Anxiety Community
Discontinuing Use of Lorazapam

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Discontinuing Use of Lorazapam

For the past six months, I have been taking Lorazapam in the morning for anxiety.  Sometimes I take 1mg or sometimes only 1/2.  Sometimes I don't even take them every day.  I am at the point now where my anxiety is decreasing and I do not have a daily panic attack like I was when the Lorazapam was first prescribed.  My question is, how can I begin to discontinue the use of the Lorazapam altogether?  I have heard that stopping suddenly can cause seizures and other side effects, so I definitely want to avoid that.
You are right in not discontinuing a benzo cold turkey, especially a short acting one like this.  Just don't do it on your own. Talk with your doctor and get on a taper schedule.  In my opinion, you wer not on a high dosage anyway, but the duration was long, so doing it slowly is always advised.  You are doing the right thing by doing it slowly...you will be fine and I am glad you are feeling better!  Keep us posted!
yes, you are right.  discontinuing a benzo suddenly may cause seizures.  Since you don't take them everyday though, I think you would be okay to go ahead and stop altogether.  When you don't take them do you get sick at all?  If not, that means you aren't physically dependent and you probably won't go through any withdrawal.  You could take a 1/2 in the morning every other day and then increase the days in between that you don't take one if you think you will get sick.  Like I said though, you aren't taking that much so you shouldn't have any wd if you do it would probably be very minimal.  Hope this helps...much love

Brittaney
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
monicadoll I am back...Anxiety is a st... Comment
1 hr ago
Nighthawk61 commented on So much ambition, so ...