Anxiety Community
Could anxiety be hereditary
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Could anxiety be hereditary

Does anyone beleive that anxiety could be hereditary, My mom, aunts, grandmother have all suffered from anxiety/panic disorder.
Related Discussions
11 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
My mom, sister and 2 brothers have anxiety along with me. I believe that it is hereditary, but I also no people who have anxiety and nobody else in the family has it. It's really hard to say.
Blank
Yes, there is a genetic link.
Blank
165308_tn?1323190145
That is very interesting...
Blank
I truly Believe it can be genetic, I suffere panic attacks and it is only now that I realise that my mothers asthma attacks she use to have were really panic attacks. My 18 year old daughter now suffers with panic attacks and I can honestly tell you that she has never witnessed me having one and has never known I suffer from Anxiety and Panic Disorder. So its not as if its phsycosymatic,
Maybe there should be more scientific research done in this area
Blank
560272_tn?1311353893
I think so, my family has it in it's line and I have it too!
Blank
573569_tn?1278633255
it is. the first time i had a panic attack, the dr ask me if anyone in my family had anxiety before, i didnt know why he would ask, so i ask why, then he told me that it was genetic. i have two aunt that suffer from anxiety.
Blank
358304_tn?1395085884
Theres really no way of telling.

Here's the deal though. Why should we be worried about genetics?

Even if it is genetic... we CAN BEAT IT STILL. =)

AMEN?
Blank
there is a genetic link in anxiety however is very hard and would be very hard to tell.  my grandmother had severe GAD as well.
Blank
308787_tn?1201684948
I strongly beleave it does run in familys I have 2 cousions with axiety I myself have anxiety due to long term benzo use, and for the last 5years my daughter has been suffering from illness anxiety, she fears she has things wrong with her and that alone causes all her anxiety. be strong you can beat it at least when you have others in the family that suffer anxiety you have always someone to talk you through it,
take care,
Janis.
Blank
Im 32 and suffered from anxiety, depression and panic attacks most of my life.  I have a daughter who turns 2 in june, hope i havent passed this gene onto her, she seems to fall over alot more than kids the same age.  Am i been silly?
Blank
480448_tn?1403547723
David...welcome.  While it is believed that anxiety disorders have a genetic component, that shouldn't have anything to do with your daughter's balance or gait.  Even anxiety is VERY hard to evaluate in very young children, due to the their rapid development and so many normal "stages" they go through.  Even children without a genetic predisposition to anxiety can be extremely anxious as children.

Children at that young age all vary with their coordination, with some being much more clumsy and accident prone than others.  That is normal.  Kids all have different levels of energy, activity, different environments that they are trying to learn to navigate.  Really, it doesn't sound concerning at all.

Definitely discuss this with your daughter's pediatrician if you remain concerned, but I would guess it is nothing to be alarmed about at all.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
6942344_tn?1399545139
Blank
Amandag78 commented on A beautiful hard day....
1 hr ago
6942344_tn?1399545139
Blank
Amandag78 commented on travel_melb's status
1 hr ago
6942344_tn?1399545139
Blank
Amandag78 commented on Dear MH Friends..Upda...
1 hr ago
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms
Start Tracking Now
Top Anxiety Answerers
480448_tn?1403547723
Blank
nursegirl6572
PA
Blank