Anxiety Community
Constant shortness of breath- Anxiety??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Constant shortness of breath- Anxiety??

Hi, I am an 18 year old female. For the last 3 months I have had a constant shortness of breath that is very severe and it lasts all day and night. I have had a thorough physical examination and all tests came out clear. My doctor says it is anxiety and even though it is hard to beleive i have convinced myself that it is true. I was under a lot of stress with University and I have had trouble sleeping for years. I am waiting to see a psychiatrist but i am scared. I keep thinking what if medications do not work or what if I don't get better. The problem is very severe and I feel as though i can never breathe. I have been trying to ignore the problem by going out with friends, doing yoga but its always there and it feels terrible. I don't think i can just ignore it.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever been through this horrible experience, if it is truely anxiety, and if your condition has improved. I really just need any kind of hope or support at this point. Thanks a lot,

Samantha.
Hi ssharm,

Your doctor has cleared you and from what you are saying, this constant shortness of breath is due to anxiety. You mention a lot of worrying, what if medications don't work etc, etc. When one has the classic racing thoughts what if, just notice how fast your breathing is , you will be surprised. Some people clench their teeth whilst worrying and shallow breathe and have a lot of shortness of breath. Hyperventilation syndrome. Breathing retraining ie to breath slower helps for some, this strategy helped me when I was in my early 30's but I seem to have a fair bit of this shortness of breath too. I have TMJ and a deviated septum which doesn't help.

In your case I have a feeling that a good therapist could teach you how to breath slower, something like 10-12 breaths per minute. while resting. Once the breathing is slower , you should feel more relaxed and can work through your issues better and your anxiety should be at a more manageable level.

Regards,

Sumi
Thanks so much for your response! I am on a waiting list to see a psychologist and I am going to work really hard to get through this. I think i have made things much worse because this started at the end of my University year and i figured things would be back to normal by now. I started reading posts on google with people who have had this for years and it made me so much more worried and stressed. I will try some breathing exercises to see if they help,

Thanks again for your support.
Welcome to our little happy, anxious home!  I'm glad you found your way here.  

What you are going thru is certainly awful, but the great news...is you've been given the "thumbs up" medically, which is good.  While no one really wants to have anxiety....we SURELY do not want the answer to be..."Why, yes, you have something physically wrong which is causing your symptoms."  ACK!

Shortness of breath is one of the more common symptoms of anxiety.  It's up there on the list.  If you search the health pages under "anxiety"...you will see a very lengthy laundry list of different symptoms people experience as a result of anxiety.  It's a BIG list, and it is constantly growing,  Everyone is unique in how they react to anxiety.

You are already addressing it, and are awaiting your appt...so that's great, I applaud you for that.  The sooner you get moving on it..the quicker your recovery will be.  And, with some time, therapy, possibly meds if you choose....recovery will come for you.  I wish it happened overnight, but unfortunately anxiety is one of those things that truly DOES take some time...patience is a virtue when dealing with it.  

"What iff-ing"...which is what you describe...how you are worrying about the meds, your schooling, etc...is also very common in anxiuety sufferers.  These are the things that treatment will help you to overcome.  You will learn coping techniques, breathing exercises, etc.  You will discuss at your eval how you are feeling and what different treatment options are out there...and which ones are for "you".  It's a process.

In the meantime...and I KNOW the wait is hard when you are feeling like you do...it sounds like you are doing some good things...the yoga...spending time with friends...finding this forum...those are all things that will help you.  If you have a sec..read thru the forum...searching the (anxiety) forum for "shortness of breath", and other similar keywords...and read thru some posts...when you realize just how many people have and do go thru this...you will feel like a weight has been lifted.  New anxiety issues is scary, and isolating.  A lot of us have also written journals about out own experiences (mine are related to panic disorder and agorpahobia).

Just know that you are SOOOO not alone in this.  Anxiety is much much more common than anyone realizes.  If you have a close friend or family member that you can confide in and share what you are going thru...that lifts a lot of the burden as well...there is no need to suffer in silence.  Stick around here as well...we all are forever learning from one another, and supporting each other.  It's like free therapy.  LOL

I'm sorry you are going thru this, but you are on the right path.

Take Care...and be sure to keep us updated on how you are doing!!
Again i just want to thank you so much. Your words alone have helped me feel so much better. It is very hard because I felt like why is this happening to me but now i know there are so many people who go threw this. I am really happy i found this site because I have told family members and friends of what im going through but they don't seem to understand. My mom thinks i don't look sick so i am perfectly fine.

I am glad i can come on here and find some comfort. I will keep you updated and I am here if you need any support as well.
It is not too uncommon to have family or friends that do not understand.  They WANT to help, but often don't know how.  When I was 1st dx'ed with panic disorder...my father...God love him...and his analytical engineering way of thinking just could NOT get WHY I couldn't just "snap out of it".  

Actually...lol...he STILL, decades later doesn't get it.  But, he has learned to be supportive in spite of understanding.  And, that works for me.  I understand that unless you've lived it...you'll never fully "get it"...and that's fine by me.  As long as I get the support and compassion I need (and that takes some time for some of our loved ones)....that was all I needed.

Again, I'm glad you found us.  We are many....lol.  Many....and despite an anxiety issue/disorder...alll totally normal people.  Well, okay....some of my loved ones may argue that point for me....but you get my drift.  :0)
Here I go with lets rule out everything. Anxiety can produce asthma that would not normally come out. You might ask your doctor for a free sample inhaler to try next time this happens. An albuterol is good. Only try 1 puff and hold only 5-10 seconds not longer. See if that totally 100%+ makes you feel totally great. I say like super human. Thats what I felt like when I used my inhaler. As you can tell I have asthma. If it doesn't make you feel like that then it's probably not that. In fact if you don't have asthma it probably will do little to nothing for you. But don't try this with out talking to your doctor first. And don't buy one of those over the counter inhalers!!!! That's NOT albuterol. Those are eppi inhalers and will make your heart go zoooooom. What you want to try is albuterol given to you by your doctor. It works in about 5 minutes.

Next. This is very easy. Ever try Benedryl? It's an over the counter antihistamine. You might have some allergy that just is starting to show it self. I never had allergies to stuff and just started in the past few years. It happens. It can even be from dust. You can try something also like Claritin pills. But they will take a few hours to start working and takes a few days of repeated usage to know if it is working. Benedryl stops the allergies in just 10 minutes and wears off after about 6 hours. It does put some people to sleep so try only 1 gel pill or half the dosage. Like a childs dosage. Don't drive for a few hours it will put you to sleep. And it's recommended to ask your doctor or pharmacy before taking any medication even antihistamine.

It's probably just stress and anxiety but it's really easy to rule these other things out. The allergy is the easiest to rule out sometimes just by trying an antihistamine. Just be aware that most antihistamines will make you tired for a few hours. Like alcohol you can't drive, with the exception to claritin which is non drowsy. Not as strong, but non drowsy.

So if these don't help at least you can rule 2 more things out. :)
I want to make clear when I said anxiety can produce asthma that was trigger an asthma reaction on a person who already has asthma. Will not cause asthma on a person who otherwise never had it. :)
WHOA.. I noticed that your tag included "Pregnancy". This changes everything. Do not try any medication with out talking to a MD Doctor first. Different rules apply if pregnant. I don't know if pregnancy is present, just saw the tag. They can test for allergies with a blood test too so you won't need medication to find the results.

I don't know what your doctor tested your for, but Asthma and Allergy can be a question to ask.

But what you do describe can be anxiety and most people with anxiety describe the same feelings.
hi it sounds like a classic case of anxiety. I had my first anxiety/panic attack when i was 18. There was no real reason for it and i didn't know what it was. All that happens is you worry about lots of things even small things like 'i forgot to dust the living room' ! I didn't do it consiously though but it happened alot at night then i experianced difficulty breathing which in turn causes you to panic more. I have learnt how to deal with it. If it starts take yourself out of the situation you are in, if you can't do that then doing something to focus your mind, while it is occupied it cant worry! Try breathing in through mouth and out your nose. That helps me or reading a magazine article, looking out the window, naming animals by the alphabet......try them out and see what helps. Good luck
xxxx Gem xxxx
Thanks everyone! I looked through some of the other forums, it feels so much better knowing for sure that this is anxiety and the more educated i get, the better my mind feels about this issue. First i just want to say i am NOT pregnant. This was the first note i wrote and im not quite sure how to work this yet, i don't know how that happened haha.

Also i did have asthma when i was little, i didnt know anxiety could trigger that. However my doctor says my lungs sound very good. When this first started about 2 months ago it was soo severe that every minute i thought i was going to pass out, i used my ventalyne about 5 times, but it had no effect. It would get really bad at certain points of the day almost like a panic attack, but the shortness of breath was always there. Now it doesnt get worse or better, its always the same shortness of breath. It really scares me because i feel like my body has become immune to breathing like this and it will be like this forever.  

Also i am going to go in and get tested for allergies soon just to be sure, but i am pretty sure its anxiety.

Thanks everyonee, take care :)

i get this alots of times.and i have anxiety and ocd.
I can suggest you a altenative therapy called "Pranayam" from India which is practiced by Yogis.

There are 4 breathing exercises that you have to do and spend approximately 20 minutes in total. It will help you immensely and rather cure you of your present problems.

If it interests you write to me at ***@**** and I will forward details and the links.

Best wishes
A Dasgupta
India
The MOST important thing to remember is that you ARE being followed by your doctor...and so far...most of the basical physical causes have been ruled out.  I'm sure your doc will order any and all appropriate tests to make sure all bases are covered.  I'm just glad that you are ready to tackle the anxiety...that is great.

Keep us updated on how you are doing okay?
That breathless thing can be a real bummer; trust me, I know. I can't really add to the good advice you've received here, especially from nursegirl who is blessed with anxiety and medical knowledge and field experience -three for the price of one, as it were.

But let's just say, for the sake of argument (I love arguments, don't you? Shut up, I'm talking) that there IS something else -maybe that asthma thing, or maybe the alarm clock you swallowed when you were a kid. There is absolutely NO reason not to let your doctor know -as you probably have done- that you really, really, wonder if that could be at least a contributor. You're not going to hurt the doc's feelings, after all.

At the same time, let's also get down to brass tacks, here. Whether or not there is some independent issue with respect to your short breath thing, it is undeniable that the breathing problem is certainly causing anxiety, which gets into the feed-back loop to your brain and tends to worsen the situation. Anxiety is ALL ABOUT the brain; by the same token that you are getting the shortness of breath sensation FROM your noodle, it can also make that sensation go away. And psychology is simply a method for you brain to talk to itself.

All of this is, so far, within the realm of medical oversight, medically informed opinion. And therefore, if I were you (and, believe me, I WAS you) I would be careful about experimenting with over the counter medications and such like to "see what happens," unless your doc says, "What the heck, give it a whirl."

So, go with the program you've got and hang out with us here on the forum. By all means, please keep us up to date on progress. Oh -there WILL be progress. I've got a bundle of PM's from people here who have all said, "I can't believe how much BETTER I feel!" There's something about keeping company with folks who "get it." You'll see.
me and my wife both get the same thing a lots and i have had anxiety for 20 years i am on ativan ask about ristoril to help you sleep.
I just want to thank everyone for your responses. I am accepting the fact that this is anxiety, but this is just really really hard. My doctor says to just relax but i know that can't be it. I've been doing yoga, ive tried to just full out not think about it. But it makes me feel worse because I try to carry on with life like everythings perfect but its not. I feel like i am living in 24/7 torture with my breathing. There is nothing i can do to escape it. I am taking ativan presribed by my doctor at night and it makes me drowsy so i can sleep a little better, but the breathing is still the same. I have always been one to read and learn about things in order to believe them. I just need to know how anxiety medication will make my breathing better? I just feel like no one is being realistic with me, is there any possibility that this can last the rest of my life. That is my biggest worry, I am not afraid of dying from this because i know thats not possible.

I am sorry i keep asking questions, but i really need your helpful opinions as i am still waiting to see a psychiatrist. I appreciate everyone's efforts to help me out.
Hi there,

I just wanted to say that what you are describing with the breathing thing is EXACTLY what I am going through. I feel smothered, and in turn start to panic because it is so uncomfortable. I have no wheezing or outward signs of a breathing problem, and like you, my family members all say that I look perfectly ok too. I have days where I kind of forget about it, and then as soon as I think about my breathing--BAM it's back again.

Xanax is working for me right now. I take .5 mg when it's really bad and then I feel like I can breathe again. I try to break it in half if the feeling is not too severe. (sometimes I panic about the meds too!)

Anyways, just know that you are not alone and this is anxiety. I came here just a few days ago posting about the same thing--help, can't breathe! Turns out that there are a lot of great people here suffering from these same feelings. We can learn a lot here from each other. I agree with JSGeare in that NurseGirl has a lot of good insight. Just post, post, post if you need support. Someone will be online to reach out a helping hand:)

Peace!
Chelsea
Thanks alot..Its good to know others have the same problem as me..and that Im not the only one with a new disease! lol. It also feels good to know that Xanax is helping you, i see my Psychiatrist on June 16th ..& i literally can't wait to start treatment.

I finally had like one good day a couple of days ago but then i told myself i was better, and when it got bad again the next day, it made me feel worse all over again.

But keep in touch, let me know how you are doing...i hope you feel better
sorry to hear you are going through this but glad to hear I am not alone.  I am going through the same situation where I am gasping for air 24/7 and i honestly can't deal with it anymore.  I have been tested for everything and come out fine.  I take .5MG of xanax and it does nothing, they switched my to klonopin 1mg and I still can't breath.  I just started Paxil about 5 days a go so I am hoping this eventually stops.  I try all the breathing techniques and nothing.  I know its anxiety as there are times when i get focused on something and realize i am not gasping for air.  I just feel like there is no hope in site and I truly can't take this much longer it has been the worst experience of my life.  i don't want to keep shoving pills down my throat in hopes of eventually breathing.  Good luck with everything
Gosh it feels good to not be alone on this one. I'm a reporter and a freelance writer, so stress was something I had grown used to when this problem surfaced.
A few months ago, I was out covering something extremely vanilla (like an airforce appreciation banquet) when all of a sudden I couldn't breathe and felt like my heart was pumping out of my chest. Even though I'm only 27, I honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack.
I called my wife, who picked me up and took me to the doctor's office. They ran all kinds of tests, and I was convinced they were going to discover my lungs and heart had imploded due to my lifestyle (I've been a smoker since I was 17).
Everything came out okay, in fact, better than okay. All my insides were working great, and the doc told me I probably had an anxiety disorder.
"Ridiculous," I told him. "Anxiety is something people use as an excuse."
He then asked me to tell him what was going on in my life, and I replied I was working 12 hour days six days a week, about to get married, my fiance was pregnant, my mother had cancer, etc. etc. etc.
He then put me on a prescription for Paxil, and although I was at first dubious, I have not since looked back.
I stupidly forgot to get my prescription refilled last month ("I'm cured," I told myself), and now all the same problems are rearing their collective heads.
Trust science, take some drugs and don't worry about becoming a zombie. For people who need them they don't take anything other than the crushing nervousness away and help the person you really are come back from the abyss.
As long as I don't have the shortness of breath and the constant fear of not getting enough air, I will ALWAYS go the medication route.

Karen
I have this problem too and was puzzled about the anxiety diagnosis...in reality, its not so much anxiety as it is a for of OCD. We have become aware of our breathing and thinking about it put it into all kinds of odd patterns. Harmless but miserable to say the least.
It took six months for me to come to the grip that this is not medical but something in my " head" The good thing is, I can make it go away, and IT WILL GO AWAY. I have been told by those that had it, those that diagnose it, those that treat it, etc......and once it goes away, it doesnt come back.

The question to me is...how ? Am I supposed to stop thinking about this when it consumes my every waking moment ???

My therapist wnats me to have w consult with a psychiatrist to prescribe the right meds, which Im weary of but I know if I want this to go away, I have to trust someone, and I trust her completely.

This is the first day in six months I did nto cry(yet) Its still there, but I just laugh at it and tell it its days, or weeks, or months are numbered because my mind is stronger and I will win.

Diversion, much diversion is the key and of course, something else to "obsess" about.

Dont panic, take your magnesium/calcium and B vitamins and just relax.
What doesnt kill us makes us stronger and believe me Ive been "this close' to the edge with this and will not let it get me down.

Geoffrey
I'm glad to read that I am not alone.  I have had severe shortness of breath for the last 10 years.  On the outside I look fine so no one understands.  But I never have air.  I always feel like I am breathing out and getting very little in.  I know that it's gotten so bad that I rarely deep breathe and I probably more so chest breathe.  Being short of breathe makes me exhausted and I always look and feel completely terrible.  The worst part about this.....when it is bad which is usually most of the time...I find myself not really able to talk without feeling like I have to continuously stop and take a deep breath.  I literally have to stop talking or else I think I will pass out.  I noticed when this started that I couldn't sing anymore (like say in your car or something) I don't have enough air to hold a note.  In addition...I can barely read a book to my kids.  I cannot get enough air and I constantly have to stop and breathe and then the more I do that...the worse it gets and I can't talk at all.  Luckily I am writing right now...cause I wouldn't be able to even get enough air to have a converstation right now.  The interesting part about this is....if I was to be hanging with friends and having a bunch of glasses of wine...I would be able to breathe much better.  I can even sing on the top of my lungs.  I am not an alcholoic by any stretch but I guess it has a way of taking away the anxiety.  But sometimes that doesn't even help.  I have been tested awhile back for everything and I was o.k.....maybe I should go again?  Xanax use to work better for me...but not so much anymore.  Plus...it puts me right to sleep.  My doc prescribed paxil to me but I am scared to take it.  So...my main questions are these.....has Paxil helped anyone with this condition and has anyone had a similar experience with shortness of breath and how it affected talking and made them extermely tired and breathless?  Since this has been going on for over 10 years...I feel like this is a new way that my body has learned to breathe and it won't ever change.  It's horrible.  Thanks for your help.   Beth
Omg thank you for this post!!! I feel exactly what you feel...I wake up in the morning and have shortness of breath from morning to sleep I hate it...but I am on medication now and it seems to help a little bit...
hey i have the same problem samantha imonly 17 years of age n i had been suffering from anxiety/ panic attacks during the summer holidays. i onli fort tht i wud not make it past a certain day or i wudnt see my next birthday i have been calm recently by talking the kalms medication, but sometimes i just sit there nw atch tv or with friends n it is like theres is something stuck in my throat n stops me to make full breathes i often get pain near my heart n my doctor has told me it is due to anxiety n i shud stop worrying.
hi samantha im only 17 aswell and have been experiencing really bad breathing problems for about the last week just and i havnt said anything to anyone because im hoping it will go away on its own very soon and i decide to look it up to see if it would go away and i found this forum of yours and i have to say it has been very helpful and alot of the responses helped control it (such as the breathing techniques) well for now anyway while im concentrating writing. although to be honest i dont realy understand what anxiety is but really hope that i am not starting to develope, obviously i wont be able to tell at such an early stage but i dont want to risk letting it get  worse. i am also very sorry to hear that you have to go through this and i hope you recover soon.
I know exactly what you're talking about and am currently going through the same thing! I had this happen to me about 3 years ago and it lasted for 8 or 9 months. During that time it was all I could think about and I felt very similar to the way you do now: terrified that it would never go away and constantly upset. I felt like I could never have fun. It actually went completely away for me, but the key was acceptance. The anxiety from worrying about the breathing will only make the breathing worse; it's a horrible cycle. As impossible as it is, you have to try to live with it and stop worrying about it. The less you worry about it, the more it'll go away. Atleast that's how it was for me.

It actually just started again for me about 5 or 6 days ago. I'm currently under a lot of stress, plus I have bronchitis. Now, I feel like even when I can breathe, I can't stop thinking about it. But I'm trying to accept it again and remember that when I stop stressing and just relax, it'll go away. Try not to focus on what could happen in the future, focus on what you WANT to happen in the future, and just let things happen. Instead of trying to push the thoughts out of your head, accept them and remind yourself that only you have the power to overcome them. Take a few minutes a day to actually focus on your breathing: take slow, deep breaths and make sure your stomach is moving up and down, not your chest. let your heart rate slow, close your eyes, imagine a really happy moment in your life, and just let yourself drift off. This will calm you, if only for a minute, and remind your body how it feels to be relaxed.

Best of luck to you! I hope you get through this in no time. Just remember, you're not alone.
SSRI's are very helpful for your situation. Your body is producing excessive adrenalin and not enough cerotonin. You just need to fix things in your brain if you have trouble getting over continuous anxiety state. It will help but you have to see a psychiatrist before you consider doing so. Drugs like Alprilazole or anything fast-acting just slow down your neurons and act as sedatives. SSRI's help reuptake cerotonin in the brain with almost very few side effects. Please look it up. It has saved lots of depressed lives. Thank you.
Can Gurpinar
I am 13 years old and im a male and i have experiencing sever dificulty breathing for about 2 - 3 months. It never gets better. I went to the docter twice she said i could have anxiety and i do have acid reflux. Last night i had a little spell i could feel my heart racing and my mouth was dry my shortness ofbreath got worse.  
Reading all of your posts, I'm beginning to question myself and whether I could have anxiety. I have been diagnosed with it before but didn't really think that was it. Although I have a worrying tendency, I feel relatively ok with my life. At times, I get stressed out but it's rarely something that bothers me all the time.

However, I have constant shortness of breath, and now my chest muscles and back muscles are constantly in pain too. I'm currently sitting in a recliner alternating between ice and heat on my right shoulder blade. And tearing up because I want to be outside playing volleyball with my friends. But my breathing and back pain stopped me from that. This has been going on for about 10 months. I've been diagnosed with everything from anxiety to asthma to vocal cord dysfunction. I've had chest x rays (normal), echocardiograms (normal), sinus surgery (which was needed!), and tests on my vocal cords (normal)....tomorrow I go for allergy testing (I already know I'm allergic to everything under the sun.) I DO have silent acide reflux.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Should I assume it's really just anxiety and see a psychiatrist? (I take Ativan as needed, and it calms my panic over not breathing, but doesn't really help the breathing itself.)Do I keep trying to see if there's something physical? Perhaps chiropractor or massage would ease the back pain? Has anyone ever tried acupuncture? I know, a lot of questions, but it's so nice to see that I'm not alone. I can't tell you how difficult this year has been. I feel like I have not been able to be my fun loving, extremely active self, and not feeling good has affected my mood. Not all of my "friends" have been supportive, though I do have some who are beyond amazing. Any thoughts are appreciated.  :)
I have suffered with anxiety for years im 26 have 3 children, work and am at college. Recently i have had constant breathlessness but i dnt feel stressed.I to hav bin docs and they told me im healthy and said it was anxiety and hav prescribed me propranolol, has any1 else taking these? im worried because on the list of possible side effects it said it can cause breathlessness so i have not taken them. this is ruining my life and cant do anything with out feeling breathless which turns into panic. Cant believe there are so many of you that feels like this. No1 who i no understands how im feeling and just tell me to pull myself together which makes me feel like im goin mad!
It's pron not anxiety, I would get a chest x-ray
have you been tested for allergies. Contact a good allergy doctor and get the scratch test done....I have had shortness of breath all day everyday. It started seven years ago and I was told I had "anxiety" by a pulmonologist who examined me. The problem continued and I had good years and bad years, good months and bad months. Seven years later (2011) I go to an allergist when the symptoms peak to an all time high and find out I am allergic to everything. I mean everything. Cats, dogs, dust, pollen, grass, oaktrees. Now I am confused as to whether it is anxiety or allergies. I am taking allergy shots (started 2 weeks ago). My O2 sats have been good but I am constantly fighting for air doing the fake yawning thing and feel a tightness in my chest. I am on singulair and pulmicort which does nothing to prevent attacks. I also take albuterol which rarely seems to help. So what the crap is going on with me. THis is ruining my life. I feel like I can't leave my house. Every time I drive the breathing gets worse. I am paranoid about taking the allergy shots, afraid I will have an allergic reaction (anaphalaxis). I want my life back
hi this is my first post i was first told by my doctor i was suffering from panic and anxiety around 3 yrs ago i was put on a anti depressant but was changed a while later because i lost a lot of weight and things improved but then around 5 months ago i started getting short of breath for no reason so i went to the doctors and they said it was my asthma playing up just take my blue inhaler as needed, that didnt help so went back again and i have suffered from hayfever before and recently i went for a test and im allergic to mould spores and mixed pollens, so i tryed a anti histamine but didnt really notice a change then i went back to the doctors and the changed my inhaler but still the same problem then about 3 weeks ago i was in my room and started feeling short of breath and began to panic and it got so bad i went up the hospital my asthma was fine and he said it was my anxiety so i went back to the doctors the next day and they put me on a higher dose of the same tablets and gave me a 1mg tablet to put under my tounge if needed which i havent used because sometimes i panic about taking tablets also im low on folic acid, vit c and a few b vitamins, will this ever get any better?? i no its down to me to change it but any help and advice would be greatly welcomed. i aslo see a counciler
thanks for reading
i have just been prescribed propranol for anxiety . I am 27 with 3 kids and constantly breathless . It first struck me wilst moving house on monday and been with me ever since.  Been on the meds since friday after 2 visits to hospital to get tests all cleared and nothing has happened yet . I still feel the same and i am getting really upset as its my birthday tomorrow and was meant to be going out with the children to winter wonderland. Cant even make the dinner without being out of breath. I just hope these meds kick in soon and help me :( Dont suppose anyone knows how long meds take to kick in ????
Hello, I've always had anxiety as long as I can remember. But experienced my first full blown panic attack this past July. after an emergency room visit, and many tests on my heart and lungs, I was sent home. feeling very good that I wasn't having a heart attack  the anxiety was still there. After that I've experienced trouble with breathing anticipating another panic attack. Recently my trouble breathing became more frequent, and now every day. I went back to the doctor (today) to have my lungs checked again, knowing my heart was ok. He said my lungs are fine and suggested therapy, but I was still worried about my constant shortness of breath regardless.  I am going through the same thing and it made me feel better that there's other people that can feed off each other, and not feel alone. Reading these forums I feel that everything is going to be OK, and I'm not dying, and YOU not alone out there.. Good luck!!!
im 15 years old and i know im young but i have shortness of breath an it gets really bad randomly, iv ben to the doctor n all the test come out clear . its a scary feeling like im goin to die . but i dont think i will its not a mind game there is something wrong n i guse they dont have the technolagy to figer it or wat but it needs to go  away i feel yur pain trust me . sum times i dont  even wana live sumtimea when it happends  .
I completely understand yu I have been going through this anxiety for a month ;the constant shortness of breath ,sweating ,dizziness,fatigue it hasnt been that long but my symtoms (symptoms) make me feel like its been forever ;i stoped working going out doing normal things I always did.I never want to be alone because I always feel scared after my first panick attack Ive tried every tea available ; ive gone to the er plenty of times thinking I was haveing a panick attack or stroke sometimes I even think im going crazy .I went online &purchased these natural pills called anxiclear its supposed to be rated 1 for anxiety im hopeing this works because im running out of options btw yu should check it out @anxiclear.com or email me itll be good to talk to someone who understandstrust me peaple who dont go through simply dont understand
I am 21 years old,female! for the past month or so I have been feeling tightness in my throat and chest! It is unbearable, there is no pain just th tightness! I am a constant worryier and think I am dying when in reality I'm probably not! Went to doctors and bloods were normal, ecg was normal but fast heart rate, which has slowed now, listened to my chest and lungs through stethascope and said everything sounded fine, oxygen levels were 98%! What could be causing this tightness?? Plz help
I've been having this problem for almost 2 wks now. It's very scary & my doctor says it's anxiety, which I'm having a hard time believing. I'm severely short of breath to the point where I feel as if I'm going to pass out.
I have shortness of breath all the time that leads to chest tightness once in a while... When I get really bad I'll start sweating , feal like I need to puke if I  don't puke, and m heart races.... They say it's anxiety and I'm trying to cope with it.... This form made me feal better, also the ativan I'm on helps out from time to time.... I just want to be normal again tho and not have to take pills to become normal
I am having the same problem.constant shortnes of breath,also light headed tingling head and arms.constant crying because I think I an dying.I an a 25yelp old mother of 3,and I love my children dearly,sometimes I think I an dying and I even wrote then a note last week as the breathless feeling was so intense I thought I would never see my babies again.I an a little over the top and everything scares me.how can I get rid of this feeling? I have been to my gp,and had no real advice.going back now in a hour to see if I can be prescribed a medication to help me sleep

do we have hope? can this breathing nightmare go away? :'(
i'm 18 now and have been dealing with anxiety since i was about 12. although i know when a panic attack is coming..i still can't deal with them. over the last few months it has all gotten so much worse. constantly out of breathe which turns into a panic attack. and i'm having about 2 or 3 panic attacks a day. is there any self help ways to cope?? because i have really bad panic attacks when i go anywhere near the doctors...
Reading this has made me realise I can do this, I really thought I was alone! Some days I feel low with it all, this is all new to me as it all began after having my daughter this march. I've had all test done and all have come bk fine. It helps to know that u are all goin through this , to have someone that understands .
I also suffer from shortness of breath. After havng read a great deal about it online, there can be many causes. One i suspect I might have is COPD, so Im about to go visit the doctors and get that checked out. If you have been smoking, or recently inhaled something that you shouldn't, then ask your doctor for the COPD spirometry test.. just to be sure :) Best of luck to you all, and my we get our breaths back!
i am 19 a few mounth ago i stared felling like i needed to yawn sometimes to catch my breath then over time it was constantly it made me feel like i was going to stop breathing or something and thin i had my first panic attack and after googleing it and wachting videos on youtub i have understod what i was going thro it was anxitey i have been triying to find ways to help me with no medication i dont want to feel the need to yawn all the time it suckes i just stared some breathing techniques i think thay help a little and all so knowing that this will not kill me and it is all in my head i need to face or confront thangs that i dont want to do i have social anxiet and genarl anxiety it make me scared to talk to people and thangs like lurning to drive  ut i know if i face my fers head on it can really help me i just hope i correct this problem i am haveing
does anyone els feel the need to yawn all the time?
I have had my fair share of problems due to anxiety, and i always look the symptom up to see if others are experiencing it, well.. what i always see is questions but no answers because once people have figured out there miracle solution, they dont think to post it to let others know and it always leaves me hanging. Well i have found a way to strongly minimise this symptom. so you feel like you can't get that good breath or maybe you struggle for a few minutes to get it and when you finally do it only relieves you for a few minutes then you want another one?

- Breathe OUT (the more you breathe out the more you can breathe in)
- DON"T TRY TO CATCH YOUR BREATHE
this is the biggest cure, it might be hard at first to not go for the big breathes but believe me it works. I challenged myself to not get a big breath in for a whole day it was hard but the next day i would say my shortness of breath was about 25% better, then i kept doing it and it kept getting easier and easier and better and better.  this is due to super hyperventialtion.
If your having an episode where your shortness of breath is really severe,
breathe slowly through your nose, you can also place your two index fingers just below and to the outside of your nostrils and spread your fingers out toward your ears (this opens up your airways)
-cfoncentrate on how much you CAN breathe
it might feel like you could die but you are getting all the air you need everythings ok.
all this advice is obviously once you've been assessed by a doctor and given the all clear from any more serious  ilness's
C402 is Comment
gyspy09 commented on ianwojc's status
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...