Anxiety Community
Constant Heart Palpitations???

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Constant Heart Palpitations???

So, I think I've posted at least three other questions on heart palpitations in just the short time that I've been here. But asking questions and having people answer is really soothing, so I'm going to ask away again. Well I've had terrible anxiety for the past two months now. I have many symptoms, really bad chest pain/tightness, trouble breathing, dizziness, etc. But one of my absolute worst symptoms, are my heart palpitations. I get them pretty much 24/7. I've had a chest x-ray, EKG, and blood work done. Everything came back normal (well, the blood work results aren't back from the lab yet but lets say they are normal too). Anyway, I have heart palpitations everyday, 24/7. There are the absolute worst when I wake up in the morning; I barely roll over to see what time it is and my heart races. It makes me crazy!!! I just want to lie in bed cause I'm scared to move yet laying down I can feel them so much more so I end up getting up. I pretty much always have my shirt up with my hand placed over my heart, right under my left breast so I can see how fast my hearts beating. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it. Well, its always beating too fast. I can be watching TV and get up to get a snack and BOOM, there they go racing just from getting up off the couch. I used to exercise so much more, but now that my heart races from barely walking a couple steps, I'm scared to exercise. I always feel like my heart is going to explode or stop beating from working too hard. Even when I'm completely relaxed I get palpitations. I'm even scared to go out shopping now cause I feel like it will work my heart too much. I'm only 17 and I've been told I'm too young for heart problems, but I'm still being tested just to make sure. Is it common with anxiety sufferers to have heart palpitations all day/week long? And does anyone else constantly feel their heart beating fast from the slightest of movement? And do any of you get them while relaxing, like just watching TV? And lastly, if my palpitations aren't a heart or thyroid problem, just something caused by anxiety, are they dangerous? Cause they certainly feel like they are! If anyone could please give me some advice or share their heart palpitation experiences with me, it would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!
hi, i just read your post here, like you i always have palpitraions even when at rest or sometimes from sitting to just going to do something and there with no reasons my heart would beat hard and fast. for my case i was diagnosed with wolff-parkinson-white syndrome (wpw). i had a successfull ablation procedure last feb of this yr. but since then i think i developed anxiety, till now almost everyday i can feel my heart racing and it really scares and bothers me alot.. i think you should see a cardiologist just to make sure your heart is ok,  and do other test like a holter monitor etc. hope everything will be ok on your part.. wishing you the best!

Hi,  I wanted to let you know that I am 25 year old male.  I have had palpitations that all started last October.  Once I developed these palpitations, I sunk into severe anxiety.  I had the whole EKG, 24hr. holter monitor, and blood tests done as well and all came back normal.  I used to have them so much that I was having between 40 and 50 of them everyday for about 4 months.  I couldn't take it anymore.  Then I was doing some research and found out that taking "Omega-3 Fish oil pills helps with palpitations".  So I bought some and I have to say that they work.  I have noticed a dramatic difference.  I now usually only get palpitations in the morning and only a couple.  Sometimes I can go days without any at all.  
   I don't take any other medication except the occasional Tylenol.  I would say go ahead and give it a try.  It wouldn't hurt.  I only take one pill with breakfast and one with dinner.  Unless I have a bad palp day than I will have one with lunch too.
   I would like to ask you a question however.   Do you ever have really tight muscle's in your upper back or chest?  Or any chest pain at all?

Anyway, best of luck to you and I hope to hear how things go.  Maybe we can exchange tips.          

-Dave
Hi. I too have these palpitations. While they are not as severe as yours, I can say that mine come at the most random times and when I am resting. I've gotten them while watching a movie, driving, etc. They scare me cause I can just put my fingers on the bottom part of my throat and feel my heart thumping. It's definitely scary.

@david25: I do get chest pains and tight upper back pain. Sometimes I need a massage on the bottom of my shoulder blades. It feels AMAZING. Do you get these too?
Sometimes I'll have my wife give me a massage and yes it does feel great.  And yes sometimes it feels like the pain radiates from the center of my upper back to my shoulders and shoulder blades.  It does feel like they are at the bottom of the shoulder blades or maybe even towards the side too.  
Avatar n tn
I was getting horrible heart palpitations along with a racing heart for no reason at all...however my symptoms were accompanied by nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, sweats and feeling like I was going to pass out. Ended up in the hospital for it and was diagnosed with IST (inappropriate sinus tachycardia). It's an issue with the thymus gland and will cause the heart to race and have palpitations for no reason. The good news is, if there is any, is that there's nothing wrong with the heart, it's the thymus gland and apparently it's not a life or death issue, so they treat it with meds. I'm taking Toprol right now and it's help a TON!
Avatar n tn

I had been going through very bad palpitations all day. Had tried all possible remedies but in vain. Then I just stopped paying attention to it. This worked and now I am free of it.
The more you think about palps.. it bothers you more.. So, stop worrying if it works for you. For me it worked..!! Good Luck!!
I have been having these palpations (about 70 - 100 per day) and was just doing research online. How long did it take before you noticed a difference with the Fish Oil. I would like to try that first before going through the expense of seeing a doctore. I don't have insurance. Your input is greatly appreciated
Hi everyone, im a little late on the discussion..but i have been going through the same thing abouy the palpitations 24/7. I get really dizzy, lightheaded,tired,extremely light, and when i walk it feels like the floor is moving up higher or lower.im so used to it by now it dont bother me but i would like to know can your heart damages in the long run with this and wat can you do to stop it from beating fast all yhe time.? Another thing i would kike to make friends on here because i ha a few friends but they dont understand me, laugh at me, and think im just weird n totally nuts;(
I have the same problem as well... thought i was having a heart attack the first time it happend... now i have them basically all day everyday... wake up with them and everything... it ***** man... just keep praying
hi i was pregnant and at 7 months i had wierd feeling in my heart it kept jumping a beat the mid wife said it was normal and would go away once the birth was over it did for about 2 weeks then came back my baby is now 4 months and its got worse and ive even got a very fast heart beat that goes to 170 to 200 even when i rest but when im asleep it goes right down to 45 which is good im so scared that somthing is going to happen but i have had loads of tests done they cant find anything they said its because im tired and very stressed but i find it hard to believe them im going to call my doctor and see if i can have some more tests again hopefully it will be ok i will let u all know
Hey I've been experiencing the same problems. However mine is accompanied with sever shortness of breath, I have to take a sharp intake of breath every five minutes or so, if I don't it feels like I will pass out or something bad will happen to me. I've had this for five months and it really is scary, because nobody understands. The shortness of breath is un-noticeable almost like a hiccup but it severely effects my life. I'm scared it won't go away. And the racing heart beat 2/7 7 days a week doesn't help. Does anybody else have this problem???
I have exactly the same thing that you are describing. I have had palpitations all day long for about a month and also had the test you got and everything came out normal... Actually I was having really fast and strong palpitations as I ran into your post... As I was reading and realized that I wasn't the only one with this problem and that it's just anxiety, my palpitations suddenly stopped! :D... Now I feel less worried and will try to ignore them if they come again... Trust me it's just anxiety<3:)
Hi I got heart palpitations 2 weeks ago while sitting at home. It felt like my heart skipped a beat and then started racing..I got really scared and went straight to the hospital. I had an ECG done, blood pressure etc and they said they were fine. I spent the next week worrying and ended up experiencing really bad shortness of breath and feeling like I was going to pass out..I ended back at the doctor and then the hospital again. I had ECG,blood pressure and oxygen levels done and they said all were fine! I am waiting results of blood tests at the moment. I still done feel great and am constantly worrying over it...I am 27 and have always been fit and healthy and exercised 4-5 times a week, right up to I got the first episode of palpitations 2 weeks ago..
I have them every day all day they scare me do much I want to shoot myself I puke all the time because of them scared  to eat and when I do it's only healthy stuff cause I am scared to eat anything else it races so fast it makes poping nosies all the time left arm gos numb and then chest hurts then it all go away and start up again been to the doctor every day for about four months they give me asprine and say UR heart rate is up a bit u be fine I am so scared I am gonna die every day all day my name is Robert south number 574 350 4685 if anyone could call or text helpful tips to make it go away it would be great
Hi Chrissy,

I don't know if you are still having trouble with the palpitations, but you described to a "t" what I went through about 13 years ago. For me, the solution was taking magnesium citrate supplements.

Turns out that muscles (like the heart) need calcium to contract and magnesium to relax; both are essential for the heart to beat properly. (And according to the World Health Organization 80% of the population of the developed world is magnesium deficient).

I felt the relief right away. I took it two or three times a day at first, and now a couple of times a week. I haven't been bothered since. I hope this helps you.

all the best,
BiancaD
i m from india.....i do  have the same problem..continuous anxiety, palpitations and fear.....sometimes i m scared of no reason.....Even a traffic sound, a vehicle horn or even a loud music makes me scared....a real bad pain and tightness in upper back.....it starts from centre of the back, goes to shoulder and shoulder blades...pain in middle of the chest. Sometimes if feels like the blood is moving so spedly in the whole body  but the next hour i will feel like the flow is not there. first i thought that it is a blood pressure problem but everytime i checked it is ok....have this problem 24x7-whether i m in office or taking rest...especilly in the morning when i get up...can u suggest me something?
I hope that you have found an answer, that has brought you resolution.  I have had this issue for years.  It got worse when my son was acting out as a teenager, that was 30+ years ago.  It got better as he got other and he grew up some.  But it never went away.  In the early 2000's it began to worsen again, and over the last year 2012-2013 it has really become a issue.  I have hand numerous tests over the years, nothing is seriously wrong.  And now that it is become worse and is nearly unbearable, I am reluctant to bring it up with my doctor, it is embarrassing to put him though the trouble of checking me out and running dozens of tests, only to be told there is nothing seriously wrong.  

I do have a history of panic attacks and I am sure that sometimes panic is setting my attacks off.  But I have woken up at night with my heart feeling as if it was going to jump out of my chest.  The pain is excruciating, at it worse I am reluctant to more and get up because I feel dizzy and weak.  I feel as if I could easily pass out.  If I get up, I walk like a drunk; I cannot walk a straight line, I bump into things and as I said I feel I might pass out.  

Even during the day, I can be relaxing on the couch and suddlenly my heart is racing and pounding so hard that it feels as if it is being ripped from my chest.  So I know where you are coming from.  I pray you are better, that you have found your answer (a cure).  Good luck, good health.
Avatar n tn
I went through having palpitations for at least 2 years without any explanation from GP, despite my need for an answer, just put down to anxiety. Finally I had a very severe attack and went straight to hospital with the help of my son. I was kept in and had allt he tests which discovered that I needed a triple heart by pass. it's exactly 1 year ago that I had it at St Thomase's hospital. My advice when you do get another attack is to do the same, and ask a relative to take you. Best of luck.
Your attacks are worse than mine were.
Avatar n tn
.I went through having palpitations for at least 2 years without any explanation from GP, despite my need for an answer, just put down to anxiety. Finally I had a very severe attack and went straight to hospital with the help of my son. I was kept in and had allt he tests which discovered that I needed a triple heart by pass. it's exactly 1 year ago that I had it at St Thomase's hospital. My advice when you do get another attack is to do the same, and ask a relative to take you. Best of luck.
Your attacks are worse than mine were. .

PS
sorry sent the first reply to the wrong person.
Hi  PraskritiB28...I have some same symptoms as you. I have been diagnosed wi7 costochondritis.  It is not life threatening.  It is inflammation of the chest wall. It hurts very badly. It often can feel like the same symptoms as a heart attack but I assure you that costochondritis is not life threatening.  For mines I do Reiki, medical massage,  I take advil or a pain reliver and inflammation reducer. Also if you ice your chest or use a heating pad it can help. Try deep breathing too. Mines usually comes and go but last week I had a cold and that triggered a very nasty episode that I am still fighting.
I have recently have had racing heart issues because I changed the time I take my klonopin from when I wake up in the morning,7 or 8 am to 1 p.m. every day.i did this because taking the klonopin in the morning made me feel tired all the time,and I had no energy.now I am  having racing heart episodes that last for about an hour every other day.i suffer from many anxiety disorders,and I have been a nervous person all my life.the only way I have been able to get rid of the problem is through pysch meds that take all the energy from me.these episodes also make my mind have racing thoughts,and I can not concentrate on anything.i don't know if I will ever solve this problem,and i  will be forty years old in two months.
Hey Chrissy, I'm 17 as well and am experiencing the exact same thing! It's so scary, I've brought it up with my doctor and he said the same thing, "I'm too young to have heart problems". I just want to know what on Earth it is that's causing these palpitations.
Hi Chrissy, I am not a medical doctor nor my comment should be taken as a advise.
Simply ...I know that stress, anxiety, plays a big roll on heart palpitations,chest tightness,pain under the breast bine. Also  can happen on digestion, after eating a large meal or sugary stuff.Avoid eating 2 hous before bed and drink water.
Obsviouly..it is important  to monitor your BP 24 hours.and do all the tests you can to have clear results. and feel better
I hope you will find the culprit
Hi, folks,

Since this thread is more than 4 years old and it's getting difficult to follow, we'll close it now.  If you'd like to ask a question or start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire

________________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.
I'm 39 also I've have had panic attacks my whole life up and down better and worse I have found that exercise helps if u can not concentrate on your heartbeat but I notice that when I'm sitting around it seems to be worse because when u relax u think your heart would also but just remember when u exercise your heart is suppose to beat faster I know it's hard to not think about it but in time maybe exercise will help.When I was 16 I lifted weights like crazy and got addicted to it my body felt weird if I didn't lift.I lifted at school in gym so when summer came I didn't have access to weights after about two weeks of not working out the fast heartbeat began then panic I had never heard of a panic attack so I thought it was my heart I convinced myself it was but finally got diagnosed with panic disorder life has been hell ever since rollercoaster try to find a good Dr and stay out of your head Your Brain can do powerful things except give u a broke leg
Hi i'm 17 yr old and i have been suffering with heart palpitations for over 2 months now all day every day. It's so scary asoon as i stand up i feel my heart racing rapidly and can literally feel it out of my skin just around my left nipple. I get chest tightness and sharp pains in that area. When this first occured i got paranoid and caused myself have a panic attack and scared me . I went the hospital a few days later because i was getting worse and they told me i had pericarditis disease which is uncommon but which is a bag around my heart to stop it from infection and they give me naproxen tablets and was taking them for just over a month and nothing seemed to change so i went back to my GP and she told me i don't have pericarditis disease because my bloods come back all normal and when you have that they come back adnormal and just told me to get another blood test done and not to worry. So i had my other blood test done and whilst i was waiting for them to come back i had really bad tightness in my chest again so i rang an ambulance and they took me hospital and i explained everything to the doctor and he just told me i have muscalur pain and not to worry and go home and just take paracetamol. But my heart palpitations have still not stopped i have no reason why i am getting them i'm so scared at times and noone understands the situation i am going through. I am only 17 years old i should not have to go through this at my age. Just wondering if anyone can help or for someone just to tell me everythings going to be fine i will be okay:(
Hey, you are only 17. I believe you are having panic/anxiety attacks. The more you pay attention to the palps the worse they get! I am a 68 year old woman and I have afib. I have had it for over 50 years. Its an abnormal beating of the heart. I have learned to live with it, but palpitations are part of it. Not saying you have this, but I know a LOT about palps! I have done so much research. I don't like doctors( their business anyway) But I do take heart meds and anxiety meds. I was fine until the year 2000. Had a major attack and now I am plagued with palps everyday. I have learned NO caffeine, NO alcohol! Darn I hate that!..But salt,beer, coffee,chocolate, caffeinated sodas,  fats, msg ( chinese food) are among the things I have given up and it does help. I have an off day occasionally. But like so many others say, if you get busy , get your mind off them.....they will disappear. Maybe not all together, but you can manage to get through. You are not going to die from palps.........unless you have something very bad wrong and they would of found that by now with all you tests..So I hope you can get your mind busy and get out doors and stay busy...Its a messed up thing,but you will live with it. You just have to try. Ignore the funny little umps..Good luck and you will be fine!!  ;)
I feel you there..my friends joke about the things I choose to tell them about my anxiety...my family however is very supportive...I would be glad to be your friend
Hi barb I also have afib. Wondered what mess you are on and if you have ever had an ablation done. I am 66 and started this afib nightmare 4 months ago. Cannot tolerate the medications they have made me very sick. Would love some contact with you.
Hey everyone, I suffer with anxiety on and off, but recently when i thought I was going through a good period out of no where I have been getting isolated palpitations, like just a thud where it feels my heart has skipped a bit, like my heart is flopping in my chest, just a single beat but I have been ongoing for about a month now, like 3 an hour all day...I have had a full blood test, ecg done even showed a palp on it and they say it is all anxiety! It feels horrible and feel down I am worried and just want it to go away...why are they doing it?! any ideas?? Thank you x
I have only just recently started having palpitations. Calling Doc tomorrow because they are freaking me out. I already take fish oil pills :( so I guess thats not gonna help
I&#x27;m a 16 year old male, I noticed pulpitations last year during the winter. I play soccer from Spring -&gt; Fall and when that started all my symptoms besides indigestion faded. My high school soccer has a conditioning week in the summer and after the week I had chest pain for the whole following Saturday. That was the only returning symptom until about 2 weeks ago, which is about 2 weeks after the season ended. I started researching through various websites and found my results freightening. I went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago and my results still haven&#x27;t returned from my ekg and I&#x27;m worried cus I only wore a heart monitor for 1 day and had very few symptoms in that time, now I&#x27;m having what ;ve researched to be heart attack symptoms (unexplained upper body pain such as sore arms/neck) I'm hoping for the best right now I feel like I'm too young to have heart disease but the symptoms point to it.
I have suffered with the same problem for a few months now.  Every morning when I wake up my heart starts pounding and racing and feels like its flipping around. It does it at night too.  It's very scary.  I was diagnosed with anxiety in my 20's. I'm now in my 30's and it's worse than its ever been.  I haven't been on anxiety meds in 6 months. I go back to doctor soon so I hope I can get back on meds and start to feel some relief because it is driving me crazy.I know this post was from a year ago but it has helped me get through my anxiety attack at the moment. I hope you have gotten relief from yours.
Did they every go away, or calm down?
I feel for tou so much. Im lying on my bed  terrified to go to the toilet. I live in my besroom. Im so so terrified deapite being  tols theyre harmless. Palps palps palps. They've mentally killed me. Its been months since i went ahopping. Im peteified and have no life. I wish i cpuld help but just nees tou to know someone wlae deels it too..... Id love ro meet fce to face someone who auffers this! Even these help lines like the Adib one is run by people who dont have it so how can thwy possibly asvise or comfort us who do have it. Im at my end. Ive no life. We were moving to Ibiza but the thought of an attack on a plane is horridic!! Nobody can ever convince me tjese are safe. Doctors say wverybody gets them but I have lived dor 40 yers and nevwr met one pwrson who hs has a palpitation!!!!  Bless you & i am thinking of you. Please reply if youre still there xxxx
mishymoshymarcy "Turn your desert of loneli... Comment
Amy4891 Doing better with my psycho... Comment
LuiLui_ added the Blood Pressure Tracker
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms