Detoxing valium after long-term use
Has anyone here been able to come off valium after many years of chronic use? How long did it take before you began to feel a little normal/better once you stopped completely? Thanks for any replies.

A little history - I have been taking benzos for over 30 years. I have been through several nasty withdrawal experiences in my life...once from xanax and once from klonopin. I entered detox for the klonopin many years ago and it was a miserable experience. I thought I was going to die literally. As soon as I was discharged, I went to my doctor and begged him to put me on valium because I felt so awful. After many years on valium, I started becoming tolerant to that also. I don't know what else to do. I am so sick of being on benzos and tolerance for anxiety and panic. It would not be so bad if the drugs still worked but they don't so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have read Professor Heather Ashton's site and it has a lot of useful info. and tips. I would like to talk to anyone who is going through what I am going through right now. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Are you working with your Dr on a tapering program? I recommend taking this very slowly. We're all so different that's it's really hard to say how long it will take to be completely off this med.
Are you in any kind of therapy? If not, I highly recommend it. Have you ever tried an antidepressant to help with your anxiety? Several of them not only help depression but anxiety too.
Honestly, most doctors don't have any idea how to successfully detox long-term benzo patients. Their detox protocols are woefully inadequate. Many doctors falsely believe they can taper some patients in as little as 6 weeks from high potency benzos like klonopin and xanax that they have been on for years. Sadly, patients know much more than pdocs, tdocs, and GP's about benzo withdrawal. I have even had to educate my own doctor. I am mostly looking for others who are trying to withdraw from benzos or have successfully withdrawn to share stories and talk about experiences. Thanks for your reply.
I have to agree with you. I was lucky with my Dr because he knew so much about anxiety and these meds. When I was ready to get off of a benzo he really worked with me on a safe tapering plan. He listened to me and I was so grateful for that.
I asked in my previous post if you've tried an antidepressant because they can help you get off the benzo. You've been there done that and you know when tapering that you're anxiety can go through the roof.
Have you been able to taper any at all on your own? I would recommend doing as much research as you can to try and find a Dr that specializes in benzo detox.
Many of us have been through this so I'm hoping more people will comment to give you their experiences.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Addiction-Substance-Abuse/show/77

I saw your thread so i wanted to tell you about our forum we have also.  We would be happy to help you with this as we have many members who have successfully come off benzo's.  We have many different natural ways to help ease the transition.  I hope to see you there.   sara
Thanks dominosarah. I will check out the link you provided. :-)
Im currently being weined off valium. It ***** so bad
Are you doing a slow taper?  Make sure to stay hydrated.  Protein drinks are good for you if your appetite is suffering.  Getting some sun also helps.  I know this is tough but brighter days are ahead.  Stay strong, you can do this!
Yes a slow taper but my panic attacks are terrible.
I couldn't agree more with all of the comments above.  It's SO important to kind a GOOD doctor who knows their way around benzos, in order to be properly tapered.  While it won't be easy no matter what, it doesn't have to be as torurous as it often is, with tapers that are way too fast, and docs who don't fully understand how to approach weaning off benzos the right way.

Best of luck to all of you...we're here to support you...keep posting, and be sure to update us and let us know how you're doing!