Anxiety Community
Does anybody take Celxa For Anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Does anybody take Celxa For Anxiety?

Hi All,
I was just wondering if anybody here takes or has taken Celexa for anxiety and if so did it help and what kinda side effects did you have. My doctor wrote me a script for it a couple of months ago and I'm scared to start taking it giveing all the listed side affects.
Thanks for your time.
Tags: Anxiety, Work
Yes I have taken celexa and I did not notice any help! Anxiety is just overwhelming and almost impossible to get rid of. Not trying to make you feel bad, just I've had anxiety for 15mo. My doctor has givin me celexa, and several other meds, none of which helped? I've learned that my feelings of dying and worrying are normal everyday life. I go thru good and bad days sometimes even a week or 2 without syptoms (symptoms) but they always come back...sucks! Just do your best to ignore them and try some anxiety medicine. I don't know why doctors give depression medicine, like celexa, to us for anxiety? Maybee someone knows? I have a great job, 3 kids, beautiful wife, and no explained reason for anxiety. Doctors did so many test and found nothing, so they tell me it's anxiety related to stress? Good Luck!

I'm sorry to say that I have not used Celxa for anxiety but I did use Zoloft and it worked wonders!  You can read a million things on these drugs and the side effects but take it from a personal point of view, it really, really helps.

About a year and a half ago, I had my first bought with anxiety.  Never, ever had a problem then one day, the stress in my life became overwhelming for a long period of time and then one day, BAM, a panic attack. I never had one and I literally thought I was having a heart attact at the age of 35.  After that, my doctor wanted to go on Zoloft but I was "too proud" and said that I can handle this ****.

Then, about two months later, BAM, it happened again and now it lasted.  I was afraid of everything.  It almost got so bad that I didn't want to leave my couch.  I talked to my wife and she said that I need some help.  I told her "No, not me...I can't take stuff...it will make me a bad person". etc.  Well, until I did some research and started talking to people, it was amazing to see how many people (most of them I knew personally) was on something for anxiety, depression, etc.  I was totally suprised and thought I was the only person on stuff.

But anyway, I was like you and read and read and read about people having side effects, etc.  And I was also scared thinking that I would have brain damage taking something like this.  But what's its like is those commercials on TV for drugs.  They list all the side effects possible.  I talked to my doctor and he said that the drug companies have to do this.  When they test a drug, they have to list every single side effect that ever happened (even if it only happened to one person one time).

But to get back to your question, I have never had to take Celxa but I did take Zoloft and it was wonderful.  Took about 2 weeks to get fully into my system but once it did, say bye bye to anxiety.  I actually felt back to normal, for once.  You don't feel "high" or anything like that but you can concentrate, have energy, and just feel really good about everything around you.  Plus, if you run into a stressful situation, you can handle that and much, much more!

I was on it for about 7-8 months and now am off of it and fell great.  I just had a brief anxiety attack last week due a bad blood work test I had done (high triglycerides) but am over it now and am back to normal.  I was able to handle it without drugs and am taking care of it through diet and exercise.

But if you don't feel righ tabout Celxa, ask you doctor about Zoloft.  It's non addictive and works wonders.  Just remember, when its time to come off of it, you have to "ween" yourself off.  Don't just quit cold turkey becasue you will feel dizzy, light headed etc.  When you come off of it, ask your doctor but what he will do is have you take half doses for about 2 weeks and then you can quit.  Its the same when you start. Say your full dose is 50mg (just using a number).  You will go about 5 days starting at 25mg and then go to 50mg.

Sorry for the long response but I wanted to explain everything that I knew.  Good luck.
I was just on celexa for the last two weeks and I did not like the way I was feeling, I was taking it in the morning 10mg for the first 5 days then the doctor said to take 20mg and I felt very spaced out at work and strange. I was once on celexa a few years back but my aniexty back then was not so major, this time I was sooo bad that I felt it did not work, it kept making me jump up out of my sleep the first week,and anxious and I was dizzy. you may get some side affects until the med is in your system. But I choosed to come off of it within 11 days and I am seeing if I can fight it myself, which I have been, I am not getting panic attack as of now but just anixety. I am gonna see how I do and if I have to try something else I will. I know it does work cause it did the first time for me, but I feel if you have aniexty severe Like I did this time it may not work, but you never know every one is different. Well I wish you the best of luck and give it a try.

I just wanted to say thanks to all that replied, you all are a big help! I think I'll go ahead and try it this weekend just as a trial. God Bless.
CELEXA MADE ME VERY VERY TIRED AND I DID NOT FEEL LIKE MYSELF. I HAVE TRIED MANY PILLS FOR ANXIETY AND CANNOT FIND THE RIGHT ONE YET. I WOULD RATHER NOT TAKE ANY AT ALL, BUT IF THERE IS ONE OUT THERE THAT WILL STOP THE ANXIETY/PANIC...LET ME KNOW ASAP!!!
THANKS
I tried lexapro and it worked wonders.  I mean, I felt great.  Anxiety and panic were totally gone.  Bad part -- I gained 25 pounds in my 9 months on it, despite the fact that Lexapro is supposed to be one of the SSRIs that do not cause weight gain.  
Lexapro almost drove me to suicide. I took the med for insomnia and I've never been suicidal before. Please be careful, everyone gets a different reaction. I won't take these crazy brain meds anymore.  ***@****
I have taken Celexa for one week for anxiety and depression (did not even realized I had depression) and I have had absolutely no side effects and I already feel better. My anxiety symptoms were dizziness, head jolts and my head felt like it was swaying at times. I am on the med 1 week today and all those symptoms are almost completely gone! Tonight is when I go from the 10 mg to the 20mg so I will see how that affects me. But so far so good! I am not as afraid of things anymore as I used to be.
Hello, the doctor gave me celexa to try for anxiety & depression but he gave 20mg and did not tell me to try 10 mg for a week and than go up. Should I try the 10mg for a week? and I take ambien at night to sleep does it interfere with either medication and does it matter if I take it at night before bed?
I'm currently taking Celexa, 20mg./day.  

The first couple of weeks, I felt horrible (nauseous, lack of appetite, tired, very jumpy in crowds) but after that, I started to notice a BIG IMPROVEMENT.

I suffer from health anxiety (which is what caused my doctor to put me on it) and once I started it, I had no more panic attacks, stopped self-checking for symptoms, reentered my social circle.....I started, slowly but surely, getting joy from life agai and resumed activities that I used to enjoy.

Everyone has a different experience with each drug, but it's working for me.  And it's the first - and only - antidepressant I've tried.  I guess I'm lucky that way, because I've heard that lots of people have to try drug upon drug before finding a fit - and some never do find it.  

I should also add, though, that I don't intend to be on the Celexa forever.  I'm in therapy and am following an exercise plan, all to help me get stronger, mentally and physically, in a more natural way.
Hi .  I have just started taking Celexa. Been taking it for 3 days now. I have not really noticed anything yet probably to early to tell. So far no side effects. My dose is 20 mgs once a day. I am also taking Klonopin also .5 mgs once a day.
Just to let you know that I was prescribed Celexa, mooooooonths ago. I still haven't taken it. Too scared. Please let me know how it goes if you start it.
Thanx.
Namaste,

You say you received the prescription several months ago, but haven't started taking it yet because you're afraid of the side effects listed and in the same post you ask about the side effects.

Your doctor prescribed the medication to you for a particular reason, of which I am unaware, but if you're not going to take it tell your doctor and explain why you won'y take it.

If you're suffering from a psychologicl issue for which it was prescribed or do you want to increaase the quality of your life. The decision is completely yours.

I would suggest taking the medication, as prescribed, and deal with the side effects if they occur. Major side effects are rare and minor ones usually dissipate after your  body has adjusted to the medication.

Michael(Jikan)
I started celexa last wed. one fourth of a twenty mg. pill for eight days, than half of a pill for seven days and then the whole pill of twenty mg. I was scared to take it but I the panic attacks are so bad I cant control them anymore. I have had them now off and on since 2000 after I had my second son. I have not taken anything for it since 04, But I'm have four boys, my parents are divorcing, Im going to colleg to be an RN, and I work and stressing about money. I need the celexa I keep telling myself. When I have the panic attack I think it is worse because im a nurse and Im thinking of all the bad things that could happen. Panic attacks are horrible. It makes me want to stay home and not move. But i dont, i keep going.
I am presently on 60mgs of Celexa per day.  40 mgs. is the usual max dose, but it just didn't stop the anxiety.  My doctor assured me that some people react differently and could benefit from the higher dose.  I was having break thru panic attacks before the increase and haven't had any since a week on the higher dose.  I take .5 mgs of klonopin 2x a day.  Increasing that was not an option because the doc doesn't like benzos.  At least everything turned out all right.  I think you do feel a little spaced out and tired when you first start an SSRI, but anything is better than continuous panick attacks.  Try the Celexa.  
Guys, for the second time in my life I got onto Celexa again and IT IS THE ONLY SSRI that works for me! My mother is taking the same medicine and none of the other ones helped. I have tried Paxil, nightmares, tried Trazodone, depersonalization, derealization. Three years ago when I started Celexa I stayed the whole time on 20 mg for 2 years, FELT AMAZING, anxiety and depression GONE, like that, but 1 year off and stress in my life, I started FOCUSING ON MY BREATHING AGAIN, which nearly drove me insane and simply had to start Celexa again, only this time 20mg didn't help. I felt 50/50 until I went onto 40mg. I am thanking God, that I have this medicine and that I don't have to think about my breathing anymore that often.

God Bless you all!

Mirza
Hi.  I was just recently put back on Celexa, 60 mg., as Zoloft stopped working.  I feel like a new person....plus I take Klonopin, 3 x perday, .5 mg, but I am starting to taper a bit there, as I feel like I can.  
I just recieved 20mg Celexa yesterday, I am really nervous about taking it because I dont want to have to be on a medication forever for my anxiety. What has anyone done to naturally help with anxiety on top of their medication? And what have been some of your side effects?
I just started Celexa 10 mg 5 days ago, and I keep praying to God to make me strong until it starts working. I am married, mother of 3 children 8, 6, and 3 they need me so much.  I will keep you updated as to my improvement.  I refuse to let anxiety take over me... I can't wait for the day I feel normal, happy, joyful as I was! God bless everyone.
I have social anxiety disorder I started taking zoloft at 50mgs a day and it really did work.  It helped with my fear of large crowds and interviews and other social situations.  But i went off of it because I had just gotten married and it absolutely killed my sex drive and worse i could not orgasm as quickly and sometimes not at all, which had not been an issue before.  So I stopped taking it.  I also couldn't drink with it, and I do enjoy drinking socially.  I could have two drinks and wake up the next day throwing up it was not good.  
I just started taking celexa, I moved to a new town and this is what the new doctor prescibed.  I'm hoping that it will work the same as zoloft hopefully without all the negative side effects.  Has anyone experienced the sexual and/or alcohol side effects with celexa? (it says on the bottle night to drink with alcohol, but is that mainly just for the depression/suicide risk, or does that pretain to the anxiety side of it as well?)  and also what does the klonpin do, does it aid the effects of the ssri's?    
I have really really bad anxiety and my doctor prescribed me celexa and I will not take it because of the horror stories I have heard.I heard that celexa like prozac has lithium in it and takes two weeks to actually take effect and when you go off of it your symptoms become worst like thoughts of suicide. I used to be a heroin addict and quit it cold turkey cause getting on methadone is just as bad if not worst and ive been clean since March of 1998 and if I went to methadone I probably still be on it.My point being is,Ive had anxiety ever since I kicked dope and the only thing that really helps is MARIJUANA or xanax
I have started with celexa on Friday....today is Saturday and I feel really strange. Headaches, dizzzzzy,more moody than before. But one good thing is I'm not frustrated with my kids like ican get at times due to stress. I think I will ask the the doc forsomething else had refrain frm celexa.
You really have to give any SSRI more than a couple of days for the side-effects to diminish.  I'm sure your doctor will tell you to try it a little longer.  If it is not making your anxiety worse you are lucky.  Some people have a couple weeks of increased anxiety.  Hope it turns out all right for you.
Hi Nancy, I know it was a long time since your made your post about celexa. I just recently started taking it 20mg I will be on week 6 tomorrow, I am also married with 3 kids 8,6 and 3 and I was wondering how you were doing? Did you get any relief from the Celexa? Are you feeling great now. I am getting desperate, I have been dealing with this anxiety for a year now. I just want my life back, I want to feel relaxed and happy again. So far I my anxiety is worse with this celexa and I am just holding on hoping it gets better with time. Any good news to share?
Originally I started taking Lexapro on the lowest does and bam the panic attacks were almost completly gone... I thought well Im better now and quit taking it after a year.  Needless to say that I started to have them again after about 3 Months... They were worse than ever before I went to my Dr. and asked him to put me back on the Lexpro but it did not work...
I asked for the Celexa and It seem to be worse than ever... I think that I have the Gorraphobia with this also because I am so afarid to leave my comfort zone and have been dealing with this now for almost 5 years.... this started after my 3rd child was born at 6 months of age \\ I also gained 30 pounds!!! My only thing that gets rid of the Pannic attacks are the Xanex Thank god for that I am so afraid to try something else it just seem Hopless,,, I cant even ride in the car for more than 10 mins or I just loose it Completly....

I keep reading these stories about anxiety on here.. Has anyone even tried to face their fears or study about the biological aspects of anxiety.. The reason that panic attacks get worse is because of the "fear of fear" sensation.. I have struggled with anxiety for a while now and what one must realize is that you are being dooped by your feelings.. Anxiety can not hurt you, make you go crazy, pass out, etc.. Anti-depressants work, but you must be prepared to do some of the work yourself.. I highly recommend the book by Doctor Claire Weeks called "Hope and Help for your Nerves". You can find it on Amazon.. Remember, you are the cause of your own anxiety and you have the ability to choose whether or not to have a panic attack.. It isn't about controlling the panic as much as understanding what is happening in your body and mind the moment they hit.. What if thinking leads you into a panic attack.. It isn't people, places or things, it is you.. The reason I keep reading that people on here are afraid of the anti-depressants is because most people with anxiety are afraid of taking medication anyhow. Pills aren't the magic switch to turn it off, they only help you cope with the symptoms.. You have to put your hand in the fire and face the things and situations that you are afraid of. There is no safe place or person because you are the one responsible for your own anxiety.. Read the book seriously.. A panic attack isn't awaiting your arrival at the grocery store, you are only assuming that it will happen.. Read, understand and that is the key to recovery...
I started Celexa just before my second son went off to college.  I have probably always had anxiety but when an empty nest was closing in, It got a lot worse. I went on Celexa and it worked great.  Per my Dr. it works faster for my anxiety, and my experience was that it took about 3 weeks to feel a difference.  The great part is that after the first few days of slight h/a's and mild haziness (started at 5mg then to 10mg after 7days), I didn't feel like I was on anything.  Things just didn't bother me as much.  I have never had panic attacks, just intense worry and the slightest annoyance would make me want to jump out of my skin.  The celexa helped with all of that and what I noticed most after awhile is that my feelings towards things were more appropriate and I could let things go and not dwell on them.  Also a big part of getting a handle on anxiety is learning skills to help deal, such as self talk, relaxation and therapy.  These things go hand in hand with medication.  I have come to the realization that I may need some sort of antianxiety med for the rest of my life.  But maybe not!!  I have been learning skills to help decrease anxiety from my therapy, which I think everyone needs, whether they think so or not.  Lifes to short to not be at the top of your game on a daily basis.  Do what needs to be done and don't be ashamed of it.  Also don't get discouraged if the first med you try doesn't work right with your body chemistry.  There are many medications out there and there is one that will work for you.  Don't listen to others who say those things don't work and you'll just feel numb.  Everyone is different, what works for me might not work for you!  But help yourself, don't live an unhappy life!!

Best,

Toddy37

I have been on celexa for over a year.  I originally was put on it due to a very stressful work situation that sent me into crisis.  I went without sleep for nearly 10 days.  I was obsessed with feeling like I was dying and cried uncontrollably.  Thankfully I have a wonderful husband who helped me through it all.  My son was 3 at the time and I hated having him see me in such a state.  The celexa seemed to help but I also resolved some things at work that helped me gain control.  I have been feeling quite good for a while with my anxiety.  I got pregnant and had another son and went on maternity leave from work for a year.  I was all set to go back to work and was called in to a meeting with my boss.  Apparently while I was gone the staff that I supervise had a meeting with my boss and tore me to shreds and they listed a bunch of changes they want to see in the way I do things.  They really attacked my character and came up with so many lies about me.  I feel like I am being sabatoged and don't know why.  Of course my anxiety came back full tilt and I don't know what to do to help.  I have to start back to work tomorrow and I don't know how to face things.  In times of anxiety like this could I up my dose from 10 mg to 20 mg? Will it help?  I need to see my doctor but can't get in right away and have to book time off work to go.
MY DOC JUST GAVE ME BOTH OF WHAT YOU ARE TAKING...PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID ON THEM
I am on Pristiq and it has helped my anxiety so well that I can now drive  on highways which I have not done for years!!!
i have sever anxiety disorder that lead to panic. I often get depression after an attack. I was just wondering how hard is lexapro or celexa on your stomach since my stomach cant tolerate new medications
Not too bad at all!  The panic and stress is much harder on your body and mind then the meds
I am married to a man with severe anxiety.  When I met him I had no idea, he was tall, handsome, successful in my eyes and charming.  Apparently his charm was well practiced because I now know he's been severely anxious his entire life, inherited from his parents.  I only just realized after a decade of being with him that his rejection, anger, isolationist tendencies, nervous breakdown and neglect of me were due to his GAD.  I read on here, your posts, saying you don't think the medicine is working blah blah...my husband says the same thing.  He's been taking it for 3 months now and he's up to 20  mg of celexa now and he is better but not where he needs to be yet.  I can stand to be around him now.  For the love of God take your medicine.  It is working, your loved ones can tell.  
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
labyrinth28 longing for jannah Comment
10356 commented on Pat1956100's status