Anxiety Community
Cymbalta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Cymbalta

I was recently prescribed Cymbalta for severe Anxiety. I am taking it but I haven't been on it long enough for it to start working yet. Does anyone have any personal experience with this medication? Does anyone know how well this medication will work? I am worried it won't work at all. My Psychiatrist has tried me on so many different medications.
Hi there!

You have to keep in mind that these things take time.  It can take up to 4-6 weeks before noticing obvious improvements.  When we're feeling lousy, waiting can be a hard thing to do, for sure.

I haven't taken Cymbalta personally, but I have seen some really good feedback about it, both professionally, on this site, and from a few of my friends who have taken it.  My one friend said she felt like a cloud had lifted.  

We can be so self defeating when it comes to these things.  You're already expecting it not to work.  I understand you may have had a hard time finding a med that works for you, but you can't assume this will be the same way.  

TRY to have a positive attitude, tell yourself it IS going to work for you.  Also, keep yourself busy, distract yourself as much as possible.  There is SO much to be said for a positive outlook.  The more you sit around thinking about it, wondering if it's working, concentrating on how you feel, the more discuraged and frustrated you'll become.  I know it's hard, but TRY.

You also may end up needing a higher dose.  Most times, people are started out on a fairly low dose, for the purpose of lessening any side effects.  Therefore, at the end of that 4-6 week period, even if you aren't feeling a TON better, it STILL doesn't necessarily mean it is not going to work.  At that point, you would regroup with your doc, and discuss the next logical step, which is usually a dosage increase.

Please hang in there...my fingers and toes are crossed that this is going to do the trick.  Make sure, if you haven't already, that you seek out therapy in conjunction with the Cymbalta.

Best of luck to you...keep us updated!
Hi there!

Best of luck to you...keep us updated!
Wow! I didn't even notice I was doing that. I guess I was thinking about Cymbalta negatively before giving it a chance. I didn't mean to. It's just that I've gone through the waiting period for so many different medications now. It is hard to keep positive! I thought reading about some successes that people have had on the drug would help. It probably would. Ultimately I need to decide to think positively. Thank you so much for this change in perspective.
ditch6755 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Food Safety for Both Hot and Cold F...
13 hrs ago by gymdandee
lulu747 commented on Feeling real and tryi...