Anxiety Community
Celexa making anxiety worse

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Celexa making anxiety worse

I have a hard time with meds....Finally the doc thinks I have an anxiety disorder, after thinking originally it was a mood disorder. What he calls hypomania,  racing heart, agitation, fear, panic and intrusive worried thoughts-not pleasant at all.

So he started me on Celexa. The first day I felt too good, like it was a miracle drug, and I got worried, so I cut back to 5 mg and this overwhelming anxiety hit and I had to take a Klonopin on day 3. Someone said that with some SSRI's anxiety can occurr in the beginnning. This scared me.  Has anyone else had this experience. I want this to work because I am not happy with this anxiety and panic. If this is true, why would the anxiety get worse before it improves. Should I hang in there?   Help
Usually these meds do not start working the first day. So I think what you were feeling on the first day was maybe a placebo effect. Yes, your anxiety can be a little worse in the beginning. It can be you body getting used to the meds or you being scared about starting a new med. You could talk to your Dr about staying on 5 mgs and working your way back up to 10 mgs if you feel comfortable with that. Side effects, like anxiety, usually go away so you might want to hang in there. You do have Klonopin just in case. Remar
I agree with the post above. there are side affects when starting a med, but I would definitely talk with the doctor about it though. If you are sensitive to meds like I am, sometimes you have to be on smaller doses, but only the doctor can make that decision.
I did take Prozac, 20 mg and Serzone before it was removed from the market- for depression, but that was when it was mostly depression and I did not notice the anxiety portion. When I went back on Prozac a year ago after 3 days I had such anxiety that I almost ended up in the er. That is why the doc said to start slow at 10 mg. I started at 5mg.
I think that the first day, taking 10mg, I had a serotoniun surge, so I cut back to 5.
Today is a new day, and I pray I will not have to leave work to go to my car to take 2.5 mg of Klonopin. I am deathly afraid of benzos, as they are so highly addictive. THat is why I ONLY allow myself 2.5 mg.
I will take your advice and talk to the doc if it continues. Saturday, I plan to move up to 10 mg.
In my experience with SSRIs like Celexa it actually increased my anxiety for a couple of weeks.  It was probably a combination of my anxiety about taking the med along with physical symptoms as my body adjusted to it.  I really started to see the benefit after 3-4 weeks.  Klonopin is a benzo that is usually prescribed more long term and I believe it is usually not taken on an as needed basis.  Ensure you are taking it as prescribed because it does have a long half life and needs to 'build up' in your system.  I have taken it in the past, and also found it helpful while going through counseling...keep us posted!
I was taking 5 mg of Celexa and felt pretty good for 2 days and went up to about 8 mg. I cut the pills with a razor blade, and I have some dizziness and some anxiety that is manageable. I think I must be super sensitive to SSRI's or perhaps I do have a bit of a mood disorder. It is said that one must proceed slowly if that is the case for fear of serotonin surge.  My goal is to get to 10 mg, without resorting to Klonopin...using the Visteril at night.
It pisses me off that everyone I know, can just take a Prozac without a problem, but I have to go through medication HELL. :)
ok- I am now up to 20 mg of Celexa and my anxiety has tapered off...also less depressed, but I am dizzy and lightheaded....It has only been about 2 and a half weeks that I have been on it.
Has anyone else experienced this, and does it go away? Other than that, no other symptoms but some insomnia.
It just occured to me that the dizziness started the am after I took Trazodone for sleep. I am wondering if the dizziness is really from the Trazodone and not the Celexa...I think I will not take it tonight. Interested in what you folks think....Please respond...:)
Jade59 commented on stilltrying1965's status
Avatar n tn
steve263 commented on A very inspiring colu...
30th June
12 hrs ago by char1234vass
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms