Anxiety Community
Does anyone have the feeling of being strangled around the neck and thr...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Does anyone have the feeling of being strangled around the neck and throat!!!!

I am at present off work with anxiety problems.  I have read alot of symptoms on this page and i must say have found it a great comfort so thanks!!  I havent read about this particular problem symptom.  Sometimes I feel that my air will be cut off and my throat neck will close making me unable to breathe.  I am trying hard not to think about it and distract myself but it is making me really depressed.  My doctor said that my throat looks ok and my glands dont feel swollen, please help me!!!!
This is actually a fairly common complaint for those of us with anxiety issues. Why, I can't tell you. If your doctor has checked you out and found nothing wrong, then you must accept that this is yet another anxiety induced "symptom" you must learn to deal with. I will assume your doctor checked your thyroid out with blood work. I have that sensation frequently myself and can no longer wear turtlenecks or anything that is around my neck tightly. I hate the feeling and it can induce anxiety-like feelings in me. Never use to bother me until about 10 years ago.........my therapist said it was pretty much all in my head and went along with what many of us with anxiety fear, which is the inability to get enough air.
My "guess" is that you are concentrating on this feeling so intensly that your neck muscles ARE tightening up and causing this sensation. Do some neck rolls and stretching exercises when you have these feelings and see if they help.(You can Google some excellent Yoga sites that will teach you these exercises) Some deep breathing may also help you realize that you're taking very shallow breaths which only increases your belief you're not getting enough air.
If this continues, a follow up with your doctor and possibly a pulmanologist will once and for all rule out anything wrong.
Peace
Greenlydia  
i used to get that feeling of tightness in my neck like i couldn't  catch my breath, finally one day i said enough is enough, i don't take my pills enymore and started to live my life again, don't let this ruin your life. i  still get the futtering heart sometimes but i had every test done and i am fine,every sympton is due to anxiety.
meditation/relaxation/cognitive behaviour therapy may help you, ask you gp to refer you for an assessment.hope this helps.
I started feeling this tightness around the neck, at first I thought it was cramps I put some warm towel around my neck and it helped, but also I noticed if I am thinking about it I feel it more due to my anxiety- so best is to meditate and not to focus on those feelings. I am trying to deal with my anxiety w/o drugs, I was taking Buspurine for the last 3yrs- I got sick of taking it I believe I can take charge of this symtoms (symptoms) by discipling my mind by deep meditation and exercise every day and keeping a healthy diet. I am menopausal and determined to deal with this naturally.   Good Luck and may God be with you.
I am 24 years old and for about a week now i have had a weird feeling of a lump in my throat when i swallow, sort of like swallowing a golf ball. i went to the doctor and they said it is sinusitis and put me on amoxicillin (antibiotic). the feeling of a lump in my throat has resolved for the most part but now i feel as if my throat is tight as if someone had their hands around it choking me. this has been going on for 2 days now, and is something i have never experienced before. last year i was diagnosed with anxiety. i found myself constantly worrying about everything, mainly things to do with my health. i started seeing a therapist and he told me that i have severe anxiety. i stopped seeing him because i felt like i was better and i didnt worry about anything or have any weird symptoms of anything for like 6 monthes and now it is back and i am back to talking to a therapist. i am hoping that this tightness in my throat is nothing more than anxiety. i feel like it comes and goes and if i dont think about it it is better. is anyone else dealing or have dealt with the same issues?
I deal with the same issue and my doctor tagged it esophageal reflux; a tightening of the musculature around the chest and neck in response to stress. We couldn't figure out what it was but I was hacking until I threw up. I was actually very relieved to find out that it was caused by anxiety and not something worse.
In my case it was the acid reflux that caused the anxiety, not the other way around. Do you have lots of stomach issues? if so , you may have a case of Gerd and it may be triggering your anxiety.
The palpatations and dizziness may be caused from the acid irratating the sinus/vegas Nerve. Google it.
It is called Globus hystericus!  I have it also.  Terrible stuff!
Ever since I was diagnosed with anxiety I remember having this strangling feeling and like there was a lump in my throat. It's definently a scary side effect from the anxiety. You're not alone.
Im getting this feeling of strangulation too.. No matter how i try not to think about it, I can still feel it ;(
Jade59 commented on photo
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
specialmom commented on skepticalpeach's status