your nails have a bath and listen to music find your way to relax and it should help keep me posted on how your feeling,,.

Good luck, we can all do it just takes time x
Hello all,

I'm trying so hard to look for answers but I cant find any and I wondered if anyone could help me? I had the implant put in August last year and its given me lots of already mentioned side effects so I'm going to have it taken out. My question is, you know how the implant mimics a lot of pregnancy symptoms? Well could the 'big nose' be one of them? Only a couple of months after having it put in I started to get a swollen nose and now its bigger and wider which I know can happen during pregnancy. Has anyone got this or heard of it?
This site has helped me so much! i was just wondering if anyone had problems with implanon and drinking alcohol as i have, have mood swings insecurity issues and depression since getting it in 5 months ago! But when i am drinking i turn extremely nasty and depressed and most recent violent towards my boyfriend.

I know my body well and haven't felt like myself since having it in, this most recent act has really convinced me its the Implanon.

so, has anyone else had issues with alcohol and Implanon
Hey yall.  I can not tell you how relieved I am to have found this forum.  I had my Implanon put in October 2011.  The day I had it put in I completely blacked out while trying to pay before leaving.  Then for the next month I though I was going to tear my are off it hurt so bad.  I should have known then that my body was rejecting it.  Then the anxiety attacks started.  They would come at night and out of the blue.  I had the worst one ever two weeks ago and since then the anxiety will not leave.  I have horrible thoughts and am having to take a mild anti-anxiety medicine every five hours to keep me from losing it. I have never had any problem with anxiety of depression until after the implanon.   Also, used to I could set my watch my my periods.  Now I have no idea when Im going to bleed or how much and when I do its a very dark brown.  And I didnt think about this until I read it on here, but my hair used to could do no wrong.  Over the past three months, my hair no matter what I do to it, is just awful.  These side effects do not bother me like the psychological stuff does.  And what makes it worse, is the devil has now seen a weakness and is playing on it.  I am having this think taken out tomorrow and I am letting my doctor know what I think about it and that they should better inform people that are considering it as a birth control method.  I know that I am not losing my mind and it can all be traced back to when I got the Implanon.  Im sure it works for some people, but the side effects of  this thing are very real and it feels good to know I am not alone, I am not crazy, and that this can be fixed.  I am going to come back toward the end of the week and post how I am feeling...Hope this helps someone like the other posts helped me!
I am so glad i found this site, I've only had my implant in for 2-3 months, I have been having terrible mood swings and I just cant explain whats wrong with me, I'm snapping at my partner and son for really stupid things and then it takes me a day to get over it, I spent my whole birthday night out crying, I feel tired all the time and generally can be up one minute and down the next, its only just occured to me today that it could be side effects of my implant, I'm not saying I was perfect before I can be a bit grumpy like anyone but this is reducilus I know I'm being horrible and I just cant stop myself and then I feel so guilty afterwards and that dipresses me even more, Im making an appointment tomorrow to get this thing out!!! Thank you everyone for posting xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
UPDATE!!!
(Removed in November)

It's been about 4 months since I have had the Implanon removed! Thank goodness! For a little while, I was on Xanax and Prozac (Fluoxetine) but I have quit it! I am now back to going out and having fun whenever I want! The anxiety from the Implanon had triggered my IBS and now I have to deal with that, but I take Citrucel and stay away from my triggers, and I am fine!

If you are having any anxiety, panic attacks, depression, ANYTHING and you have Implanon, TAKE IT OUT ASAP! Tell everyone you know!!!
If I could go back in time and stop myself from getting it I would.
It feels so good to be back to pretty much normal!
ALSO!!!

Since the removal, I have had two scares!
Twice, I have become extremely dizzy and collapsed. Both times, it started while on the toilet. Not sure if this has to do with Implanon, but if you get put on anxiety meds because of the anxiety caused by Implanon, then be CAREFUL! Especially if you have IBS.
hey Girlsss!!!!! Been back to my GP and i have a hormone imbalance triggered by the Implanon can take up to 3months to completely subside but hang in mines been out a month and i feel great still a bit confused about things but i will get there. They still want me to have the counseling which i am agreeing with so hopefully i can come back in another months time and I AM BACK!! Girls YOU all KNOW your bodies and when somethings wrong you do something and We all have soo good luck x x
Can i ask what your symptoms were? x
hey girls i feel the same im sooo depressed and am having panic attacks like everyday  and i was on the implanon for 2 years and just got it removed..i hope i feel better never have i ever thought of killing myself i need people dealing with the same thing i have cause everyone here dosnt seem to understand
yay
I'm so glad i've come across the site, i've being thinking for a while whether my implanon was to blame for my mood. I'm on my second implanon, due out next march, and didn't really seem to have much of a problem with my first implanon up until about 18 months of having it when i started bleeding everyday, so had it changed early, which kind of helped. But the past 6-12months i've felt crap about myself, being mean to my lovely boyfriend for no reason, nasty after having a drink and easily agigated by the smallest thing. i thought it was just me!! My only question is to those who have had it removed what contraceptive have you chosen? I'm worried about getting it removed as its a reliable contraceptive and would like something just as reliable but without the mood, any suggestions please??
I feel the same way about my boyfriend. I caint stand when he touches me, or does anything else, and i feel bad about that cause i dont want him to think i dont love thim.
I knew the implant came with the side effect of mood swings and feeling emotional but i never thought it would be this bad.. I actually feel like i'm going crazy and I don't know how people put up with me..i can be fine one minute and the next I'll be crying, angry, shouting and not a nice person to be around..i find it hard to think positive about anything and just have this real anti social feeling about me, it's horrible!
I get easily annoyed and I'm constantly paranoid and horrible to my bf, i feel terrible but at the time i can't control it, it's so random..
I really want it out, i never expected it to affect my life this bad, any slightly challenging situation feels like an almost impossible task for me, I can't stand it anymore! I've lost all my confidence and feel vile most of the time. I could write about how bad this thing is forever!
I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone, it really changes you as a person! I never used to be paranoid, constantly emotional, angry to the point of throwing stuff around....i actually can't believe how bad this thing affects girls/women! i feel like i want to cry all the time anyway, but knowing that it's the implant annoys and upsets me even more! Nobody get it, it's seriously not worth it :'''(  
I'm 22 have had my implant since i was 17 i always thought it worked but since reading sights (due to being worried as have been on my period for a month now) all the side effects add up. since having it i started to grow hairs on my chin, now i have to go to electrolosys every week which is costing me a fortune. I hardly have any energy, i use to be outgoing then changed and find any excuse to stay in. I cry a lot for no reason and get stressed out when it's only a minor problem. I just assumed it was me. I will be getting it take out. Now i just have to live with the hair growth. Doctors should point all these things out as they dont state that most women will get half of these side effects!
I have been on birth control since I was 18. I have switched from the pill, to the nuvaring, depo, to the implanon. The reason I chose the implanon was because I no longer have periods or headaches/migraines. I didn't realize I was actually suffering from side effects from the implanon until it wore out after the 3 years was up. I got it removed over 6 months it was suppose to. So I was having my periods again. I got into a new relationship while this implanon was worn off. I felt more attracted to him than anyone I ever have before. I felt like it was something I never felt before. I needed to get back on the implanon (get the old one out and new one inserted in) if I was going to be sexually active. It was almost immediately like a switch was turned off in my body. I no longer felt the same sensations just from his touch. I became cranky towards him and I don't want him to even tough me, but he is absolutely wonderful. I want to make him happy but have no desire for sex. I never realized how out of whack my sex drive has been previously since it has been so long since I have gone without birth control. Being a grad student that studies neuroscience, hormones have a lot to do with your neurotransmitters in your body that allow you have those attractions to someone. Having birth control is just not natural on anyone's body. The key is to find which one you can tolerate or which one works best for you. I feel like having this implanon is not worth it. There is no point of me even being on birth control if I don't want to even have sex. I am just pushing my boyfriend away and I get extremely irritated very easily. Of course, I am not ready for a baby so I will either have to try all the other birth control methods again (which I stopped the pill when I was 18 because I couldn't remember it, now that I am 26 and older and more mature, I should be able to remind myself). There needs to be more research on what this does to attraction. I have also read in articles that someone who met their significant other on birth control and then they go off of it, they no longer are attracted to them. This is the different phermones and hormones working and switching higher and lower. That is why they say to make sure you can handle your other significant other on and off of birth control before you get married or take it into consideration. Estrogen is what creates a sex drive and with the implanon, this is greatly lowered. All birth controls have different ratios of different hormones, so others are going to work differently than others. As I was just doing some more digging, I also found a video of a girl who developed air pockets in her breast that were painful, which are non-cancerous but bothersome. This has also happened to me in my right breast. I have also read countless stories of this birth control method working for others, so everyone's body works differently. Again, I thought it was working for me, but really it is not.
I meant to say testosterone is what allows us to have a sex drive instead of estrogen.
Hi Everyone,
So it’s been officially one month since I have had my implant out and ……………….it’s not been all bad. For those of you who want to know how I feel, honestly – I still don’t feel like myself.  The last 3 weeks have been manageable but this week has  been a bit of struggle. I’ve still had major anxiety issues,  feeling of hopelessness and deflation. Sex drive has been a little better but I am still investigating the most suitable contraceptive option. Trust me, it’s not easy. I would hate for something to trigger me back to where I was in December – January 2012 AWFUL!

So, in conclusion, I OBVIOUSLY  stand by taking it out but am just sad I am not me yet.  I want my life back! I haven’t been truly excited about anything in a while. It’s more a case of knowing that I should be happy or knowing that in a normal situation I would be happy.

I am still avoiding contact with large groups of people but am also trying to rebuild my confidence in that area.

Ladies, please post back especially if you have had your implant taken out. I am worried whether we will ever truly be our old selves. I have been struggling with the effects more so and consistently for the last 6 months.

Will post again in 4 weeks.

Until next time.

My prophecy
How long was it before you started feeling like yourself?
OMG so glad its not just me, I  have always coped quite well with obstical's in my life but since having the implanon It in Im crying at the drop of a hat i feel depressed when there is no reason to be, i am getting more short tempered, and im quite a patient person, when i have these days of depression i feel like nothing can bring me out of it not even my boyfriend although my will power is strong and i try my hardest to force negative thoughts out but i to have had thoughts of ways out, which scare me, i have 2 young boys who depend on me and i love them to bits, i have just rang my local dr and am going to do what ever it takes to get it out today. I WANT SMILING HAPPY CONFIDENT ME BACK.
had it taken out today as i said, they numbed the area so it wouldn't hurt then made a small cut and pulled it out, i will never again do this, i will never recommend it, my sad depressed state could very well have ruined my relationship, even i have tried so hard to hide it, i hope these depressed feelings don't last long, I'm so mentally drained by all this.
Hi ladies,

I have just taken out my implant after having it for 2 1/2 years. If I knew how it would effect my life I wouldn't have gone through with it!
I was one month away from my 18th birthday when I had it done I'm now 20, and I now realise that no woman should play with their hormones especially if your in your teens. I have extreme mood swings. One day I can be happy, 2 days later I can be depressed. I have bad anxiety attacks and a lack of apatite. Recently I have been having random thoughts about me and my partner, one moment I want him, next moment I don't or at times I really want him and a baby. Which is truly ridiculous. I can't stand the extremes. When you know you want something and have no reason to act in a strange manner it gets depressing, as you know your not your usual self. I want to feel normal again...
Now I have taken the implant out, I was wondering how long it can possibly take up to, to feel your 'Normal' self? If anyone is able to answer please do, I'd appreciate it very much.
Thank you to all the women that have commented on this website, it's so helpful.
God Bless
Hi ladies,

God Bless
Hello ladies, I have has my implant for about 2 years now, im not sure whether it could be the implant but i have had anxiety for 6 months now and i hate leaving the house because i feel like im going to vomit or faint, its being removed in 2 weeks so im hoping it is the cause and i can go back to the way I was! wish me luck :)
UPDATE!!!

Hi ladies,
I had my implant taken out a week ago, in the uk it's free to have your implant taken out. I must admit I was very scared about taking it out but it all went smoothly. The nurse numbed my arm within 7mins the area where my implant was in was numb. It took about 8mins for the nurse to fully take it out and it I could only ever so slightly feel her removing it. After that my was a tad sore but in general its bees fine.
The first two days I generally felt happier but I believe this was due to the fact I had actually taken it out after 2.6 years of utter crap emotions in my life. The relief of knowing I'm changing my life must of made me happy. Over the next few days during this week has been horrible. Been very nervous and anxious in the early morning. Yesterday I didn't go to work due to feeling to anxious. Today I woke up feeling the same. However during the day my mood does pick up, thanks to family. I miss my boyfriend too. I have to say ladies there's not been a load of improvement, but we must understand that our hormones will take a while to get back to it's normal self. I won't lie and say I'm not worried that I won't return to my normal self, but it comes down to thinking reasonably. I will be updating on here in a few weeks.
Anyone suffering from any form of side effect from the implant should take it out straight away. Do not listen to doctors when they say 'give it a little while longer' it's one of the worst advice I have ever had in my life! I wish when I had the implant in for the first 6 months and saw it didn't agree with my body I took it out... Instead I listened to doctors and for 2.6 years of my life have been up and down like a rollercoaster.
I'm hoping all goes smoothly ladies
God bless xx
OK, so my best friend (also house mate) has recently started Implanon, a form of birth control placed under the skin in her arm. Before she started this birth control, she was friendly and courteous, always smiling and laughing. Since she started Implanon she has had the WORST mood swings. She is continually grumpy and mean. She is always stomping around the house and to avoid her, her mother and I have taken to hiding in our rooms and tip toeing around her. I have tried to point out she has been in a very mean mood, but all that came of that was a lot of yelling and the cold shoulder.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this sort of behavior?? All I can think of is yanking that damn thing out of her arm. PLEASE. She Is over emotional and I don't want to loose my best friend....
I'm having the same kind of issues where I feel constantly down and isolated. Was diagnosed with stress related depression last week but I've arranged to get my implant removed this week to see if it makes a difference.
I had the implant fitted last january and at first i was very emotional but nothing too scary. however since october of last year it has gotten worse. This coincided with moving cities with work and setting up a new office so I put it down to the stress of that and building a new team.
However outside of work I have started drinking heavily and generally lost the usual passion for things I enjoy doing. I have started cancelling plans with friends and prefer my own company - despite the fact that I feel like I have no friends! I'm at total odds with myself so really hoping this will help me.
Reading through the other comments has really spurred me on and I hope there will be a difference soon.

Will keep you posted!
Well this sight has really giving me some answers, I had a great happy life, started to build a life with my partner and we decided for our plans to be a reality we should get some advice on the best contraception, the doctor recommended the implant which we thought sounded great and reassuring. Weeks after having the implant I started getting, mood swings which leaded to me being paranoid, depressed, angry for no reason and know I carnt control anything, I'm always lashing out being aggressive and pushing my partener away, I feel I don't have hardly any life as I'm always upset and wanting to be alone, the worst thing is I've been thinking suicidal thoughts and planning how to do it, I ask myself why am I thinking this? My Anser is I don't know! I don't have an Anser to anything I'm feeling and why I'm hurting so much I've never felt so depressed. I thought I was going crazy! It carnt be healthy, I just want my life back where I new I had a reason to live. I love my fiancé dearly but I carnt help but be angry with him. I feel like I'm in a dark whole and I'm screaming for help but nobody answers me back, I just want to see the light again
As a bit of an update...had the impant removed 10 days ago and I won't lie - the first week was hell and I feared that I was actually having an emotional breakdown. Thankfully since this weekend I feel a weight has been lifted and I can see that it is getting better.
I took today off work as holiday and spent the day looking after myself and watching films. A few weeks ago it would have put me in a bit of a hole but today I feel relaxed and very calm.

I'm still left with questions about why the hell Implanon is still being used. But I'm thankful for groups like this that made me feel that I am not alone in this
Hi! I got the implant in about 6 wks after having my first child. I had it removed after about 7 months as it felt like I was a total different person. I was constanly moody and would cry all the the time for no reason. I was tired all the time, had constant miagraines. Lost my libido n motiavation for anything. Its now been about a yr since Ive had it out n I still feel like that. Now im starting to think im either depressed which is abnormal for me as im always happy person. Or this silly implant has done something to me lol. Does anyone else still have symptions after having implant removed for so long? Any feed back will be most appreciated. Thanks
Hiya can the implant make you feel sick but not actually being sick
Hiya, I got the implant put in when I was 19 after being taken of the pill as I had experienced a migraine.

In the past 3 years I have developed depression and severe anxiety. I had originally put this down to changes in my life and stresses with boyfriends/family/University however overall I was not faced with ay particular problems that I should have found especially demanding. From reading the posts on this forum I absolutely believe what I am experiencing is side effects that have manifested in response to the implant. It feels as if I have had a complete personality change and am no longer myself. I always thought it a blessing that my periods had stopped for 3 years and 2 months ago I had a new implant put in. However since then I have made the link between the implant and my symptoms and tomorrow I am getting it removed. My depressive and anxious symptoms have reached the point where getting through each day is really hard. From seeing this forum some of the symptoms described match mine eerily well, I have anxiety about everything to the point where it is constant and random and very hard to handle. I also have quick and uncontrollable anger at others, and I feel extremely detached from reality at times and this is the most distressing part. My self esteem has plummeted and though I feel that the removal of the implant will not automatically mean I will get better straight away I think it is a highly positive step. To my dismay I have stopped drinking caffeine and cut out smoking and I am taking medication for my anxiety and attending counselling sessions. I am currently in the middle of my final year exams at university and will be travelling for several months after and I very much hope that that point I will be better but will most likely be on antidepressants alongside the propanolol that I am taking now.

I get the impression that any form of mild depression or anxiety is wildly exacerbated by the presence of the implant, and very heavy drinking (as I have also done for the past 3 years, as well as drug taking) was not helpful to my symptoms. I will post back when I begin to feel positive changes from the removal of the implant and hopefully it will be soon. x

************************************************************************************************************************************my names Hannah I thought I would write on one of these forum things, as it was me reading messages from other people on these to reassure me that I wasn't going mad/ depressed. 
My body doesn't seem to deal well with hormones... At first I had the injection which was okay for two months and in the last I suddenly turned into a monster... (just ask my mum or my boyfriend!) I moved onto the implant, not knowing much about it I just thought from hearing the 'most effectiveness' and 'stays in for 3 years' it was the best idea ever! 
However when i went onto the implant I fell so down all the time (for no reason, nothing else was going on in my life at the time), I used to hate talking to anyone in my family (and normally we never fight I have such good relationships with my mum and dad), I felt as though I needed my boyfriend all the time and used to burst into tears as soon as one of us had to leave to go home, but then feel so guilty that I was making him like look after me. In the end I realized I was just crying because I was so upset all the time and you couldn't get out of the hole you were in. And I couldn't control it either.
 I was so confused & everyone around me was saying that I was never happy anymore and my parents were so worried about me. 
Eventually, my best mate and I fell out about it after she said it was too hard to be around me constantly like this. So it snapped that it wasn't fair on anyone else and I had to do something about it. At the time I didn't know what was making me like this so I looked at forums and many girls were saying the same thing. So I got my implant taken out and it was the best thing I have ever done. I am literally like a different person now. Back to my old self again. 

I would strongly recommend to anyone that is feeling emotional or 'not themselves' to take the first step in getting the implant removed. I definitely think it can cause so many problems so if you feel anything like I've explained up there then I would! 
Hope this helps anyone out! Feel free to message me 

Hannah x
This website has saved my life!!!!!!

I've had the implant for about 6-8months now and I've never experienced anything like this, I get headaches, backache, also pains in my left arm. I'm really not happy with this contraceptive at all!!!! It's made me soooo moody and agressive it's unreal!! I am constantly snapping at my boyfriend for no reason at all!! He is the most amazing lad ever and treats me like a princess and I'm a horrible ***** to him, and i wernt before I got the implant! I constantly cry about nothing at all, my emotions are always all over the place and the stress is just to much to deal with! I'm 17 years old and I really regreat not reasearching the implant up before getting it cause it's caused so much **** it's unreal I've left home, I've nearly broke up with my boyfriend and we been together I've a year and he is the love of my life:( I actually wouldn't be no where without him! I just feel like a cant be arsed doin anything everyday I don't want to get out of bed, I've become very unsociable and never go out! Only to the boyf's! My sex drive ain't how it used to be but it's not to the point where I don't want to be touched(YET) The worst thing about it is I've been feeling very very depressed to the point where I wanted to jump in front of a train:( I'm normally a loud, bubbly, always happy,confident person and now it's like i don't know who I am anymore I HATE THE IMPLANT!!!!! I just wish that the doctors would of warned me of the side effects that it causes because it has wrecked my life big time:( never want to feel like this again need help big time, I just want to be my old self again happy and not always miserable, sad and crying every second of everyday!!! Never believe what the doctors tell you they are all lying bastards!!!! Sorry for my swearing just so angry at how it's made me a complete different person:(

Thank god I'm getting it out this Saturday cos I just can't cope no more! Can't wait to feel me again:(

I WOULDNT RECOMMEND THE IMPLANT TO ANYONE!!!!!!! Thanks for making me feel like I wasn't the only one so relieved honestly thought I was goin loopy:(

Please reply if you have any questions or want to ask me anything:) want to make as many girls aware of how bad this is so they don't make the wrong choice:) xxxxxxxxx
Wow! I am so glad I am not the only one. I don't normally access websites like this. Studying nursing, they constantly drum it into you not to believe these things, but it's pretty hard not to when there is so many people experiencing exactly the same thing. Reading everyone's comments has been like watching my life for the past 4 months in words.

I too have been so emotionally unstable that I haven't felt myself at all. I've wanted to drop out of my University degree a million times, I'm never happy and I constantly get angry at my partner for no apparent reason.

I had the implanon put in because I was having ridiculous headaches from the pill and also wanted something that I didn't have to worry about. Ha, what a joke. My headaches have been worse than ever, to the point where I experience one almost everyday. And sure I don't have to worry about it and remember to take a pill, but instead I am just constantly worried about nothing, I cry every day over nothing and just can't find a way to get out of the dumps.

I've been telling myself that it wasn't the result of this implanon and that Nursing was just too stressful, but I now know that that is not the case at all and that I need to get this thing out of my arm ASAP.

At this point in time, I would rather have given birth to 2993589789636876 children than use this form on contraception ever again!
My symptoms included anxiety, depression, diarrhea, and constant bleeding.
I cannot tell you how relieved I am to have found this forum! I have had the implanon implant for just under 2 years now and have grown so used to my symptoms I'd almost forgotten they were there.
I have gained 10lbs, I have no energy no matter how much sleep I get, I have the most intense mood swings, absurd things make me feel emotional, I can't take any criticism and I am constantly feeling angry with my boyfriend and have even stopped talking to many of my friends just because I dont feel like it. My periods last for months on end and I feel so angry most of the time that I have to do my best not to explode at people.
Before the implanon I was an energetic and motivated person who loved going out and had loads of friends. I cannot wait to get rid of this life destroying thing!!!!
hi i have had the implant only a week and am starting to feel sick and dizzy it feels like i might be pregnant do you think i should have it taken out now just in case this is signs of things to come, i so wish i had found this forum before i had it in no way i would have done it, just feel like i wont to sleep for a week please help is it just me or do you think its the implant thanks. vick  
   i am into my leave my man alone kit/dual casting with Dr.Gboco.  ***@****  and today he emailed me out of the blue. this is on the 5th day of the 1st spell and he is already contacting me. wow, i was starting to think i was beating a dead horse since i have heard from him in 1 month. thank you so much, i can not wait to start the love me again dual casting. the incense and oil smell very good. thank you for helping me. i am going to recommend your service to my friends. thank you again and thank you papa Dr.Gboco...

i am into my leave my man alone kit/dual casting with Dr.Gboco.  gbocotemple@yahoo. com  and today he emailed me out of the blue. this is on the 5th day of the 1st spell and he is already contacting me. wow, i was starting to think i was beating a dead horse since i have heard from him in 1 month. thank you so much, i can not wait to start the love me again dual casting. the incense and oil smell very good. thank you for helping me. i am going to recommend your service to my friends. thank you again and thank you papa Dr.Gboco...
Hi there. I had the implant fitted 2 years ago following a termination and was advised that this would be the best form for me. The first year was ok, minimal bleeding but still aware of menstral stress, cramps and of course the ability to cry at everything. However the past 6 months I ha been suffering with extreme panic attacks at night, fast heart rate and then I lie awake scared to sleep. I feel very depressed and paranoid to the point I can just sit and cry and punish myself. It's affected my work as I am automatically assuming people are talking about me, judging me etc.  I have good and bad days with it and it seems to mimic the cycle. Sex life has just totally disappeared too and I really can't be bothered with my partner. I have arranged to have this removed as I just want to feel me again. I used to be so bubbly and happy but right now feel like everyone is against me and judging me. Believe m I thought I was alone but I guess this is normal for this contraceptive. Can't wit to feel like me agin x
i had the implant put in over 3 years ago, it has now ran out and i have it taken out next week, i was told that it had no side effects! but iv had nothing but problems with the thing! i constantly feel stressed, very anxious, moody,headaches, paranoid and it wasnt till i came accros this forum and read that others are going through the same thing that i realsied its the implant making me feel this way :(i find the slightest thing my children do annoys me and i end up shouting at them, i feel like i cant control it and i think to myself that this isnt me :( and i feel like i cant get enough sleep! and for the past 3 years iv done nothing but constantly bleed, this has put strain on my sex life and leaves my husband very frustrated when i say i cant do anything because ''im bleeding again'' also i found when we did manage to have sex it was painful! and after i have intercourse i start to bleed again. i had to have an internal examination and the doctor said the implant was causing my cervix to swell and this was the reason for the pain during intercourse. my advise to others would be NOT to have the implant and consider another form of contraception.
I've had the implant in my arm for just over a year.
My mood swings are awful, I bite and snap for no reason. I have a lovely partner and I keep pushing him away, I don't mean to do it but my moods are just up and down and so out of control.
I feel depressed, emotional, short tempered and bleeding constantly.
I could wake up in a fantastic mood and then the slightest thing will change me. I seem to be pushing the people I love and care about away.
I cry over the slightest thing and suffer with extreme headaches and tiredness. I'm even paranoid and worry over everything.
I can't wait to have this taken out, appointment already made. I don't feel like myself and don't even laugh much anymore. Before having this implant please do all your research and see if it's right for you. Not everyone is the same but it's changed me totally.
i have had the implant for a bit over a year, and i really want it out, i have become a horrible person, im anxious, angry, very impatient, i have a very good supportive boyfriend, we are fighting everyday at the moment, the smallest thing will frustrate me or make me angry. i feel so lazy, never want to do anyhing, cry so easily. will i be better when i get the implanin out?
I'm 16 I've been on implanon for 7 months now, the first 2 months were okay, I got my first period on the b/c and it was a Regular period then I started spotting and having a dark color bleeding, I've maybe only had 4 periods since I've been on this, within my 3rd month I started feeling weird, I had bad moods, every little thing pissed me off, then December/January two people I knew got killed at different times, I started having scary thoughts and bad panic attacks, I didn't know why and I would randomly break down, one day at school I broke down and was crying so much I couldn't breathe I just wanted to know what was wrong with me and why it wouldn't stop. I had to go talk to the guidance councilor and she had my mom come get me, I called my gyno dr who put me on the implanon and made an apt to come see her,
She sent me to and councilor and thought I was just stressed from the people I knew getting killed and my friends and I drifting apart , which now I think is all because of my implanon. Counciling helped some then I stopped going cause I hadn't had an attack in a while, well they've started again so I went back to my gyno and she said my only other option is to have it taken out, well as far as a b/c it's great. I can't stomach any b/c pills and the shot made me bleed everyday for 3 months, I thought I finally found a b/c that works with my body but I  guess I was wrong. My boyfriend of 10 months has noticed a change in my moods because usually my anger gets taken out on him or my parents. If I don't get my way I get all pissy but I can't help it, I don't want to be rude to him or lose him because of this b/c. I really don't know what else to do as far as finding a new b/c because I've tried everything I may just go back to the nuva ring. The only reason I'm on here writing tonigh is because I had an panic attack and I can't sleep, I was fine earlier today I'm not sure what triggered it but I started feeling nervous and scared like I was going to lose everyone and everything, so I will probably be scheduling a removal date with my doctor soon.
I am also 19 and i had mine for 7 months and just got it taken out today
it was making me insane
i thought it was just me.... but i honestly dont think it is.
i got pimples on my back chest and face
hated every boy i got feelings for
broke up with my ex
fight with friends etc
hated all the small things in life
couldnt be bothered doing anything
honestly
get it out!!!!!
im back on the pill. so so happy.

anddd didnt hurt at all :)
i was the same, got it taken out, best thing ever!
I am SOO glad i found this site, im 18 years old and i am literally loosing my mind i cant stand being around people without feeling weird and anxious i've been depressed crying over the stupidest little things I got kicked out of my house for yelling and arguing like crazy, I though i was going mad but it turns out that is this little toothpick that gots me going mad. This should be placed in black market i do NOT recommend this contraceptieve to anyone who is reading this, try the diu or something else not the implanon. I will get this removed tomorrow, good luck, cheers xo
Hi! Im 19 years old and still in the first year of having the implanon, I cant believe i havent seen this before! Im having massive panic attacks latley! I thought it had been just myself, hadnt thought it could be the implant but now thinking about it I only got the panic attacks after I got this silly implant in!
Its driving me mad and its also a little annoying as my friend also has it but she has none of the problems, seems like iv got most of them.
Iv also been feeling sick (VERY weak stomach now) :(
The only good thing is I dont have my monthlys anymore but went through months abd months of constant bleeding for it.
Think im going to have it out! Im constantly bloated and get werido mood swings! I dont likkkeeee itttt! But terrifed now of having it out!
Thanks everyone!
Jess
I am going through the same thing. I have anxiety and nervousness so bad that I have not drove a car in months. I've had my implant for 2 yrs this month. MY doctor told me it was not the implant and advised me to keep it in. Thanks to my grandma for being a nurse she told me NO, push it. I had to pay $300 to get it removed but unfortunately they can't find it so i'm waiting on them to call me with the next step bc I went to the hospital and their ultrasound machine couldn't even find it. I am really frustrated right now and it bothers me that I can't go and do things with my daughter anymore.
my daughter had the implement in just under 7 months ,i am now and have been for months fighting to have it removed ,i seem to be the only sain one who sees that her symptoms started when she got it in.majore mood swings,panic attacks ,no energy ,emotional crying epersodes over the smallest things,it has her in a state of depresion.i have read nealy all the stories above and see a lot of family and boyfreind breakups this is were she is today.but instead of doctors looking at the implement they sent here to counciling put her on anti depressents and now 4 the second time tryed her hand at pill overdose were she will now be sent to a syco home for assesment i have no say in anything she does as she will not let me in she thinks im the enemei ,i had a very close and loveing relation ship with my daughter and now seems 1 rod can take that away it was my daughters birthday yesterday and she spent that in a hostpital .i only hope mothers farthers and you kids getting these put in ,take something away from reading this so it wont affect you and your freinds family partners like it has us ,and yes i will still keep up the fight to have it removed as she has lost so much but to have it removed she will be the nice young girl we all love so much.
I understand exactly how you feel. I cry just because i cant control my outbursts towards my family. I'm seeking to get it removed. I have never had issues like this. It has completely changed my personality. Best of luck to you :o) I have given  this implant a year and a half of my life and honestly can't give away anymore of me. Best Wishes :o)
heya, i had the implant put in about 2 weeks ago, and iv been a head case ever since (moody needy crying) so iv decided that waiting it out and ruining a holiday of a life time and my relationship is NOT worth it, so im getting it out next week, how long did it take for you to feel normal again?
so glad i found this page,
i had the implant put in about 2 weeks ago, and iv been a head case ever since, no symptoms other than feeling very sensitive, angry, tearfull and starting what i think are justified arguements with anyone close to me. the doctors said my mood could settle after 3 months, but i dont think a personality change is worth it, even for a few months. so im booked to have it removed, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if your moods go back to normal strait away?
Hi Everyone,
Its been a while. I hope your all doing better since finding out the perils of the implant.

As you may know I took mine out in March of this year. The changed had been slow at first but eventually (say by June) I felt better. Even great I would say! Because I know what I have been through and I can share your pain. Knowing me and being me again, so appreciative of myself!

Make sure you take care of yourselves, trust, know that it will and does get better, easier.

I took a holiday which helped a great deal, if you can afford it, do it. Hell even if you can't do it because its worth it and it makes all the difference. Even if you can't afford it borrow the money! Seriously!

I am thankful to all of you for all your comments and stories. If it hadn't been for this site and all of you this situation could of spiralled out of control.

However my quest continues to find a birth control method that works with my body. And that's a whole other story.

Have faith, trust and know that you will come out of this and be ok.

Love, peace, and the most high be with you.

hi all just an update to my daughters problem, 1 more attemped on her life this time walking in front of her ex boyfreinds car ,she got so drunk and on medacation for depression she felt she needed to do this,thankfully she was not halmed ,2 days ago i took her to a new doctor who told her she should remove it so after all this she finnaly removed it and guess what i now have my little girl back its almost hard to belive that such a small thing could do so much dammage if i go back and look at what she lost eg:friends,family members ,job,relation ship,if your a parrant in this or even the person with it in your arm and you wont listen to others advise please read  this and other girls comments that they have left  you have nothing to loose by removing it to at least elimmante it as being the source of the problem,now we will wait a while and go into damage controle and try and get back all of what she lost but belive me that itself will be no easy task as some people refuse to belive that it could do such things i wish all of you with the same problem the best of luck and i hope you have someone who will stick buy you ,my daughter has said she will right her story in her own words and post it soon  regards brett
Hi this forum has made me feel a million times better!!! honestly thought i was loosing my mind. I had the implanon in for 2 years and 10 months and had no issues with it apart from weight gain, i then had another impant put in in november 2010 and thought i would have an easy time like i did with the first one, how wrong can you be!!
me and my partner moved over to australia from the UK in january 2011 and ever since that day i have been an emotional wreck!! i just put it down to me being away from family and friends and being homesick but reading this forum this THING in my arm has just made things 100times worse!!! i cry randomly, snap at anyone and everyone and how my boyfriend is still with me is beyond me!! i used to be happy, and have a sense of humour but now i am a completley different person, even to the point of going on a night out with friends i wont go because i get so worked up beforehand and anxious i just dont bother!! i used to be out 2-3 times a week and loved life!!!
I have an appointment booked today to get the implanon removed and hoepfully to get my personality back!! thanks to all these posts on this forum i know i am not loosing my mind :)
appointment booked to get this thing out! seriously.. 2yrs of being the worlds biggest ***** is more than enough. my poor kids lives haven't been worth living :( my poor hubby.. i'm soooo snappy, huffy, emotional (not to mention i used to be highly sexually driven... now i just want to sleep)
my memory has always been bad but i'm soo scatter brained now.
hopefully i improve very quickly so we can actually enjoy the school holidays. i'll soon get used to normal periods again... even with a higher risk of getting pregnant.
thank you everyone who posted here, it brought everything into place.
Omg, can't believe what i'm reading!....I'm due to have the implant out next week and after reading all these comments, definitely won't be getting another inserted! I suffed from severe panic attacks a couple of months after having the implanon put in! I didn't leave my house for near on 6 months and had counselling and have been on anti depressants ever since!....Never knew so many people have been affected like this. Thought I was going crazy and been so snappy and moody and have put on a ton of weight!....Back to using condoms I think!
I appreciate this comment is quite a while after your original post however i would maybe suggest that the panic attacks and anxiety were due to delayed stress due to termination of pregnancy. I experienced feelings of losing control and fear of dying for quite a while after mine and it has only come to light recently that it could have been some sort of post traumatic stress. I do hope she is now feeling better but just to be aware that the psychological effects of a procedure like that can also be quite distressing.
Did you get it taken out? I have been experiencing these exact symptoms and I have been scared out of my mind that it is something else causing it..like something serious..I am hoping and praying it is just this birth control!! When you had it taken out did it stop everything you were experiencing?
Like the rest of you, I am also happy to have found this site. I had the Implanon a few days short of a year. After just a couple of months I noticed a change in my moods. After four months, I started to wonder if my hormones were really out of whack or if I was just a crazy girl. During this time, I had moved to a foreign country which I loved and had new beginnings with my long distance bf. There were many changes in my life so I couldn’t exactly pinpoint the changes in my mindset. As time went on, I finally had a period. This explained the total B*tch I was being the week before. I didn’t have periods often, but there was a lot of up and downs while I was PMSing and total relief afterwards, but it didn’t last long. In the past, I’ve only had a problem with one BC pill, but never dealing with my hormones. This was all very new to me.

I used to find a positive in everything and be very pleasant to be around, but I became a negative nancy around people I really care about and many noticed a change. As far as my relationship went, I became jealous and controlling and although many times I didn’t think I was overacting, it turns out I always was. I developed a bit of anxiety and on a few occasions thought of jumping off my roof. Thankfully, I thought about all the people I love and care about. I would never do it, but the fact was, I was having horrible thoughts. I know myself and this isn’t me. This wasn’t my first relationship. However, it was the first time I ever saw the horrible qualities in myself. I had a very loving boyfriend who really is like a saint and he never fought with me. Unfortunately, overtime I pushed him away and recently to made a move to a different continent. I feel it’s a result of my smothering him.  We are still in a relationship, but I have never felt more depressed.

After finding this website, I realize many girls have a similar experience. After calling my doctor at home she advised me not to have it removed, I think because I’m still in a foreign country. She also said she hasn’t had anyone complain about the hormones. However, it’s plainly listed on the website..changes in emotions and depression as side effects. After the phone call she made me feel even worse.
I know my body better than anyone and I wasn’t happy and I needed a change no matter what. Maybe, it’s situational, maybe it’s hormones. There’s only one way to find out, so today I went to have it removed. With hearing other stories I felt that I had to try. I will try my best and be patient and wait for changes to come, but I already feel relieved that I don’t have it in me anymore.  Good luck to anyone dealing with this.
This is such a relief. I thought I was the only one. Ive had the implanon also. I didn't have much going wrong except the ongoing cycle. Until I got the implant removed.. Ive suffered from anxiety. it is such a horrible feeling. I haven't really been out the house in 2 months. since then I've been trying to figure out what was wrong. I googled the symptoms to implanon . And here I am. Ive felt as if I was going insane. I always got dizzy. Sick feeling.. I felt as if I couldn't breath. I couldn't go out in public. I was afraid of blacking out from the dizzyness. I felt weak.. I didn't know what I was going to do. I was Unable to take care of myself along with my two year old. I told my doctor about my symptoms and me thinking the implanon caused it. she says I'm wrong. I beg to differ. I was always a shy person but I've never had anxiety or panic attacks. I'll admit I would remove  myself from social events and.crowds. but what I've been feeling is unbelievable. I lost my job. Write having out with friends. I've been so afraid. good luck to you all. just remember you're not alone. you can look up ways to temporarily fight through the anxiety.. just look up ways to get through anxiety.. There 8 steps . It helped me keep confident
like everyone who has come across this site i to am relieved to have found it, i got my implant done in the middle of march and for the last 4 months ive had really bad anxiety panic attacks thinking am dying or something is wrong with me also not wanting to go out or to see anyone even having to go shop i would panic and think everyone is lookin at me thinkin somethin is wrong im going to make an appointment soon as to get it removed i thought i was developing some sort of mental health problem but now i know why this should really be banned i would rather have all the other side affects than waht most of us have been suffering, i hope you all get it taken out and we all get back to normal xx
oh and also really bad mood swings i have been really nasty to people for no reason i was never like this before i got the implant in, wish there was more awarness out there about this to stop other women getting it put in and this happening to them, they might not find this site and think its them xx
I wish I would have found this site before I had it impanted. I am 38 years old and have NEVER experienced any effects like this. Severe mood swings, panic attacks, depression, irritability. I feel completly out of control. I blow up in a rage over the littlest thing. Suicidal thoughts and rage  to where i have thought about harming people. I am a docile person, I love everyone, I cant beleive this product has not been recalled. If I still had insurance I would have it removed IMMEDIATLY!!!
does anyone else have a social phobia with this in like you feel like something is wrong with you and you feel others can tell so you dont want to be around them im becoming paronoid having panic attaks and anxiety all the time snapping at people i really cant wait to have this taken out i was never like this before
hi i have recently been dealing with all these symptons ive been with my boyfriend for 5 years and this is the first time this has happened i feel like i  cant breath i cry i panic i have a terrible stomach,it is only because my boyfriend makes me that i go out to socialise  i got my first one in 2008 and had no problems had my new one put in 6 months ago i heard a bit of bad press about it  but thought as the last one was okie i would be alright with this my mum is a nurse so didnt want to go down the anti depression tablet route and couldnt afford paying for a some one to talk to i couldnt understand what was wrong with me until i reliase it could be this now i found this page i know thats what it is so thank you and i am arranging to have it out tmorrw i know it may take a week or soo to actually get it out anything to get me back to normal i went all the way to america on my own for got sake now im struggling to go out with friends
I feel sick to my stomach yet gratefully relieved at the same time. I can't believe I'm not alone! I thought I was crazy! I just stumbled upon this website while researching the side effects of implanon because I have gained 16 pounds in 8 weeks which is how long I've had it. My best friend has had the implanon for over 3 years, even went back and got another one put in. She swears by it and says its the best birth control. I even convinced my sister to get the implanon, she had it put in a few weeks ago. I've had anxiety my whole life, over the last 5 years I had a handle on it and had been doing very well. Lately, I've become more paranoid, shakey (shaky), fearful in social situations to the point I'll sit in the parking lot of a grocery store unable to go inside. I tried explaining this to my husband but he thinks it's all in my head and I'm overreacting. I recently lost my job and got married and spend most of everyday inside. Ive been so depressed and angry and don't recognize myself anymore, that I seriously considered I might be possessed by something evil! I've never had birth control before so I assume that I need time to adjust however after reading everyone's posts, I feel so grateful that it's not just me!! My husband does not understand. He thinks I'm stressed because I'm unable to find a job and that I'm lazy and overeat which has caused the weight gain. He refuses to accept that the birth control has any negative effects, he thinks I'm using it as an excuse. I've never gained this much weight in this short of time. I recently started dieting and exercising but the weight keeps on coming. I just don't feel like myself anymore and feel like giving up. My husband constantly asks what happened to the ambitious, driven, happy girl he first met. I wonder the same... These should be the happiest days of my life, I was just married 6 weeks ago! My periods prior to implanon were regular every month and lasted 3-4 days. Now they are longer and spotty, i feel like i have to wear tampons 20 days out of the month. I have no sexual drive and feel so bad because we waited to have sex until marriage and I know this can't be easy for my husband. Most of the time, I push his affection away and am just terribly bitter. I take all of my anger out on him and he's the love of my life and I feel so bad that I'm treating him so terribly. I've isolated myself from family and friends. The implanon website did not say anything about these anxiety side effects before I had it put in. I'm thankful for this website and despite paying over 800 for this birth control just 2 months ago, I am going to have it taken out.
Yeah, I have experienced these same symptoms. It is making me go crazy and I feel anxious all the time, I didn't know what it was for a while I though I was losing it. I still need to have an appointment to get it taken out ASAP reading all this has made me see that this is why i'm acting nutty.

Just a few days ago I had a 20th b'day party with some friends and for no reason I went into another room and stared bawling, I was inconsolable and everyone had to leave- I couldn't really explain why I was so sad - I felt like the world had caved in!

I just want to be normal again!! I feel like a maniac!!!
ive written on here a few times now and still come back to read what others have written i rang my doctors and they said i have to wait for 4 weeks to have it taken out so i rang a sexual health clinic and they can take it out tuesday i really cant wait to have it out i will continue to come on this site and keep yous posted of how i feel afterwards, good luck to you all pls dont let the doctors persuade you to keep it in it just aint worth it and if anybody needs someone to talk to message me and i will get back to you i check up a lot its nice to talk to people going through the same thing xx
I have had the Implanon for 2 and a half years. I can say it was one of the worst decisions of my life!!! I am now severely depressed, fat, and paranoid. I have wanted to get it taken out for a year but my insurance didnt cover it. Most of our insurance wont cover it from what I'm told because of the side effects(to be put in nor removal). It would of been almost $400.00 to have it removed. In this economy no one has $400.00 extra dollars. I'm not having a baby but for 2 years I have felt like I am without the growing belly and beautiful blessing that comes with it. Now I feel like I have postpartum depression and my husband is fed up with it as am I. Finally I am havig it removed in two weeks and I'm soooooooo HAPPY!!!!! Hopefully we will have another child(another side effect is some women cant concieve (conceive) after having it). I will never trust another doctor to say "oh it's fine"!!!! I hope no woman submits herself to this torture!
This implanon is the worst.  I have been so depressed with no good reason.  I am going to try to get it removed this month.  It has put a strain on my relationship and I have a great relationship normally.  My fiance said he can tell I was never the way I am now and he swears its the birth control.  I hope everyone having issues with this thing gets theirs taken out.  I am switching to good ol fashion condoms.  No more hormones for me as soon as possible.  I went through crazy phases of thinking it would not matter if I was around and no one really needs me.  Craziness!
well here i am again, i went to have it taken out today but they couldnt do it because its to deep in my muscle im really peed of i was really looking forward to it aswell i have to be refeerd to for a scan then see what they can do hope everyone is ok and yous dont have the same problem xx
Just reading this I wanna cry I had the implant put in 13mths ago and since I have been bk and forth to the doctors looking for answers and I just get sent away with another printout for IBS, I have gone up two dress sizes in 10 days as my weight seems to be up and down due to me trying to diet! I'm so snappy with my kids I have a 12yr old and a 2yr old and the smallest thing makes me so angry!
I also get confused when things get hectic, and upset when I can't cope,
I only got married in may and I find it hard to be interested in my husband I love him dearly but I don't want him near me.
My mum has suffered from depression all her life and I have always been there to help her and to pick her up, but now I can't I'm so tired I'm no good to anyone right now.
I'm also a volunteer to help families with young children get through hard times but I don't know if I can even face going somewhere new to help.
To my rational side I sound slightly mental and I should snap out of it, but my emotional side just can't face up to the pressure.
I'm booked in to have the rod removed in 3 wks( earliest appointment crazy )
I hope I can become the positive fun natured outgoing person I was before!

I'm sorry this post is gloomy but If I can stop just one person feeling the way I do right now then thank god something good has come of it.

Fingers crossed :)
I am definitely taking mine out ASAP! Since I've had it in about a year now, I have been struggling with major anxiety, depression, moods swinges, social anxiety, i also eat very very heathy and can not lose weight.I've been going to doctors, psychiatrist, psychologist, counsellors... So confused as to why I was feeling to lost and feeling like the way I was. When usually I'm a strong, positive and confident, bubbly person! To become such the opposite, having panick attacks while grocery shopping, facing daily anxiety making me feel soooo crazy and couldn't explain it!!! I hope it gets better when I take it out! I will post an update to let you guys know! Good luck to you all :)) seriously please consider taking it out if your feeling the same!!!!
Iv'e had the implanon for 2 years now and I can honestly say its the worse decision I have made,my mam and friends always say that I used to have a constant smile on my face but since iv'e had the implanon I changed. Im always feeling depressed or having bad mood swings,its even becoming an issue with my boyfriend he hates seeing me like this and because im like this it makes him depressed and it isn't a good feeling knowing that its affecting the ones you love even though it was supposed to protect you.I have always been thinking about taking it out,but when i saw this page it just gave me this boost to actually get it done.I have now booked an appointment for the 13th of September. Hope it goes well
I'm so so pleased I found this forum, even just reading the comments have made me feel better!  I had the implant put in march time and was bleeding everyday and after a month started to not feel like myself but just tried to brush it off, was arguing a lot with my boyfriend and he kept telling me to take it out, so after 3 months I had the implant taken out!

I thought I would start feeling myself again but once I had the implant taken out i think my hormones went all over the place and I went really down hill, I wouldnt go back to my flat with my young son because I felt too scared to be in my own so I started living at my mum and dads again, that's when the anxiety really started, I couldn't go back to work after maternity and have now lost my job because of the anxiety and at one point I wouldn't even leave the house and is a struggle to go out.

I eventually started to feel better after a couple of months but I have had my first proper period last week and I have completely gone back down hill again although am controlling it a lot better, am going back to the docs this morning as I now believe this is all down to the implant.

Any advice I can give is take the implant out if you are feeling the same, luckily I only had mine in for a few months ans if you feel your going to have an attack just try to rationalise with yourself because honestly nothing will happen to you, they are just attacks and they will go away. And try to push yourself to go even if it's just to a little high street, I found walking was the best way to calm me down xxxx

I hope this has helped people and I shall write on here again in the next few weeks
I am so gutted I have not seen this website before.

Four years ago I was a happy go lucky girl, for years and years I have felt fatigued, tired, I've watched the relationships around me fall apart and I've treated the people that I care about like absolute dirt! I've put off visiting the doctors, I've felt depressed, lonely. I've had outbursts of anger/upset depression for hours and hours upon end, crying for hours and hours, thinking to myself that I've got a problem, that I'm not right in the head! I don't know whether or not it is the implant, but it must be, because I have never been like this! I simply cannot be bothered to do anything, see anyone, see my friends, see my boyfriend, my sex drive is absolute nil.

I can't wait to have this thing out of my arm!!
Ive had this thing in for less than a month and I feel like I've gone insane. I'm literally crying every night about the smallest little things. I became super antisocial that I'm worrying everyone around me. I'm snapping at everyone all the time. I can't even handle going to work anymore. I've fallen into a pretty bad depression. I sencirely thought about killing myself twice already because I just can't handle anything. This thing is hurting me and everyone one around me. I'm getting it out by the end of this week even if it means me scratching it out.
I have had implanon in since June and i have only started noticing how emotional i am getting over the slightest things. I never want to be social anymore, i am always snapping at my boyfriend who has done nothing wrong. I am even starting to get jealous of my own friends for no reason. Should i stick this out in case it gets better and keep implanon or get it out before it gets worse?
Hi ladies!
I am a nineteen year old who has always been considered healthy. I had the Implanon inserted on March 16, 2012 and at first I thought it would be the greatest thing that had ever happened to me. I was excited to know that I would not be getting those heavy week long periods that I would always get. Boy was i wrong! Yes, the only positive outcome was I would not really have my periods anymore and when I would spot it would be very light. Also, I thought it worked wonders because I would not have to worry about getting pregnant as much. Although I noticed I would not be myself for a while because I would feel depressed, always tired, isolated,upset at everything, extra sensitive, and etc. I did not pay much attention to it because I figured it was part of the side effects. I started noticing I was not myself. For example, I could always run a mile without struggling regardless in how often I would exercise. The one time I went with my boyfriend I thought I was going to faint and could not breathe. Later on I started thinking I was claustrophobic, which I did not understand how all of a sudden, because I had never had problems in the past doing the same routine. It got to the point where I could not get to be with many people because I started getting panic/anxiety attacks. I noticed when I would get these panic attacks, I had shortness of breath, dizzy, nauseous, weak, my vision was not clear, started shaking, felt like I needed to get away, felt like I was going to faint, and very scared. At some points I thought I was going to end up hospitalized or possibly even die. I know it sounds intense, but never in my mind did I think this would happen to me. It finally reached my limit because I could not even be in a classroom without getting them. Even certain days, I would get these panic attacks a couple times per day. I always was the type of person who would love to enjoy time with my family and friends, but the Implanon changed me completely.  I even went to three different doctors and they tested me for everything and I came out healthy. I even tried psychological services because they recommended it. I know it was the Implanon because I never had the "attacks" prior to getting the Implanon inserted. I am not saying the Implanon will do this to all women because a couple of my friends have it and this hasn't happened, but I do believe if ALL these women are having the same problem then it definitely is an issue! Even after having it removed I still get them and it is ruining my life. It is ruining my education and my health. The week before I had it removed, I was actually considering to commit suicide which this had never crossed my mind. Please help me to get panic/ anxiety attacks on the list of side effects. Please for the rest of young and older ladies, I ask for your help. Nobody is going to do anything about this until somebody commits suicide and we do not want that to happen.
I'm a husband of a girl who has the implant well, I was cuz Thankx to this implant we not together any more she. Our relationship was ok you know regular problems like any other one but, after our second baby we decided for her to get it. We shouldn't never do that, she became a different person always mad at one time end happy at the next minute, depress, no sleep for days, tired, at next and sleep for to many hours, mad,and screaming, and make my feels guilty for all that, head ache for no reason, lower back and breast pain, and so many other things and she always ol me it was because me at the point that I  believe that. I'm a house man that my life it always been from home to work and take care of my family, so she diceded to let me now I know I wasn't the problem make me feels bad that I didn't did this research befored now she is with somebody else and she still have the same problems Thankx implanon you own me a family!
I'm a husband of a girl who has the implant well, I was cuz Thankx to this implant we not together any more she let me. Our relationship was ok you know regular problms like any other one but, after our second baby we decided for her to get it. We shouldn't never do that, she became a different person always mad at one time end happy at the next minute, depress, no sleep for days, tired, at next and sleep for to many hours, mad,and screaming, and make my feels guilty for all that, head ache for no reason, lower back and breast pain, and so many other things and she always make feels that it was because me at the point that I believe it I'm a house man that my life it always been from house  to work  and  visever and take care of my family, so she diceded to let me and start a new relationship, now I know I wasn't the problem make me feels bad that I didn't did this research befored now she is with somebody else and she still have the same problems Thankx implanon you own me a family!
I actually just tried to google the word depression. And I found this. I have the implanon, have had it for a year and 2 months as of a few days ago. I had a relatively happy life of a 21 year old. Great guy, go to school and work. But now I cry. I cry every day. Sometimes I have to go to the bathroom and cry so no one will see me. My boyfriend is getting sick and tired of all my crying. The smallest things set me off. I have never been so depressed in my life. I'm not ready for kids right now and this was my best option for birth control, but I don't even feel like the same person. I have thoughts of self harm, I dream about the most depressing things. I wake up crying. I'm considering taking an anti depressant, but not sure if it can help. It almost feels like nothing will help. Like I have had it in so long that I may be like this forever. Has anyone taken an anti depressant at the same time? I need to know if it helped. I'm laying here in bed again, crying, my bf refuses to even comfort me anymore because I have gotten so out of hand. I need help. I don't want to lose everything.
Hello all,

I'm so glad to know that there are others out there besides me that are suffering in the same way I am. I have had my implant (nexplanon) for almost 6 months now. At first I thought it was brilliant, I've only had one period in the time that I've had it, however the last month has become a personal hell for me.
I've had greasy hair & ache, both of which I've never suffered from before. I've had bloating, abdominal problems and neck and back pain. Recently I've also had pain where the implant is situated, and swelling of that arm and hand. All of these side effects I can deal with, but the worst effect I have had is severe anxiety. For the last month I have had at least one anxiety attack everyday, sometimes these are small and sometimes they are panic attacks. It's beginning to terrify me as I have never suffered from these before, and it has gotten to the point where I can't even face getting out of bed sometimes. I get hot flushes ( I'm only 21!) and feel lethargic most of the time. My boyfriend of 5years is growing increasingly concerned about me as aim just not myself anymore. Luckily for me he's very understanding and tries to help me through, but anyone else who feels like this knows its torture and reassurance rarely helps.

Baring in mind all my side effects, I had a feeling that it was the implant that was causing all of this, purely because I am simply no longer me. I went to my doctors for advice, and he seemed remarkably laid back about my side effects, he even said that the anxiety is a rare side effect, although after reading a number of posts here I must say I disagree. I was told that I should wait it out and it's likely that the side effects will settle down. I argued and told him I was already struggling and was told that I didn't have much choice and that this is "the best of a bad situation".

I'm now playing the waiting game in the hope that things will improve. If they don't improve within the next month, I'm gonna ask to have it out because its just not worth feeling this way.
Hi guys so its been a month from when I last posted and things are on the up! So turns out I was suffering from post natal depression but only mildly but having the implant just made my hormones go AWOL! I decided that my only option was to take anti depressants, which I'm so glad I did because it has now started to balance out my hormones again, don't get me wrong it has been a very very tough few months but girls i strongly recommend that you spk to your doctors for advice! And the anxiety attacks have lessened everyday and I finally have started enjoying my life again so just to let everyone know that there is hope xxxxxxx
im 18 years old and I got the implant in may 2011 and i thought nothing of it at first. after three month or so i started feeling a change within my body. slowly but surely i started feeling more and more down everyday, i was taking my moods out on the wrong people and nearly lost the love of my life a few times through this, i dunno what i would do without him. i would cry at the slightest of things and get upset at things that would never usually bother me, anyways as time went on it got worse and worse. I started feeling down all the time, tired all the time, angry for the slightest things, moody all the time, not myself at all. I used to be so happy and have a good personality, i seen my friends everyday, now im housebound. i hardly go out, and when i do i cant enjoy myself. im just not myself whatsoever and the implant is the only thing i can think the problem would be. this last year and a bit has to have been the most emotional and upsetting part of my life so far.

After finding this website and realizing other people are going through what i am also, and that i am actually not going insane and loosing my mine, it has took a bit stress off my shoulders. finding this has really helped me, now time to go and get this thing removed before it gets any worse. It has ruined my social life and personality, i cannot let that get worse, hopefully i get back to my normal self soon :)
i've previously had the depo 3 month injection almost 2 years ago. i lost 11 pounds without effort in less then 2 months(lost my butt and some breast weight, and weight in my area and thighs), lost hair my hair got super thin, i had super thick hair, it has recovered some since i stoped takin the injection, stoped my periods those are all my side effects for the depo. Now i take implanon, got it at the end of august this year, since then my periods has decreassed not fully, mood swings getting really sad, teary, and even crying for no reason at all, or get really sensitve and upset when my boyfriend jokes with me (we've always beem like this even before the implanon) and i KNOW he's just being playful and then i get upset even tho i know he means no harm and at times i feel super bad :( cause i know it hurts his feelings at times and even thinks he did something wrong especially if i get rude or irritaded but i told him its not him and i love him with all my heart, i also get very very dizzy and nauses ALL THE TIME! i actually threw up walking from the store to my house with my boyfriend the other day, it was weird cause i was fine in the store as soon as we walk out on the parking lot i get sick. i get sick almost everytime after i eat, i use to eat alot, recently my appitite has gone CRAZY, now i eat in very small amounts because i feel even more sick wen i eat alot, regardless i get sick, no hair loss yet thank good, and my weight seems fine(i gain my weight back this summer) but im afraid that with my new appitite im going to loss a lot of weight again and i dont want too!! my boyfriend lives with me so he notices all these things, and he's getting really worried if things dnt get better he wants the implanon out! he wants me to go see a doctor, he hates seeing me like this, if anybody knows anyways to better the side effects please let me know!! oh and does anybody know if marijuana has anythiing to do with it, i dont think so, i've done reasearch in the past about it cause i thought it was affecting me when i had the depo.
hi i was just reading ur comments iv had my implant in for 2years two now, and im the same . im crying for no reason at all and it seems to be getting worse , i cant sleep  but when i go to sleep i dont want to get out of bed at all. i cant  think right  im finding it hard even writin this thats how bad it is . i just wanted to ask u did u get pains going up ur arm. and like stabbing pain in ur stomach. and how do u feel now its out. cos im going up to get this out this is going on to long im going off me head and after seen all them comments has me worryed to bits. but the good thing is im not the only one this is happing to ....  

Can anyone tell me how long it intakes for the hormone to leave your system once having implant removed
Hey guys I am in exactly the same position!! I have had it since last October and always suspected it was having bad effects cause i got really depressed as soon as they put it in really. The depression comes and goes, it's bad right now. My boyfriend is the kindest person I have ever met, and he used to spend days with me where I would be having a great time with him then all of a sudden something would snap and I would be crying for hours and shouting at him and It makes me feel horrible, I don't know why he's stayed with me but I am so angry that it could be due to this thing in my arm which made me lose my sex drive anyway. The doctor is taking ages to book me an appointment! WE NEED TO RAISE AWARENESS OF THE DANGERS OF THIS, it has ruined my social life, my motivation for school and my teenage life.
thanks for your post. I have been reading soo many posts about the horrible side effects relating to depression, but was looking for some positive feedback from someone who had had it removed. I was so happy to find your post. My daughter who was in college, but had to drop out because she had to be hospitalized for severe depression and suicidal thoughts. She has taken several different medicines for depression with no relief form any of them. I have suspected the implanon and had her mention it to her doctor but he blew her off. She recently went to a new doctor who believes that the implanon might be the problem. She is having it removed next week. I hope and pray we are right and hope she can get her life back. She has been feeling hopeless and suicidal for the last year and close to giving up.It scares the hell out of me.i looking forward to getting my sweet,intelligent,and full of life daughter back.I needed to be hopeful and your post has given me that. Thanks!!
i have read the comments and i feel so relieved. when i got the implant in the nurse told me to give it 10 weeks for it to settle down and for my body to get used to the hormone changes. the first 8 or so weeks all i did was cry at everything and feel very angry and frustrated and i thought that was it but i was wrong. its not until i found this site that i put the pieces together and it all comes down to the implant. feeling depressed, anxiety, mood swings, lethargic, paranoia, cant handle stress, and no sex drive. i thought it was stress at work but i've done this job for 2 years and never felt like this. several of my friends have the implant and they recommended it to me so i guess thats why i didnt think it could be that. but reading the comments on this site, they describe too perfectly how i am feeling, i am getting it out soon as i can so i can feel normal again.
Glad to have found this site, I googled 'can the contraceptive implant cause depression' and this came up straight away. I have read some comments and although I don't wish depression or anxiety on anyone, it's nice not to feel as alone as I have felt recently. I have had the implant in since July. It was great at first, periods were still regular, I was still myself, it was good. Around September time things changed.. gradually I have felt myself become so depressed, snapping needlessly at my boyfriend, crying constantly, I would also bleed randomly for short periods of time as well as having periods that last well over a week where as they used to last 5 days. It has gotten worse recently, I cry all the time, I feel I can't express myself to my loved ones, I am distancing myself, I feel as though I am a bad person, childish, noone believes me, they call it "being a woman"... Focusing at college has become more challenging than ever, I am failing almost all of my exams. I will be visiting the health nurse later today, I want the implant out, I believe it is the implant and college stress making me depressed and I can't carry on like this, it is getting worse. I often lay awake at night wondering if anyone would miss me if I died, wondering if my boyfriend would be happier if we split. I just want help. Someone to understand me and help me get better. I am only 19, I have barely lived my life, I shouldn't be feeling like ending it. Thanks for all the comments, I believe I am getting closer to the solution. The implant needs to go, I also need support, I just need to convince myself to ask for it.
Omg I have a lot of these symptoms with the implanon I'm due to get it changed on Feb but I think I wanna try having it removed for a dew months to see if anything changes, I felt it was great for the first year although my sex drive dropped to zero but I didn't have any periods for the first year, but after the first year I'm having abdominal pains an lower back pains that feels like my kidneys, feeling depressed all the time, sex drive is so bad I split with my bf for a while over it, I have put on a lot of weight from feeling depressed an comfort eating, my last period there lasted a month an I also am getting reddy brown discharge that smells awful. I am constantly moody an really not my normal self an I always wondered was it the implant. I am so glad to see so many that have the same problems I spoke to my family plan doc an she suggested removal but I was hesitant of getting preg but i am defo gonna have it out for a while an just be really safe to not get pregnant an try natural birth control for a while. Thanx everyone an good luck to u all! X
So glad I read this, I had the implanon fitted about 6 months ago, my life seemed to just go to shambles, when I first got it put in I was under a lot of stress and have previoiusly suffered from anxiety and depression so just put down my severe mood swings to me obviously being depressed, but like I explained to my mum and partner, I dont really feel depressed, life is good Im in counselling and working through alot of stuff that has been contributing to my depression however my moods just did not reflect this at all, I felt like I was making big strides forward ye Im constantly grumpy, I go from being fine to REALLY F*cking annoyed or angry in the space of 5 mins, I pick at everything my partner does and he is amazing and puts up with so much and does so much for me yet I treat him like hes a piece of ****, he says to me all the time :"I cant do anything right!" and I go off over the smallest things, this isnt me at all even when Id been depressed in the past I still had some maturity about me and knew what battles to pick but at the moment I just cant let anything go and even if I get an applogy it doesnt make me feel any better, its like Im on some sort of negative high and when I come down I feel so embarassed and ashamed and cant believe Ive been acting this way, Im needy and just a difficult person to be around, which is the opposite of how I usually am. Its pushed me to the point of feeling like there is no point anymore, Im doing everything right to combat my dpression and anxiety and things just seemed to get worse and worse, going to see the doctor this week and get them to take it out... hopefully things will improve because I feel like im on the verge of loosing the man i love because of my craziness...
Just giving an update here. I had my Implanon removed July 31, 2012 and after about 8 weeks my life turned around. During the time I had it removed, I was going through many problems in my personal life and the hormone definitely escalated my emotions. When I think back to that time, I don't know how I survived all the emotions and how people handled me either. I felt so depressed at that time and now can't believe I ever felt that way.
These days I am 100% back to my old self which means only being emotional a day or so a month. I might add that I am not on any kind of birth control as I want get the hormones from the birth control out completely. I also have to admit, I like getting a period every month.
    Get the implant removed if you feel that you are experiencing symptoms because of it whether your doctor agrees or not. It's not worth your sanity and there are other options out there for you!
I'm so glad I found these posts.
I got Implanon February 2011, 5 months before my wedding. I am 18- not pregnant, just found the one for me early in life- and I am pretty small at only 5 feet. The first thing for me on implanon was weight gain. I put on 5 pounds in about 2 months- which was devastating to me as my wedding dress wasn't fitting. After I got married I started to have feeling of "I don't care" about anything and I got really tired. I have now had implanon for almost 2 years and I get mad ALL the time & I don't feel like myself. I have trouble breathing- which apparently is a side effect of implanon. I also have super high anxiety, something that I never had before. I'm in college and today I had to give a presentation for a final and I had extreme anxiety I could barely talk. I can barely drive on the freeway now without getting so anxious about getting into an accident. I am not me. I am making an appointment tomorrow so I can get Implanon removed. I like that I haven't gotten pregnant but I am not willing to sacrifice my mental and physical well being just to not get pregnant. I may get on the pill. I'm not sure, but this Implanon is not working for me.
oh my god!! like most of you i never considered any of my problems 2 be down 2 my implant, but after reading numerous posts from loads of different sites i now think that they are ALL due 2 my implant as i never had any of these symptoms before i had the im implant!!
symptoms i have include:
• shooting pains in my arms and shoulders to the point wher i cant sleep and have restricted movement due to the pain i get!
• disturbed sleeping patterns - i wake up many times in the night! every night!
• lower back pain like sciatica
• thrush like symptoms on and off
• used 2 have clear skin now greasy
• put on 2stone (i have been on implant 2 and half years & put this down 2 my self control)
• anxiety to the point where i avoid most situations and certain people
• lumps (thats what it feels like to me) inside my vagina which never used 2 be there (doctor says its normal)
• loads of new moles i never used to have (not sure if this 1 is related)
• total lack of sex drive and cringe whenever my partner comes near me or initiates sex!! no interest at all even though i am attracted to my partner (wish i was single so dont have 2 put up with sexual demands as not interested in slightest! & find it hard to be turned on even if i allow it)
• total detachment from my children! find it hard 2 get out of bed! hav no energy to do anything and dont want to do anything! want to be left alone!!
• extremeley depressed to the point that i want to harm myself and not live! ( i put this down to post-natal depression but also realised it only started after implant!! from which i have been on and off anti-depressants ever since!)
•IBS symptoms!! extreme stomach pain and diarheoa (not sure about spelling)
•and theres probably more if i took more time to think about it!!
If any1 else has had symptoms like these please let me know!! i am going to try and make an appointment to have implant removed tomorrow!! in so glad to have read all this as sometimes i have felt physco and thought it was all me!  hope having implant removed will return me back to myself!! :) xxx
I'm really sorry to hear that you're suffering with the implant, I found that I had a  lot of these symptoms when I had my implant in... Baring in mind that I've had mine out for about a year now, thinking back to when I had it in I experience all of these and they were horrible! A year on and I'm feeling great, my life is back on track. I'm not taking any sort of hormonal contraception- I'm giving my body a break from it all and I feel fab!

My advice would be to get it taken out, and see how it goes from there. Use barrier methods of contraception if you need to as this won't involve having to have hormones in your system that could alter your mood. This way you can see whether it is the implant causing you all this hassle. I was lucky and for me it was definitely the implant, I hope it's the same for you. Best of luck, keep us posted!
I am totally shocked reading these posts I have had this implanon for almost a year and I have had 0 energy I am tired all the time I can't sleep I toss and turn wake up several times a night also I have started having anxiety attacks that are very scary. I never had these issues before and I am just wandering if it s not best to just have it removed
I'm feeling the saaaame way. Having a boyfriend deal with our crazy is important but I'm horrified I'm pushing him away because I'm flipping out all the time for no apparent reason:( I wish I would have seen this before I got mine a year ago. I'm 19 and I have gained weight also which I just lost 50 lbs before I got put on implanon and now I've gained 20and cry all the time, same irrational outbursts, it really is nice knowing I'm not the only one. I didn't have a period for 9 months and now I bleed every couple of days for the past 3 months. My face looks like a pizza with all of the outbreaks I've started having. No matter what's going on I find something to go crazy about. I've never cried so much over the dumbest reasons ever...but just like you I feel like I can't stop it and if I can I don't really care to. It's causing a huge problem with my relationship because I'm this unhappy moody ***** that can be wonderful one second and the next I want to murder someone. :( after reading all these and realizing ok it really is the b.c. And it's causing serious side effects I just called my doc to get removed... Waiting on callback. Thanks ladies wow....:,( I can't wait to be normal again.
Hi there i had the contraceptive implant nearly a year ago now, and i was getting such bad mood swings, depression i blamed it on the implant settling in, but since then iv'e haven't got any better, i have no energy, i suffer from anxiety (predominantly at night) i have had sore lumpy breasts which twice now i have had to get checked out as i got worried, and i have recently got lumps on the entrance of my cervix, i also suffer from really bad period pains, but no period but the odd occasional "spotting". i feel awful, i'm so lethargic and feel like life isn't worth living sometimes, i can tell when its hormonal as i get bad headaches and so on. I have also recently found out that my implant is broken and i have been to see my doctor and she told me "the implant should level out your hormones, it isnt your implant that is messing with your hormones and it being broken wont affect it....." i think i may have it taken out......does anyone know if their are any risks if it is broken????
I'm in my mid teens, and I had my Implanon fitted roughly 7 months ago as a birth control precaution.

In the beginning, I thought it was wonderful. 3 solid years without even having to think about or let alone worry about accidental pregnancy. Before the Implanon, I was a fairly laidback and happy person, but after just a few weeks of having it, I changed. I became paranoid, anxious, and depressed. My formerly stable relationship with my ex boyfriend gradually broke down over time as I could not control these negative emotions, and eventually he left saying he'd had enough of my aggressive and overly possessive behaviour towards him. I knew this can't of been me, because prior to May (when I got my Implanon) I'd never experienced any of these feelings, and although I had the odd insecurity, it was never to the extent that it took over mine or his life. Nevertheless, I thought I was going mad. I knew the way I was behaving was wrong, but I couldn't put a stop to it. Eventually it led to self-harm and even at a point me contemplating suicide. I woke up every morning hoping that this day would finally be the end. I've pushed my family and friends away, and as a consequence I now have nobody. I went from being an A/A* grade student to becoming somebody who's lucky not to get a U. I can safely say the Implanon has ruined who I am and the life I loved to live. It has taken everything from me. If you've had an even vaguely similar experience to mine, don't listen to anyone who tells you the Implanon isn't responsible for what's been happening to you. It is. My advice to anyone who has or is considering getting the Implanon is don't do it. Stay well away. Because even though only about 40% of us will experience these side effects, is it really worth it? I only recently found out that the Implanon is the cause for my ill mental health, and as a result I'm getting it removed within the next few weeks. Unfortunately this discovery has come to late for people like me, but if you are reading this and you are experiencing similar symptons - even weak ones, phone up your clinic and get it removed. Now.
I have had the implant in for about 6 months and also experience mood swings, depression,long irregular periods here recently its gotten worse bad headaches,anxiety,dizziness,also paranoia :-(  def. Getting it removed. this has been the worst 6 months of my life!!
I've had the implanon for almost 3 years now its due to come out next week. For the first year and a half I was okay on it. I've always had anxiety issues and what i'd call sad moments in my life (I wouldn't classify that as being depressed). However for the past year at least, I have been anxious about everything and depressed a lot of the time. Some days I can spend the whole day in bed and cry about nothing. If I feel slightly ill I automatically assume the worst and I get myself worked up about it and my heart rate goes so high, i get clammy and white. There has been numerous occasions I have phoned an ambulance or NHS direct as I am so convinced I am going to die. I have noticed a pattern on when these attacks occur, whenever I am on any form of contraception. I was on Microgynon 30 about 4/5 years ago, and I was exactly the same then. I have thought about asking for help from a doctor for my anxiety foremost and depression. I have decided to have the implant removed first and to see how I get on without it. Hopefully these symptoms will calm down and I won't require any medications or counseling to sort out my issues. I am so happy to read all these comments where other people have had similar experiences. I wish I had the courage to have the coil fitted, no hormones to interfere with my mental state and mood, however it just seems such a scary option!
Four years on from these posts and I hope everyone is feeling better! I just had my nexaplon (the newer version of the implant birth control removed.) I had the implant inserted in 2011 and lost two years of my life to anxiety, depression and panic! I couldn't even think about how I was feeling without breaking into tears. It was weird though- the only way I can explain it was a constant hum of depression and anxiety at the surface- very raw feeling and majorly uncomfortable. Yes, there were complicated issues in my life- but the best way I can explain it was I was unable to process any of my emotions. They were stagnate and always this feeling of hopelessness. I went to the nurse a year in and told her what I was experiencing- she said it oils not be the implant because it releases such a small dose of hormone. That may be true- but looking on it now- how can anything hat stops your body so completely of what it naturally wants to do, I.e. have a menstrual cycle be "not a big deal." I had break through bleeding every two weeks- and the main reason I wasn't going to get pregnant was because I ha no sex drive whatsoever! Then six months later I am standing on the platform at the train station and this incredible depression came upon me and I thought I was going to jump- like something else was in control. I went to a new nurse who said that actually the implant is known to cause clinical depression in women and I needed to come right off of it. I know it all sounds a bit dramatic- but I felt that out of control. Rage and anger followed by deep sadness and anxiety only to go back to rage! I am sure there are women who have no side effects- but if you feel at all like I did- my best advice is to get it removed as soon as possible. Don't lose anymore of your life to these inauthentic feelings and thoughts- it's not you and there is nothing 'wrong' with you. I did therapy, meditation, yoga etc, which I gained positive things from- but they are no match for hormone  based insanity!
I have my implant for 3 weeks and I'm feeling emotional and depressed I am a health 19 year old. I don't like going out or nothing now I always feel like crying I had put it down to quitting smoking but then I googled and researched about the implant.
My arm is constantly itchy and it's driving me mad. I feel paranoid all the time like people are talking about me and watching me constantly. My job is really important to me but I feel as tho I can't go because I don't want to be around people. I'm constantly wanted too shout and scream in people's faces and I get agitated really easy I've never felt like this until I had the implant but my doctor won't remove it as they said its too soon the symptoms will settle down,
Can someone please tell me who else will remove it because I can't cope with this anymore
Hey everyone,

I have been having a lot of trouble with this implant. I was once very happy, I loved talking to people, I had energy and wanted to do things like run, play games, be with people. I got my implanon in Feburary 2012. At first I was doing great. I thought it was amazing. about 5 months later, after running my first 5k, I started feeling really moody. I started feeling resentments towards my boyfriend, my family, and my friends. I spent about 85% of my time with my boyfriend, though, so he's the one who had to deal with me. I would cry every night, my hair is brittle, I gained 15 pounds, I want nothing better than to stay in my room all day. I thought maybe it was just my boyfriend and I falling away from eachother, and it almost led to a break up numerous times. I thought he was the problem. Then one night, he sneezed and I freaked out at him for 15 minutes, we fought, and told him to get out of my car and go home. It was the worst thing I could ever done. I knew it wasn't his fault. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I missed myself. Six months after the race, I got it taken out (yesterday). I have been an emotional wreck still, I'm assuming it's from msomthing like withdrawls from the constant hormones... and I tried to talk to my parents and they didn't believe this is what was causing my problems. They said I didn't seem any different. That may contribute to my emotional wreckage. I am just looking foward to being myself again. I do not reccomend implanon. The Nuva ring is pretty amazing so far. You just replace it every three weeks and there are no hormones involved (thank god). I'll keep you all updated on it, because nobody needs to go through what we have gone through. Keep strong, girls. We will get better.
I just wanted to let you know that I have been feeling the same way!
I recently (about a month ago) had it put in after having an IUD taken out. I feel crazy. A few things in my life have happened, but nothing I wouldn't have been able to deal with before. I would recommend getting it taken out. That's what I'm thinking about doing. I feel like I'm going insane, and I completely hate it. I'm anxious all the time, and I can't sleep.
i have had the implanon for 12 months, prior to this i was extremely happy with my life i had just gotten into my first serious relationship, i had a new job, lots of friends and heaps of self confidence. Since having the implanon put in I have become depressed and had feeling which i have never experienced i my life, i snap at people for no reason, iv been through 6 jobs in the past year being fired once and having my ex boss say "im just not a very nice girl". My parents say im very aggressive. I have been seeing a councillor for 6 months, always putting my problems down to situations in  my life, however when i think about it iv been in the same situation for 3 years and it never effected my mental state like it does now. However after thinking the implanon could be the problem and finding this and other forums finding out other people have experienced the same things I have booked in to get it removed in 2 days time. My implanon gets very itchy and i also have found a whole host of other reoccurring side effects which i think are linked to the implanon such as terrible cramps not unlike a period but i have not had a period for the entire duration i have had the implanon this has been the only good thing about it and was what attracted me to this form of contraception in the first place. However i am more then happy to go back on the pill if my mental state might improve. I dont think having a drug fed to your body 24/7 is healthy. I know now its more then likely that the implanon is the cause of my problems, i will write back to inform about any changes i have after it is removed
I have had implanon for 6 months now and I've been extremely depressed high anxiety mood swings and thoughts of suicide not feeling good about myself anti social and have gained 30pounds severve acne and my marriage is on the breaks I'M going Monday to get it removed the only good thing about this birth control is that I haven't bled since implanted
My daughter had the Implanon put in about 1 month ago after the birth of her first child.  I have gradually watched her personality change and her anxiety level rise.  You can't talk to her without her biting your head off and this is everyone not just me or her husband.  She is restless but wants to sleep all the time, then complains cause she can't sleep at night.  She can't concentrate on conversations of tv programs, even her favorites, but then gets mad when she doesn't know what's going on.  I was afraid that she had Post Partum Depression, but after reading all this, now I think it's the implant.  I can't suggest this as a possibility because she thinks the problem is all of us.  Don't really know what to do!
I've had my implant for 2 years (3 in december) everyone has noticed the change in my personality, I'm not the fun bubbly person I used to be anymore but the worse thing is how I treat my boyfriend but I can't help it! I've been snapping at him all the time for nothing he tries his hardest to keep me happy but all I do Is frown I regualy smile or laugh with him its just like this implant is making me so angry that sometimes I can't stand him but I love him so much! + its really itchy ! Been to doctors and they gave me cream if it didn't change within 2 weeks I get it took out, So hope my attitude changes!
I had my first implant in a month after giving birth to my daughter everything was fine but a month after that I suffered from panic attacks and depression and my doctor put it down to Anti Natal Depression I had the whole works anti depression tables diazapan beta blockers.  Now every couple of months three years later I go though the same thing, the doctor tells me its seasonal depression but i thing its the implant.  I have suffered from depression all my life but never as bad as having the implant.  Me and my partner have agreed to have it removed in the next couple of days and hopefully this will help.  If someone has had the same please let me know if this helps.
Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that you're suffering with the implant

I had some of the symptoms that your daughter does, the sleepiness and getting easily irritated, I obviously can't say exactly what it is. But I would definitely say that she should perhaps get the implant taken out. I had mine taken out nearly two years ago after suffering hugely, and for what seemed like forever.

But 2 years on I'm back to myself, because I had it taken out, and to see whether it is the implant having an effect on your daughter, I guess the thing to do is to have the implant taken out.

I hope that she gets better soon and you get to the root of this problem, it's always hard watching someone you love suffer like this.

Keep us posted, and stay strong ladies! It gets better, I promise!
Hi, I just can not be leave I have only come across this site, I had my implant taken out yesterday after nearly 3 and a half yrs!! I do have a very happy healthy 4yr old son who I adore but for the past year I noticed I just wanted to stay at home constantly with. I have snapped and been extremely paranoid since I had it put in, but I put it down to becoming a mum and wife and haveing a full time job, and sleepless nites for years, but how wrong I have been its all the implants side effects, as its only been a day I cannot really post if the old me is back but I have smiled all day knowing ill be back!!!  I have had no sex drive at all ladies my poor hubby thought he married a energetic girl who had a high sex drive and fun sense off humour, but not long after it was fitted he has had a moody, paranoid, boring, paranoid, snappy, tired one, after reading all your posts I called him at work and explained what changed me... I have today been to holland and Barrett for natural herbs that boost your sex drive and natural coconut oil for my hair which has not grown in 3 years and been horribly dry as well which was never a issue before the implant, I'd like to thank all off you strong brave ladies for your answers, I wish each and everyone the best off luck in finding your happy old selfs, I'm not ready or another baby yet and will use a contraceptive pill or condoms but NEVER the dreaded life changing for the worse implant, I just wish we all new the side effects before we lost years off our lives, xxx keep strong
I am 22 years old and have had the implant in for about 2 years now. It has made me feel like I am going crazy. Mood swings, fighting with my bf over nothing, constant paranoia and feeling like my heart is fluttering. I was never told the severity of these side effects. I was that down, I was put on anti depressants. I never realised until recently that it could have been the implant that was causing all these things. I am booking an appointment to remove this and will not use this ever again. I cannot wait to start feeling like myself again, because I dont even know myself anymore.
Thank god, I thought I was going crazy. I'm only 17 and my mom thinks that this is just my hormones going crazy and I don't know how to control it. But none of my friends are experiencing that. They are all on the depo shot or pill. Me, I have the implant. I got it in July 2012, and this past week I started feeling really depressed and scared. I started having anxiety attacks out of nowhere. My boyfriend and friends can tell that I'm comfortable, I am anti social. I have no background or history of being depressed. Ive considered talking to a therapist, cause i believed i was going crazy. I have a great life my friends are great my boyfriend is my best friend and I feel bad cause I am so bipolar or  mean to him. I find myself being so mean to him. He's very supportive and nice to me. I had an anxiety attack today at school and it was scary and I cried for so long. I feel scared, like I'm going to die. I feel umfortable, dizzy, shakey (shaky), and I randomly cough and I just don't feel okay or normal. And I don't understand, I use to be the most energetic person ever and the happiest no matter what. But this hit me out of nowhere. And it's relieving to know that others girls who are like me are experiencing it. When I start freaking out I think that it is my birth control and others girls are experiencing it too. I also randomly got my period a week ago after 7months? That's when I started having really really bad anxiety. Thank you all so much. I'm gonna talk to my doctor about getting it taken out immediately.
omg im so glad i found this site, for a week to ten days before my period i go weird, i hate people around me i cant bare my husband to touch me, my kids irritate me and their good kids and i feel soo starving all the time and lethargic, i get aches and pains in my back, headaches loss of concentration to the point i cant even form correct sentences coz my brain wont pick out what i want to say so it comes out muddled i also spell things in wrong order without realising  ( like help would be hlep ) and then the day before my period i go off the wall, completely erratically, insanely crazy were i just shout, cry, feel sorry for myself, feel suicidal and depressed. and then as soon as i see blood its all disappears !! almost instantly, like my mind is saying "oh its ok im not mad, ive just come on, thats all" ive fought this every month for about 6 months and im in the 3rd year of my implant, i googled my symptoms and it came up with PMDD which is a more severe form of PMS and although it definitely sounds like what ive got im now feeling hopeful that it could be my implant causing this and i may not have PMDD so im gonna get the hubster frogmarched to the clinic to have his manhood snipped so i can have this thing out and hopefully it is the implant and i wont have to have anti depressants for the treatment of PMDD as i really do not want to go on them, so thank you guys for sharing your stories, i now see light at the end of the tunnel :):)
My beautiful daughter who was bright, affectionate, funny and adventurous her whole life (26) until the last 2 years after she had the IMPLANON inserted in her arm. We could not get it removed because she did not have the paper work. (She had it implanted in another state and the paper work was there.)  2 doctors, one at the planned parenthood clinic, refused to remove it without the paper work. Also, if she got the paper work, it was going to cost us $600 to have it removed before the expiration date......unbelievable. We had the money, and i would have paid anything to get it out of her. She suffered the same as all of you and then some. Severe depression, suicidal; thoughts...She was house bound when she died. The anxiety was so bad. Well last September, she took her life. IMPLANON is responsible for this. I know it. If you have severe depression and/or suicidal thoughts, please remember it is the birth control IT IS NOT YOU.......and get this thing removed ASAP.......I would rather have my daughter and a grand child here with me then what i have now, nothing........DO NOT LET THIS THING KILL YOU TOO.
OMG Ladies, if you are feeling what all these women are feeling, GET IT OUT  YESTERDAY. My beautiful daughter had it for 2 years before she let it get the best of her. She died Septwember 39th of last year, (2012) She took her opwn life and IMPLANON is responsible. PLEASE.
So very, very deeply sorry for your loss. I know there are no words to console a mother whose lost a child. I too have lost my child due to medications given at a hospital. He was only 20 when he suffered a heart attack. They mixed too many medications and did not even properly diagnose him. Both our babies have become victims of the pharmaceutical companies and the FDA approving medications that have not been properly investigated. I know for a fact that hormonal imbalance can have very serious effects on ones mind and body. Recent Implanon victims' complaints and literature have revealed that the cascade of hormones Implanon releases will make a person suffer and literally go crazy. I also understand that once implanted under the skin it is very difficult to check the device and certainly difficult to remove. There are almost 600 women in England who have become pregnant with the device. How the FDA approved such a dangerous birth control which releases uncontrollable amounts of hormones into the bloodstream is beyond me. I'm sure the pharmaceutical companies are against removing this pot of gold. I hope you have counseling and a good lawyer that will listen to you. Good luck to all the women out there that want to have theirs removed and do it immediately....it's like playing Russian roulette.  Do the research yourself asap ladies!
Are the effects PERMANENT?

23 years old never played with my hormones before the Implant. Lesson well and truly learnt, I wont ever do  it again!!

I only had it in for approx. 6-8 weeks but as I've never taken any hormonal contraception I knew it was the implant causing complete havoc in my life. it sent me insane & there was no way I could keep it in "until it balanced out with my hormones"...

I've had it out just under a week but I still have no SEX drive(lucky to still have my boyfriend with my constant mood swings), loss in enjoyment in all my hobbies, and still a feeling of hopelessness...

WILL I  EVER GET BACK TO ME?......(also cannot believe people are being wrongly diagnosed with depression and prescribed medication for it...
The most tragic story is the mother of the child who took her life due to this disgusting piece of plastic! my heart goes out to you <3 )
Had nearly all the symptoms on here!!

Had the implant for 3 years and around 24 months in it changed my life. Developed horrendous anxiety and depression issues and became self destructive and isolated myself a lot of the time,

Also really short tempered and agitated CONSTANTLY!

Never again.
Had nearly all the symptoms on here!!

Never again.
I know that a lot of people before me have been very thankfully for this form, I am no different. I had Implanon inserted a year ago, and at first I felt fine, but then for the last 4 months I have felt like I am possessed. I have been suffering from major anxiety and worry about absolutely everything. We bought a house recently and I went into worry overload I just couldn't cope with anything, I was a mess. This last week I have had the worst PMS symptoms ever. I really feel I could kill someone and not feel like I had done anything wrong! I've been starting arguments with my husband, for no reason, and I'm not an argumentative person at all.

I had started to wonder if the implant was to blame, and last week when I was at the doctors she asked how I was getting on with it, and when I told her she didn't seem at all surprised.

My only worry now is if I do come off it, what contraceptive can I use instead as I have tried so many and none of them agree with me. Well I say none, but I was on Cerazette and that worked fine for me, but unfortunately I moved from the UK to Australia and Cerazette is not available here.  
I had the implant inserted 2 and a half years ago. After insertion, for about 6 months i had constant on & off bleeding but after that i had no bleeding at all, til this day. I sometimes get sharp stomach pains but i don't think that is due to the rod. As for anxiety and depression,i was diagnosed with this before i had the implanon inserted and ever since i've had it i have noticed i am a lot more emotionally stable and don't care about things as much as other women do. It sounds a little silly but i have adopted a mens mentality in a way, i am not sensitive at all. As for my sex drive, it seems to be just fine. I am thinking about getting the implanon replaced now and hopefully not experience the same side effects(bleeding) as i did in the beginning.
hi everyone im 25 years old. i have been suffering with anxiety and depression for 4 years now.when i first started experiencing anxiety and depression i was really bad and in a bad way. with a year or so of counselling i have managed to get it under control. recently a few month ago i had the implant fitted due to me having a really bad period and i was also scared of getting pregnant. things were ok at first but now 4 month later i am feeling really anxious and depressed again. i am also having intrusive thoughts. i think it has something to do with the implant because i havent felt like this in other 3 yrs. the doctor is putting it down to stress, but i have had lots of stressful periods over the years but it has never caused me to be this bad. the only thing that has changed is that i have had this implant put in. i have an appiontment on monday to speak to the doctor and i know she is going to persuade me into keeping it in and giving it a try but i am not having none of it i want it out, just to see if there will be a difference in my anxiety and depression.
I'm 16 and I've had the implant for nearly a year now. When I first had the implant fitted a week later I had a constant period for about 7 months non stop, then my periods swapped round and I had 3 weeks on my period and one week off. This happened for ages then I stopped and I've recently started again. Through out the year I have experienced depression, I have been getting help via the doctor as I was having suicidal thought's and started to self harm. I was blaming everyone else for my depression, It never occurred to me that it could of been my implantation, I've had no history of depression or anything like that and randomly out of no where it just appears and is extremely server. I'm in a new relationship and because of my mood swings anxiety and depression we seem to always be arguing which causes me to feel more depressed. I Don't know what to do as the implant is there to prevent me from getting pregnant and if I have the pill I will forget to take it constantly as I do with my hay fever medicine, any suggestions?

I'm 17 years old and I had the implant fitted a year in an half ago, I got it removed 2days ago because I have been very ill during these last 6 months.. at the start of getting the implant it was a great thing but my periods where all over the place and as horrible as this sounds it was like a weird brown colour sometimes or sometimes dark and sometimes normal, anyway they finally stopped and I was so happy but one day I just went really ill and lost all my energy and felt like I was going to past out and got neverours for no reason and couldn't face going out with friends I felt like I going mental doctors didn't know what was wrong with me I had panic attacks, dizziness and ringing in the ears they sent me for blood tests also a MIR it was the most scaryest thing ever, anyway the result came back and everything was normal. I felt like giving up theres obvs something wrong with me :( they then said I have anxiety .. gave me tablets like hell did they work! I looked up the implant and found so many similar comments so I have had it removed I still don't feel any better yet I know its only been 2days but I hope to god this is the reason why I am feeling like this :( please someone comment if this gets any better.

thank you xx
Samantha,
I am getting to the point where I cant go out and be with friends and I get scared for no reason I have to push myself to do things and its so hard and scary feeling I have had my implant out 2days now anyone know how long it will take to get my normal life back :'(
i am on my 4th implant now.been using them for 11 years and i think they are the best form of contraceptive there is!everytime mine is due to be removed,i have my new implant put in at the same time.i would never use any other contraceptive now.i havent had a single problem with mine.my periods stopped completely,which i like.havent had one single side effect from it.i am tired constantly but i felt like this before i had my first implant put in.i would reccomend the implant the implant to anybody.in fact a lot of my friends are using it now and they are all fine on it too.from reading a lot of the comments on here and the side e ffects people describe e.g anxiety,mood swings,irritability,suicidal thoughts, it would seem yous are all suffering from depression or some kind of psychological disorder.u need anti depressants,not the implant taking out.a lot of women reading this who are thinking of having the implant will be really put off by the misleading comments on here which is a shame as the implant would probably be a great choice for them.i know its not suitable for everybody but i for one am very pleased with it and have had no problems whatsoever with it for the last 11 years.thanks for reading!
I too am on my 3rd implant.i am 28 and had tried the pill and other forms of contraception with extreme side effects- the injection for example gave me and other members of my family more problems then they were worth- i have  found the implant is the best form of contraception and believe me apart from the coil I have had them all. yes every form of contraception has its draw backs and has side effects like other medication does and everyone's body acts differently which is why they give you the leaflets when making a decision of this nature and in them it does warn of the side effects that most people have mentioned. what i would say is read them people and make an informed decision also  my local health authority will not supply this contraception to under 16's because of these side effects so slightly confused as to why 14's and 15's year olds have this implant- it actually says they are not suitable for those ages.

so to summerise- the implant will have different effects on different people like with any medication. i have found no problems really with it - in fact no periods for 3 months is a good thing- in all my 3 implants. also would not suggest for under 16s since my medical authority does not supply it to this age range.

hope this helps.
Glad to hear a positive recovery! Women's health issues around reproduction are so ignored by the general medical community, even female doctors!  There is a great website by a UBC Doctor Jerrilyn Prior @ http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/ that explains so much!  I got off the pill bc of risk of stroke (on many meds with that risk, plus weight, arrhythmia, scar tissue in veins, etc) and got so overly emotional I wanted to die. I was ranting non stop, picking fights, smashing belongings, and had the heaviest menstruation of my life; thought I was bleeding to death!  The CEMCOR website is really informative, all women should check it out.  Re IBS; have u tried probiotics?  Seem 2 work 4 me, also helpful for BV  
I've had the implant for six months ad before that I was on the mini pill, and I've been experiencing some serious mood swings. My boyfriend broke up with me twice because of it. I thought it was just me but I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one having this problem and that it's probably the implant that's doing it. I will definitely be having it removed. I've never been like this before, but I've only just made the connection that it was when I started using contraceptives. Severe mood swings, feelings of insecurity, cryin at the stupidest things, sometimes I can be really happy and the next I've hit a low. I went out the other night drinking with my friend and I had a really good time. As I was walking home however, I had an emotional break down, something which had never happened to me before! I'm glad I found this page though, I thought I was the only one it was happening to!
Definitely be getting it removed!
I have implanon for about 3 weeks now. I have Always suffered with depression and anxiety, but now it's just horrible. I don't want to leave my house; I'm so paranoid and anxious. I cry all the time and have horrible worrying thoughts. My hair is beginning to fall out more than usual and I have a general uneasy feeling all the time. I would not recommend this for anyone that already has anxiety or depression.
Hello, All I want to say is everyone is different.. on this thread people arent all from the same friendship group and probs a percentage which have been scattered all over the country. I know people with the implant who have been fine and are on there second one... however I also know a handful of people that havent. Ive had the implant in for 2 and a half years and other then scattered periouds and spotting I thought i was fine. However i started becoming really aggressive and having irratable problems with anyone close to me. my boyfriend for instance is an amazing person and he literally would have done anything for me but anything he did would make me so angry and make me want to cry cos i found him so annoying. ontop of that i blamed my spotting for lack of sex drive.. whenever my boyfriend would touch me i felt so irratated and upset and would just pretend to sleep.I broke up with him and put it down to growing out of love; however now ive had the implant out all my friends have seen such a significant change in my mood and i cant stop thinking about sex so its safe to say my sex drive has come back. In some instances some people may be suffering from depression but the change in me as a person since having it taken out has been so drastic, its important people are aware of the mental changes the implant can do.. because it has ruined my life and perfect relationship.
i am 15 and had it for 6 months. i have been crying all the time, headaches for the past week, and my heart is going crazy. i dont know how to tell my parents without being a hypochondriac, or just 'over reacting'. i hate the implanon and i want it OUT! i havent had my period in 4 of the 6 months. and i feel like im going crazy. i dont know how to get everything under control and try to calm myself down... please help... im so desperate! :'(
I am having mine out today and will report back on if it was the implant causing the depression/anxiety/tearfulness, or if it was unrelated. I am really not sure as it was fine for the first 2.5 years, but the last 6 months I have been a wreck. I am hopeful it is the implant because then at least there will be an answer, rather than actually having to deal with depression. I have been unable to sleep, anxious, heart racing, depressed about my job, social life and future, unable to feel happy even when doing fun things or with friends, I just feel disconnected and not at all myself. I am so hopeful that having the implant out will let me feel like myself again, even a few months is too long to be feeling this way.
I have only had my implant for a couple of months. I am so fed up of crying for no reason but especially when I am with my partner. I was such a fun loving person and love to laugh. but all I do now is feel sorry for myself and cry like a baby without any particular triggers. Not happy ! Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. Helps to know I'm not going totally mad all by myself.
I have had the implant for 3 months and since having it fitted I have bled constantly, have horrendous acne on my face, chest and back, and have become unbelievably depressive. I have changed from someone who was so laid back and happy to a highly strung, stressed to the max, b*tch. The funny thing is, I am completely aware of it but there is nothing I can do. It's like a fog has descended and nothing can clear it. I know the acne is contributing to my bad moods - I was invited to a costume party this evening and was meant to be meeting a good friend for dinner but I have cancelled both. I don't want to leave my house looking like I do. I have never felt like this before in my life and it is terrifying. I am scared I'm going to go to my doctor and they will just prescribe more drugs rather than allowing me to have the implant removed. I think I'm going to make an appointment for monday :(. Has anyone else had problems convincing their doctor to take it out?!
ive had the rod in for 2 and a half years, I just don't feel like my self any more, I thought I was going insane, I am glad im not the only one, I am not my self any more. im being a monster to my boyfriend when hes done nothing wrong I feel so guilty, some time I cant control it! I just don't feel like doing nothing no more, nothing interest me, I even force my self to go to sleep wen I wake up in the morning because I cnt face another day like it, plus not having a job dosent help just makes it worse. my mood swings are extreme and I get hot flushes like pin pricks on my neck wen I go out, I want to be able to tell my boyfriend but I don't think he will understand and he will fink im a geek lol , I cry every day, iv put on 4 stone,i could go on all day. im guna go to docs 2mora and explain even tho I will feel embarraest, women should get know the side affects of the rod, doctors just want you to have it because to many young girls are having children, they don't tell you the affects I have even got a bad skin rash round my neck and back due to stress,  
It's unbelievable how many women this contraceptive implant is affecting, and all in the same way! I've felt like a different person since January this year. At first, the Implanon was fine, I felt fine and even my boyfriend noticed how fine I was feeling! But from around the time I had my Implanon put in, I went through a lot of emotional bullying from my boyfriend's mother and both of his parents made me feel so low and worthless. I lost weight purely from stress. For months, I've not known whether I've been depressed because of how they made me feel or whether the implant has made those feelings of anger towards my bf's mum stronger or whether it's just the implant alone! I have the feeling that I may have to take the thing out soon because I feel like I've made such little progress in getting over the bullying that I went through.

I bled everyday for almost 10 months. The lovely nurses at the clinic were so sympathetic, but prescribed me 2 different types of contraceptive pills to take with the implant still in. It just got worse... I felt nauseous, sick and so upset that I would scream. The bleeding stopped eventually on it's own, and it seemed like things were ok. But then my moods have been unbelievable, and I thought that it was more than hormones because I've felt suicidal and also like I could really hurt the ones I love. And I feel so guilty. I haven't wanted to be around my friends and I have irrational thoughts such as "she isn't really working on my birthday, she's just not wanting to see me."

I feel like I can't talk to people a lot of the time. I used to be able to call people up to ask for information on some things, but now I just hope that they have an email address so that I won't have to speak to anyone.

I'm taking this thing out asap! Thank you to all of you who have shared your experiences. I think that this has made me think about everything so much clearer and now I know that I'm not alone.
I was pleased to find a recent post on this subject!  I had the implant put in after my second child in August 2009. My periods became unbareable. I had to take the mini pill for six months as I bled constantly.  I became bitter and moody and my husband almost left me as he couldn't take any more. Then things got worse, I started having panic attacks and severe anxiety. Go diagnosed as gad and postnatal depression. 4 years on with 2nd implant I still suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. My husband stuck with me thank goodness.  After reading this topic I do wonder if the implant could be the cause of all this heartache. I have asked my go if the implant is the cause but he says not!  I'm not so sure now. I have the other side affects like feeling like I'm pregnant and having period symptoms but not period.  I am thinking of having a third baby so might have the implant removed, it will be interesting to see if there is any change to my life of anxiety :/
I just wanted to add that period wise things are better as I only have the odd one now.  Why if there are so many women all over the world suffering from anxiety and panic attacks since having the implant do doctors not find a connection???????  I will let you know how I feel when I get this implant removed!!
Viewing 201-400 comments:
This discussion was closed by MedHelp moderators.
Nighthawk61 commented on So much ambition, so ...
42 mins ago
Spectrals added the Sleep Tracker
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...