Anxiety Community
Digestive problems with nervous stomach/anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

25 male. Have been having anxiety for about a month... and have seen a change in my stools. I'm kinda embarrased to talk about this. But just want to know if that is normal with anxiety?

I have a nervous stomach now b/c of the change of stools... which is causing more bowel problems I think?

I've also lost a lot of appetite with my anxiety... which is normal with me when i have a nervous stomach... so im not eating a whole lot, but am eating what i can during breakfast lunch and dinner.

can anxiety do this do your bowels? and cause digestive issues? sometimes i'll eat... then start cramping up. then i'll have to go to the bathroom soon.

Sometimes its hard stools, then its softer, then sometimes even diahrea-ish.

Just wondering if anyone else out there gets like this? Or am I the only one?
im glad that you have brought this topic up as I too have begun to experience the same symptoms that you have described. I have been suffering from anxiety for a little over a month and it has really taking a toll on my body. I have noticed a change in my bowel habits as well. I feel like I need go almost right after I eat and when I do eat, I get full really fast. From what i have read, your colon has many nerve endings and anxiety and worry can really effect your digestive tract. I know exactly what you are going through and I wish you the best of luck getting through this.
In my opinion, Anxiety can turn our stomachs into knots and mess with our digestive system in a bad way.  It is one of the 'fun' ways that the body reacts to stress.  Remember, that you will have variances in many bodily functions on a day to day basis as well...try not to let it get at you too much and keep working through it...keep us posted!
thank you so much to the both of you. it helps so much knowing that anxiety can do this... i keep "worrying" (imagine that. lol.) that it might be something worse. but i have to believe its just the stress and constant knots in my tummy causing this... and once i convince myself of this... im sure the anxiety will lift.. and so will the symptoms. thanks again so much.
I have had this issue on and off for most of my life, even as a kid.  My whole family is like this...(aunts, uncles, cousins).  We all have different stressors but we joke about our Irish stomachs.  If you have some weight to lose I wouldn't worry much about it.  If you are getting food in at least you know you have some nutrition coming in.  I drink gatorade and vitamin water when I don't have an appetite.  Good luck and remember in time this too shall pass.
thanks for responding. i am eating pretty well considering my loss of appetite. and im taking vitamins. although only weighing 130, i don't really have too much weight to lose. lol. so im gonna eat as much as i can, even if it doesnt sound good. lol.

thanks again for writing.
One of my relatives was in hospice (old age) and they had no appetite so the hospice doctors had them drink Boost and Ensure instead of food.   You may want to get a case of those drinks and add them in if you want to try and put a little weight back on.  Also peanut butter is a weight gainer.

I talked to my aunt and cousin about the stomach thing and it was funny...they both told me they used to throw up on the way to school because they would get the nervous stomach.  Not that it is funny, but crazy how the stomach works and how it is genetics.  
Cnote,
Just wondering if there is an underlying issue to your anxiety....like certain triggers.
my daughter is now 18 mths and this is still the same now im haven bad anxiety and panic attacks. im thinking its coming from bad digestive system. i need feed back
I have been going through this for a few years now. I've always needed to go to the bathroom whenever I am nervous or anxious. Recently I've had a "phobia" of not having a bathroom around, so in turn I get anxious and have to go to the bathroom. It's a vicious circle. It has turned my life upside, by keeping me from doing a lot of things. I've tried different relaxing techniques, but nothing seems to work. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
I have the exact problem .Its all about diet ,probiotics and enzymes. Get an alcat test for food intolerances and see a nutrionists. I have made the changes and its wonderful. Be prepared to change everything you eat and drink. This really works.
C402 is Comment
gyspy09 commented on ianwojc's status
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...