Can't breathe..
I've had this problem for a few months now, I don't know wether It's anxiety related because I am finding it hard to get proper medical help. I can't Inhale fully, (get a satisfying breathe) It's like everytime I try to inhale I am having to use all my strenght to try and get a good, proper breathe. Because I am trying so hard to just BREATHE I am really hurting myself, around my heart area it feels like I am pulling a muscle. everytime I go to my doctor or local hospital I am told it's anxiety/panic attacks, and I'm finding it hard to be taken seriously, seens as I am only 18. This isnt a sudden thing. this is everyday from the second I wake up to the second I go to sleep, which is why I think it could be something else, and not just anxiety.. Even though I've been going into A&E on and off for the past 5 months because my breahing gets that bad, I have ONLY had a ECG and a XRAY.. My breathing, and throat, and muscles in my back (my back is sometimes uncomfortable, not painful) have not been checked.. because my problem is always just shrugged off. I'm on diazepam 2mg for when I feel anxious, though I rarely take them because I am anxious about taking medication in the first place. my GP has prescribed me fluoxetine (prozac) 20mg but I don't feel as If I am currently in the right mind state to be taking something which could potentially make me suidical, or make me feel worse then I already do. I don't care about anixety, or panic attacks.. I just want to be able to breathe again, because this has ruined my life.
Does anyone have this? has anyone recovered from this? ways to help? what can I do?
Hi,i do think ur symptoms are more likely from anxiety,your ecg and chest xray are clear and if necessary you can ask for a referal to a cardiologist for an echo or 24 hour holter where they can do more further investigations.i been where you are as after my 1 st panic attack i have anxiety the whole month where i couldnt breathe sensation and been in and out of a&e so many times where the doc couldnt find anything wrong.try to take it easy and if you really have real breathing issues the a&e wouldnt have let you off as they can measure your oxygen level by a pulse oximeter and that simple test somtimes can indicate ur oxygen level in ur body
Anxiety very frequently causes the symptoms you describe. It's very common.
Anxiety can be a very serious problem and the physical problems you are exeriencing are the best evidence of that.  Anxiety has many causes and no one does it to themselves.
If the doctors told you it was something else would you follow their advice?  
I think everyone that suffers from anxiety goes thru a 'denial stage' where they'd rather be told they have cancer then hear anxiety or depression.   It's typical of the condtion and one of the main obstacles to getting help.  
You have absolutely nothing to lose by following up on what your doctors have told you and seeking good anxiety treatment.  See a good psychiatrist and  get a specialist opinion about what's happening to you.  They will explore every possibility for what's happening to you.
Having anxiety does NOT mean you are crazy and may be caused by any number of things.
See a specialist for this problem will bring you to the quickest and best resolution possible.
Let us know how you make out and how we can help.
Thanks for the advice, I am currently on the waiting list to see a psychiatrist, I've been told I could be waiting for another 6 weeks. I'm also trying to see a private psychiatrist, because I don't think I can wait 6 weeks.. but either way it's going to take time. just got to find ways to cope till then! any ideas what the best medication to help me would be? thanks again. x