Anxiety Community
Does Buspar really work for anxiety? Does it help with OCD?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

I just started it today 11/23/10 for anxiety, ocd, and anxiety while driving/social anxiety. i take 5mg 2x a day and the only thing i've felt is dizzy. Im a 19 year old college student. please help. I don't want to be on medication forever. I was on zoloft & paxil last year, around this time but those both had too many sexual side effects so i only took them for a month and ive been drug free for a year until today :( i really dont want to be on drugs but i have anxiety around people of the same sex because of some things that happened to me in my childhood so i need it to stop the obsessive thoughts (HOCD)
Hi Airowe,
Sorry to hear about your struggles with anxiety. Buspar is a psychoactive drugs used for general anxiety, and like most of these medications, they can take 2-3 weeks to notice a change in behaviour.
Obsessive-compulsive thoughts and habits are frustrating and distressing, I know, and medications rarely fix the problem. As you've seen for yourself they may mask the problem or keep things under better control, but then you're forced to deal with the many side effects that come with it. It is no surprise that you want to be drug-free. My experiences have taught me the same.
The good news is is that you know the root cause of your anxiety and obsessive tendencies. Many don't, or find it too painful to face. But this puts you in a very good position because you can look at alternative methods of healing. Hypnotherapy is a very powerful and effective method for post-traumatic stress and to diminish fears and phobias.Hypnotherapy is nothing to fear-- I had some training in this and the therapists are very empathetic and calming. They must be in order to be in that line of work. And it is common for clients to only need one session to overcome fears, addictions and stress.
From what you've told me this seems like an excellent option for you and I strongly suggest you look into it.

All the best,
Brittany
Mood Tracker: August 21, 2015
41 mins ago by char1234vass
Jade59 commented on jugglin's status
lboogie7729 is hanging in there Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms