Anxiety Community
Discontinuing Xanax.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Discontinuing Xanax.

I would like to know how long stays Xanax/Alprazolam in the body system after discontinuing it entirely. I was diagnosed with anxiety/panic attacks and insomnia, due the stress, after my husband died. I am on Xanax the last 4 months, and gradually lowered from 4x0.25mg per day, to 2x0,25mg per day. I would like to discontinue it altogether and start to take L-tryptophan for increasing my serotonin level. I don't want to take Xanax and L-Tryptophan together because I am afraid there might be some contraindication.
Thank you for your response.
Jane1244021  
Please consult your perscribing physcian for a taper schedule from the Xanax. It is one of the most difficult benzos to get off and you need to be under the supervision of your doctor.
Xanax has a half-life of 12-15 hours, so every 12-15 hours, 1/2 of your current dose will be out of your system. Continue that equation until all the Xanax has left your body.
Your doctor can very quickly tell you if there is any contraindications in combining Xanax and L-trytophan. But it's good that you are trying to get off the Xanax as it is recommended the maximum length of daily dosing is 4 months.

I am terribly sorry for your loss.
Peace
Greenlydia

You can take ashwagandha (Indian ginseng), an herb. It will soothe and relax you and you can take it at the same time as Xanax. It should make lowering the Xanax dose easier. Ashwagandha will also help you sleep (but is not a sleeping pill). Something else that will help with the insomnia is Benadryl, an antihistamine that many people take for sleep difficulties. I can understand your wanting to get off Xanax. It is bad stuff.
Keep in touch with your doctor, Xanax is one of the meds that can be hard to get off so I always suggest that people do it every step of the way with their doctor.
Good Luck
rana64, JGF25, and nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status
1 min ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
44 mins ago
allinblack commented on Tramadol & Ultram...