Anxiety Community
Chest Spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Chest Spasms

Hey, I have been having these wird little spasms in my chest the last few days and they are really starting to worry me.  It feels like bubbling over my heart or sometimes its like someone is poking me from the inside.  I don't know if this is from anxiety or if there could be a serious heart problem.  I worry about having a heart attack every day, especially asince I was in the hospital for SVT and was put on beta blockers and lipitor and aspirin.  I still have palpitations but I am starting to learn to live with them.  These however, are worrying me a lot.  Is this a common sympton of anxiety?  At first they were just annoying but now there has been a pain on my left side as weel where they occur.  I am really worried and any help would be great.

P.S.  Another question that I have is can panic attacks last all day because I basically feel like **** all day and am constantly worried.  It never lets up too much and it really scares me.  I am frightened to death of a heart attack.  I have had a cardiac cath and lots of other tests that came up fine but I'm still worried.  I never hear of anyone having anxiety like I do and it's killing me.  Can it be possible to have a panic attack all day every day?
yes it can be possible to have a panic attack all the time, espsically cause you keep thinking about it. you need to control your mind and stop worrying about what if's. ive had anxiety for 4years now & im always worried about my health. alwayss!! but as long as you calm down your thoughts & your self then you'll feel better. i promise. try & relax, maybe take a bath or go for a nice walk at sunset or whatever. and for the heart problem its probaly stress & anxiety and nothing serious since you've had normal tests. dont worry about WHAT can happen. life is short & live in TODAY. i know its hard but we got to try, cause we dont have forever on the earth. hope this helped. good luck & best wishes :)
Thank you very much.  Everyone that I hear talk about their anxiety just talks about it once in a while but mine is always there and it is ruining my life.  I've been trying and my girlfriend tries too but it's so hard because the symptoms won't go way.  It's truly a vicious cycle.  I've been trying to get my health in order and excercise so I'm hoping it'll kick in soon.  I have a 5 week old daughter now too so I have a lot ot live for.  I appreciate your help.  I hope it is just anxiety.  
Yes i feel the same way it is a vicious cycle. but u can stop it. dont worry it is all anixety and it only gets better. so just try & not think about anything. conenrte on your gf & daughter and be happy and dont let anxiety get a front row seat in your life, kick it out :) take care .
One of the reasons I responded is what you said about someone poking you from the inside.  FINALLY!!  I feel like someone knows what I'm talking about.  I have said for months that it feels like someone is flicking me from inside.  I'm not sure what causes it but I do know, like you, I have been through a huge number of tests and all so far, have come back normal.  I most recently went through all my tests again, plus more, at the Mayo Clinic.  I have not had the follow up with the cardiologist but I'm sure they wouldn't have let me leave if something were amiss.

I have been told it is anxiety and anxiety can manifest itself in all different ways.  I, like you, am a little hesitant with that diagnosis.  My chest pains are always left sided and rarely are happening during stressful or what I would consider anxiety filled times.  I have very little stress in my life and can't figure out why all this is happening.  I'm not sure if panic can happen all day long but I have certainly felt crappy all day and wondered if it was severe anxiety.  I don't get it though, but I don't know enough about it yet.  Whatever it is, it is horrible.

As far as searching online for a match of your symptoms.  Not a great idea.  I have found that my symptoms fit 100%  with heart attack.  But they are also similar to anxiety, pulmonary embolism, mold toxicity and a few others.  It is crazy.  

I'm not sure what the answer is but I wish you the very best and hope that you find resolution soon.

God Bless!

Take care of that little one, it goes by fast!!  Take lots of pictures and give lots of kisses.    My little is 4 next month and the other starts kindergarten in the fall---now THAT could be my anxiety trigger!!  lol  (it's not!!)
Yes, you can feel anxiety all day every day...I did for 6 months until I got it under control....and YES!  I get that flicker too!  it is like a bubble feeling to me!
that is exactly what it feels like, little bubbles exploding.  i am trying to tell myself that it is just anxiety but it scares me and frreaks me out.  it won't happen for hours and then for an hour or so it'll happen at like a couple minute intervals.  it's a really weird sensation and i don't like it at all.  when the spasms happen anywhere else in my body i don't worry, but when it's on the left side of my chest it freaks me out and for some reason it seems to happen there way more than anywhere else.
Hey man, if anyone or you is out there, I too am experiencing this! I nearly had a heart attack when I finally saw that someone else was going through what I go through. It is very difficult to deal with and I wish it would stop!

Please, someone advise me on what to do..
I have a constant bruse feeling in my upper chest.  Then aout once a week a get a sharp pain in my upper chest and I run to get something cold to drink and that gets rid of the pain. I also get a sharp pain in my back when I sneeze.  I've had EKG, EDG, and a chest Xray that showed nothing.  I do have a hiatal hernia but take omeprozole and do not have any heartburn at all.  I'm worried I have a heart blockage.  Should I be worried about this?
The first time it happened, the chestpain, I was 17 years old. It scared the living daylight out of me of course. Later during the course of my education, I had a little bit of training at the ICU and my friend and I had our EKG's read by a physician, only to confirm we'd placed the electrodes right. The physician put up a worry-wrinkle when he saw the one that had been done at me - and of course: I asked in a millisecond - WHAT'S WRONG?!

The reply was calming: Nothing is wrong, but I think you should have another EKG a time you're not stressing so much.

There are a few reasons for chestpain - one is muscular tension - overtensed respiratory muscles. It is very ok to eliminate the heart as a reason so I'd tell most anyone to go to their GP about it. If it is the heart you'll be told. No one would lie to you.

How I taught to deal with my chestpain - which is a result of a tiny bit of a scoliosis and anxiety-tensions - was: Loosen the muscles up with exercises. Ribs are supported by muscles. Even those muscles need proper oxygenation.

If you worry about the heart, why not get in touch with someone who can run a proper examination? If it comes back with no signs of heart-issues, it is most likely not heart-issues.

If you know it is muscular, why not do a few stretches? It'll help you let go of some tension. It took 10 years for someone to even tell me I had been doing "too high costal breathing". Why not investigate and be reassured? It's health this is about!
I still have it every now and then - most when I have spent a lot of time sitting still by the computer and when I've forgotten range of motions. Psycho-motoric physical therapy. Look it up.

Florena
I first suffered a panic attack in 1983 and until I found a cure (for me) it was excruciating. I tried self-medicating with alcohol which is a viscious circle because alcohol when the alcohol wears off, the panic attacks comes back worse. After suffering from agoraphobia for a year (didn't drive for a year, wouldn't leave my house for six months and then refused to eat along (fear of choking) I finally found a family medicine doctor who put me on Xanax (1 mgx4/day). I swear within a few days all my fears dissapated (this was after trying biofeedback, imagery, facing my fears, etc that had no effect on me at all).
I've spoken with other people who suffer from anxiety and/or panic attacks and Xanax is the only med that works on them. Mine are pretty much gone, but I keep Xanax on hand because if I have to drive in a large city or cross a long bridge, they come back. You might want to talk to your doctor or another doctor because you don't have to live a miserable life when you can perhaps live a "quality of life". Balance your preference (I chose "a great quality of life". BTW research has been showing PA is a glitch in your brain chemistry....not just "all in your head"
I had my first panic attack in college and ever since it's basically taken control of my life.  I fought taking prescription medicine, but finally gave in.  Now, I take zoloft daily and xanax when necessary.  It's been 10 years now and they're back with a vengeance.  I'm driving my family crazy.  I insist my husband sleep in his clothing - including shoes, just in case...   I was searching on-line just now because I'm in the middle of a BAD panic attack and have that bubbly, take your breath away for a second feeling.  I wanted to see if it's normal or if it's really an emergency.  I'm the boy who cried wolf.  I have no idea what is really a problem and what is anxiety.  It helps to know I'm not alone.  My husband doesn't understand.
I've been fighting Anxiety Disorder Panic Attack for several years now and lately it's been in one of it's worse periods.  I'll get the spasms in my chest along with tightness or a sharp internal jab and when they are bad it scares you.  Then anxiety takes over and makes your arm go numb.  Often times I have a strange sensation where pressure shoots from my stomach up my chest.  All of these symptoms hitting in a matter of seconds causes me to start hyperventilating which of course makes everything else worse and before I know it my heart is pounding out of my chest and I stay up all night long because I'm afraid to lay down and face the panic attack.

I've felt many times like I was on the verge of losing my mind.  I used to take meds but they made me very moody and angry and nearly cost me my marriage and job as I would lash out at people out of nowhere.  I've battled alcohol abuse to mask the pain and panic.  Exercise and proper diet has helped tremendously at times but at other times nothing seems to even slow it down.  I tell my wife all the time that I just wish I could have a normal life where my own mind doesn't mess with me everyday.  I know I'm not having a heart attack but sometimes when it all comes on really quickly and I get a spasm that's a little funny I can't help but panic and the next thing you know I'm taking a couple aspirin just in case.

Just hang in there everyone.  I wish we didn't have to go through this but we do.  I guess we'll just have to go through it together.  I hate that so many of you have to go through this garbage like I do but if it's any consolation it's nice to have somebody understand how hurtful and upsetting this is.  Unless you have to live with this it is impossible to understand.
I too have these symptoms, even sitting now my right side of the upper chest is tight and feels like a bruise and funny spasm that make me move and riggle to relieve the discomfort, i have trouble breathing panic alot and sweat, chest pain, discomfort, hot cold sweats and genral fears of been on my own or it all endind, i am 25 now and live in the uk my doctor tells me its panic attatcks with anxity. I hate this so much its spoiling my whole life i had it for around thee years not knowing i just learnt to cope with it but its really bad, and i am on medication which seems to be aiding it abit but still not helping. If anyone has any tips or information that they used to help them i would be most gratefull, i would not wish this on my worst enemy. Thanks in advance.
hi i have had panic attacks for about 6 years now.  when i first got then it was like someone was sitting on my chest for 3 months straight and right after one would stop another one would start.  at the beginning of it i was so scard of everything every time i ate i would have a panic attack i keep thinking i was allergenic to everything i ate and did not eat nothing but roman noddles for a month. i lost so 40 pounds in 2 weeks it was so bad and when i would go to sleep my breathing would mess with me so bad that i could not ever sleep at all.  it wore me out so bad.  as time went on i had to ajust my life around my panic attacks.  been a struggle it is the headrest thing to deal with.  half the time i dont even know what to do.  and i would not wish this on anyone not even somone i hate.   it is the most horrible thing in the world.  i have had all kinds of thing happen to me because of the panic attacks like my legs going numb from time to time when i have them and some times if feels like my lungs spasm.  i still have the attacks but not as bad as before the best thing to do is keep your mind at peace and stay fare away from any stress.  stress in this world is not worth it.  we all need to live life with no worries.  the panic attacks have some side affects to some time.  like make me paranoid alot. but it is all in your head and we all can fight this be strong i like to meditate to soft celtic music and go on bike rides and run that help alot.  or just take a deep breath and let it out slowly and let all your stress flow out of your boddy i also take xane to and i only take them as i need them the realy help on a bad day but it is really glad to know that im not alone and we all need to stick to gether. be strong.
really? mine are random between a split second to a full two seconds. what the crap am i supposed to do?
I have been in the hospital 3 times in a year. I take propranolol to try and ease my anxiety as my dr tells me that's what it is. I am 34 and have had EKG, echocardiogram, stress test, and in February angiogram ct. Never a thing back with the heart, says perfectly normal. Yet I still suffer each day from the chest pain and thought if having a heart attack. Is it still possible?
Do you get like a bruisey poke feeling just above your heart? cause i get it and im not sure if what i feel is the panic feeling because ive trained myself to think its there or is it really there. am i looking for things? does it seem worse cause im expecting it help. someone sooth my mind and tell me its all in my head....:(
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
13 mins ago
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
23 mins ago
Lev1Fagan commented on Derealization and Dep...
1 hr ago