Anxiety Community
Cymbalta to Prozac Transition

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Cymbalta to Prozac Transition

HI

I've been taking Cymbalta for a few years.  It's not covered by my new insurance company so I asked my psychopharmacologist if I could change to something else.  He suggested Prozac.  I took Prozac many years ago with no problem so I agreed.

At his suggestion, I stopped the Cymbalta cold turkey (90mg) and switched the next day to Prozac (60 mg).  Four days after I started I began to get pounding heartbeat-- but I dont' feel nervous or anxious-- just feels like my heart is beating out of my chest.  

I did a websearch and don't see anything that talks about rapid heartbeat associated with either withdrawal from Cymbalta or as a side effect of Prozac so I'm REAL confused.  And my Doc is away for a week!!!!! Not sure what to do....any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jenny - I take 120 mgs of Cymbalta (have done so for almost a year) and am considering going back to Prozac (took it years ago).

Since your doc is away, I suggest you call his office and ask to see another doctor there.  Don't wait till he returns, okay?

You are in my thoughts.  

I also can no longer afford the cost of Cymbalta.
Considering you have been taking cymbalta for a few years I think it was EXTREMELY careless of your doctor to have you quit it cold turkey.  You should have slowly tapered off of the cymbalta while tapering onto the prozac.

Did you quit cold turkey because you couldn't afford one more refill to do a proper taper of the cymbalta?
Avatar n tn
hey jenny.     go to lillycares.com..... it is a program based on income eligiblity, ex:Your income must be below certain levels, based on the number of people in the household (for example: $33,000 or less for one person, $44,000 for a family of two, or $67,000 for a family of four). Income limits depend on family size.  anyway, there is an application you can print from the same website, fill out your information, have the doctor fill out his, and then they will fax it to lilly cares. then the company lilly (who is the maker of cymbalt) will ship four months worth of your medicine for free to your doctor for he/she to dispense to u.    hope this helps!!!! good luck to you!!!! i just had to do this, the cost was making me even more depressed...haha.  take care
Avatar n tn
Her doctor was not careless. read the literature and talk to doctors. You can move onto prozac after stopping cymbalta with no effect. Some doctors tell patients to take both for a couple weeks. The literature has shown no difference between them. I have completed the change with only sleepiness--so take it at bedtime. best regards, lily
I realize that this thread was a long time ago but I was wondering if you ever did switch from Cymbalta to Prozac, and if so did you do cold turkey or wean and how it went.
Thanks so much,
Thanks so much,
otakugenx added the Weight Tracker
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
melimeli commented on melimeli's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms