Emetophobia (phobia of throwing up)
Just wondering if anyone else here has emetophobia. I have suffered severly with it for 6 years. I have tried many medications and therepies. Anyone else experiancing this? Any recomended meds or therepies?
i have the damn phobia also,  i  HATE it , seems like i  find myself sucking down emetral all the time. I have 2 little girls and whenever they get sick i turn into a basket-case. Although i can help them when they are sick. (hold there hair back, clean up mess, ect..) I freak out the hold time they have there sickness. I can't eat, fell sick myself,  worry im going to get it. You should get a-load of the way i act.
     Anyway i never really had the need to tell anyone about my struggles because  i never really had to deal with it. If someone was sick, i just took off and told them hope you feel better. But with my kids  i have to face it and i am not doing a very good job at it AT ALL!!!
     So i had to talk about it. I chose my father. I told him the hold story, although he didn't understand my fear and how it could be so crippling , he gave me the best advice he could give at the time. (which kinda sorta helps but far from a cure yet)
       He told me that since it is a phobia and phobia is fear. The only way to concur fear is to face it. ALOT!!!
        This means Eat  when people are sick, taking care of the sick,  keeping yourself calm when feeling sick and just act as normal as possible around the sick. All of which i have incredible trouble with.
      Somewhere along the line you just have  to ask yourself. is throwing up going to kill me? Highly unlikely then why is the fear so bad ?  and what exactly am i fearing? These are all questions i ask myself and as much as i love my kids im so scared of there germs.
        Lots of luck to anyone with the same problem  hope you all can find your sword and shield.   Fight this fear and  beat it    
    Verys best of luck to all
I am 18 and I currently feel nauseas ... but hungry? Or maybe so hungry I'm nausea? i don't know but every night I fear of getting sick; and it really is ruining my life; I don't know when it started; but I know for a fact it's all in my head; and it's near impossible for me to get it out of my head. I don't sleep at night; i stay up until the boyfriend goes to work; then I sleep; I love to walk around or something outside to get my mind off of it but then when I go back inside it hits me like a brick wall. :( i think I might just stay up and watch tv for the rest of the night. please email me if you have any way to help me out: kat.***@****
ummm wow can i relate..... but i feel like after reading this on one hand i feel horrible and scared, but on the other it opens my eyes. im 15 and started feeling like this when i was 9. I just can't seem to figure out where it came from though. I feel nauseous about 3-4 times a day and i shake and make myself burp and carry around ginger pills and do almost everything i can to avoid it and since i got the fear i am thankful to not have puked once..... I just hope that one day I can actually understand how ridiculous it is to let this fear take over my life. I would understand if i was puking a couple of times a month, but i never do. I make myself feel like total crap all the time and i shake and turn and burp and sweat and it all leads up to some distraction that helps me. Maybe the key is not meds or even getting over the phobia its a distraction and a good one.... sometimes singing along to my ipod, reading a book or watching t.v. helps but the best is to gossip with a friend or to talk to someone about an unrelated subject. I know that when im nauseous and people tell me to calm down and forget about it i think it's impossible, but i decided to start making myself do that lately and it has really helped ALOT ......

anyways glad to hear all the stories.... thanks everyonee! be brave, many people have WAYYYYY BIGGER problemms :)

Im only 11 and I have the SAME THING ! I am TERRIFIED to throw up!! Its not even that bad , either! I am becoming basically an agrephobic (sorry, dont know if I spelled that right ) and I have missed about 1 in a half to 2 months of school . I HATE throwing up, and my stomach is Always hurting . I dont know why im so scared to puke :( but its ruining my life ! I noticed you guys are saying that your scared that you are going to die if you puke. I actually WANT to die, my stomach hurts so badly all ofthe time .  I honestly would rather die then throw up ! I need lots of help ! :(  
Wow I didn't realize there were so many people with this issue. I used to have this phobia, especially around 2nd and 3rd grade. I would just randomly feel sick and I'd get really scared and start shaking, especially before tests because it would be really super quiet. Since around 6th grade, I've been telling myself that I'm just freaking myself out because I'd know if I was going to be sick. And that's what I do. I used to have panic attacks if someone even mentioned throwing up. I would have panic attacks if I saw it on TV. I'm a sophomore in high school now, and I consider myself cured (although it still freaks me out a tiny bit). I will sometimes have random bouts where I feel like I'm going to be sick, but I just need to give myself something to think about other than my stomach, which sometimes involves pinching my arm (it works). I can talk about it freely and watch it on TV and even watch it in real life. It's gotten to the point where I am committing myself to an EMT school to train to be a paramedic. So just tell yourself that it's a psychological thing, and give yourself something else to think about, and this will help people cope:) Also, like so many others have said, resign yourself to the fact that it's a natural bodily function and that you aren't going to die because of it. Sure, it smells and it feels super gross, but in the end you'll be fine! :) I worked on curing my phobia all by myself, and as long as you keep at it and just remind yourself that it's not the end of the world, everything will be fine:)
Omg I have been dealing with the exact same thing for years.  I am not afraid that when I puke it means I have cancer or anything like that. I am afraid that I am going to puke in a mall or in front of people, and the most recent development is I am scared to take the bus to school because I am scared that I am going to feel like I am goin to vomit and not be able to hide anywhere.  I am petrified of puking on the bus, which makes me nausuous because that's the main symptom of my anxiety, so then I get more scared ->more sick -> more scared etc.  Can I recommend carrying gingerale in your bag and also a plastic baggie so if u do throw up it doesn't go everywhere?
You dont know how relieved I am to see this. I have been suffering with this for 4 years now. I've always been really skinny but i was healthy! and one day i caught a bacteria that i didnt know i had. i had it for 2 years which caused me severe weight loss and throwing up at least 2 times a day. My Doctor thought i was purposely throwing up and had no idea i had a bacteria. When I hit 80 pounds and at 5'6" thats not a pretty sight they finally sent me to a professional docctor who diagnosed it. I got better but the anxeity of throwing up came with me. I cant go anywhere. I always feel sick and Im afraid to eat..go in cars...go out...travel. I went to my college orientation and I had like 30000 panic attacks i begged my parents to come home. But I realized the only way to get better is facing it. Seriously. After i realized ic ouldnt come home i had to face it. I felt fine for the rest of the trip. Its so hard i know but we need to face this stuff. because its ruining our lives. I had a dream of being a korean singer...and i worked so hard.studying the language...studying lyrics..singing..dancing....and now i cant even go to korea because my parents refuse to let me until im at least 100 pounds. I hate my life now because what it is is just FEAR. throwing up...rather FEAR of throwing up is taking over our lives and ruining us. We could all grow up and or continue to be successful people. We need to figure out how to get rid of this anxiety because I am sick of being a burden to people and sick of ruining my dreams.
I've always had this phobia and it is finally making sense to me. I always felt alone, and nobody understood why I couldn't do things like eat out or go on coasters and things like that. I couldn't go in the car or sometimes leave my house either. It was so terrifying. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still keeps me from doing things like coasters and presentations.
Hmm.
Have the same fear here but i dont know how to expain.when i am around the town i havent got any problems or something like that .when i go on a trip far away or on a camp,it just comes to my mind and tells me "you are going to puke.what you must do next?where i will puke?if i puke on the bus ?if i puke at night?if i puke in front of everyone ?how will they react?What if i have not a bag or smt ?where i will puke then?". This comes to my mind usually at nights.but i dont do that.it just comes ..i wont sleep all night..fear of puking ..i am 15 years old. What should i do ? i dont want to ruin my next vecations ..cause i want to go somewhere with my friends without parents and maybe i am afraid that if i puke i will be alone and now how to do i get home ?
tell me ..
I have been like this since I was 11 years old, I am 21 now. The fear of throwing up as crippled me through most of my life. I to have only thrown up about 3 times in my entire life. I still fear is more then death. Almost two years ago my wife got sick, and I was so scared, well I got sick to and that was the first time i had thrown up in 9 years. Well it really was not that bad during the process, and I thought i was finally over the phobia. I was wrong, it was about two weeks after that I was scared right again. I really thought i could live with this, but now it is so bad I can hardly get one hour of sleep at night. I constenly feel like im going to be sick. Im always thinking about throwing up. I get hot flashes and start having a panic attack. Look I know throwing up is good for you, but I still can't get over it. Its a comfort to know there are people out there like me, but I actually wish there wasn't, because they way i use to get over it was tell myself this is stupid and that noone else feels this way. Well I hope one day we can all get over it. God bless.
me too!
I have this phobia also, its gotten bad. i cant be in a secluded area because im scared there is no way out if i get sick. i constantly worry about "if i got sick, where would i go" im a senior in highschool and i cant even sit through the period after lunch because im so scared im going to get sick in front of everyone. My mouth gets dry and i start to kind of almost hiccup. i dont know if thats anxiety or if that means im about to throw up. ive havnt thrown up since elementary school so i dont remember how it feels. this phobia has ruined by life. i cant have fun with my friends anymore and i hate being in the car cause i worry ill get car sick and throwup on them. does anyone else feel this way?
I am only 9 years old and i have emetophobia. Its taking over my whole life.I am not as bad as u other guys on here though. Obviously, because of my age, I dont take medication. But i do take TUMS. I have learned different ways to cope but only two work. the first one is like; while im at school i need something to look forward to.So my mom plans something for us to do together when she comes home from work at the end of the day.The second one is just really focus on what im doing. I take a stuffed animal to school everyday,too. i can go places and go out to eat without feeling nervous, though.But if someone could PLEASE tell me what to do in the morning, i would be SO thankful.Oh, and just cuz i wanna tell someone this, my step- grandpa gave me 300 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally agree.. this fear rules my life, its horrible.  Has anyone found a way to cure? if so PLEASE let me know.. I can't do anything in a day with out fearing it happening around me or to myself... I take it to extremes uncontrollably.  I order a hamburger med-well and it comes out juicy and red and I freak because if i eat it i might get food poisoning...and i just turned 21 and I'm a college student.  I don't party because i cant drink because i fear throwing up! ugh... someone please pleasehttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/new/4842# help me..
Does anyone know of anything that works.?  My friends daughter has this and I don't know what advise to give her. Read all the stories. My heart goes out to you all. What works for you?
Obviously WE are not alone.  By age 38 I've only thrown up 4 times in my life (ages: 4,9,20,36)   and survived two pregnancies without ever getting sick. During pregnancy I did feel nausious, but it was safe to take motion sickness pills, wear sea bands and eat ginger......  If I see or even hear about someone getting sick I instantly feel sick, nausious, sweat and all of my muscles tense up and quiver (shakes)....  It's awful..  Now that I have two babies, I'm getting much better at being around it, fortunately they rarely get sick.  My daughter had a stomach flu a couple of weeks ago, I just ran her to the bathroom and stood down the hallway telling her it would be okay, it's okay baby....... she is 3.....  By the end of the virus I was able to hold a bucket for her, close my eyes, and tell her everything was going to be okay..  It's so hard.   I'm glad there is support for those who need it out there :)
Try smoking a little bit of weed, it really helps with nasuea. Also, I like to sit outside when I'm feeling anxious and just try to focus on my breathing. You might be surprised how well these techniques combined can work
I read your fear on throwing up, how your daughter got sick and you were sure you were next, to the point you didnt eat... That sounds exactly like me to a t!!! How do you cope or deal with the fear? I feel mine is taking over my life. Im miserable
Im so happy to hear you say this! This is exactly how I feel!! Im glad to know im not the only one!!
I thought i would share in also. I had this fear since i was about 15yrs old, now 37. i feel that anytime i hear or been around someone that has had the stomach flu i would for sure get it. i have been in stages that i wouldnt eat for days, and having thoughts that i am gonna get it. i cant get those thoughts out of my head and i try to keep my self busy to distract my thoughts. it seems to be better in the summer (out of flu season) and iam alot more active. i dont want to go on any meds because i know they wont help these thoughts. good example is now, my wife was up last night with the stomach flu, and now its like playing russian roulette, its the waiting game. i try avoid any situation that i know that someone has been sick. so no i am not sleeping in the bed until i feel that it has fully passed. any comments are welcome.
Ive dealt with this my entire life. My entire family thinks its absolutely ridiculous, and they always have. I'm going on 24 and I STILL can't shake this irrational fear of vomit. If I know someone is throwing up, if I hear them in the act, see it, think about it, I get a panic attack. My heart immediately starts to race, i get nauseous, my hands start to sweat, I want to scream and run as far away from that person as humanly possible. This is something I can't control. I wish I could, because it runs my life. I'm constantly afraid of getting the stomach bug and I go to bed hoping I don't wake up sick that night. No normal person should think about it HALF as much as I do. If anyone can help, please do. Its been 24 years too long honestly, what's going to happen when I have my own kids? You can't freak and have a panic attack when you're their mother.
I have had this fear since before I could even remember.  My mom noticed it in me as young as 2 years old.  My anxiety is SEVERELY hightened in winter (stomach bug season) and I literally have anxiety attacks every single day.  Even when I hear someone say "i feel sick" without even specifically saying their stomach hurts I freak out cause I automattically think they assume that.  What I hate the most about this, is the anxiety makes me nauseas, which in turn makes me think i have the stomach bug.  So i never know if it is just anxiety, or im actually sick and that is the absolute worst part.

For all looking for help...its hard because its something you cant control.  Wash your hands as much as you can, before you eat, after your in a public place, after you touch door handles, etc.  Washing hands is the #1 way of preventing the stomach bug.  Hand sanitizer DOES NOT kill stomach bug germs...so be sure to wash with soap and water.  Knowing the ways stomach bug is transmitted can really help.  It is transmitted through saliva and stool, not through the air like the common cold.  So dont share drinks, and wash your hands after using a bathroom.  Therapy is something that can really help with this phobia because typically there is a deeper meaning behind it like fear of loss of control, fear of unhealthy, or just a tragic experience.  By figuring out the roots, you can help fight it better.  

Everyones posts sound so similar to me...its so nice to know im not alone.,
i have had a fear of myself throwing up and other people throwing up. i would say im more feraful of other people throwing up i have been having this phobia for 6 years now.
I know what you meen. I have that same fear. It really bothers me in school .I just want it to stop. The nausea gets worse every day. I just can't go to the nurse everyday. What should I do. I have pretty much no options.
I have the same fear! I try to talk myself through it saying its all in my head but its all I think about every single day! I hate it I hate it so so.much! Ive had this phobia as long as I can remember and I have no idea why! Someone tell me how to make this go away its RUINING my life!!
Hi, I'm 54 and have had this fear my whole life. How do you do it. I had an issue years ago and got a pill stuck in my windpipe so now I have a fear of swallowing pills.What meds can I keep with me that will stop a puking episode. My dad passed away of colon cancer a few years ago and my brother of prostate cancer. I need a colonoscopy but fear the prep. I have no life. I don't go out and I hate people coming over for fear they carry a stomach virus. What can I do? I need help?
Thank you, I know you wrote this years ago But I just saw it.
loretta
I'm sooooo glad I'm not alone. I figured I was just being silly. But I've thrown up 3 time in my life that I can remember. And I'm turning 15 soon. I was adopted so my guardian wasn't always as supportive about everything as she was with her own kids. Which I find understandable. And now I've read a lot about this and found that not having support from a parent can cause it. So if anyone finds a cure I would LOVE to know because I go through everyday thinking "am I going to throw up?", "should I eat this? If I throw this up will I hurt?" all these kind of things.
Im 13, and i have a phobia of throwing up. I havent done it in a few years, but whenever my stomach hurts, i feel scared a lot inside. I thought i was the only one who was like this until i read these comments. Whenever someone else throws up, i become extremely scared and start having an anxiety attack. My friends try to help me through it, but they just dont understand. My one friend threw up at school and i couldnt be near her the rest of the day. Im glad to know that im not alone.
this is so empowering...I am 16 years old and have dealt with this phobia for what seems like my whole life. I feel like I am the only one in my friend group, family, and every other social circle in the world who endures this kind of pain.

Yesterday for the first time in years I felt as though i needed to throw up and I lost control of myself, it was terrifying. I was saying things like "I want to die" and "Kill me" to my poor mother, who was doing all she could to help me. I've been working with a therapist but, simply put, I am not cured.

I believe everyone on this forum is looking for a cure. I see so many comments saying "HELP ME!" and "WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE THIS GO AWAY FAST!" but emetophobia isn't something that goes away overnight. It's a long struggle and it's scary and awful but what else can we do. We have each other to tell us we're not alone

best of luck to everyone on here.
i dont know why but im more afraid of throwing up during the night during the day im all good  but at night would rather die thn trow up even my parents think it is a stupid fear so i have kinda had to brsveit on my own it is the worst feeling in the world when u see other people go about there daily lives with such ease and you are there knowing that u may never be able to do the same thing without having a constant fear. and stand range enough as it is some people like me find things to get yourself through the fear and that is my parents even though they want me to throw up just so i can get over it but it is not that simple most people dont understand how bad a phobia can be and they take it for granted the way they can live there lives with such little fear. i am 14 and i watch the other kids as the do drugs get drunk and ruin their lives and i wish they could see how goo they got it for not having the same fears as me i would trade there lives in an instante no matter how bad they think the got it.
this is a real fear and all you people who have it no matter haw alone u feel ur not alone ok there are lost of people just like u so stay strong.
the have this drug for chemo paitents that when i was little i used to tae for this other drug and they do wonders no aweful side affects not illagle but it helped they also have over the counter ones that are less stronge but sometime just saying to yourself i took this im going to be okay helps but try to get over your fear too
I am 13 years old and I have this problem. Whenever someone even chokes, I can't eve eat for days. If someone says their stomach hurts, I start shaking and sweating and covering my ears it's terrible. I go to a breathing class to help me when I get anxiety. I have only remember twice I threw up in my entire life it was when I had a really bad case of pneumonia...if i eat too much in a restaurant then i run to the bathroom and just sit in there till we leave. it's so good to see that other people also have this problem(:
Hi there, your post reads almost identical to my experience.  The night time is the worst for me and I even struggle to relax when I'm at my parent's for the night, or they stay with me - in case they get sick.  I'm in the UK and saw a psychiatrist yesterday who told me this phobia is one of the easier ones to sort out.  I also know that breathing properly - so deep, into your lower belly - really helps to alleviate panic attacks and tension and to reinstate a sense of calm and stillness.  

My life is completely taken over by vomiting phobia - particularly during the winter months when infectious tummy bugs appear much more prevalent.  I can't even be on social media sites at the moment as people seem to insist on updating their status to let the world know they're sick.  This all just makes the danger of getting a tummy bug seem so much closer to me and I freak out. I've also just had a plumber in the house who told me his kids have a bug and of course I had to check with him that they weren't being sick otherwise I'd have to get him out of the house in case he brought the bug into my home and put me at risk.  It's all so exhausting, having this occupy my thoughts as much as it does.  I'm 40 years old and was last sick aged 9 (with one exception about 5 years ago, which was v brief and down to over indulgence). I didn't freak out 5 years ago, in the way I do now.  I think that in part my heightened state of phobia is down to news about tummy bugs travelling so fast that it only serves to warp my perspective on the realities of the danger.  I wish everyone on this message board all the very best with conquering their phobia.  I am yet to feel 'cured' but I feel confident that I can learn to manage this and reclaim my life.  
Thanks you so much for this comment... I actually helped me a ton!
I'm always scared of being sick. It takes over my every day life. I'm only 13! I alway get scared of it at school and I'm scared of being sick at school. I'm regularly get nausea and work myself up thinking I'm going to be sick. I don't want to take meds for it. I've been sick 3 times before in my life that I can remember but I hate it SO much. Its the most horrible thing in the world. Happy I'm not the only person who suffers from this :)
I'm almost 16 and I have this. It started when I was 4 and threw up for the first time... It got so bad I would refuse to eat and lost a lot of weight. It came back in the 6th grade after I felt sick at a camp I went to (I didn't even throw up there) and I've been struggling with it since. I have to always have a grocery bag with me in my purse just in case, but I almost never throw up so it's completely irrational! It's really affecting my life as i've missed a lot of school, i just don't know how to conquer this phobia. Anyone have any tips?
I self-diagnosed myself with emetophobia about a year ago.
I'm lucky enough to have never really thrown up so much in my life - the only time I ever remember was when I was 7, and caught a stomach bug that was sweeping through the school. I'm told I was a very strong-stomached baby and only ever threw up once or twice. I've always been a real healthy kid, rarely even getting a cold - when everyone around me (friends, family, classmates) get the cold/flu, I never get it. Ever.
But I've had this fear as long as I can remember. My mum is brilliant with throwing up, she just laughs it off and she's fine straight away. My dad gets really nervous and pacy, but not nearly as bad as me.
I know it's all in the mind, and that we really have no control over bodily-urges like that. If we're sick, we have to throw up. How else do we get better? But I still get really nervous, heart starts racing, hyperventilating, shaking like crazy, feel uneasy and faint, and I instinctively plug my ears and hold my breath.
My aunt and grandmother are staying over at my mum's house with me, and they were drinking a lot earlier. A few hours ago, my aunt threw up in the bath just a few feet away from my bedroom (luckily my door was closed, but I still heard it) and I was freaking out for a good hour. I needed the toilet (the phobia gives me an upset stomach) but I was too scared to leave my room in case there was sick on the floor or it smelled like it. My aunt is back in bed, and I'm calm again now, but I'm still uneasy about walking past the bathroom again.
What's worse is that it's MY bathroom. It sounds weird, I know, but I have my bathroom because my house has 3 and the one closest is just outside my room. So it's my bathroom, with a bath and a sink and cupboards and a shower and stuff. But now I'm scared I'll never feel comfortable in that room ever again! Ugh, it's so annoying!
Just a couple weeks ago, before P.E. at school, I drank too much water. I was never actually sick, but we were doing this agility-course thing and I felt so sick I couldn't move. I felt faint and clammy and nervous and stuff. But it wasn't as bad as it was when my aunt threw up. So I'm starting to think I'm more afraid of someone ELSE being sick, than I am of myself. :/ Crazy, right?
It's always at the back of my mind when I go out to eat somewhere, "what if this makes me ill?" or if I go to a friend's house "what if I catch a bug?". My friend threw up in class the other day, and I watched, but she made no noise and I never actually saw or smelt it because she gagged into a napkin and ran to the bathroom to flush it away. I was fine, no problems at all. No shaking, nothing. I just asked if she was okay and she said "yeah".
She's one of those people who have no problems with being sick. Go figure how she stays so calm.
I now associate throwing up with alcohol, mainly because all adults I've ever seen be sick were drunk or had been drinking wine. I have the intention of being a non-drinker when I'm an adult anyway, but this is just reinforcing it. I'm now worried that I'll get drunk when I'm in uni or whatever and throw up and never forgive myself for letting it get so far. I'd hate myself. :(
Anyways, on a finishing note, we're all in this together. It's mind over matter, literally. :) Keep your chin up!
Yep I've had it, still kind of do. It was worse before because I had never thrown up. Then a few years ago I got to drinking really heavy and threw up three different times. Now I'd say I'm not terrified of it but the thought of it still gives me anxiety.
I have this fear bad, and it's especially awful at night - in fact. the only reason i'm on this page is because I am currently having a minor freak out that I might vomit tonight. I need proper help, but have no one to get help from... please, any replies and suggestions would be amazing. It's simply wonderful to find out so many other people feel the same.
We can change! I have had a fear if throwing up ever since I can remember. Even though I've only thrown up a countable number of times that I remember, I've still been absolutely petrified. I have anxiety/panic disorder which only adds hell to my phobia of throwing up. I have tried and tried and tried to just say SCREW IT and just accept throw up. It's honestly not such a terrible thing when I think of it in my head. Ever since I remember I've been constantly nauseated, literally constantly. I don't render what it's like to feel normal. But I'm 19 now...... And pregnant!! One of my worst fears was the throwing up! I am nine weeks today an have been in the hospital once from hyperemesis gravidarum. A severe type of "morning sickness"! I haven't thrown up once this pregnancy except for this morning at 4 a.m. I woke up my husband and freaked out like usual an crowd and hyperventilated and just plain lost it. Then he and I went into the bathroom and after ten dry heaves in the pitch black bathroom, I threw up! My husband held my hand the whole time and after the four seconds of throwing up... I was ok. I realized its not that bad. It's just the feeling of nausea and about to throw up that causes my panic attack. And with my husband right by my side, I'll be prepared to throw up again tonight or tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. Because I WILL NOT LET THIS CONTROL ME ANYMORE! I understand these fears absolutely, we can overcome them!!!!!
If you have a severe fear of vomiting chances are you will never vomit.  Your body builds up some kind of defense mechanism to prevent you from vomiting even if you want to.  I have had a huge fear of it my whole life.  Ill put it this way.  Im 31 yrs old and have not thrown up since the 5th grade.  Ive had fo
od poisioning and stomach bugs through the years and still didnt vomit.  Probally not too healthy but better then the alternative in my eyes.
I read that statistically, people with this fear throw up far less than people with out it. I have a small fear of throwing up and it has gotten smaller and smaller as I've gotten older. I will be 30 in less than 2 months. Hope that helps.
sertilne is what I take works good I had it for 6 years too and I am 11
I'm 14, and the last time I threw up was 6 years ago. I was in 3rd grade and I went to the nurse in school and she gave me crackers and then I threw up in the toilet. But she said I threw up because of my cough and sent me back to class. Then it was snack time and I ate a couple of chips and I knew I was going to throw up but I didn't want to get out of my seat because I thought that I'd get in trouble, so I tried to call the teacher but she didn't hear, and I threw up all over the floor. It was the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to me. And last week my sister (I share a room with her) ran into the bathroom at 5 am to throw up. So I moved all my clothes that I'd need and moved into the basement. Then two days later my mom got sick. Then two days later my dad got sick. Now it's three days since my dad was throwing up, and I'm still sleeping in the basement, because I am so scared that I'm going to get sick and throw up in school. And now I'm in Highschool and so the nurse is far from my classes. I've been washing my hands so much that I they hurt and I have rashes on them. I don't know what else to say, I'm just hate the sound of people throwing up, I hate throwing up, I hate what throw up looks and smells like, and I really really do NOT want to throw up in school.
So I just got done reading all of these, and I feel so bad that people besides myself deal with this! It is the most awful thing in the world to me. It effects my life more and more everyday, and I am trying so hard to get a handle on things.I am 21 yrs old and since I can remember this phobia has plagued my life. I haven't even thrown up since i was 11 and at sixth grade camp (which was so awful because of the phobia).
It's not just panicking about myself throwing up (which turns into a full blown panic attack) but it's about people around me too. If they even gag I get nauseous and sweaty. I play sports with my college, and I dreaded hell week, not because of the hell it puts you through, but because someone might throw up. It's a team sport, you normally don't actually see someone throw up, but it was the possibility that it could happen. Even a couple years ago when my sister was throwing up I abandoned her in the bathroom and peaced out to my grandparents house because I was so freaked out. It's gotten to the point where i don't want to go spend the night with her in her apartment because she threw up in it in October. I also work with athletes everyday, and I chose a great sport for my phobia, not. I work with wrestlers everyday and the team i work with is great because there are not that many who throw up but they have their days, and I just panic all the time. Every time I am in that wrestling. It is starting to effect my job. Everyone around me just tells me to get over it because its irrational, and I have tried so hard! Heck I chose a sport that deals with throw up more than most sports, and I cannot shake this.
When it comes to myself throwing up it is even worse. I saw someone on here saying the plead with God every day, well that is exactly what I do. When I feel super sick, I close my eyes, pray to God, and have a full blown panic attack trying not to throw up.
The stomach bug is going around right now too so I wash my hands like crazy, and I try to avoid every person who has had it because I don't want it. I even convinced myself that I had it because I gave myself so much anxiety. One of the guys on the team got it, and I kept a safe distance from him for a while because I was so determined to not get it. When I first started college I and as learning about the human body for my major, I learned that the Vagus nerve is the gag reflex nerve and honestly my first thought was how can I get that cut? how do I stop this horrible phobia? turns out you can't. Jokes on me because that nerve innervates your heart, therefore if you cut it, your heart stops beating. Instadeath.
Thankfully, being 21 it hasn't effected my alcohol consumption because i do know my limits. my only worry is that someone around me at the bar will throw up, and that I could not handle.
Because I have this I would not wish this upon anything, but it is nice to hear that I am not crazy and that I am not alone in this. I hope to someday figure out a treatment for this because no one should have to live in fear of this.
I started to have this fear about a year ago. A week before I get my period I get nausea and I'm afraid of going anywhere because im afraid of throwing up. I am a 34 year old woman with three children and I feel like this is starting to take over me. I don't want it to!!!
I'm currently amidst an anxiety attack for a different reason, so I thought I'd add my story about my emetophobia.

I've always had anxiety.  I'm now 26 years old and have only vomited (that I can remember), 4 times, and three of those episodes were in the past year!  I think the spruce of the fear was my friend throwing up on me in 1st Grade... Like full on, across the table from me all over my face.  In elementary school I refused to wear grey sweatpants on Wednesday because a boy once got sick in front of the class when I was wearing those on a Wednesday.  If a family member contracted a stomach bug, I would stay at another friend's house for days.  I would refuse to have play dates with certain kids because they had the tendency to vomit.

The fear got less severe as I got older.  I only recall having a stomach virus once in 3rd Grade, and I was up all night before I finally gave in and threw up (in the toilet!).  After that, I'd had bouts of food poisoning and stomach viruses and I just willed myself not to vomit!  I once didn't eat for a week after my entire extended family contracted the Norovirus two Christmases ago and one-by-one started leaving; dropping like flies.  

I'm not so freaked about those who vomit when drunk, because I know it's not a virus I can catch.  I've held my friends hair back, watched my friend vomit into a paper cup at a bar, and even was vomited on while caring for a drunk friend.  It was disgusting, but it did not give me the panic I get when I hear someone is sick with a stomach virus.  

Cut to: this year.  Before this year, Id always been able to hold my liquor really well... Never got sick.  I was out at a bar with my roommate and hadn't eaten, got too drunk too fast and felt a feeling I hadn't felt in forever.  It's a feeling that you just KNOW, regardless of how long it's been.  I've sat on the floor of a bathroom with stomach upset countless times in tears because I never remembered what that felt like.  I hauled *** to the bathroom and just vomited.  Not a lot, but enough that it was time to go.  I had another instance happen on a date in which I was at a guy's house dry heaving all night, and then finally called a cab home from a club because I had "the feeling," only to immediately vomit in my bushes once I got home. I thought I had conquered it until two months ago when I had horrible indigestion.  I was up all night, even drove down to 7/11 for ginger ale and Gatorade.  I was convinced I would throw up.  Heart beatinf, dry mouth, feeling of soon.  I never did.  

I had always heard people say "Well no one LIKES to throw up!"  Not truly understanding a phobia I've had on which I've purposefully removed myself from situations in which I think there's even the slightest possibility I might contract a stomach bug.  So it's so nice to hear all of these stories I relate to!