Anxiety Community
Could we have one place for things you do that help you with anxiety? ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Could we have one place for things you do that help you with anxiety?

I would love one place to come  to learn different things to do to help with anxiety--Perhaps each can list a few techniques--and we will have a reference place easy to find and use!
google relaxation response------the harvard choice is a good one (many very instructive ones here)----and i have one you can copy and paste (sorry don't know how to make it direct)-----one of my magic words i use (see the instructions) is "Beach" and i got that from watching our lab shasta go nuts whenever we said that to her (good 'ol conditioning) tail wagging--straight to the door--etc.     shoulda seen her when we said "vet"!
      I also use different breathing patterns----and walk walk walk. Used to be run run run---but.........

http://www.med.umich.edu/painresearch/patients/Relaxation.pdf    
i hope you find something--anything that helps--0-even just a little.

omhome
Well----just thought of it!!  So important! Duh?
We could also share those things we Do Not Do.
Like for me---
Drink more than one cup of coffee---if any.
Yes i still drink a little---Just a tiny little bit.
Really.

And   oh yes i like humor.
Of any kind
Anytime
Really

And i like poetic
Expression
As you can See.

Enough from me
Anybody else wanna help out here
At this thread
tricks of the trade?

omhome
Alright----post with what works for you and what you are doing (or what you are avoiding) for the anxiety. We can all benefit from your experience.
omhome
i am so sorry lydia. I forgot to ask you what it is you do for your anxiety on a daily basis---or during a crisis situation> Any tricks that might help some of us?  Thanks again   om shanti
one more trick i use every day that is very calming and strengthening to the nervous system..I take a warm shower in the morning----no that's not the trick.
The trick is to finish with a very cold shower and stay in it as long as i can. Sounds so simple and simplistic of me to share--i am sure you all know about it---just a reminder and maybe you will do it and see its' effect for yourselves.
Anyone else care to contribute? Tricks to help with anxiety?

omhome
That's good but i use music to vanish my anxiety. Music has  a power to take you to a place where normally you can't go.
to fight my tinnitus and daily issues, I count backward form 100, and if I make mistake I start again. this helps to pass the day.
thanks clinton----i dance around (no one looking) and play the pots and pans!
and hello dalubaba----what about starting at 1000!  Thanks for posting.
Here is a place to list those links etc if you like folks.   omhome
i forgot to add a nice touch to do after the cold shower rinse (after hot).
Have a warm towel ready---i warm mine up by the air vent. The warm towel is so relaxing---stress melts away into the softness. Just relax a moment---and enjoy that part--that start---to the day. Just one more little thing to help.   omhome
Here is one way to use breath to calm your nervous system and help reduce anxiety that has been show to work for many people and many conditions. Just a little something to try that might help you, And you might like the calming effects felt almost immediately.

ok   so inhale-refresh. Any position(back straight) is fine just do it when you remember but every morning for sure. The feeling-state or your mental state (i call it inner weather) during refresh is like this===when we said the word "beach" to our lab there was instant JOY---tail going whole body excited happy happy dog---or the feeling of a child night before or morning of christmas---or you before the trip to bora bora!!That feeling! Imagine it! Really. imagination is powerful. The mind can believe it. Like placebo effect.  Or conditioning.  If you like add a word or image (or both) to help. So maybe say the word refresh (or beach) as you inhale and feel sunshiney. The more you practice this (tailor it to you) the more effective and reliable it becomes. At first just pretend you feel the refreshment. What can you lose.  
      Now don't hold or force your breath---just relaxed but full inhale---primary nutrient!! Elixir.  I know it sounds weird or hokey or?  but is based on scientific principles.    Give it a try and see.   There is yet more to it than that but first  just this step..  
      Next time the exhale-relax practice.
      Let me know if you like this or have questions about it.
omhome
clinton and all: here is a great place for all kinds of music and sounds for healing---relaxing---meditating---etc.---
You can just google soundsofhealing---sound therapy---etc.-- and you will get a lot of wonderful choices to explore.
enjoy
in joy
omhome

www.collegeofsoundhealing.co.uk
The College of Sound Healing Web Site
The College of Sound Healing offers Sound Healing with qualified Sound Healers, healing with Sound and Sound Therapy, and Sound Healing Training for you to learn Healing with the Voice.
I know that when I am out walking, I get a little anxious and forget to 'slow down'. What I do, is bring along a handkerchief, and stop for a minute. I take the handkerchief over my mouth, close off my nose, and breath into the handkerchief for a couple of breaths until I slow down my breathing. I am actually exhaling into the handkerchief. This helps me focus and restart me day. Just food for thought?
thank you for the post madman and my favorite "meditation" is walking. Slower the better---try really slow-motion---harder than you think but brings such calming to the body--the breath--the mind.
And simple---and free---like the breath techniques---
So here again are a few things to do right now for your Pain---enjoyable things---natural things----try 'em.      
omhome
anybody else got a tip for what to do right now----this minute----
or what to do as a preventative ---what to practice daily?
any help or advice.....put it here!

om
If you want to do something like this, that's great, but MH is not going to create a forum specifically for this subject. They created "The Question of the Month" to encompass this idea.

My advice would be for you to start a "Group," which YOU could name anything you wanted and YOU would be in charge of it. It would be listed at the bottom of the main index page where all the other groups are listed and you could give people the link on this forum.

If you would like me to give you the information on how to set your group up, let me know.
Nemaste
Greenlydia
That's really kind of you and i will think about that----and i will stop posting here. And the question of the month?  It does cover it! And i like that idea.
     Hey!  Thanks greenlydia----i appreciate any help i can get .
     Namaste
     Omhome
You don't need to stop posting here, omhome............that wasn't what I meant at all. But the boards are really more for "quick" questions and answers than deep, ongoing discussions. A group would offer a much better venue for really delving into a subject, which, if I'm not mistaken, is what you'd like to see.

On the right hand side of this page you'll find this box...............

Related Forums:

Communities

Experts

Groups

I believe all you need do is click on the "Groups" and that will walk you through setting one up.
I'm sure the MODS or Cheryl will be more than happy to help with any questions you have about getting your Group up and active.
I wish you the best
Nemaste
Greenlydia
TristenAsz commented on Why You Might Have A ...
1 hr ago
melimeli taking metformin for blood ... Comment
1 hr ago
brice1967 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...