Constant Shortness of Breath
Hi,im a 22 year old male and i've been dealing with this constant shortness of breath for over 6-7 years now. I written on a forum about this before but just hadd to write one again. Its hard to say but doctors have no idea what's wrong with me.I see so mnay people dealing with this problem and it seems like theres no diagnosis. It just strated outta the blue I went to take a deep breath and i couldnt get that last bit of hair to satisfy the breath and this whole vicious cycle started. After that for about 2 years i was constantly taking deep breaths and not able to get a satisfied breath. I WAS CONSTANTLY YAWNING>SIGNING AND TAKIN UNSATISFIED DEEP BREATH ALL DAY LONG. I had reached the point when i was staying home in my bed just hoping i would die so it would stop.  After 2 years or so it seemed to just go away. It then came back right after i smoked a cigarette . Ever since then its been an ongoing struggle. I feel as if i have no control of my life, and im constantly thinking of my breathing. I feel hopeless and feel as if no one understands what im going through or that i have this disease that doctors cant detect. My doctor has put me on xanax for anxiety and it seemed to cut the edge off a lil but its still there. Its not as bad as when i first got it but it still disrupts my life. I can only work 2 days, i don't go to school  and i don't have much of a happy life .I've gone to cardiologist, ent's, gi's, pulmonary doctors. I've gone through xrays, PFT, EKG, stress tests, endoscopy . Only thing i have is GERD/LPR with sinsation of lump in throat and a very small irregular heart beat. I also am constantly clearing my throat.I heard that can be because of the Gerd/LPR. I just took a new PFT test and my breathing is normal. i did have a deviated septum but got that fixed..My lung specialist says its just all in my head and that i have this because ive become aware of my breathing pattern. i've used advair, singular and breathing pumps for asthma with no results. when im sitting or laying down its seems to be fine but when i stand up or move it kicks in more. I'm losing hope on what's going on with me. Does anyone have this?If so can anyone recommend anything else i should look for? the only thing i really want to do is a MRI or CT scan but doctors say 99 percent sure nothing will show.Has anyone heard of chronic hyperventilation syndrome? or phrenic nerve damage? if anyone can be of help please email me or post a message?
Wow - i am blown away by all these comments - i've been experiencing exactly what you're all describing for some weeks now ... I know that my anxiety is deeply rooted in my fear of cancer (my mum died of cancer when i was ten) and my frustration at being addicted to cigarettes, even though im not a heavy smoker. I had a similar episode some years ago, and discovered to my amazement that it was anxiety after i called an ambulance. I have believed since then that i had the issue sorted, simply because i knew it for what it was, but clearly that's not the case. I've been through an extended period of unemployment and have had relationship issues with my partner who is alcoholic - so the current contributors are pretty obvious - what amazes me is that despite this, the creeping effect of stress still holds sway, despite constantly reminding myself that it's probably all (or at least mostly) in my head. It's astonishing. I'm massively reassured by what I've read tonight, and thank you for your honesty and clarity. The brain is a crazy place! Hang in there :)
Yes, this all sounds familiar- Just 45 days ago I stopped using Lyrika for nerve damage which Used for 4 months because I wasn't having the symptoms so I'm glad for that- But the next day I had an anxiety attack for no reason because I have a beautiful life free of stress. Then I realize this medication is also used for anxiety and depression so apparently now I need anxiety pills as well. Well, to make a long story short I now have to take xanas o.5 once daily because I'm running out of air ( specially after I eat) and I'm light headed 24/7 and the Primary Doctor thinks is anxiety but my Psychologist thinks is a 50/50, little anxiety with real medical conditions. Then my allergies thinks the anxiety is caused by the 24/7 light headed and the short of air which is 30% of the day is anxiety. I do not concur because now is really aggravated after I eat. I also have recurring sinus and I believe this is the other part of the problem which my ENT does not concur.  Xanas helps me a little but right now the 0.5 I take is not working as it did the first 45 days so I might need to increase which is not something I want to do until I'm completely clear that the problem is anxiety.  Now, I also take biofeedback classes which helps a little but not much if you ask me.  Is a temporary fix that last very little. But is always good for your longs. I have a Abdominal CT this Thursday because I also lost 45 pounds and I have tie abdominal feeling which in this case I agree with my GI which thinks is just stress from all these unsolved problems. I the last 9 month I was diagnosed with HBP, Nerve Damage and COPD.  I took control of my BP and right now my cardiologist is about to relieve me from the low dose of Amlodipine I take for this, I also eliminated the nerve damage medication (Lyrika and Gabapoentin) and at the end I never had COPD, Doctor said I past the test with flying colors which every other Doctor agrees when they check my blood oxigen level and longs. 98-100 always.  Now I have this next task which is to control y anxiety but first they have t clear me from any doubt as for the heavy breathing because I think my sinus is part of the problem.
Hi Dalgal60,

I'm no expect on this and just like you I have breathing problems and even light headed 24/7.  This breathing problem started 2 weeks ago but the light headed started 45-50 days ago.   Now, as for deep breathing if you can inhale for 4 seconds and exhale for 8 seconds you can do this.  You can also inhale 4 seconds, hold 7 hold and exhale 8 seconds. The exhale part is the easy part because all you have to do is close your lips a little so the air gos out slowly. Repeat these steps 4-8 times at least 3 times daily.   Like I said, I'm no  expect but I did learn this from my biofeedback classes. Don't try to hard, just do this sitting or laying back with a pillow between your legs. Keep in mind you inhale the air to the stomach, not the chest so put one hand on your chest and another on your stomach and make sure only the hand on the stomach is moving.
Just started 6 days ago for me. I'm a 30 year old male, always been healthy. Was driving to work last Tuesday at 4am and started yawning like I was really tired or something. Yawned for 40 minutes the whole way there. Got to work, went away. Same thing happened the next morning. Then on the third day, it never went away. I've been short of breath ever since, and it feels like it MIGHT be getting a tad worse? Idk it's hard to say. But I went to the ER and no lung cancer, no pneumo, now I'm waiting to see my dr for some more tests. They said it was "anxiety" but I've never had anxiety problems.

This just came literally out of NO WHERE, all I can do is pray to God that He has mercy because these drs don't seem to know what's causing this. Something is going on. There's too many people experiencing this without any history of anxiety for it to just be chalked up as "anxiety".

That's so wierd, mine started in a car journey aswell, it's not so bad but I'm worried it's going to get worse, do you have anything which could help me?
I'm struggling with occasional shortness of breath too. It comes and goes, but when it comes it usually stays all day. That need to yawn to get a breath, maybe one breath in seven is deep enough to qualify as "catching my breath." I have had panic attacks--racing heart, sense of unreality, shortness of breath, and gone to the ER three times. I always check out fine in terms of heart (EKG) and lungs. I've had Lorazepam prescribed for the acute panic attacks, and it helps, but the shortness of breath has come recently all by itself, and the drug doesn't seem to help. My mother suffered from anxiety, and shortness of breath in particular--but it never hit me till I was in my late fifties (I'm 63 now). I'm pretty sure it is anxiety--distraction sometimes makes it better and so does sleep, as others have noted. I don't have a stressful work life, but I do work on deadlines and tend to be a worrier. Glad to hear from everyone and share support here.
I am so relieved to come across this thread today as I am suffering from the same symptoms many of you are experiencing.

I am a 24 year old female. My whole life I've had bad anxiety problems. I sometimes would have panic attacks where I'd feel dizzy and weak, but never problems breathing.

About a year ago, I started experiencing this shortness of breath that would just come on randomly. It first started in the evenings on car rides home from work and it would stop by the time I got home. Then it started happening more and more often, in the morning, afternoon, evening. It gets worse when I'm rushing to do errands and chores, and worse when I'm eating meals. It tends to go away when I'm with family and friends and enjoying myself and comes right back again when I return to normal life.

It's like I can't breath in the full breath of air-- there's this tightness right around my diaphragm that won't allow me to get that last little bit of oxygen I need. I constantly feel tired and yawn, I have no energy to do the things I used to love. I can't run or do strenuous exercise like I used to. It's sometimes hard to get through a yoga class when I can't take a full breath. It's hard for me to eat meals sometimes because I don't have enough air.

Constant sore back/neck/ chest muscles. I wake up several times during the night, bad sleep.  

A list of doctors/medications/procedures I've had:
- Pulmonary function test (mildly decreased obviously)
- Several steroid daily inhalers - no change
- Albuterol inhalers - no change
- Abdomen xray- negative
- EKG- no findings
- Singulair - mild improvement (I also have bad seasonal allergies)
- Dexilant anti-reflux medication- no change
- Carafate anti reflux medication- no change
- 2 months of anti-reflux diet- no change
- Upper endoscopy-- no findings
- Colonoscopy-- no findings
- CT scan of abdomen/pelvis-- no findings
- seeing a great therapist x 10 months - mild improvement

My GI doctor wants to start me on Prozac now. I'm weary of starting an anti depressant medication because I'm not depressed. I'm frustrated that I can't figure out what's wrong with me. Slowly accepting that this may be all psychological.

My therapist thinks it would be a good idea to add a medication along with therapy. Maybe I should see a psychiatrist and look into other anti anxiety medications that wouldn't be as potent as Prozac is.

Have you found any resolution? My problems started at age 23 as well. I am now 26. Your story sounds so much like mine that I was wondering if I wrote it haha! Because I have been on these sites searching for answers for three years now. I was recently diagnosed with Addison's Disease which can cause the shortness of breath/constant air hunger and yawning. I hope you've found some relief and are able to get back to me on this...even though it's been three years since your comment!
OMG so im not the only one feel SOB , i 32  years old and had been a smoker for 9 years, on 24 dec 2014 i made a promise to my self to stop smoking as one of my family member died of lung cancer, i wanted to live a happy and non smokers life, little did i know that on the 3rd day while i was sitting with a friend causally felt like yawing and had a sudden shortness of breath, when to the Dr who told me as the weather is cold around -1 to 6 (believe me for my country where we are used to 35+ degrees weather is cold) i might have chest infection, i have also started to suffer from acid reflex since last nigh, i couldn't sleep coz of it, i have read in many posts that many smokers who quit feel this "nicotine withdrawal" but my DR says that not it, i have been coughing a lot and throwing out a lot of mucus....still i have SOB, i just want to be normal again :(
I have those same symptoms and I think its athsma
I recognize myself in so many of these comments and I feel for all of you because it's sooo obvious many of you suffer from CHRONIC HYPERVENTILATION just like I do.

Doctors wil always tell you it's just stress or anxiety bc they don't recognize the problem. I went to a lungspecialist and even she thought it was just stress but luckily she sent me to a physiotherapist that specialises in breathing. Last week I went for the first time and she immediately saw that I'm suffering from chronic hyperventilation.

Chronic hyperventilation means you breath wrong (too short/with your chest and not from your diaphram) and you breath out too much CO2 which changes the ph of your blood which can cause A LOT of physical complaints, doctors never look at all your complaints but focus on every body part on its own but ofcourse they wont find anything wrong with it. So they'll just say it's anxiety or stress and give you medication but that wont solve the problem!! you've got to learn how to breath again (I'm currently going through this and I hope it will help but it's too soon to say although my physiotherapist is very certain that things will get better if I do my breathing exercices)

So to everybody; please google 'CHRONIC HYPERVENTILATION' and I'm sure a lot of you will think 'hey that sound exactly like me'!!  

Some of the symptoms include:
- you can't take a satisfying deep breath
- you sigh/yawn a lot
- dizziness/lightheadedness
- very tired and you don't sleep well
- cold hands/feet
- feeling of lump in throat
- tingling sensation in fingers
- problems with your digestion
- sore muscles
- chest pains
-...

I hope some of you read this and finally discover what they have and can search for the help they need. If your doctors still keep saying it's just anxiety/stress, find yourself a good physiotherapist who knows a lot about breathing bc they are the best help. I'm glad I kept asking the doctor bc I finally know that it's not 'just in my head'!!
And I hope my body will recover cause right now it *****, my sleep is really bad and I always feel sooo tired and my digestion is awful
google 'chronic hyperventilation', I'm 200 % sure that's your problem. Hope this helps cause I'm going through the same thing and it's awful :)
sounds like chronic hyperventilation, you should google it
google 'chronic hyperventilation'

I'm trying to say this to a lot of the people who commented on here because I'm pretty sure most of you go through the same thing as me but doctors like to say everything is because of stress but it isn't!!! :)
chronic hyperventilation!

It's really awful most doctors know almost nothing about this because it's so common these days and so many people don't get the help they need. I've started physiotherapy last week for my breathing problems (like the ones you describe) and I'm praying they will help cause i'm really sick of it! :)
I'm sorry for all my comments but I just want people to google chronic hyperventilation because I'm really sure many of you suffer from this and I want you all to get the help you need because I know how this mentally starts to wear on you, you feel there's something wrong but nobody seems to believe you :)
Hi , read ur post in medihelp about ur problem with shortness of breath . I am having the same problem last 6 months . U still having it ?
hi john,

please share videos of that breathing exercises to all. god bless you.
my email I'd ***@****
waiting for your reply
thank you.
Same symptoms, same hopelessness...add paralyzed vocal cord to the mix....and LPR. I'm on valium, nexium for life, practice my breathing techniques daily and STILL think about my breathing 24/7 and feel as though I'm not getting enough air.. Stress makes it worse, drinking excessively cold liquids makes it worse. It's nice to know I'm not alone, but I feel bad for all of you. God Bless.
I've been a shallow breather as long as I can remember. No allergies I'm aware of. I'm now 33 and 4 days ago I woke up short of breath, unable to yawn fully, or breath deep, and the only comfort is laying down and sleeping. But if I go out and occupy myself I catch myself wondering why I can breath. Then as soon as I'm done I can't breath again. This has got worse each day and today I actually thought I was going to die. My body went numb and limbs tingled and lightheaded dizzy etc. So I managed to find a proper Inhaler and it has helped a great deal. I'm still stuck catching myself breathing deep and thanks to muscle memory I stop breathing mid inhale. Some perspective. I'm overweight and my diet consists of soda and junk food. Unfortunately I'm an addict of prescription medications as well. Xanax, Ambien, Oxy.... And I smoke. Seems like I know the answer and the answer is scary. But all that said, I'm actually fairly active. Golf, Fishing, Playing catch, going out and eating etc. And this shortness of breath thing is out of control. This is day 4 and I'm very much set in my ways. So a typical day is no longer typical. Its now go to sleep for relief and wake up hoping its gone and 20 minutes later BOOM! Can't breath deep or yawn. It started after I was most active I've been in 10 years. I'm really scared that its Heart Failure or Lung Cancer. But I did have a thyroid thing I never had treated and I read that can contribute. Anyway none of you are alone. Everyone has something and this something is really something. I just know if I see a Doctor I'll find out horrible news and be dead in a week. But I'm going as soon as I can. Best of luck all.
Anytime a doctor or researcher can't come up with a diagnosis, they come up with a word for what they can't figure out what is wrong with you. And so many doctors think that things are in the heads of their patients when they can't find whats wrong. I've been going through this for years. I have unstable angina almost daily. Forget trying breathe. When this first started in 2009, I was given a stress test. It showed everything was fine. Later another stress test and again everything was fine. Two days after this test they were putting in three heart stents. Still have trouble and I've been in the hospital so many times it isn't funny. Anyway, since 2009, I've had thirty-one heart caths. I have twelve heart stents, have had countless angio's and in two weeks I'm going in to get a pacemaker. Sadly, there are still people who think it's in my head, even people in the ER who are getting tired of seeing me.
This is a copy of a post that fixed my breathing problems emmediately.
I tried everything - antidepressants, herbs, anti-anxiety meds, therapy(kind of working) and non of it works. The thing that worked for me is this:

This is old and I am sure the original people posting have found a new symptom to ruin their lives but I came across this in an internet search and wanted to give someone hope.

After about 2 years of high stress I started getting heartburn and suddenly I could not breathe. For that whole week I assumed anxiety and tried meditation and anxiety exercised to calm down. Well it didnt work and the heartburn got worse I got acid in my throat all the time. I saw my dr after inhalers didnt work, who then gave me steroids. when that didnt work, i started taking meds for the heartburn thinking it was the acid reaching my lungs. For months I suffered and you know what hell it is. Sometimes I felt like I had to force myself to breathe. Finally i started thinking about the fact that limiting my diet and taking acid medicines by my doctor and I still couldnt breathe, i panicked. Whats wrong with me and I cant live a life where I feel like i cant even perform a basic function necessary to being alive. Then like a lightbulb went on i considered my shortness of breath, despite how serious and constant it was, was maybe an anxiety response, within a week i was breathing  90 percent better. By the next week i am at 95 (this week).

Many of you have been already  told its anxiety so why not give some of my methods a try. You know you cant just calm down, you have to trick yourself. Consciously  breathe slow, and use your nose to take slow breaths. Dont breathe deeper than feels natural, fight the urge to do that and fight the urge to sigh. You do not realize this but you are hyperventilating, and breathing slow will stop the hyperventilation response. But you need to keep trying. Practice breathing from your stomach and not your chest. This will feel really bad at first but by the next day i noticed improvement, and each day after. Also, i had developed chest tightness and can feel my chest tighten. I would practice massage and stretching to become aware of the tightness and try to break the cycle. Another method which is great for all anxiety related physical symptoms is an amazing trick. Focus on a physical feeling you have that feels bad, and try to use your brainpower to make the feelings or pain more intense. You cant, its impossible. Try hard! This exercise causes your brain to actually relax its grip. Amazing. Remember, keep practicing its like exercise. You wont be ready for the playoffs in a day. And you might relapse but if you keep trying youll notice you bounce back faster each time.

We are all a work in progress, if its not the breathing its something else. Stay strong, youll beat this.
I see this post is old from 2009. Has anyone had relief, success or had this go away. Mine just started and its miserable. I am trying to find anywhere hope stories and people actually having it go away?
I am having this exact same problem. I see this was posted 5 years ago, has anyone found resolution?
sounds like an anxiety attack and focusing on it,,,,is there some chance a tramatic experience happened in your life? i know that my panic attacks, happen when i stress, and i started this at age 15, im now 58, but they can lay dormant for years.....and then they come back  and u concentrate on it, its scary no matter what, and people dont understand, when its not  them.,,,,not sure how ur life has changed with this.....at times mine changed dramatically... im sure therapy will help and a good family dr that understands too
did this every go away for anyone?
Yes, for me it did go away
same thing here, can anyone email me or reply to me with the solution, i am not scared but I am tired and my lungs are tired as well, is there anyone here from lebanon? perhaps we can meet
Can you give me the cure, exercises to do daily, a herbal medication that reliefs stress, anything like that anyone?
hey how are you now it has been 6 years since you first made your post, how are you doing right now how did you get cured, what medication did you take and what helped you get over this problem, thank you so much for starting this movement, I really appreciate what you did even though you might not think it was anything of importance, I can't wait to hear back from you, best regards.
-Eli
this kinda ***** but we will definitely get through and cure this, people do not understand what is going on and they start criticizing you, why can't you keep a job, why can't you do this why can't you do that, why don't you think about your future while all I'm trying to do is lessen my anxiety by not thinking about my future, or worrying about anything, they make you worry even more.
Hi zambrotta and all of you who are suffering from anxiety like me, please try magnesium glycinate and stay away from caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas and liquor). Magnesium will helped me a lot. PLEASE TRY!!!
I got the same problem like a week ago. I was able to overcome it. I am writing to help you because I know how hard it can get having gone through it myself.
Now do this. Do NOT open your mouth to take deep breaths, you are breathing just fine actually we are all stuck in this cycle of breathing deep to catch that last breath. Because you know when you are talking and sleeping you are breathing just fine as soon as you become conscious of your breath , you start hyperventilating. I promise this will work, dont deep breathe, slow you breathing down. Do not open you mouth to breathe , or dont force air through your nose. I forced myself on this for a few days and I doing fine now. I even started exercising
I hope this helps you. Best of Luck
I hope this helps you. Best of Luck
I hope this helps you. Best of Luck
hello! this post is old but i decided to post incase any other person  was having issues and for others that will have this issue and come here and ive been reading this for over 2months because I am/was having the same issue majorly shortness of breath

After being depressed for months finally (God help me) found it... we seem to be overlooking it.

the shortness of breath is caused by your GERD/acid reflux ....that's it! how it affects your breathing? well I was too excited that I'd finally found it to even try to understand how it affects the breathing, guess you will have to google it

I've been on asthma drugs which didn't help, it made me think the sensation of lump in my throat, the bloating was because of its side effects.

Yesterday I decided to try omeprazole which another doctor (I went to a lot of doctors to do tests....which came back clean) and two of the many docs I went to prescribed omeprazole (aka prilosec or something like that) and well I decided to try it....after weeks or leaving it in a bag doubting it would ever work and I gate taking drugs anyway, I hardly take the drugs docs prescribe (believe the body is self healing) but this shortness of breath is a whole different story.

voila! just one day I felt immensely better. (took one tablet in the morning... in the evening I felt betterl

I had to share it. hope you all get better.

it is NOT anxiety or all that nonsense your doc would try to make you believe, it's not that you are not exercising because in my own way I exercise (and who prescribes exercise to someone that cannot breathe) and its not that you have forgotten how to breathe

its so good to be able to breathe and wake up in the morning get up and not feel like I just ran a Marathon

pray (I'm a Christian) go to your doc get him to prescribe your the omeprazole or sth... and pray to God it works.

Have a nice day
I am happy that it was just gerd/reflux for you, but you have to realize that it probably is not for 99% of the people in here. Most of the people in here including myself have had every test imaginable, and have been to GI doctors. Digestive issues are one of the first things they look for after everything else checks out fine. And PPI's are the first thing they give you. Im sure almost everyone in here has taken PPI's. I have some reflux and was diagnosed with eoe, which is a newer esophagus disease that causes difficulty swallowing, and is usually caused by some food allergy. I do think everyone in here should get there blood tested for allergies, and I believe Anxiety is the main factor. I have had this for 3 months. Mine is constant, but does get worse at different times especially at night and when I try to go to bed. I can't exercise anymore. It definitely is taking over my life, and it is difficult to work or do anything. I am going to start doing some breathing exercises like Buteyko or something, and prob go see psych doc. or maybe functional medice.
Hi I have the same as you been in and out off hospital 17 times in 12 months still no joy no one is listing to me you got c.o.p.d that's it. No how you r feeling ..
I hate having this the restless nights I cant be at home alone or I start thinking something is going to happen to me where it got to the point I wanted to pay people to hang at home with me bcuz I was scared
That's my problem now too! Have you found a solution to your problem?
Hello, Im a 34 yr old female and Im going through the exact same thing. It started May 1st after I had inhaled bleach and I have been through hell and back. Im constantly crying depressed on disability for another 3 weeks and nothing. I Was admitted to hospital for 6 days and have been in and out of hospital in between. Last but not least Im waiting for my insurance to approve for me to see a speech therapist to see if I have vcd ( Vocal Cord Dysfuction) which if you read about it you will see that our symptoms are very similar to the diagnosis. Have u found a solution to your problem? I know you wrote this back in 2009
I have had this for years.. I do have anxiety disorder and depression. I also have COPD. I have gerd too.  But I wanted to know if any of you have had your thyroids checked. If not, please do so. This is how all my problems with the breathing and anxiety started.  I have hypothyroids.
That is because you are scared to take the xanax. I had the same problem.  I have sever anxiety disorder and depression.  Take your med. / If you are too scared then just take a half of one and relax yourself.
I am a 47 year old. I have had anxiety and depression on and off since I was 30. About 2 weeks ago I got up to a normal day and was yawning then later in the day I started the shortness of breath after a few days went to the er they admitted me. I had a stress test heart is fine Cray of lungs fine, doc said it was anxiety, maybe it is all in my head and I'm missing a certain chemical, but I am glad I have found others with this whatever it is and I am not crazy. Also it seems when I am concentrating on a project I don't have the urge to get that deep breath, and when I am sleeping. Thank you all for sharing.
I had this problem since forever, I think I got it when I was 15 and I'm 38 now! I even can't remember how I got it and why, went to many dr's through the years did a lot of tests and there's nothing physically wrong, they all say it's physiological and it's a nervous tic and that I should stop it! And quit smoking...I've been having anxiety and panic attacks for the last couple of years, took some medications for depression, I'm always tiered I have no energy, have shortness of breath all the time down most of the time and I have 2 kids and a husband that I have to take care of and be nice with, I'm always edgy and scared, I developed severe fear of flight...I'm really missreable! Please help
Hi there,
I've been having the same issue. As soon as I wake up, it starts. It can be really uncomfortable and annoying and very scary. This causes me to get even worse with my panic attack. I use to have this issue in 2003 and it lasted 2 years and one night I had major panic attack that my husband called 911 and after the peramedics arrived they ran some tests and said that I need to see a doctor for it. I was prescribed Lexapro and was great for 2 years and with the help of my doctor I wanted to stop the meds. I can say I went without any medication from 2009 to 2015 for 6 years I didn't feel any panic nor anxiety or shortness of breath until August 2015 after having an A**Hole manager at work, my panick attacks returned and shortness of breath has been there since then. I can 100% say that my manager triggered it for it to come back again. Now I'm back on Lexapro started at .05mg but I feel it doesn't help me like it did the first time.
Sounds like stress and anxiety. The body goes into a fight or flight mode when it is under a tremendous amount of stress whether your brain actually realizes it or not. Which can cause unnoticeable shallow breathing. The feeling of shortness of breath that goes away when busy or occupied points to the symptom of actually having too much oxygen in the body, creating an imbalance of oxygen and C02. A form of hyperventilation. It causes a decrease in the amount of a gas in the blood (called carbon dioxide, or CO2). This decrease may make you feel lightheaded, have a rapid heartbeat, and be short of breath.  It also can lead to numbness or tingling in your hands or feet, anxiety, fainting, and sore chest muscles. There is a breathing technique that I myself thought was total BS until I ran out of straws on why I was short of breath. I had Chest X rays done, blood tests, breathing tests and all came back totally normal. The breathing technique is called the 4 7 8 breathing technique.  Look it up and do it. I swear by it. It really does lower heart rate and increase GABA levels in your body which is the natural chemical your body produces to give you that calm and settled down feeling. The breathing technique also balances out the imbalance of C02 and oxygen that is making you feel like you are short of breath. Try it, I swear by it.
Hey guys! I've been dealing with this too - and from the comments above, one thing I've noticed that we ALL have in common is anxiety. Think that's a coincidence? :)

I hope this helps: In addition to the 4 7 8 breathing technique (which totally works), I've turned to jogging, and it works wonders.

The thing is, my brain has tricked me into thinking that my body needs more air when it doesn't. By running, I force it to come to grips with what needing air REALLY feels like. This has accomplished so many things for me:

1.) I'm in better shape, and more healthy
2.) It's like a reset button when I'm having one of those "attacks" where I focus too hard on my breathing
3.) Running in general improves anxiety symptoms
4.) ...but it also improves anxiety for people who "worry that they'll die" from not being able to breathe; because really, how can that be true if you can run?

If you're unable to jog for whatever reason, no worries at all - just do something to make yourself feel out of breath, and try to do it every day. And if you're having trouble at work, use the 4 7 8 technique.

I really hope that helps! Our minds are our biggest enemy, and if there's one thing I've learned, that's a problem that only smart people seem to have. :)
I'm 13 and I have (yes, have.) the same case as you but I don't smoke cigarettes. I've told this to my parents and they already took me to a doctor a lot of times and they NEVER found anything wrong with me. Every year, my breath gets shorter and shorter. Right now (as I'm currently writing this) I'm wishing to just die already. I can't sleep and I have to attend school tomorrow. I can't sleep because I can't breathe. I can't help but wonder what would happen to me in the next 2-3 years. Heck, (pardon the cursing) I don't even know if I'll still last for another year. If I already can't handle it now, hpw can I een do it in the following year? Someone.. please tell me what's wrong with me..
I have had the same experience, seemingly out of the blue. After months of this problem i realized the symptoms woyld go away when i took something for heartburn. I discovered i had acid relux  when my ENT saw it on the scope. I read up on acid reflux and how it effects the breathing. See of this helps
Happie
been having shortness of breath since 2016, and m sick of it cause it makes me uncomfortable and I yawn countlessly, I am 21 years old, although I'm not scared cause I know Jehovah has my back, but iwanna know, even my doctor thinks I am fine, m just not comfortable,

on november 14th 2015, i woke up and relaised i couldnt draw proper breath, i had ecg done and everything read normal, i started exercsing alot and have lost over 30 pounds during this time, there are times the shortness of breath is intense, i had it checked out by alot of doctors and they say is anxiety, but i worry about it continuously, i am scared something happens to me, i am a 31 year old male, my wife doesn't understand sometimes what i am going through, i am bothered by it and is like i am monitoring my own breathing when i shouldnt be, i find this very difficult most times, i am glad i saw the comments here but the worry about it is intense at times."



Iv also been having shortness of breath for about a  month i first went to the Dr and they treted me for broncitis after week i still had the shortnes sof breath i went to the Dr again and she gave me a steroid inhaler. The 3rd time she did xrays and my xrays were clear i also got a chest MRI and it was nothing urgent . So i went to see a cardioligest got a EKG and ECO of my heart heart i also got a stress test done because he wanted to make sure i did not have any clogged arterys everything came back clear. It sucks i cant even walk for long periods of time without feeling like im gasping for air. In the morning a wake up feeling ok but throught the day i start feeling it again .. iv been having bad heart burn so i think that may be it iv also been feeling really really anxious for no reason ill be going back to the dr soon and see what eles can be done i hate feeing this way.