Anxiety Community
Clonazepam

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Clonazepam

I just started taking Clonazepam (Klonopin)  yesterday and it seems to me that it works better than the xanax I was taking. The doctor said that it is less addictive and the effects last longer. I was prescribed .5 mg Clonazepam, and the Xanax I was to take .25 to .5 as needed. Do you think this is an equal dosage to the xanax I was taking? Any info about this medicine would be greatly appreciated.
Please state directions given for Xanax ( 0.5 mg; as needed-how many x daily?), as well as clonazepam 0.5 mg -- is that daily, or also p.r.n.?
I was on the Xanax at .25 to .5   3 times a day as needed and the Clonazepam is 1/2 tablet to one tablet 3 times a day (they are .5 mg tablets).
Xanax and Clonazepam are identical but only for dosage. They are totally different in terms of half life. Xanax (alprazolam) only is useful for about 4-6 hours and clonazepam is effective for 8-12 hours. In terms of withdrawal, Xanax cause more withdrawal symptoms than clonazepam.
I personnaly think that clonazepam is easy to get off when you are done with your treatment.

very well put.. i agree. good luck. if you ever need to take AIM/AOL warriorofsociety im always available
Have either of you been through withdrawal from Xanax? My psychiatrist put me on the same dose as Slim76 is taking, but started me at 0.5 mg 3 times a day. (I have been taking as little as I can as I am afraid of withdrawal problems.) She assures me it will not be difficult to get off of it, but I keep reading it's really hard. I've been on it since the beginning of September now. Should I ask her to switch me to clonazepam?

I am not trusting my doctors very much any more.
"It is exceptionally potent, but lacks the prominent sedative quality that most of the others do"

Hi Ryan;

I wonder who might want greater sedative potential? Seems sedation relaxes some people and makes others more anxious due to the sense of being out of control.
Which benzo is the most potent hypnotic, and who would want this effect?

Have a nice day/eve!!

Russ
Ryan's comments are very accurate. I have used both xanax and klonopin (alprazolam and clonazepam). In my case, which is not yours of course, I have found that my anxiety stays away almost completly wit just a dose of 0.5mg once a day. I take clonazepam just on special days, not daily. I am also trying to keep my dosage as low as possible.
If you don;t trust your Dr, do some additional research. I am doing this always with my health. Listen the experiences of others to take the best of each one. But you have to try by yourself. Every organism respond in diffrent ways to drugs, as with alcohol, cigarrtes, and other recreational drugs, both in terms of phisycal and mental reaction.
I would talk with the Dr and expose your doubts about to switch to clonazepam. You deserve the better to your mind and body and in my case xanax always made me feel sleepy and tired. Clonazepam does not make me feel sleepy and controls my anxiety in a steady manner like Ryan said. Clonazepam is intended to be used in panic attacks, but what is panic? an intense reaction of anxiety caused by your organism.

just my 2 cents
you guys are all rite. what i do knw is i love clonazepam over xanax anyday. its not addictive and it helps keep everything calm and i feel less anxious wen on it. i only tke it wen needed and sometimes depending on the day and the level of panic attack i may tke more than one at a time. but i never over do it and i dnt tke em all all the time. jus as needed life is much more manageable without clonazepam
I would normally agree with you, but since I am weaning off of Klonopin ATM...um I must say this: I have been on both Xanax and Klonopin--Now put back on Xanax (0.5). This is because I ended up in the ER after taking Klonopin 3 mgs/day PRN for 1 year. There,I had been diagnosed with Bell's Palsy;later MS, a stroke- when turns out Klonopin was the real cause!
Listen,both are good for extreme anxiety BUT--Klonopin is really a sneaky type of med that once it gets in your system it stays longer yes-  Personally, I was able to do things I was unable to do before and it seemed like "I" was doing it (whereas w/Xanax you feel effects "wear off"). That is why Klonopin is frightening to get off of. Xanax is more of a mental thing- what I mean is, if you have a strong will you can wean and not have many side effects. Because it doesn't stay in your system very long, you go through a week of withdrawl (withdrawal) and that's it (me-3 days).
(Support does help)
The really annoying thing is that doctors love to give you another benzo to get off of the other one, and it's just a fact. I'm starting to think if I hadn't been put on anti-depressants at 10 (over 30 now) yrs old, I wouldn't be in this position. Since then, I have been on so many different kinds of meds (also homeopathic) that it's sickening. I'd love to not be agoraphobic;not have PD; OCD and PTSD...I have seen every kind of doctor/therapist you can think of. All I will say is this: Hopefully, people with the same problems will be able to get proper help.  PS: I can never have children but..Tell people to talk to their kids Not medicate them...because they're being--kids! Good Luck
specialmom commented on Shannon79's status
realjimmy commented on Derealization and Dep...
realjimmy commented on My last attempt