Can the contraceptive implant implanon cause anxiety and depression?
I have had the implanon now for 2 years and since then have experienced 6 month cycles of extreme depression and anxiety followed by periods where i return to my normal happy mood and behaviour.  For the last month I have been feeling hightened level of anxitey, which have caused social withdrawal, and fellings of sadness and depression. Most worringly, recently i have had thoughts of self harming.

I couldn't seem to put my finger on why I was feeling this way, and till tonight, hadn't considered the possibility that it could be the implanon. I have done some brief reseach and found that the implanon can cause depression, but I am concerned can it completely explain the reason for my extreme long-term changes in mood, or is there something more deep routed?
omg im sooo glad i found this website i thought i was goin off my head i ad the implant in 4 nearly 3yrs now and av sufferd frm panick attacks n feeling sicky everyday depresstion u name it  i thought it was just me i avoided goin out just incase i ad another panick attack it ruiend my life im so glad that im not the only 1 thats going through this and that i am normal finaly aving the implant out nxt wk thank god never eva again thinking ov aving the injection but guna look it 2 it propaly this time. good luck peepz xx
I think that's probably a very good idea.  But please try to keep in touch and let people on here know how you do when you get it taken out.  Best of luck to you!  :)
I'm so glad i found this site as it has answered some of the questions i've been asking myself for sometime. I got the implant in 8 months ago and my whole personality has changed from when i got it in. I'm suffering from really bad mood swings, depression and sucidal thoughts. I thought i was just feeling low after breaking up with my boyfriend and the stress of my university work but having found this site i'm sure that it has to do with the implant. Getting it out ASAP!!
oh my god. to finally find this blog. wow. i had the implanon inserted about 3 years ago, and ever since, my life has changed so much. I am naturally an outgoing person, who loves life and never used to get anxious about the slightest of things. about 2 months after the implant went in, i had my first panic attack, i thought i was dying and had no idea what it was. this was followed by THREE YEARS of anxiety issues, on and off different medications, bad thoughts, feelings of hopelessness and depression. Girls if anyone out there is THINKING about having it taken out -DO IT NOW. as i write this i have made an appointment to have it removed...there is too much evidence for it to be a coincence. Implanon may not affect everyone negatively, but for those of us who it does/has effected, it is the worst decision i ever made. girls, get it removed and get back your lives. i will post again in a week so see if i feel any better.
ive had the implant in for two and a half weeks, and though it isnt nearly as long as some of you had had it in for i think ive been getting the side effects already! ive never suffered with depression before, ive not got any major reason to become depressed. however the last few days ive been feeling so increadily down and distant, i feel like im not in the moment and that im compleatly disconnected. im starting to feel vey nervous, even though i have nothing to be nervous about and ive been having dreams about death, the first one being that i had been caught in a train crash, then the same re-occuring dream about jumping off a cliff then i wake up crying. at points in the day i just feel like bursting into tears and usually i harderly ever cry. i think i might leave it for a few more days and then consult my doctor :/
Hey,

If your feeling like this after only a few weeks I would get it taken out. Its awful feeling like that. I've been having dream like the ones you are having. It has to be the implant that is making so many women feel this way. Give yourself a few days and see how you feel. If you dont feel any better get in touch with your doc and get it out.

I am so glad I discovered this site also.  I have had a rather mixed experience with Implanon. I first started using it back in 2003 and had no period for almost three years and thought it was great - I managed to go backpacking for 12 months with no problems or hassles.  I then had another re-inserted in 2006 (after a few months break).  However I then had my third re-inserted in October 2009 and I have found that I have had more than regular periods every 1-2 weeks, have been experiencing severe achne and moodiness.  I don't know why my body seems to have suddenly had such a reaction, but I am now scheduling to have it removed by my GP.  

BTW my first two implanons were inserted in Australia and the third was inserted in the UK.  However I recently moved US and my GP was surprised that I was using Implanon - they no longer recommended in the US due to the number of women with bad side effects - I had no idea, but thought this information is pretty useful to know.
hey guys i have had the implant in for almost 3 years now and i am kinda worried that i might be pregnant im just wondering if it can weaken itself?
i have had no problems with the implant at all well apart from a little bit of weight gain but i lost that ages ago
so does anyone no if the implant weakens itself? thanks
Hey.  I am 15 and had the implant around 6 months ago.  Unlike the normal cycle where I would have a period for a couple of days and then no period for around 28 days I am now having periods for up to 3 months and around a week break in between.  My parents have also seen a great change in me.  I have lost roughly 2 stone within less than 2 months.  I'm 5 ft 3 and was a healthy weight of over 9 and a half stone and am now weighing under 7 and a half stone.  Unlike before when I would be constantly munching on some sort of food, I now have no appetite what so ever.  I am worried that this could lead to an eating disorder such as anorexia.  My parents say that I look really ill and seem to be fed up all the time.  They have even asked me if I am taking drugs.  My personallity has also changed.  I have driven all my friends away and have no social life.  I've got a long term boyfriend and am also driving him away.  I don't want to leave the house.  The thought of going anywhere makes me feel sick and I have hot flushes and sweaty palms.  I also feel like I am going to pass out.  My boyfriend is also getting worried because of the fact that I am always upset and just want to cry for no reason.  My main problem is the anxiety because it is affecting my social life hugely.  I do not feel nervous but as soon as I know I have to go somewhere I start to feel sick and find it difficult to breathe.  Do you think that the implant could be causing this?  I would be really grateful for your help, thankyou.
hey im 23, this is my 2nd implant i had the last 1 in for year and felt fine. then had it removed for about a year then had a new 1 in.

im starting to feel the same way i did with the 1st one after a year. sick, moody, sluggish. i havn't had a period for a year now. but im worried that its makin me feel down. i want a good long term contraceptive. is the IUD sore?
Yes, the implant does weaken itself, it lets out less and less hormone throughout the 3 years, if you think you may be pregnant I would definatley get it checked out as it may be a possibility.

After reading all the info on this site it seems that a lot of people have had a really bad time, I've had mine in for coming up a year and haven't felt suicidal, depressed or anxious.

I will admit that after I had it inserted for the first 2/3 months I was very hormonal but it seems to have settled down although lately I have been rather moody but I think it's more to do with work stress etc.

I WOULD recommend the implant to other people as long as you don't already have any outstanding issues/feeling depressed etc as if you don't you usually start to feel yourself after a while.

I hope all the negative comments dont put anyone off getting the implant because unless you try it you will never really know how it will affect you.
i am so glad i found this i got the implant in october and to start with i was fine then about a month i just didnt feel myself i went to the college conciler to talk about things and thought is was me just feeling depressed this has been lasting for 6 months i feel tired cant get out of bed cant sleep eat lots then eat a little amout . At christmas my weight went down to 7 stone the smallest i have ever been . i have been having horrible panic attacks about death and i just feel inhuman its horrible. on the days i dont feel anxious i feel depressed and there is an extreme shift from holding on to life to not caring about life . It is upseting me and taking over my life. I am worried that if i go to my doctor he wont listen !!!!!!!!!!!!! does anyone no if this sounds like the side effects to the implanon

i an only 19 and yet i am so scared all the time or just feel like there is no point
please help
i am 27 yrs old had my implant in 3yrs nearly its due to be changed in july this yr! 4past 2yrs my g.p has put me on deparessant pills god nos how may different ones but ive felt like  people want to kill me! or harm my family, had dreams about death? the world ending? sounds very silly i no but sinc ive loged on to this site it all makes senc? its due to the implanon! oh so i think ive had tests done on my heart because of fast heart rate! all come bk clear? so my g.p put it down to anxity and panic attacks? ive ws a smoker 4over 12yrs and packed all that up because i thought i was goin 2die? im goin to my local family planing clinc 2maz 2have this removed and see how my life improves? because for the past 3mths ive been feeling sick,dizzy,faint,fast heart rate, difficult in breathing if i go out? my life is not the same enymore!!! my g.p makes me feel like im stupid and dont no what im talking about so he will just up my dose of pills or give me new1s!!!!!!!! well no more i will go and get this thing out and will report bk in 1wks time n let every1 no how i am i just soooooooo hope i get my lovely bubbly self bk and can enjoy my life and kids
I cant believe there is so many woman saying mostly same symptoms of this stupid implant iv had mine nealry 2 yrs and i have a happy life 2 kids getting married a nice house yet i feel down, get soooo moody, NO sex dive wat so ever, major panic attacks, iv never had any of this before i had this in iv always been a happy person and never let things bother me now i feel like i have no confidence and my patience is so low with my children i hate myself for it. I am getting the thing out today!! I cant wait to feel myself again! Iv been to docs about panic attacks and they gave me diazepam they calmed me down but it was still there, i think its where the implant releases certain hormones in our bodys and it must heighten at certain times making us feel worse! i fell pregnant twice on the pill cos i kept forgetting it but i tell u now id rather have a million kids than feel the way i have the last few months!!
wow what can i say???!!!!!! i have had the implant in for nearly 3 yr and to be honest i have been wondering for a while if all my symptoms were related to this thing, but i haven't really got around to doing anything about it as it's due to be taken out in October this yr anyway, but now i'm seriously thinking of having it taken out NOW!! When i first had it put in i thought it was great my periods stopped straight away ( and who wouldn't be pleased about that) i mean straight away with in 2 days, but then within a couple of months i can't remember the time scale exactly i started to feel so down and depressed, I've never been ott happy and have had my down  moments but before i had this fitted i was doing really well with everything i had gotten rid of a very abusive partner and my 2 kids and me were doing great i was now with someone who is absolutely brilliant we've been together nearly 3yrs and he has put up with everything, since i I've had this thing put in, I've gone from being happy and fun likes having a laugh and he made me feel like a teenager in love again it was brill!!, to someone who was always crying about something didn't really wanna do anything, always felt like harming my self in some way and was so depressed it's unreal.
Also at the same time that all this started i had other side affects too. such as SEVERE headaches i mean ones that would knock me out with the pain, throwing up all the time gaining at least 3 stone in weight after i had worked so hard to drop 3/4 dress sizes and this did not help the depression side of things, i started loosing my hair from the top of my scalp it was truly horrendous!! after a yr i wanted to have it out but i was told to stick with it a bit longer so i did and like i said I've had it in nearly 3 yrs now, and yes the loosing my hair has stopped thank god but i still get really bad spots sometimes and the depression side oh and the anxiety i was diagnosed with is still there although as the time is getting closer for me having it taken out the depression has eased which very much leads me to think it's because of this thing in me, if it releases less hormone as the time goes on as i have read in so many of these comments then it's gotta be that cause i was nothing like this before!!
I am so desperate to get back to my normal self and we  really want to have another baby together but i don't want to be like this when we do because it's horrible, if anyone reading this can  relate then i'm glad because it means your not alone and there are a lot more of us like this don't loose hope just GET IT REMOVED and hopefully then we can all get back to normal!!
Hi all,

I got the implanon fitted 10 months ago. at first I though it was ok, but my nurse said periods should even out, stick with it for 6 months as one in 5 womens periods will stop altogether. This sounded like heaven to me as I always had probs with mine, and the pill messed with my hormones (resulting in me not taking it for a week, then falling pregnant with my daughter). so I did stick with it. and after about 2 months they stopped! then 3 months later I got one, which was very light and hardly at all. then another 3 months later, another one which got worse, with some in between every few days. Then all of a sudden after 10 months I have had the worst 2 week period ever. My hormones seemed not to change at all at first but lloking back I now see how I have got to this point quite rapidly. I have 3-4 days every week of not wanting to be me, of feeling like my partner does not want me or love me( even though we are totally in love) I feel like I can't cope and I want to cry all the time. I try to talk to him but dont get much response from him, whcih makes me withdraw a bit more.
I struggle to find the energy to play with my 2 year old daughter who needs so much attention as she is so clever. I also just feel myself on edge, and able to snap at the smallest thing eg, if little one spills her drink. I have been having bouts of terrible dreams about bad things, that make me feel sad and totally confused and lost when I wake. last night I had a dream my little girl had been taken, and was running iinto every room looking for her, I then woke up in her room standing by her cot with hearrt palpitations, to see her there, asleep all cosy. My partner was not staying at my house and I was also scraed not to find him there. when I wake I dont feel like I have had any sleep (for the last 2 weeks) and feel very detached almost numb and lonely. and this has all been building up over 10 months, happening from 1-2 days a week and now I have had it since this period started 2 weeks ago. I want this out of my arm. It is not worth it for me, when I doon't need contraception of this level. The doctor seems to think there is no proof that it is the implanon causing all this, and  linked it to when I previously suffered depression (although was not treated for it as it was not 'clinical' depression). Immediatley he linked it with when I had my daughter ( had an emotionally terrible pregnancy, a terrible labour-emerg c section, then being treated very badly by my ex).  Although I was still having counselling for some months after the implanon was fitted, i can tell the difference now between emotional depression and hormonal depression. the two feel very different to someone who has experience both. And I was happy to stop couselling about 6  months ago. I have come to the conclussion it must be this,  there are so many of you who have felt the exact same way, tomorow I'm getting it removed.
Hope this helps someone as you have all helped me x
This is mental, I had the implant in about five months ago and went totally manic, and was diagnosed as bipolar and sent to a young persons mental health unit!

they said I was fine but I couldn't sleep was self harming! buying up paracetamol and acting crazy (very unlike me) and going really wild, I went back to the doctors and they gave me mood stabilizers which knocked me out (I have two small children and this was really dangerous) so I am now going private to have CBT,

then my husband looked up the implant and said it could mess with your moods, I was desperate, so I went and had it removed that night, got to the walk in centre at half seven but had to see two doctors and a nurse before I convinced them I needed it out but they insisted on giving me the depo injection at the same time!!!!! Talk about torture,

Even the next day I slept heavily and was back down to earth three days later i am still recovering from the massive high and destructive behavior, I am so furious, we all really have to shout about this....
My daughter who is 16 had the implanon inserted a year ago.  About 6 months after having it inserted, she started having severe anxiety attacks and clinical depression. Most recently, her episodes have included suicidal thoughts with attempts to take her life.  She is an emotional wreck and at an all time low.  No one, let alone a child, should have to experience this type of mental anguish.  She suffered with mild depression but nothing to this extreme, just dealing with your typical teenage problems.  She has resulted to cutting herself to relieve the pain, and have been in and out of mental facilities because she is unstable and we have yet to identify the root cause. When your daughter tells you, she does not know what is causing her to feel this way, as a mother I felt that I had to do something.  I know what and how she used to act and this has totally been out of character for her.  We have done everything to rule out other possible causes… She is drug and alcohol free.  Nonetheless, the only variable that I could think of was the insertion of Implanon.  After reading the many posts of others, I have decided to have the implant removed to see if it makes a difference in her mood.  In the process, I called and spoke with her GYN who advised that if you are suffering from mild depression the estrogen in the implanon could cause depression to worsen. Therefore, I urge anyone who is seeking the use of Implanon to do his or her research first.  
So glad i'm not the only one i've had it in for nearly three years now. i got the acne on my back around my mouth... mental bleeding patterns... can be on for like nearly two week heavily... first year or so i was fine didn't have any problems... but now i just feel horrendous, and can only put it down to this peice of Sh*t!

I have just met a wonderful fantastic guy and he is really kind to me... but oh no it doesn't stop me from being paranoid insecure and accusing him of stupid stuff... then i feel like i'm becoming needy and then cold.. i bet he is wondering what the hell he is getting himself into, because i know i would...  i feel really ugly, numb, fat etc I tried to commit suicide a few months ago... (had a bit of a bad relationship - but then again i was accusing him as well, got constantly jealous etc) drove him away and then tried to kill myself... i am on anti depressants and i read somewhere that this can conflict with the implanon. I am now waking up on my fella or may even be exfella now's couch... after yet another row with my new man, i get up and want to storm off in tthe middle of the night with no money living 40 miles away (i know) :\ ... there is just something inside that snaps and i fly of the handle at the littlest things.. the only thing i can think of is this godamned implant, oh and it hurts at the site too and i really want to make love to my new fella but i just cannot orgasm and feel like i'm not good enough. :( I just want to know if anyone else has been through a similar thing to me, and it there has been removal of it, have you become better or are we naturally insane ....from a 25 year frustrated and tired aching female :( huff huff huff lol. x
Im so glad i have found this site!
Since having the implanon fitted 9 months ago, i have had constant headaches and anxiety.
Its so bad i've convinced myself i am dying and i am only 18 years old.
I have had a headache for 3 months so far everyday.
My anxiety is everyday aswell.
I want my implant out but the doctors keep saying "see how it goes"

i was just wondering if the implanon can actually cause all this??

Charlii
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Jade59 commented on NA
3od commented on A very inspiring colu...
TimeaBerta commented on A very inspiring colu...
Dec 14