Anxiety Community
Does Klonopin cause weight gain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Does Klonopin cause weight gain?

I posted this under another topic on Klonopin but thought I'd start a thread all its own.  I take Xanax and have thought about trying Klonopin since it's longer acting and to help me get off Xanax.  I have read that Stevie Nicks had a really bad time with Klonopin and she said it caused her major weight gain.  This CANNOT happen to me.  Is it true Klonopin causes weight gain?  Anyone experience this?
Thanks for the advice.  I have been taking Xanax for 3 years now.  I take .25 mg in the morning and .25 at night.  This is basically just to stave off withdrawals, like you said.  Every time I try to cut down, I start having them and have to go back to my original dose.  I would LOVE to get off benzos and may try to do so using some other drug, I just don't want to risk weight gain.
Thanks again!
I have been taking xanax for a month now for sleep only. I started with 1mg per night -now it takes 6mgs for me to sleep . I am going thru menopause with sever vaginal burning and dryness. My doctor put me on premarin cream but it's not working. I am in constant pain and can hardly function. The only relief i get is when i sleep. What should i do ???
Does Klonipin (klonopin) make you age faster due to the free radical connection it has ?
Where did you everhere of such a bizarre thing? It better not.
I read this recently on the Internet when I was prescribed Klonopin . I also read more discouraging facts about it , such as the superoxide connection it has , which may or may not be dangerous . I will look it up again later as I cannot tonight . I will post the site for you to look at and you can read this for yourself . It contains a lot of hard to understand information unless you are familiar with what you are reading about . I have  been taking this type drug along with anti-depressants for 20 years and have studied to the point I can understand it pretty well . However, I will let you decide ..
My Doctor has me on 2MG tabs of Klonopin......one at bedtime.  I am also taking Xanax .5 MG prn.  Usually never take more than 2 a day........sometimes if I wake up too early and can't go back to sleep I take a Xanax....otherwise usually just one a day.  I can't shake this "drugged" feeling that I have though........and wonder if I am just plain over medicated.  I have no energy and have gained 10 lbs in the last year and a half.  Can I just stop taking it?  Or do I need to taper off. The Klonopin is prescribed for "sleep".  The Xanax for a Diagnosed Panic Disorder.
Ryan,  my dr. has just prescribed .5 mg of Klonopin 2x per day to manage my generalized anxiety.  I don't have panic attacks.  So your comments above make it sound like Klonopin may not be the drug for me since it is helpful in managing panic attacks.   What other drug would you suggest for just a a generalized sense of stress and anxiety?  Thank you for all your time spent helping us here on this board.  It is much appreciated.  
Thanks Ryan.  I have been taking .25 of Klonopin 2x per day for a while.  It didn't seem to be helping.  So I've just asked the dr. to up the dose (per a post that you made about it).  I've been on the .5 mg 2x per day for about a week now.  Since I've been on the drug for a while at the lower dosage,  does your advice about giving it a month at this new dosage still stand?

Also, I posted in the OCD forum about my trichotillomania (hair pulling) that I had as a pre-teen through my 20's.  I've recently started to wonder if my life long anxiety and mild depression (on occasion) could be related to a chemical imbalance in my brain that might have caused the trichotillomania years ago also.  Do you have any feedback on this?   I sometimes wonder if I should be on an anti-depressant but my MD told me he would advise against it since the drug may have long term side effects that we don't even know about now.  Do some anti-depressants have anti anxiety properties too?  The anxiety is my main issue, but have a bout of mild depression almost every year.  Thank you again for your time and advice.  
I gained alot of weight while on Klonopin, I gained around 30-40 pounds.  But once I stopped using Klonopin, I'm back down to my normal weight, no exercise.

But everyone's system reacts differently to medication, many have taken Klonopin and hardly gained weight or gained non at all.  I wasn't one of the lucky ones.  

Nevermind, someone resurrected an old thread.  
I have been on a Generic for Klonopin for years and years.  Although this is embarrasing subject I want to now if my Meds could be causing some other issues for me. I just saw my gyno and have vag dryness.  He was positive my thyroid was not functioning right and had it tested.  The results we're normal.  I am 46 years old and the posiblility of Pre-Menopause is there, but I started thinking maybe it's one of my Meds.  I have had such a dry mouth for years and years I keep water next to the bed and drink several times a night, even though it wakes me up, I'm just incrediably thirsty all the time.  If I don't drink alot of water during the day and or night I get kidney pain-bad and fast.  Once i drink alot of water fast pain will subside within 15 minutes... If not I'm down and drinking lots of Cranberry Juice and Water until Pain is gone.  Sometimes that doesn't work and I end up with an infection.  Since seeing Gyno I looked up my symptoms and it does match up with another Auto Immune disease but I can't seem to wonder if all my dryness in my entire body is from my Klonopin ?  I also take Cymbalta, Soma and Darvocet.  I was on Celebrex for years, and miss it dearly as it was the one medication that helped with my stiffness which then lessoned my Pain, working better then actual Pain Meds for me.
I'm wondering about my body's dryness and if I should go off of this Medication too?
thanks cathy~
I am bipolar and was prescribed Klonopin for my panic attacks and to help me sleep at night because my bipolar meds make my mind race at night. I used to be a cutter (before i even knew that people were doing it for attention or to be gothic and whatever) but I stopped that a couple of years ago but I have found that when I started taking Klonopin I started cutting again and I was wondering if that would even have a connection. I know I am crazy but I didn't have the impulse to do it for a long time and then after about two months of adding klonopin i just do it after my klonopin kicks in and i dont know why.
I have been taking Klonpin for years. 1 three times a day, although I lowered it to two a day. I am also on Lexapro once a day in the morning and a Trazadone at night. I had trouble with my mind racing. I weigh the most now I ever did. Am I over medicated. I would like to quit Lexapro I will talk to my doctor. Which medicine most likely causes weight gain? The Lexapro or the klonopin? Diana
I also wondered if these medications can cause sexual problems such as lack of feeling?
I have been taking Klonopin for over 4 years and I only loose weight, maybe because I am not eating right. It used to work and now it does not work, I might be maybe too stressed lately so maybe that's why. I just wanted to know, what should I do to stop this panic attacks everyday, it is killing me and sometimes I have to rely on alcohol to get rid of it.
Klonopin has always made me gain weight. I've been off and on it for many, many years.

It seems the reason for gaining weight for me was that it elevated my prolactin to astronomical levels - my Testosterone went down, and my Estrogen went up - hence my spare tire and mood swings...
(the person about mentioning seeing an endo would is wise)

I tried to counter this with magnesium, zinc and B6 but it wasn't strong enough....

Then one day i decided to quit caffenine (if you drink it - its worth a shot), to try to control my anxiety - i felt like total A$$ for 2 weeks - then felt better than ever - T levels went up - Estrogen, prolactin, and anxiety went down...(Females need optimum levels of Testosterone too - female levels)

If you get extremely depressed about 3-4 days after stopping caffeine - you should fare well in controlling your anxitey and getting back to normal in 2-3 weeks...

Might be worth a try...
I`ve been on Xanax 1 mg 4 times a day for 12 years for Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia, my doctor put me on valium 5 mg`s yesterday to replace the Xanax as I want to get off them but I feel really bad,eg, crawling scalp, shakes, sweating and cold shivers, electric shocks up my legs when i stand up and very unsteady on my feet, has my doctor given me the wrong dose? he told me tapering off Xanax is a waste of time, what should I do ? I feel just awful and have a 5 month old baby to look after please give advice Tamara45
a friend of mine said klonopin made him hungry. gave him the munchies. i never really noticed that kind of reaction. every person is different but i looked into it and read that yes it can cause abnormal/increased hunger. so i guess you could gain weight from it if you live a very sedentary lifestyle and let those cravings get to you.
My doc has had me on bupropion for depression and lorazepam for anxiety for many years. Recently he has tried to switch me from lorazepam to clonipin due to the memory loss association with lorazepam. Is there any benefit with memory retention using clonopin over lorazepam? Trying to make the switch is nearly impossible do to   the long term use (addiction) of lorazepam. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Confused.
hi,
ive been on anti depressants for over 8 years now and i was on xanax for quite sometime and eventually starting having seizures if i stopped taking it for a few days so my doctor switched me over to klonopin, 1mg 3x a day and it doesnt have the instant strong calming effect, but it does help with panic attacks and extreme anxiety. as far as weight gain...i notice that when i take the pill, i become hungry and when im anxious i cant get anything down..so for those of you who eat little because you are anxious and cant eat a full meal and then you suddenly can when you take klonopin...is the only reason you would gain weight (my doctor agrees), so its important you take it regularly as perscribed so your diet can be regular...dont wait to take it or stop taking it because when you do and you anxiousness calms down you will start eating more cause you are more hungry....so just keep up with the perscribed amt of klonopin and eat small portions reguarly and dont binge when you take it and stop eating when you dont and your weight maybe will increase by 3-4 pounds but if you take it the right way...your weight should not be an issue. as far as the stevie nicks comment, she admitted she abused klonopin after she stopped her cocaine addiction and she would go weeks without it and her nerves didnt allow her to eat normally and then she would binge on klonopin and then binge eat following her overuse of the benzo. so in sum, just take it 2-3 times a day and make your perscription last, and you will find a normal diet for you....weight gain should not be a reason to not try klonopin if youre on xanax now...xanax can be a great medication, but after so many years of experience, it can become addicting and dangerous..so klonopin is the smart choice when you are switching. if you do gain weight that is not suitable for your lifestyle, then talk to your doctor, but worrying about weight gain should not be a reason not to try what could end up being the right pill and medication balance for you..
hope that helps for anyone who was concerned about that.
good luck, write back and let me know if my thoughts or advice helped or if it didnt. id love to know what others experience during the switch or after they stop xanax and go on to klonopin...feel free to ask me any questions. i have lots of experience with anti-depressant drugs as well as mood stabilizers and anxiety medications. trust me i tried over 30 different medications until i found the right balance for me and im finally at a place where im happy with my weight and medication balance.

e-mail is daynabrown.***@****
I did switch from Xanax to Klonopin and now 6 months later I am 28 pounds overweight I didn't put two and two together until now :( trying to stop Klonopin is another challenge I have massive headaches and debilitating pain all over my body! stay clear from Klonopin.

Patita
I have taken Klonopin for years and never noticed a weight gain, because I am overweight and constantly fluctuating.  I quit taking it a year ago becuase we are trying to conceive.  I did't notice a weight loss, however again, I am very overweight and have a constant struggle with my weight.  I have managed to stay right were I am in my weight lately though....and the past 4 nights I have taken klonopin I have gained 8 pounds in those 4 days.  A coworker said the exact same thing but I thought she was nuts.  I never would have attributed this weight gain over the last 4 days to Klonopin had she not said that because that could easilty be water weight at my size.  Just a little info. for you.  Either way...any weight gain side effects would eventually subside...I would do research more on the question of whether or not you would be able to manage your weight and lose once the initial gain is done and your system is "used" to the drug.  I will say...its good stuff.  I haven't slept in the past year since I went off it (1 mg. at night) and when I do take it, I sleep all night straight...no tossing.  It doesn't knock you out ....it just calms so you can stay asleep and not toss.  But not if you are really severe.
Nope, I lost weight on K. But allot of that is due to the withdrawal anxiety between dosages and not being hungry. Although I am on a relative low dosage of .125 twice a day totaling .25

Paxil on the other hand made me gain 10bs a year every year unti quitting.
hi, i have been on xaxax for almost 8 years, it sounds like you are becoming addicted to it, or have become addicted, i would definately let my dr. know there is something they can put you on for sleep there are sleeping pills, but can also be addicting, i know how you feel about the burning and stuff, but do tell you dr. everything , ok?? DB
eww...The word "klonopin" makes me cringe, 37 now...was on it 14 LONG YEARS.  Senseless years, some of them lost entirely, SNOWED on Klonopin, overdruged.  Bi-polar, and suffer anxiety.  Mind would race, gave it to me to sleep...that's all I did.  Felt like weights were holding me down. I was 24 years old and my mum would force cans of liquid ENSURE down me to make sure I would have some protein. Tried taking me off it, and I suffered such back pain it killed me, they said I had herniated disks.  Hadn't been out of bed in years.  Then they said it was the Klonopin, years later going off...was like going off crack or heroin.  I was put in a rehab, sweats, shakes, nightmares, throwing up.  If a doc wants to put you on it, "run like hell."  If your on it, wean off it...2 weeks in between cuttting doses, .25mg at a time, and you WONT suffer what I did.  The best substitute IF FOR ANXIETY, valium, 1 pill in am, 1 at night...it's not nearly at sedating or addicting.  And secret, it's not the Valium of the 70's.  But takes edge off.  Hope this helped one person. molly
Klonopin can cause weight loss or weight gain, depending on the individual.  In me, it caused me to lose about 50 lbs. (and I am not a big individual).  It also caused depression, decreased appetite, blurred vision, ineffective digestion and insomnia (it affects stages 3 and 4 of your sleep).

I would highly recommend that an individual get on anything other than Klonopin (or any other of the Benzodiazepines). These are some of the most addictive drugs on the planet. I have personally tried coming off of Klonopin 7 times, but it caused such tremendous physical withdrawals that I had to go back to my full dose (2 mg.). Klonopin is about 5 times more potent than Valium.

I would personally stay away from Klonopin, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Librium and any other Benzodiazepines. They are way over-prescribed. Perhaps an anti-depressant (like Paxil) would work better. It worked great for me and removed all anxiety and improved my sleep.

Hope this helps.
i have been taking same does of xanax for 27 years now, 0.1 mg. i take it only at bedtime. i have had panic attack since i was 18 nothing worked ,every antidepressant made me gain weight and quite frankly never worked paxil made me down right homicial..that is not a over statement trust me. i gain 10 lbs a year on paxil dont know how or why..long story short nothing worked and i found out about xanax and it saved my life. Now after all these years my panic attacks are back and stronger than ever the doctor suggest klonopin ...well i dont know but i hear more often then not FAT stories! my friend gain 150 lbs in 3 years, she never weighed more than 98 lbs in her whole life...that klonopin for ya..i refuse to take it; i will suffer and stay locked in my house before i would take klonopin..whats worst? panic attacks or being fat and get diabetes or heart problems or whatever comes along with weight..my advice is run dont walk away from klonopin.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  Years ago I gained 60 pounds on prozac so I know that these medications can turn on you.  I have been taking Klonoprin to sleep at night over the past year and all of a sudden in the past 2 months I have started gaining weight at a rediculous rate and none of my cloths that I have worn for 15 years are fitting.  So no more Klonoprin for me....  I would rather go without sleep.
I've been on .5 mg each night for at least 5+ years and I have seen steadily gaining weight since I started. I am now 30-35 lbs higher than I should be.  I barely eat much most of the time and any exercise hardly makes a dent in my weight loss.  It's very frustrating. My doctor recommends melatonin as an alternative but the whole reason for being on Klonopin was to manage my social anxiety disorder.  I have also been placed on 10mg of Lexapro for depression? I'm certain that with the combination of both meds has increasingly made the matters worse. I see no solution to ever losing weight. It's a losing battle. I'm mentally balanced now but it's a trade off. Any one successful in alternative meds for these conditions and have had any luck?
I find that the SSRI's like Lexapro have more instances of weight gain.  Guess it's a trade-off.
I have been on klonopins for 6 mons now and I was wanted to know if it makes you gain weight I'm also on paxil.....I'm on 15 mg a day...the paxil is 40 mg a day....I also feel tired a lot can someone help answer my questions....I don't eat a lot but my 5 jeans are starting to not fit as good as they used to lol help! Plz
I was addicted to Xanax for 30 years, going through many horrible withdrawals trying to get off. I finally was prescribed Kolonopin in very low doses and was able to finally get off Xanax. I feel like a totally different person and would never advise anyone to begin Xanax!! I have been on Kolonopin for 2 months and have put on 20 pounds so am anxious to get off of this too. I would say 20 pounds is far better than having Xanax literally ruining you life.
Why would you say you are crazy? I joke from time to time like that, but I hope you don't actually think it.
I have been on lexapro and klonopin for a long time and the doc is now weaning me off both. Lexapro  was 20 mg once a day and klonopin was 4 mg daily. Now doc put me on .5 klonopin /break 2 tablet in half and take a half 4 times daily. Of course I've had withdrawal symptoms that are somewhat abating, now trying to take only a whole .5 tablet daily and lexapro once daily or one every 2/3 days. I have really gained a lot of weight, but, in the last month hvae noticed a loss of maybe 3/6 lbs and definitely a reduction in appetite. I was wondering if something was wrong with me and decided it must be the decreased klonopin.So happy and hope that I continue to be able to wean off the medicine.
My experience-
I was in a motor vehicle accident 6 months ago. I was a passagener and had my head turned to the right on impact, we got rear-ended. A few weeks ago, I started to notice spinning sensation. So I went to my doctor and told me it was vertigo and prescribed cyclobenzaprine (a muscle relaxant). I was scheduled for my first physical therapy that same week. As I was driving on the freeway, I went into vertigo and started to blackout. I fought off hard to stay alert and pull over, but freeway construction i used every ounce of energy to get to a safe place. End result from the ER visit, I was diagnosed with Vertigo and Cervical Strain to the right side of my neck, with additional diagnosis of Anxiety. At that moment I was put on Meclizine (25 mg) an Diazephram (5 mg).
Now the trauma begins to set in. My doctor encourgaged me to see a psychologist, so I did, and she diagnosed me as PSTD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Anxiety/Panic Disorder) from that day on the freeway.
My doctor also encouraged me to take a anti-depressent to wean off the diazephram (Valium). I relunctly agreed, because I am not depressed. So she prescribed a newer SSRI Venlafaxine, this anti-depressant had one side of a weight loss. Well, that was a horrible idea. I reacted to the drug, right back at the ER. So seeing two ENT Specialists, and no answers, because in the medical world, I am completely healthy.
It's been six months and I have not improved.
So took matters into my own hands. I have to be my own advocate for my health and that is what I am doing! I sought out medical massage and found this wonderful Craniosacral Therapist and Chiropractor. After all the MRi's, CT Scans, Neck Scans. Nothing showed! (thank goodness) but I knew there was something still wrong physically and emotionally.
I found the anxiety attacks happened more often and evolved on their own. The Chriopractor found what my doctors an specialists couldn't find. The C4 in my vertebrea was out of alignment, so when I bend my head/neck a certain way, especially looking down, it would touch the nerve/muscle and cause a painful chain reaction. I have finally found  an answer!
Now moving on to the emotional part. I had to humble myself and see a pshychatrist and came up with a plan. Still continue on Meclizine and get off the Diazepram and replace with the generic of Klonopin and add Zoloft to my daily reginmen. I'm waiting for the prescription to call in for the new drug and asked about weight gain. She said the popoluation that gains weight is 1% so the likelihood for someone like me would be small because anti-depressents give you energy.
I have been on the generic for Klonopin and the only side affect I have is that I don't have big appetitie and lost a couple of pounds, I am careful of my intake as well. So I eat and snack on a lot of vegetables and fruit. I stay away from sugary foods, fast foods and junk food. No sodas. Nice comptatible teas and lots and lots of water.
I hope to be off these drugs by 6 - 12 months. I will be seeing psychologist again to help with cognative behavior and to come up with a plan of coping mechanisms tht work for me.
I am hopeful in my recovery.
The lesson in this is while driving, please be don't be in a rush to get where you are going. Allow plenty of car length in front of you, and take care of your mind, body and sooth your soul.
May healthiness and wellness be yours.
I have been taking 5mg 2x a day of klonopin for a month now I have gained so much weight in the 4 weeks i have been on it. I would like to find something that can help my daily anxiety ..That will help me lose weight any ideas? Also not make me feel high as a kite.
All I take is Klonopin and I have lost 18pds in a couple of months. I think everyone is different.Anxiety is sooooo debilitating!!!  ;(
hi i have been dignozed with ocd many years ago, it was difficult getting myself to a pschchiatrist but i did eventually, he prscribed klonopin and another drug, i used to take it on and off till they advised me that it has to reach a certain level then its effective, through my time i can say that being positive and helping yourself keeping mind occupied helps alot while the medications do the chemical work. i have gained weight but i think its my metablolism, be active and around happy people and everything will be ok. tata
I have been on Klonopin for about 8 years and have gained about 80 pounds just be being on it.  I have recently stopped taking it and am now on Xanax and have lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. I also feel more like doing things and don't feel like laying in bed all day.  I get up and do light house cleaning and light laundry and dished which I had no desire for before.
Good luck

I don't reccomend this drug
I never gained weight on brand name klonopin but since they stopped making brand name I am now  takingvgeneric and am losing weight they are dam sugar pills
mele48 That burden you're carring?... Comment
18 mins ago
specialmom, and melimeli commented on melimeli's status
51 mins ago
melimeli So I've lost 28 lbs :) Comment
1 hr ago