Anxiety Community
Could this be GERD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Could this be GERD?

Okay... so I've been so worried about my changes in bowel movements... the way my food digests... my stomach burning when its empty... and ive been getting this tight throat feeling... but it actually does feel like its getting tight. and sometimes i freak out... and have to lay on my side just to feel like i can make my throat feel better and more relaxed.... i have had issues with acid reflux in the past, but not all the time... where i can feel burning coming up my throat... but ive heard that you can also had acid reflux issues without the feeling of the burning...

i just noticed my throat gets tight feeling after I eat! or when I feel full.

And every morning when I get out of bed... I usually feel the need to go to the bathroom.

This started about a month and a half ago or so.... My dr. thought my change in bowel/digestion issues was just IBS caused my anxiety... and that my throat feeling was just anxiety too...

I can say when I take a couple of ativan, I seem to relax more... and it's not too intense... but the feeling is usually there.

I was just wondering if this could be GERD? And if there is a way I can see if it's GERD? Like taking Prilosec or something for a few days and see if the symptoms get better?

My Dr. put me on Paxil 10mg.... and .5mg ativan as needed.

I've heard you are not supposed to take an antacid with Ativan... is that true?

Just wondering if any of you guys suffer from GERD... and think these symptoms could be GERD?

Also, if it gets really intense... I can get a sensitive gag reflex... And I have the urge to cough sometimes. I do have lots of sinus drainage in my throat at times.

What are your thoughts?

I'm gonna just monitor what I eat/drink... and monitor my throat tightness feeling. This morning its not bad at all.

I see my Dr. in 3 weeks... after the Paxil kicks in... and if my symptoms arent getting better... maybe I'll ask him about this possibility.

Because I can't determine if my anxiety is being caused by my symptoms... or if my anxiety is causing my symptoms etc?

Thanks for listening.
Your bowel habits are definately IBS/anxiety. I've gone through everything in the past digestive wise, even had the starts of an inflammatory bowel disease at one point with bleeding and all. Don't worry about going every morning at least you're regular!

The post nasal drip can certainly make the throat feel closed off too. I would suggest getting the sinusitis addressed, as it can also cause a wet like cough. A nasal steroid spray will reduce the mucous production. You can also try doing sinus irrigations with salt water a few times/day to see if this helps reduce the post nasal drip.

GERD can also cause a dry cough with no other symptoms. Sometimes what happens is the acidic contents are aspirated into the the throat area or lungs. Excess mucous will be produced on the vocal chords, as they much more sensitive to the effects of acid. Your doctor can test for this type reflux, it's called LPR. The treatment is more aggressive for this type of reflux disease.

But you are probably having anxiety as well, because you don't understand all of the symptoms your body is making. Just looking into post nasal drip and GERD should help give you some answers. For the rest try to relax.
The medical solutions for GERD and post nasal drip will all make them worse over the long term.  For example, for GERD, they will give you a medication that suppresses stomach acid.  Your stomach needs acid to digest protein, so it will rebound and just make more, and you'll be on this cycle forever.  Same with the post nasal drip.  My own opinion is that these are best dealt with through natural remedies that don't cause these rebound effects, so you might want to see a naturopath or holistic nutritionist or homeopath or such to help with those problems.  Try in the meantime drinking a couple ounces of aloe vera juice every day and taking digestive enzymes with your meals and see if that helps any, and for the post nasal drip you might try a quercitin combination.  There's lots to try.  As to the anxiety, well, that's the real issue, and that's a harder nut to crack.  Good luck.
Thanks buddy for the advice. =)
Amandag78 commented on In hell right now
15 mins ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
ditch6755 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...