Anxiety Community
Effect of anxiety on family members

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Effect of anxiety on family members

My mother was in and out of hospitals her whole life struggling with a variety of mental health problems, including anxiety. I saw and felt many things that I shouldn't have seen as a young boy growing up. One of the issues crucial to me that I was not guaranteed was emotional safety. Because of my Mom's instability, from day to day, I grew up scared, not knowing what to expect, helpless and feeling I was to blame.
I think of what my Mom could have done to sort of insulate me from what she was going through and the only thing I can think of is for her to let me know when she was having an "episode" and tell me how I could help.
My question is do you take any measures in your family to minimize the effects of your struggles on your children?
Hi! I am glad your cardioversion went well (I have talked to you on the heart forum)!  I am a life-long anxiety sufferer.  I have been anxious ever since I can remember (around 5 or 6) and had my first panic attack at 12.  I, too, felt very unsafe growing up.  I lived in a very dysfunctional, emotionally chaotic and abusive family.  My mom was depressed my entire life and has yet to get help.  I also have relatives with anxiety problems.  Right now, I am married with 2 daughters - one turns 5 tomorrow and the other is 5 months.  I do try to  minimize the bad effects of my problems on my family.  My husband was really at a loss when I went through a "relapse" of anxiety in 2004.  He thought I was losing it and would have to be committed - he had never dealt with an anxious person before.  I have had a sort of "relapsing/remitting" form of anxiety my whole life - I will go through phases where I am fine and then relapse and start having major anxiety and panic.  I am still in the anxiety phase from my major 2004 attack (the worst one of my life).  We nearly divorced over it, but he grew to understand I was really not doing the things I was doing on purpose.  He is now much more understanding of my fear, but he does try to force me to step out and do things I fear.  I try to hide my terror from my kids, but it can't be done sometimes.  My little girl knows I am afraid about my heart and she has started saying "mommy, take my pulse..."  God, I don't want her in the shape I have been in!  I clearly need to do more to insulate my precious family from my disorder while letting them help and support me.  My intentions are good and I'm trying...with God's help I will succeed.
Thin4Freedom says... Haha! Convinced my ... Comment
The Ultimate Food Storage Cheat She...
8 hrs ago by gymdandee
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...