Anxiety Community
Depersonalization and anxiety??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Depersonalization and anxiety??

I am a 14 year old girl and my whole life I've been very happy, I've never had any real issues.. the only thing is I had a bit of anxiety. I would always be so afraid that my friends secretly didn't like me or had to check and make sure the door was locked or the stove was off several times, and many other irrational such as people dying, etc. I would also have a bit of OCD when my anxiety was particularly bad, where I would have to hoard things from the kitchen and put them in my room, touch doorknobs a specific way, etc.

In August was going through a stressful situation (switched schools, my dad was going through a rough time, brother moved out)which I didn't think had such a big effect on me, but one night, at the beginning of September, I got a bad headache and got an irrational fear that I had a concussion and was going to die, so I freaked myself out and had a terrible panic attack. Ever since then, I've been experiencing 24/7 depersonalization and derealization. This is terrifying to me and I've been to many depersonalization forums and other websites that say it is a dissasociative disorder that is unrelated to anxiety, that it is incurable, and many other things. There are many people on the dp forums that say they've had this for 15-30 years and just the thought of that drives me crazy! So I would like to, is there such a thing as depersonalization disorder unrelated to anxiety? And does it matter if it's been 24/7 for almost 2 months? I feel very detached from everyone around me, things look weird, it seems like I am not present at all and I barely even remember who I am! Looking in the mirror or at pictures of myself frightens me. I would really like to receive some guidance as many forums and websites say that this is more than anxiety and it is a condition that lasts for years and years! I really just want my life back. Please if you could answer these questions and give me some reassurance, I have lost my interest in EVERYTHING. As a matter of fact, I can't even believe this is me writing this. Is it possible for somebody who had such low levels of anxiety to experience 24/7 depersonalization?? Thank you and your help would be GREATLY appreciated as I feel very emotionally numb right now. I can't feel ANYTHING.  PLEASE HELP! ITS LIKE IM NOT EVEN WRITING THIS EVERYTHING SEEMS SO UNREAL IDK WHO I AM.. IS IT ONLY ANXIETY OR IS IT A DISORDER? SOME PEOPLE SAY ITS ANXIETY, OTHERS ITS A DISORDER I AM SO CONFUSED AND SHOCKED THAT THERE IS SO LITTLE KNOWLEDGE ON THIS TOPIC!
Have you talked to your parents about how you're feeling? If not, I would recommend that you do.
It does sound like you have anxiety and depression to me. If this is what's going on it is very treatable with the right therapy and possibly medication. You've been through a lot of stressful things lately and that can cause anxiety and depression in some people.
While it's true some people suffer symptoms for long periods, others don't.  Since you're very young and you pretty much know where the recent stress is coming from, I'd think getting quickly to see a good psychologist to work on this will help a lot.
Amandag78 commented on Amandag78's status
42 mins ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
The longer you sit, the shorter you...
2 hrs ago by gymdandee