Anxiety Community
Celexa and Klonipin(klonopin)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Celexa and Klonipin(klonopin)

I just started 20 mg of generic Celexa (3 days ago) and the doc also gave me Ambien and Klonopin (take .25mg) to relieve the anxiety until the Celexa kicks in. I wake up shaky/hot and kind of panicky. Which drug is this from drugs, or is it still the anxiety. I know this takes time, but I don't want to mess with any drugs that might be making the symptoms worse (i.e Klonopin or Ambien). I also don't want to become dependent on the Klonopin and ambien either. My question is when will this madness stop? I so depressed about all this. I just want my old life back (it was fine 5 months ago). Will I need all three of these to feel normal or will the Celexa do the trick in a few weeks? Please help.
i am not a doctor but i wouldnt take ambien. you dont really wanna be on all of those drugs. the celexa usually takes 2 weeks to get into your system and you will feel a difference. waking up like that is just anxiety. the best way to get rid of it is to find a way that helps you relax. you dont always need drugs to do that. id recomend seeing someone who can teach you how to calm your body down, like deep breathing and excersize a lot so that when you do fall asleep you will be exausted and wont need ambien and wont wake up in the night in a panic. but if u do wake up do to a panic attack dont be afraid it cannot hurt you. all of us in here are going thru the same thing. u have to just relax and fall back asleep. turn the tv on to get your mind off of it or find a way that works best for you. everyone is different. i wish you the best of luck with this. but u have to belive your life will be back to how it was you just have to controll your anxiety.
ssris can cause night sweats, Celexa is particularly known for this.  It should go away with time, but these meds affect everyone differently.
The Ambien should only be used short term, like a few weeks as you adjust to the Celexa.  Celexa is one of the medications that can cause some bothersome initial side effects. The good news is, if you stick it out, they WILL most likely start to diminish after a few weeks.  You also have to give the Celexa a MINIMUM of 4-6 weeks to truly judge its effectiveness for you.  In most people, an improvement is noticed before that timeframe, but it is still important to try to remain patient and not throw in the towel before you have really noticed how its working for you.

Personally, I prefer the short-acting (and short-term) benzos like Ativan or Xanax over Klonopin to be used for the purpose of controlling the initial side effects of these meds, simply because Klonopin itself can take a while to build up and become effective, whereas the short-acting benzos work much quicker,k and are more appropriate used as a "rescue" med.  Of course, they should only be used while you are waiting for the side effects of the Celexa to dissipate, but they can be very valuable when starting an antidepressant med that has a reputation for some initial side effects.

MY opinion would be to use the Ambien for a week or two if you need it, and ask your doc about perhaps switching to a short-acting benzo in place of the Klonopin.  You may even be able to use the short-acting benzo on an "as needed" basis at bedtime, to help with your sleep instead of the Ambien.  If the Celexa for some reason doesnt work for you (after you've given it ample time of course)...then a long-acting medication like Klonopin, dosed twice daily could be considered as a monotherapy for you, rather than using several different meds.  The more meds added to the mix, the tricker things sometimes become, b/c it is hard to judge which med is causing what effect (good OR bad).

Just some things for you to talk with your doctor about.  Try to hang in there...you won't feel like this forever!
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
37 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on OctoberMommy2014's status
53 mins ago
travel_melb commented on travel_melb's status
1 hr ago