Anxiety Community
Cyclical Thought Patterns: Can't stop thinking about anixety. Help...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Cyclical Thought Patterns: Can't stop thinking about anixety. Help.

Hi, I have recently had a resurge of anxiety. My anxiety takes on the specific form of constant thoughts about anxiety...my mind literally can't concentrate of anything that isn't related directly to my anxiety. The more negativity that my thoughts generate the worse I feel. I have been through this before, and for the last two years I only thought about my anxiety a few times a day. the issue is that I started feeling better when for a year and a half I was unemployed and able to occupy my thoughts with the internet all day and relax...I guess I thought I was over it, but now that it's come back I am freaking out...it's making sleep impossible, which makes work impossible. I know I have been through it before and felt good, even able to get off the 40mgs of Celexa I used to take, but I am afraid that the only cure is to stay home all day, which I obviously can't due.
Any help or info greatly appreciated. My wife is pregnant and I want to be there for her.
Thanks.
Tags: cyclical, thoughts, thought patterns, Anixety, can't stop thoughts
i have this exact problem i will sit at home all day and think about my anxiety and fear that it must be something worse, i also have problems sleeping. The more i think about it the more intense my symptoms are. But i think staying at home isnt the option, i havent had it long but ive learned that overcoming the fear helps and positive thinking does also. I think occupying your mind on your work will help. Thanks
Have you thought about going back to your doctor and revisiting taking Celexa again? You have more stressors on you now with the pregnancy of your wife. Give yourself a break.  You can be there for your wife.  Explore all your options with a professional and keep your head on straight. You have been doing what sounds to be like an excellent job so don't freak out and make it worse. It is hard but you can do it. Write back if you want.
I know that the best way to combat the anxiety is to stay positive and use relaxation techniques...but I was trying to learn to cope without the meds. I liked the Celexa because it helped deal with the body anxiety and panic attacks, which helped me deal with the mental aspects. I have heard that Buspar mentioned for helping control obsessive thought patterns. I was thinking about talking to a psychiatrist about this when my med insurance kicks in.
Yeah, you are on the right track.  I have finally gotten mine under control after years.  It came down to the fact that once I was able to resolve other issues and heal inside, I just had no time for my anxiety anymore.  It became a mental showdown.  I took Klonopin along with other anti- anxiety drugs for about 25 years.  Now I take nothing for anxiety.  When I go out in public now, my mind tries to challenge me to an anxiety episode and I basically tell myself OK bring it on.  The new me wins every time now.  It gets easier.
I hope your insurance kicks in soon.  Deep breathing and relaxation like you said work pretty well. Confront those thoughts.  Go way out of your comfort zone and trust the thruth, reality, and your gut.  Trust yourself.  Do not be harsh with yourself.  Keep posting.  WendyJones
Anybody out there have a similar problem with unstoppable, repetitive anxiety thoughts? Just curious if anybody has gone through something remotely close...I feel alone in the mental trap and would love to hear that I am not the only one who has faced this.
Thanks Wendy...it's always super encouraging when survivors hang around and give comfort to those of us still dealing with it!
i've been stuck in an anxiety trap for over a year now.  basically all day, every day, my anxiety is so intense and expected that i don't even recognize it as anxiety - i just know i can't sit still, i can't focus, and i feel terribly discontent and drained.  one of the few things i've taken a habit of actually focusing my attention to is attempting to diagnose myself. i spend hours 2-3 nights each week reading different mental disorder descriptions and crying over what i think it is i might have, MUST have. this process, in part, has led to more depression in knowing that indeed something is wrong with me but not having more information, a more legitimate explanation of what might really be wrong with me.

both marijuana and vyvanse have helped to alleviate my anxiety in different ways. with either/both, i am able to better focus my attention, a higher level of self-esteem, and much broader acceptance of myself and my surroundings.

Wendy you hit the nail on the head with the hammer, or whatever that saying is! It's all about allowing yourself, giving yourself permission to confront the anxious thinking. Look at those thoughts and the emotions accompanied with them. Don't run from them, don't rely on distracting your mind with the numbness of the internet. Your anxiety isn't there to hurt you. It's there to tell you to heal something that you haven't healed. Trust yourself, and allow yourself to feel & heal.

All the best
<3
specialmom commented on The worst week.
51 mins ago
deedeenumber1 commented on deedeenumber1's status
1 hr ago
deedeenumber1 joined this community
Welcome them!
1 hr ago