Anxiety Community
Celexa or Prozac? PLEASE HELP

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Celexa or Prozac? PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone,

So...(I say this with a big sigh)...I think I am ready to try medication for my anxiety for the first time in my life.  Right now I have two choices...Celexa or Prozac.  My doctor prescribed Celexa, but gave me the choice of which SSRI I would like to try (since they are all similar).  I am wondering if Prozac would be a better choice for me though, because my 16 yr old. cousin (daughter of my mother's identical twin sis) suffers from anxiety that mirrors my symptoms EXACTLY.  After several months of therapy, her doc put her on 20 mg Prozac, and she improved dramatically.  She only stayed on the meds 3 months, and is still doing well since coming off.  Given that our DNA is so similar (she's practically my half sister), I am wondering if I may have similar results with prozac.  yes---i know that everyone is different, but given that I have such a wide variety of choices at this point (not having ever taken anything), I figured something that has been successful in my family would be a good place to start.  

What are your experiences with Celexa or Prozac?  Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks!
Hi there!

Trying meds for the first time can be scary for some....but they have helped a LOT of people.  First, will you be having "talk" therapy as part of this treatment?  IMO, that is the best way to go.  While medications certainly may help you tremendously....there is just no subsitute for getting down to the basics with YOUR unique anxiety issues and how to tackle them.

As for WHAT med?  Honestly....since you've had no history with any of them....it REALLY isn't going to make much of a difference initially.  And, yes you're right...EVERYONE reacts differently to meds..even those in families.  You may even have siblings that have total opposite experiences with the exact same meds.  Also, BECAUSE everyone's experiences vary....if I were you...try to go into this with an open mind...allow YOURSELF to have your own experience.  You will hear praises and horror stories for each and every med out there.

If you want to give Prozac a try....then go for it.  It just may be "the one".  Prozac DOES tend to have (historically) slightly less incidents of side effects than some of the other SSRI's...but again...everyone is different.

JUST remember....regardless of WHICH med you decide on....you have to be patient and give it time to work.  That's the one down side to these meds...is the effects aren't usually felt as quick as we would all like.  Some people have needed a full 2 months to REALLY see a difference.  Others have had results in a week. Typical time (average) is 2-4 weeks.  It's usually gradual...you'll start realizing little by little that things are changing for you.  Just remember to be patient with it...and patient with yourself.  And seriously consider the concurrent psychotherapy if you aren't alread doing it.

Also....you MAY epxerience some side effects.  Sometimes an actual increase in anxiety and feeling "jittery" (almost like you drank WAY too much coffee) are common effects during the first week or two.  But, don't focus on that right now....like I said...have an open mind and allow yourself your own unique experience.  Try not to get too caught up in everyone else's.

Briefly...I WILL tell you that I took Prozac years ago, and it WAS very helpful for me, personally.  Then again...so was Zoloft, and now Lexapro (which, incidentally is a combo med that contains the ingredients in PROZAC AND CELEXA).

Write down your concerns and feelings about the meds and give it one more pow-wow with your doc....HE knows your full history and how best to proceed.  

Best of luck to you....please let us know what you've decided and how you're doing.

It was sooo good, I said it three times.  :0)

Sorry about the serious hiccup....I'm having satellite internet issues this am.

cj/lydia......could you have the mods remove the extras?  Sorry!!!!  :0(

I will agree with Nursegirl on this issue.  Medications affect people in different ways.  For example, I prefer Zoloft while some others do not prefer it.  SSRIs all work pretty much in the same way, but Prozac does have a longer half life than Celexa, so theoretically it could be easier to get off of, but as I said, everyone is different.  I have used Celexa in the past and had no problems whatsoever coming off of it.

When I first decided to use an SSRI, I had been VENHEMENTALY against taking any forms of medication, but I reluctantly followed the advice of my doctor.  In my opinion, they helped immensely as long as they are combined with talk therapy; there is no magic pill to ‘cure’ you of this.  Having said that, be very patient when starting this.  It can actually make you feel a little more anxious at first, but the side effects tend to wear off after the first month or so in my experience.  Personally I get more side effects from taking a Claritan or Allegra for my allegories.  

Furthermore, keep on using this forum.  We have all had many experiences just like yours.  Keep us posted!
Thanks for removing my burps.

:0)
mishymoshymarcy "Turn your desert of loneli... Comment
20 mins ago
Amy4891 Doing better with my psycho... Comment
1 hr ago
LuiLui_ added the Blood Pressure Tracker
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms