Anxiety Community
Emetophobia (phobia of throwing up)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Emetophobia (phobia of throwing up)

Just wondering if anyone else here has emetophobia. I have suffered severly with it for 6 years. I have tried many medications and therepies. Anyone else experiancing this? Any recomended meds or therepies?
I have this but never knew there was a name for it. I feel like if I throw up then something really bad is wrong with me and I'm going to die. Lucky for me I have only thrown up once in my life that I can remember. I do not know about meds but I'm sure some therapy would really help. throwing is normal and just tell yourself you are fine if you get sick and relax you will be fine.
Wow, I must have had every anxiety issue on this board.  Yeah, I was afraid of it for a couple years, then I threw up and it definitely is not fun in the moment, but I realized I wasn't going to die.  I HATE throwing up, don't get me wrong, but I have done it a few times since then and I haven't died yet!  It is normal, in fact, if you get a stomach virus/food poisoning and don't throw up, that is abnormal because it's your body's way of getting rid of toxins.  Honestly, I had a stomach virus (BAD) the first week of February and I felt the same way, "oh man, I am throwing up so hard I'm going to die."  But I just kept telling myself after that thought that "no, you won't die - it's normal, it sucks, but it's normal and I'm just going to open my mouth and let it come."  Yuck.  It is not pleasant, but I have just done it so much since my phobia of it, that I am over it.  It just became commonplace I guess because I had some stomach problems and a couple viruses so I had no choice.  If you get sick, just remember, everyone does it and just open your mouth and let it go!  It WILL be over in a second and you'll live:)

Take care!  
Heyy no i dont have a fear of that but i can def relate to you. i always worry about brain tumors or other health issues. so i know what your going threw. dont worry your not alone!
Oh - that is one of my WORST fears!!  My poor daughter threw up for the first time last month at 11 years old and I was a WRECK.  I was sure I was next - I didn't eat for 3 days.  I HATE this fear with a passion.  Let me know if you find a way to deal with it.  I would love to let it go.
YES.  I have a big fear of that.  I get sick to my stomach (atypical panic attacks, they say) and all I can fixate on is not throwing up.  It's more than just hating the thought of it...it's an overwhelming, petrifying fear.  And it only causes me to feel sicker because I worry about it so much.

And I don't know why I worry.  Here's my "vomit log" haha:

1. 10/06 - dry heaves.  sick from lexapro?  I think I was just nauseated but got so worked up I ended up in the floor.  It lasted less than an hour.

2. 01/01/05 - A real bad night.  Had gallbladder problems but didn't know what it was at the time.  Had eaten a lot that day and was throwing up for hours.

3. 06/15/04 - Happened while driving 70 mph through a construction zone on the freeway.  No way off.  I thought it was food poisoning at the time but it could've been the gallbladder.

4. ????? - Probably due to being drunk in college...mid to late 1990's

I bring all that up to illustrate that it's an irrational fear.  As you can see, I've only vomited once in 2 years (I don't know whether or not to count the lexapro incident), and only a couple times during the past DECADE.  The likely cause of both incidences was removed surgically and yet I STILL fear it like the wrath of God.  But once you get into the actual vomiting, it's not anywhere near as bad as the leading up to it.  It's something that, once it happens, you resign yourself to pretty quickly.  

Yeah, thats exactly what is like. I have only thrown up maybe 4 times in my life that I can remember and im almost 20. One was hardly anything as it was caused by taking codine and I had a stomach ulser at the time, so it was nothing really. Once its over, you feel heaps better and think "that wasn't so bad." But none of that seems to really matter, the fear still rules my life. Making me basically agoraphobic.

I was interested to know if anyone else here had it. I didn't realise how common it was till I looked it up on the net and found that it is one of the top ten fears and even has a name! It was a relief not to feel alone.
I started having anxiey when I was in 2nd grade only it was of going to school. I think it was from my parents divorcing when I was 5. At about 9 years old it became of throwing up. truly i am only 13 right now but I have it really bad. I take 200 mg. of zoloft every day and when I have anxiety attacks I take a xanax. Even when my stomach hurts I get scared that I will throw up and it usually evolves to having an anxiety attack. I never new there was a name for it and I just starting having a little anxiety a while ago so I came to see if there was anything to read online that might help me. I am terrified of throwing up and even though I know it won't kill me I am still scared. I have usually 2-5 anxiety attacks a week. I go to a therapist but she doesn't do anything for me. My doctor says I will outgrow it when I am older and I hope that is true. Two of my really close friends are scared of throwing up but not nearly as bad as me. Even after I throw up I say "That wasn't so bad" but right when I start feeling bad I freak out again. I don't know what to do about it so if anyone (that isn't a child malester ) has any suggestions e-mail me at   ****@*****
oh yes, i recognize it... i was blessed with 13 phobias about 7 years ago and i worked through 11 by myself but that one really doesnt leave easily. i also have only thrown up twice since i was 11 (and im 29 now) so its a real irrational fear. the worst part about it must be the fact that most people that i know who have it all know that its irrational, now if it was a 'rational' fear, like if it happened a lot so to speak, then it would be easier to handle i think...
For the past two months i have been getting really sick. i especially get sick when i am in big crowds. i feel a lump in my throat and feel like i am bout 2 get really sick and puke!!! but i am so terrified that  i am going to throw up cause i hate it so much.. it is getting really bad right now. i even noticing that when i go somewhere i will look to see a good place to go run to puke where no one will see.. one of the reasons i think i do this is cause last spring me and my mother where walking around in the mall when i felt very sick so i headed for a bathroom but unfortunatley i didn't make it i throw up about 3 to 4 times on the way to the bathroom and i was totally embarassed bout the whole thing and the fact i hate throwing up period!!! and now i am still feeling really sick but never throwing up it is to the point i will be setting at home alone and feel sick like i am going to puke and i am terrified of puking...it is now starting to interfear with my schoolwork and everyday activites i am so sick and tired of putting up with it and i think it is all in my head but i am still cant get it out... please tell me what  u think i shoud do and if i have this phobia...
thanks
tayler!!!
I know exactly how you feel.  I have been this way for most of my life.  The thought that there is a stomache flu going around, almost house ridens me.  A friend of mine passed away when I was in grade 6, she went to throw up and stucked in back into her lungs, which caused her to drowned.  I know that its a 1 out of a 10000000000 chance that it would ever happen to me. But the odds are still there.  Having this fear has actually brought on more than I have ever excepted.  I now have  problems going to crowded place, being someplace that I dont feel comfortable, anorexia, and severe and consistant panic attacks.  I have gone to doctors and they want me to go on a million different pills, which i dont feel comfortable taking.  So I try to deal with it on my own.  I hide alot of how I feel which bothers some ppl in my life because they truely honestly dont understand why i feel this way.  So it is easier for me to keep it in, and not let it affect anyones life around me.  But it is deblitating.  I understand exactly how you feel!!  

Amanda
I have had anxiety since i was 5.  I was scared of death, throwing up, diseases, or just felt anxious for no reason.  The biggest fear I had in high school was the fear that i was having a heart attack due to the heart palpitations i was having from the panic attacks.  Anxiety is extremely hard to deal with because half the time you feel like you are going crazy or that you are psycho... and you don't want to tell anyone about it because you don't want them to think you're psycho.  I'm a junior in college now and my only fear now is throwing up in public.  I hate eating at restaurant with anyone but my family because i'm scared that I will puke at the table or where everyone will see me.  It is the most irrational fear but i'm still petrified and feel anxious whenever I think about it.  I have had a boyfriend now for 8 months, and I don't want to tell him about my phobia in fear that he will think that i'm psycho... I know that if for some reason I did throw up when we're out to eat or in public or anywhere in public that he would be more concerned that I was ok  as opposed to thinking i'm crazy... but the fear still lingers in my mind constantly.... I dont know how to get rid of this phobia.... I'm also just feelin anxious all the time for no reason... like i'm going to lose control or something which is affecting my grades and normal day activities... i just want to feel normal
Hi all of you pukers!!!        I just had to say that...    No, really, you just HAVE to laugh at some things. Just want to let you know it could be worse.  My problem is that I am a pooper!  I have a fear that I will have to poop and there won't be anywhere to go.  I know, it's stupid ( and quite funny ).  What has helped me is to put a porta potty in my car, so anywhere I go, if I have to go, I feel reassured that I have a place to poop!  So, maybe you guys can carry around a bag, so if you feel like you have to puke, you will have a place to puke.  I think what it really boils down to is that we don't want to be embarassed in public and feel less than "normal".  But what is normal anyway?  Do you know anyone who is really normal? And even if everyone in the whole world WAS normal, and you are the only abnormal one, wouldn't you expect the people who really care about you, the ones you call friends, to overlook and not care if you threw up every now and then?  I try to just stop caring about what strangers think about me and just accept myself just as I am, with all of my "abnormalities".  Hope this helps!
I know I would rather be stabbed than to throw up. I too, didn't know anyone else felt this way. And since I have read the article about the kid dying from the throw up going in the lungs I think I feela panic attack coming on, thinking about that might happen to me the next time I have to throw up. Yes, I'm a hypochondriac with GA, and panic attack with agoraphobia. Maybe I don't need to read about these experiences, cause I think there happening to me!!
i'm a 21/f and i've self-diagnosed myself as being emetophobia. i am currently suffering though depression. i think about death and life's inevitable overall direction towards it, all the time. i worry about my family's health, my own health, and i regret most everything in my life. my biggest fear is emetophobia so combining this with incurable diseases is freaking me out. for example, cancer. 1 in 8 women get cancer (or something similar to that). how the hell am i supposed to enjoy life when i'm just waiting to get cancer? then there's the medications and drugs that cause nausea and vomitting during cancer treatment. i would rather die that throw up. is anyone out there as terrified as me?
I haven't thrown up since I was 8 years old.  I will do everything and anything, psych myself out mentally.  
I have always suffered from emetophobia, ever since I can remember. But just in this last year, all of a sudden, it has taken over my life. I mean, I was terrified of throw up/throwing up but it didn't interfere so much with my daily life. I was always on the go.. school, working and hanging out with my friends. I was never one to just sit at home, doing nothing. But now all that has changed. I can't do ANYTHING (driving,working,shopping,etc.) without having panic attacks and just completely freaking out. It's ridiculous and I don't understand what is wrong with me! It's like my brain takes over and i have absolutely NO control of it! Anyways, around this time last year I just started feeling sick..a sick feeling that never went away, and it's still here. For the first week or two I just thought oh well, it'll get better.. probably what most people would think. But when it didn't get better I finally decided to go to the doctor and I just tried as well as I could to explain to him that my stomach always hurt. He wanted me to have an Endoscopy test done to see in my stomach if I had a hernia or ulcer.. well, being emetopobia the first thing I thought of was someone putting something down my throat and throwing up so that was the LAST thing I wanted to do. So, he put me on Protonix for acid reflux to see if that helped.. ( because we didn't know at that time If it was an ulcer or hernia ). After taking it for almost 3 months I was seeing no difference in the way I felt. By that time I have already had tons of blood tests and everything came back fine.. so the only thing left was an Endoscopy and I was hopeless. I finally got the courage to just get it done because I wanted my life back! They found nothing. I mean don't get me wrong, this was good news, but at least if it was something they could have seen I would have known why i was feeling this way and took steps to fix the problem. So i gave up for awhile and just dealt with the suffering.. I didn't know what else to tell my doctor and I didn't know how to explain what I was feeling! He finally brought up Anxiety.. and he told me that he thinks that's what I could possibly have. I've heard of anxiety before but I just didn't understand how one day everything can be fine and I can be going places, RIDING ROLLER CAOSTERS, and feeling great to feeling horrible and never wanting to ever ride a roller coaster again or even leave the house! So, I didn't believe that was the problem. Then I started reading about it... and the more and more I read the more it related to what I was feeling. Does anyone have any advice on any medications that will help? Like 5 years ago I took Lexapro for depression.. and i still have a month's supply left so I think I'm going to just go ahread and try it..I guess it can't hurt andI hope to god it may help. If anyone knows anything that I can do to help.. I'm definitely ready to hear it! I still don't understand how this can just hit you all of a sudden... so if anyone can somewhat explain it to me that would be great. Thanks for reading about me ATTEMPTING to explain this.. it's just so hard to put it into words!
This is a bit like finding the Holy Grail. I have suffered from this for years now. Have diary entries talking about when I was approx 11-yrs-old and what I used to go through. I am now 38 and still the same. No need for me to write out all the things I go through. Just have to read every post above and it is like reading my life story. No matter who I went to over the years they never ever had any name for the condition at all. Hence I was delighted to finally find a name after all these years. It would make you wonder really. The professionals of all sorts of medicine can't tell you a name for the condition, how much they study up on their own profession.
What I am just wondering is about weight and food. I know I am under-weight for my age. Big time. How do other people manage with the weight side of things? Assuming that food can seem to be a bad thing to have in the system at times. Especially when feeling so bad. And also has anybody ever heard of any 100% certain type of help that would work? Fair to say it has ruined my life. I am an indoors person. But even in here I can feel just as bad. This web page / forum was the first ever naming of the condition which was a great help for peace of mind in a way. Fair play to everybody who has written up their own stories.
I am 21 and just got married this past September. My anxiety started in February and i have no clue why. I thought maybe since i got engaged December 2006 and the thought of settling down hit me hard and this was the reason why i was feeling terrible. I had blood tests done and i was even hospitalized to try to see that the problem was. When the anxiety started getting worse i didn't want to leave the house at all. I use to be the happy go lucky person who was always fun and could go out even after working a twelve hour day. Nothing bothered me at all! I thought maybe after the wedding and all the stress of planning had went away, all my feeling would go away. I was wrong. We went to Captiva Island for our honeymoon (south of Fort Myers) which was completely empty due to the time of year. If anyone has been there, you would understand. I felt like i was in some kind of no-mans-land. This scared the heck out of me. My husband proceeded to tell me that there was only one volunteer firestation on the entire island!!! I went crazy the entire honeymoon constantly asking myself..what happens if i get sick?? who's going to help me?? We left a day early and came back home because i went into an anxiety meltdown. I just wanted to go home. The fear since then is still with me. I am able to get out of the house to go to work and my parents house. It's extremely hard for me to go out to dinner at restaurants from the fear of throwing up. I don't go to clubs or bars because i am terrified of the thought of throwing up. This has taken over my life. It's the most terrible feeling. I honestly would rather have a booger up my nose and have someone tell me then to have to deal with this. It's nice to know there are others out there besides me. I've tried Lexapro...doean't work...just mellows you out for a while but doesn't take away the phobia. The only thing i can think that will help this is talking to a professional who can work with people like me.Like i said before i don't know where this came from but i am hoping it goes away soon.
i am a 21 yo male athIetic, geunine person and also as it seems like everyone on this board has an intense phobia of throwing up as intense as it comes ( example- the last time i got sick i was in a 3 month anxiety, panic attack). I have had it since i can remember. and i think about it EVERYDAY at some point. I can honestly say that this phobia has created boundaries in my life that i know hold me back more than i will ever maybe know. I have tried everything and anything spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on getting rid of anxiety and my phobia most of all. and what i think i have come to realize is you cant avoid this phobia it is unlike any other phobia, which is why we are scared of it, we can not control it for the most part. Getting sick is an inevitable fact of life for most people. I still have my phobia and i am now trying to rid my phobia through positive thought . I think maybe if i can just change my negative thoughts about it to the positive aspects maybe it will help. But i fear even if i do get some grasp on it, i feel it is safe to say i will have some lingering fear for the rest of my days. Who knows? everyday is a new day and the posibilities are limitless as to what you can conquer. i felt alone with this phobia for years and now know i def am not alone. it helps a little.
You are far from alone. And I am starting to think the only real answer is to face up to the condition and just let it happen. Or else it does become a danger. If it kicks in strong you can avoid food for fear of having a full stomach to throw up. That's a big problem. Think I have tried most everything I know over the past few months and it has got no better or easier. Even wearing ' Sea Bands ' on both wrists. Not sure if people are aware of them. They are meant for travel sickness and pregnant women wear them too for all that morning sickness lark. Simple wrist bands. Nothing medical about them at all. But I have to cop on quickly as the weight is falling off of my body. Guess I just let it take over. I do eat. Breakfast time and maybe a small bit lunch and a small bit at dinner time too. But far from enough to maintain any sort of healthy weight. Think I am finding out that whether I eat or not the feelings are still there. Just a case of wanting the food in the stomach now. Think the stomach has also got used to a certain amount of food intake. What you feed it becomes the norm. Can leave you feeling bloated / stuffed. After that the fight with your mind begins. Just a case of sorting it out in my own mind. Whatever will be, will be.
I have to say that I never knew there was a name for IT! And you are not alone. I've had the fear of throwing up since I was a little girl. Still have it and, unfortunately, passed it on to my 8 year old daughter. Poor thing goes into Severe Panic when she thinks she's gonna throw up. She even panics when SOMEBODY ELSE throws up. Poor thing. I was like that too, but it has gotten a little better. I dont freak out when somebody else does it but if I feel like I'm going to, I fight it as long as i can.
I dont get people that do it VOLUNTARILY!! "Oh I was nausous so i just stuck my fingers down my throat. Now I feel better" and then they just go on with their lives like nothing. Weirdos!!
I too used to be afraid of throwing up, but several years ago my migraines came back with a vengence. Not just mind numbing throbbing head pain with an occassional queazy stomach. No, these were head in the toilet gut wrenching episodes that left you totally limp like a dishrag afterwards.  After a few of these episodes you lose your vomiting phobia. If you can survive one of these migraines you can survive any vomiting episode.
Im only 10 years old and im not afraid of anything the normal 10 year old girl is but yet im terrified of throwing up!! Id gone through a tonsle removele and i threw up every day for hours from the meds since then if had a mentle disorder and now have a disese (disease) called Acid reflex. A couple of years ago that was exsteremly rare in younger children now i know seval babys withit they cant have whole foods or they can get sick.Id rather die for a day than throw up!Have you ever shook wile cold well i shake soooooo much i cant stay still. I dont even care how much a flu shot hurts ill take it!! I hope to recove soon! I Know im not alone!!
I have had the phobia for as long as I can remember. It affects my daily life, it is definitely my biggest fear. I would rather break both of my legs than throw up. Recently it's gotten even worse and if I decide I feel sick I have a severe panic attack. Im only 20 years old, and it's so hard to talk to anyone about it. I keep gravol with me at all times. I am going for my first psych appointment next week and hopefully can get over this. Its ruining my life!!
The best of luck to you and I hope you manage to sort things out Laura.
i am 20  years old. I got married about 3 months ago, and moved out of my house and am living with relatives. I had a bad episode  where i thought i was sick all the time and this just happened one day. i just woke up and all i could think about was that i was feeling sick. At first it didnt really bother me too bad because i had been sick in the past and never got too anxious about it, well this was alot different, it didnt go away and i finally made an appointment with my docter and it was hard to explain my fear of vomiting because i did not know that it was common. so i told him i was uneasy about getting sick and i had anxity attacks that left me feeling sick. He put me on meds- paxil and xanax for bad attacks. I was scared to take the xanax at first because of all the horror stories that i read online. i finnally took it one day because it was so bad and i felt that if it helped then it would be ok to take, it did help, the paxil so far has really done nothing for me, its really hard to live with this fear because i worry every time that i go somewhere that im going to get sick. Alot of the time i get really bad bloating that turns into bad gas and im not sure if thats associated with anxity or not but it makes things worse because my stomach feels full then. i have a hard time eating alot because if am going to get sick i dont want it to be alot. It affects my marriage alot because my wife doesnt understand and likes to go out alot and i just feel more comfortable sitting at home. if anyone has any advise for me i would greatly appreciate it, thank you!!
WOW, i have this fear too...being a nurse i have a collection of meds "just in case".  I also have a medical condution that causes me to feel as though i need to puke.  its called gastroparesis.  I take reglan for this as needed.  I try to only take the meds when REALLY needed.  I am currently going through a rough stomach patch so it is hard.
I never knew there was a name for it.  I've had it since I was very young. I have been afraid of throwing up or being around any one who does.  I actually fainted in a dr's office one time when my little sister was throwing up. Now I have had a esophageal stricture stretched twice and I haven't thrown up since.  I am so afraid that if I throw up I will rupture my esophagus.  When I get nauseous I will do anything to keep from throwing up.  When my husband or son gets sick, I will go several days without hardly eating.
i have this phobia since the third grade.
havent thrown up since the second grade.
when i feel like i'm about to throw up i..
feel nauseous,
panick,
spit until my mouth is dry(its weird, but it kinda helps me),
dig my nail into my skin, and
bite my nails..
when i get that feeling and start to panick,
i chew minty gum or breathe in some minty scent, because it calms me down a bit and helps me breathe normally.
most of the time, all i need to do is just burp and i feel SOO MUCH better.
I saw that someone was on Paxil and I was on that for a while until one day I woke up went to bathroom and as I was walking back to my room I blacked out and fell in a coffee table I woke up in shock and called 911 they said it was normal because Paxil lowers or speeds up your heart rate so when you get up be extra careful to get up slowly. I have also had an intense fear of throwing up since i was younger. Since I was like 8 I can remember watching a movie or TV and if someone gets sick I get really sick to my stomach look away and go AAHhH my heart drops my hands start sweating but my body starts shivering I start swalling a lot thinking I'm going to as well. Now that I'm in college Its hard because everyone drinks and I use to drink with my friends and be fine I never threw up. Then one day I just woke up with a pit in my stomach like everyday i felt like I was going to get sick. I swallow a lot and to calm myself down I've been chewing gum alot because then you have a reason to swallow a lot. This has helped me. But i can't drink anymore because as soon as i smell it or taste it I have a panic attack. my boyfriend can't drink and hang out with me because then I'm nervous he's going to get sick or if I kiss him I can smell the alcohol and I have a panic attack. Its gotten to the point where I just turned 21 but I dont even go to the bars Ive been once because the fear that someone is going to throw up just petrifies me. I've been on Zoloft, Paxil and now Wellbutrin and it helps a little bit but theres still an intense fear that is not going away. I am also prescribe to Ativan/Lorazapam which I guess is kind of like Xanex which helps but I pretty much have to take one everynight. Its taking over my life. I avoid bars/parties/friends that drink/amusement parks. If I hear or see someone throwing up I freak out and have a panic attack. if i think I'm going to I have a panic attack. Even if I just know that someone is getting sick I have a panic attack! And the weirdest part is that the last time I got threw up was when I was probably 11 years old!!  I dont know what to do anymore!!
im beginning to think that there is no hope! im 25, ive had this fear my entire life.. i have anxiety pains in my stomach everyday because i think thsi may be the day i throw up. cant go the rest ofmy life without ever doing it. im almost sure ill will never have kids, fearing the morning sickness, i will never ride on a roller coaster which i dream about, i done eat fast food or restraunt food for fear of food poisoning, ive never drank alcohol in my life, fear of throwing it up..i so scared to take medications.. i use to hyperventalate (sp?) when someone would metion the word! i had acid reflux but got over it, i have IBS so whenever that acts up i think its thr0w up.. im afraid to go intot he bthroom when my stomach hurts because that is the place where people go to throw up. i will never be able to live along because i need someone there everynight i case it actually does happen. I DO chew lots of gun ppl with this phobia always seem to, and i eat nilla wafers or other crackers because people say bread and crackers soak up throw up in your stomach.... that  is the only thing i can do right now.. i hope there is someone who can relate whos life is so limited like mine.
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only person like this. I'm in tears over it. I've dealt with this for so long and finally told my husband a couple of years ago about it and why I don't do certain things...eat in restauants with no cars in the parking lot for fear of the food sitting around and then getting food poisoning, roller coasters, flying, drinking with my friends. I have 4 children and absolutely freak out when I find out anyone they've been in contact with has been throwing up. Today a friend called to tell me that her daughter was throwing up all night. I'm completely out of my mind because my entire family was there over the weekend. I can't handle when they get sick...I'll think I'll immediately get whatever it is they have. I chew gum non stop and freak when I don't have any in the house. I have no idea how to deal with this. It is ruining my life. At least once a day I think about throwing up. If I go somewhere, I make sure that if I'm not feeling well, I know where I can go if I need to get sick. Of course it never happens, but it's the fear. I am so terrified of throwing up and can't stand it anymore. When it actually happens to me, it's never as bad as I thought it was, but I think it's more of the lead up to it and the anxiety that comes with it. I need help. Does anyone have answers??? I can't live like this anymore. I want to be able to travel, have more than 1/2 glass of wine, maybe a roller coaster. I sleep in my living room with the tv on all night....just in case I don't feel well. I haven't slept in my bed with my husband in months and blame it on the fact that he snores. I don't think he understands how bad this is affecting me. He's a great guy and helps a little, but he has no clue HOW bad it is for me. He got sick from drinking one night and made me pull the car over so he could get sick (thank God he's got greta aim) and the whole time I turn up the radio and plug my ears so I can't hear it. Please someone help.
Wow! I truly never thought anyone else felt the same way I do. I have a severe phobia of "throwing up". I have had it since I was in 3rd grade, however since having kids it has gotten so much worse. I have dreaded my daughter going to school b/c I'm so worried she's going to get a stomach virus. I ALSO freak out if someone we've hung out w/gets a virus and instantly think me or my girls will get it. I think about it so much. I fear every night that they will wake up vomiting, so I put towels on their beds. It's so ridiculous and I KNOW it...but I can't help it. I make them wash their hands like crazy. My hands are so dry b/c I wash mine probably 100 times a day. This phobia controls my mind constantly. I hate it:(
I'm not sure if there is a cure for this. I am 20 years old and I have it. It used to be worse living at my parents house I don't know why. now I was kind of made to live alone, but will still call up my mom like twice a week cause I think I will throw up. I take so many hot baths because I'm scared and it's supposed to sooth your stomach. I'm also anorexic, so my stomach is not used to alot of food now after 8 years of starving it. Now I'm starting to eat more, but then I feel like I'll throw up. BUT I've found that I won't and that it's just gas and air in my stomach so burping helps. But still, it does take over my life. I'm always constantly worried. My boyfriend and I were having an intense conversation yesterday about this. He doesn't see a problem with throwing up. I'm so jealous of him, he says if he feels like he needs to, he will just do it. I get so paranoid sometimes that when he's in the bathroom for a long time, with the faucet running, I think he's throwing up and muffling the sound. I know he makes himself throw up, but only after he's been drinking alot or done too much cocaine. But the main point of the coversation was trying to find a way out of my trapped mind. He's a strong believer in hullucinagenic drugs like Mushrooms. He wants me to try them, even just a little bit because he thinks it might help me out of this cage that I've built for myself. I hate my cage, but at the same time, it's my home. But it might be a home that I've stayed in too long and I need to move. I desperatly need to move. I want to be able to go out and eat. I want to be able to actually go into the kitchen in my dorm and not be scared of entering and people seeing me carrying food. I want to not have panic attacks at random times when nothing is happening. AND I WANT MY SEX DRIVE BACK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. I used to think I'd throw up during sex. I will say that living alone for a little bit now has helped me get better a little, because I really need to take care of myself. but I'm also scared of not being afraid of throwing up. I imagine it's very liberating. but what if I like it so much that I start throwing up everything? I wish to god I wasn't scared anymore. It makes going in cars very difficult as well. I live off of dramamine. Anyway, I might just do mushrooms because I see no other way out. and maybe this is it.
I am so glad I found this thread.  It helps so much to know that I'm not alone.  I have had this fear since I was 6 years old (I'm 29 now) and it has taken over my life at times.  Over the years, I developed OCD trying anything possible to keep from throwing up, was agoraphobic and had to go home "sick" regularly from school because the fear itself would give me a stomach ache and it would start the vicious cycle of fear of throwing up.  I slept on the bathroom floor countless times as a kid because I thought I was going to throw up at night.  I can't even imagine how my mom felt waking me up for school when I was sleeping in the bathroom...

Has anyone found things that help with this?

I started taking fast acting anti-anxiety meds (valium) when I was getting really freaked out.  It has helped a ton.  I still keep myself from throwing up unless I am so sick it's out of my control.  Right now, a few of my friends called and told me about a stomach virus they have and it's all coming back, but in general I have gotten better day to day.  

Best wishes to everyone.  It's nice to know that I'm not alone.
I am 20 yrs old. I had this fear a few years ago. I couldn't go out to eat, shopping, anywhere really. The only exception was to play sports, I could do that but it was so hard becuase I constantly felt like a "frog in my throat." I somehow got over it without any medications or doctors. I kept reading WebMD boards and self help techniques. Well that was fine and dandy until recently when it came back 10 times worse than before. Now I have the hardest time going anywhere, and unfortunately I have thrown up twice in the past 3 months. I'm talking to a councilor, and am now on Xanex. Xanex really helps, but m most recent incident (which was today) I threw up even with it in my system. You would think that after throwing up and realizing I'm okay, that no one is laughing at me or anything that I would be okay, but I'm not..Its really nice to see that I have people that are just like me though.. I have been feeling so isolated lately. Good luck everyone :/
wow i didnt know so many other people out there had the same problem as me or close to it anyways. I am not afraid of me throwing up. i am afraid of other people throwing up. i am 13 so i went to this fair with my friends and only my best friend knows i had this issue and so my other friends we playing a prank on my other friend and they ate food and pretended to throw up but i saw it and i ran away i dont know why i just did i couldnt help it and next thing i new i was on the otherside of the carnival and i was shaking. That is when i relize i might not just be scared of it i think i have a phobia.
I have had this fear since I was 6 and I am 28 now.  I can't believe I never thought to "google" it until now and see how many people out there can understand what I go through daily.  I feel glad to know I'm not alone, and part of me feels like crying too....because I have never talked to anyone who completely understood where I was coming from.

My fear of throwing up began in kindergarten when I saw a classmate get sick.  My fear was really bad in the few years after that.  I had extreme anxiety about going to school in 1st grade since my teacher pretty much didn't know what to do with me (I always said that my stomach hurt....she would get mad rather than comfort me, which of course mad e it worse).  2nd grade was awesome b/c my teacher was a comfort to me.  3rd grade, my grandmother passed away...i changed schools....and my teacher was nasty to me, so all in all - that was a rough year and the worst of my anxiety to date.

After that year, the anxiety stuck with me but it wasn't as extreme.  Still definitely affected my life though.  I was able to function normally through school, etc.. and went to college...did all the partying.  I definitely drank my share of alcohol but didn't throw up once,w hich people find to be amazing.  I just wouldn't allow myself to drink THAT much since I was/am so scared of getting sick.  Again, like for so many of you, it is SUCH an irrational fear for me, I haven't thrown up since I was 8. (knock on wood!)

I have to say though.....I have noticed that when life gets stressful, my anxiety gets worse. Make sense of course.  I dated a guy who made my life very stressful and it actually made my anxiety worse...it extending into another part of my life....going out to eat.  One day I just couldn't eat my food in a restaurant when I was out w/ my parents.  I felt like I was going to gag, it was odd.  This continued sporadically for months until after I broke up with my ex and realized how much he was affecting me.  I put myself in counseling, which helped, but I still have my "off" days when I go out to eat.  My therapist just told me to keep doing it, even if it's hard, and it will get easier.   At this point though, I feel like I've plateaued.

Still, to this day, if I feel like I could be sick I will start to panic and when I panic I star tto shake uncontrollably.  Sometimes I can stop it quicker than others.  It is ALL MENTAL and I am strong-minded, so I make myself stop.  I chew mint gum, like some else mentioned on here, and just try to relax.  I also started to go outside when I feel sick, something about not being confined helps.  

This is such an interesting phobia to me.  I didn't realize so many people had it.  I definitely feel like it hinders me in some ways, but I am determined not to let it stop me from living my life.  I encourage you to seek counseling if you haven't already.....when I started going my therapist told me that 2 other people she was seeing had the same anxiety as me about throwing up in public.  You are not alone and there is help out there.

I hope & pray that we can all fiind freedom from our anxieties....

*Please also be wary of any doctor whose first suggestion is medication!  Always get a second opinion.

God bless!!!
Well Gigi, welcome to the club. As you can see many people have it. To me it should be treated as an eating disorder. At some point in our lives we stop eating for periods of time. Empty stomach = nothing to throw up.
I have a specific type of emetophobia. I'm not afraid of throwing up in general, just afraid of throwing up in public. Sometimes I feel as if I would feel considerably better if I did just throw up. But I can't, no matter how bad I'm feeling.

The fear started a few weeks after I had a stomach bug. When I had the bug, I was riding home from school on a Friday afternoon (I'm a high school student), and I threw up all over the bus. The thing is, it didn't affect me psychologically at all. I was better the next Monday, and I rode the bus to school.

A few weeks later, I was playing at our spring band concert, and I started feeling sick. About half-way through it, I had to run out because I felt like I was going to throw up. However, I never did. Ever since then, (It's been a day shy of 3 months now), I've had this constant fear of throwing up in public. Any time I go out, I have to bring a plastic bag with me. I'm afraid of driving and not being able to get out and throw up. Any time I leave the house, I'm scared out of my mind. It's even gotten bad enough to where it's affecting me when i'm at home.

School starts next week, and I'm in the marching band, so I'll have to play at football games, and that's worse, because I can't carry a plastic bag when I'm wearing my uniform. I'm scared to death of something I'm usually really excited about. It's completely taken over my life the past few months. I can't go over to friends houses, go out to eat, or anything.

If anybody has any tops or stress reliving tricks, or anything, please let me know.
I have had this fear ever since I can remember. I'm in College now and it is starting to really get worse. Last year after I had a little bit too much to drink, I threw up. It was the first time since I could even remember. But ever since then, I associate throwing up with alcohol! I can't have one glass of wine without thinking that I am going to get sick. When I start to think about it, I get really nervous and end up making my self feel sick.

I can usually handle myself feeling sick, but i live with three girls that love to party and don't care if they throw up. I HATE IT! I start to get anxious and I don't want to even be in the room for fear of them coming back and throwing up. It's not like I'm going to catch what they have, but I can't help but get scared. It's gotten so bad that I am considering moving out because I can't handle it!

WHAT SHOULD I DO???
Hey
Yeh Im 18 years old and have Emeptophobia. With me, I feel really silly with it..I think because I cant really imagine many guys my age having this?...
It's really good that I can relate to people in similar situation
Im always really carefull and sometimes it just gets to the the point where I cant enjoy a social situation. (E.g Dinner)But Im just trying to look at it as a part of nature and what happens happens and it honestly isnt as bad as you think. Fair enough this is easy to say but isnt always easy to have this as your mindset. especially when you're a bit anxious. There certain things that help calm me down or put my mind of thinking about the fear.
These are- listeing to melanchonic music (Iron and Wine- Upwards over the mountain) thinking of a fun past memory or doing something creative (like for me writing a song or lyrics to a song for my band)
breathing slowly and (prehaps corny) But believing in yourself that you ARE a STRONG person and everything will be fine..
Hope this helps.
Donald
I'm less than a month to my 20th birthday and I have been feeling this way since I was about 10. My parents had another kid, I did not like it at all because to me at the time, babies were dirty and spit up too much and **** themselves! It was gross, so I would always stay far away from my baby sister. When I was forced to babysit her, she used to cry for hours, and I would put her in her crib. And for attention she used to put her fingers down her throat and make herself throw up. Then after a while, she used to do it every single time I was near her. Then once when I was about 14 she got a 24 hour virus and threw up in my hair while I was taking a nap. It was horrible. Of course I caught the virus. Ever since, I have been thinking almost constantly that I am going to throw up. It stops me from sleeping. I'm scared I wont wake up in time to run to the bathroom if I needed to. So I am an insomniac now. I don't eat like I used to. I love food, but it makes me nervous looking at food. I wouldn't say that I was anorexic because I still eat. Everyday, at least 3 meals a day. Just not as much and not most dairy products because my stomach usually can't handle it or greasy foods. Yes I know some of these things are bad anyway, but I'm 20 years old. I should be able to eat a cheeseburger once in a while. It *****. Its starting to affect my relationship, I'm always complaining to my boyfriend that I'm anxious and we have to leave a party or a friends house. I can't even sit through a movie in a theater. I get anxious all the time now. And the only thing that calms me down is a pack of marb reds (which is ******* horrible) and driving (only in a stick shift car) around downtown listening to music and singing to it. Thats pretty much the only thing that has ever worked. Ive tried meditating, meds, yoga, healthier diet, drinking lots of water, seriously I've tried everything I could think of. Also, its stopping me from actually working. I get so nervous at work that I can't sit there and feel comfortable. Even when I'm getting paid as well as I am. But I can't even handle it because I always feel like I'm going to puke. I carry a bottle of Tums around with me at all times just in case I start feeling uneasy. ITS RIDICULOUS! I need it to stop ASAP I'm sick and tired of my body just being drained by this disease. I want to find a way to just filter it out of my head. I know its all mental. There has to be a way to mentally rid of it.
I had the intense vomitting fear when I was a kid and used to think I'd vomit at any time without warning. But that isn't the case, when you're going to throw up you KNOW it and it's not a nervous stomach or anxiety. I have gotten over it completely and actually haven't thrown up since I was 7---I am 32. If I had to, it would suck, but I'd deal. And you will too, it's ok. Good luck
I have been having the same troubles as just about everyone making comments above. I had anxiety when i was like 11 just having anxiety attacks and hyperventilating, but i seemed to get over it by myself and things when good for 5 years. when i recently started to get anxiety attacks and have grown a fear(or feeling) that i was going to throw up any second when i get them now instead of hyperventilating when i had a dirty high one time. Since then i got on klonopin which has helped a little but nothing really noticable. I still smoke everyday even though that i get dirty highs half or maybe more then half of the times i do just because i feel that having a clean one is worth it. I have been smoking for about 2 years and never had anything bad happen to me on top of drinking a little. Besides my short background summary even though reading all of the comments are good people having a hard little section of their life but each one gives me a feeling of assurance. Maybe because although i would not want anyone to feel the way i do happen to them it helps knowing and seeing responses of people having the same problem as i do. As i hate the feeling of thinking im going to throw up i wish i would get it over with :P I feel that i will get over it when it actually happens as long as im not doing somethig i love to do. I hope all of you can get through this terrible fear as for myself. I can relate to alot of what everyones saying like i used to chill with friends go out to parties and clubs and just dance with chicks and have a good time, and go out to eat at places with friends. Now that this has come into my life all i can do is sit in my house and go to school(which i always feel fine during school). i know that its just me thinking about it and its all in my head but its not somthing that you can just push out of your mind. In all its nice to hear from other people that have the same problem and i hope that comments keep commin in and that the thread doesnt die.
this forum is the first bit of relief I've been able to find for my self regarding this situation. I am 18 years old, a female, and the thought of vomiting petrifies me to no end. I can't really remember how long I've been this way, but I'd be willing to say it took hold of my life around the age of 11 or 12.  I was raised as a catholic, and when I was younger I used to get so panicky when I'd feel sick that I'd cry out to god to help me. I began to notice that coincidentally, when I "prayed" usually I'd end up feeling better. so, prayer (or, rather pleaded) with god to let me not get sick became a routine each and everyday. And this has continued for years. every night before I go to sleep I have to spend 5 to 10 minutes pleading the same montra over and over again, begging god or whomever else for me not to get sick at all that night, or the next day.

but my fear of throwing up has really taken hold of my life. I'm in college, and I live on my own, so that being, I eat maybe one meal a day because I fear having food in my stomach if I get sick. whenever I get even the slightest stomach ache, I lock myself i my dorm and suck on mints and bottled water until I feel better. Often I refuse to see my friends until after dinner time because that way I know I'm able to stomach all three meals for the day. I fear going out to eat because I fear I may get sick at the table. and being in college, I do drink, but I know to stop when I start feeling it i my stomach. I threw up once from drinking in high school, and that was it for my crazy partying. sometimes my anxiety over this wakes me up in the middle of the night. And I loose a lot of sleep because of it. I have even convinced myself that if I sleep in the wrong position, don't sleep with my tv on, or do my nightly plea to god, I will wake up and be sick.

unlike a lot of the other posts here, I have thrown up quite a bit in my life. I have always had a weak immune system, and I can remember times in elementary school where I'd catch the stomach flu and throw up 18 to 20 times in one night. The last time I got sick was this morning, I've had some sort of bug the last few days, and although I feel much better now, I'm in tears as I write this. I'm scared to death to sleep for fear I might wake up and be sick again. My anxiety about getting sick completely debilitates me. I shake uncontrollably, scratch at my skin and face til they bleed, and completely isolate myself from the world.

I have seen a therapist, had an endoscopy reformed, and nothing has come from either. my therapist refused to prescribe me meds and the endoscopy came back perfectly normal. but still, this irrational fear is taking over my life. I'm desperate for answers, for relief from this. I know there's no cure for a phobia, but if there's any sort of something that can help relieve this, I'd love to know.
Hello I am Mz. Robinson and I too I have a HUGE FEAR of Throwing up I rather DIE before I throw up and that's not good Therapy would help I am SURE I use to think I was da only one with it but seeing that I am not really helps and makes me feel a bit at ease i am praying and askin GOD to help me overcome thie horrible FEAR of throwin up.
I never knew there was a name for it either WOW they must have a name for EVERYTHING I hardly get tha panic attacks only when I feel sick or like I am gonna throw up which has not been in a long time till well the other night I HATE when it happens nothing happened but jus though feel of  it  TERRIFIES me =( oh GOD help us overcome this....... I HATE it. Takes a while for me to bounce back and to even wanna eat anything again I have been anerxic as a child before because of this.....
Hey Sweetheart I feel you pain that must be sooooooooooooooooooooo SCARY I do not have it that bad but I will keep you in my  prayers I know what that can be like GOD be with you mt dear I can only imagine I do sometimes would think what if I get sick so I would not eat much when out but let me assure you that GOD can give you such a PEACE and PEACE that passes all understanding he has done it for me before also what helped me as a child and still helps me to this day is reading Psalm 23 wheneva I get really scared I PRAY you overcome this huggggggs~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm 13 and I self-diagnosed myself with Emetophobia a year ago; that's only when I learned there was an actual term for it. But at age 10, I just knew I hated it, hated every single sickening sensation that it caused - and that was that.

So many friends have told me: "Bah, just stick your finger down your throat, puke, and then you'll feel better!" in the past. I punched every one of them in the throat just for suggesting I purposely puke.

The terror began when I was around 9, I think. My mom bought me Taco Bell (I despise this place), and right after, a strawberry smoothie (I despise this smoothie) from Jumba Juice. I guess it was a bad combo. Around 9 PM I began noticing my stomach churning. It would stop and turn into pain. I thought: "A stomach ache; probably just air." It got worse and I had to curl into a tight ball on the sofa - the pain was goddamn incredible. My brother would prod my rib, but I'd just weakly bat him away.

Finally, I told my mom. And she laughed and said, "You're probably just bloated with air. Don't worry. Let me get the Pepto Besmol." So I drank a spoon-ful and as I lay on my bed, I began noticing my flatulence. The stomach pain went away and I told my mom thank-you. I fell asleep with a comforting mindset that I was going to be all right.

I woke up around 3 AM to searing stomach pain. I hugged my knees against my chest and shut my eyes. For an hour, the pain was unmerciful. I prayed it would ago away. I even asked Jesus. Then it happened. Immediate relief. I sat up and smiled. It was gone! The pain was gone! Jesus helped me! This "relief" only lasted 2 seconds and then I had a sickening urge in the pit of my stomach that "lurched" me forward to my feet. In a sense, I knew what was going to happen. But in another, I didn't quite understand. I felt extremely ill and I rushed to the bathroom. It turned into a living Hell.

I missed the toilet and went for the nearest thing - the sink. I gagged, and puked, and choked on the bile. Turned the faucet and drank the water. I puked more - large contents of partially digested meat that was a horrid brown-yellow colouring. I vomitted nearly 18 times until nothing came up - I was dry-heaving air at this point. My parents were behind me the whole time. They cleaned the whole mess too - the clogged sink. When I finally thought it was over, they took me to the living room, gave me 7-UP and let me sleep on the sofa watching a National Geographic program on polar bears.

Just as I was falling asleep, it hit me again. I practically ran to the kitchen to guzzle the 7-UP liter bottle, but it was too late, as I was running back to the living room, I puked again. Once. And it was over. My parents cleaned up that mess too. The next morning, I felt normal. But the memory lived clear from then on.

I've noticed that I have begun to hate anything that is an "onset" to the vomitting. Anything that was there before/after I puked. It's hard to explain. I hate Taco Bell. I hate Jumba Juice. I hate Pepto Besmol. I hate anything that is an equivalent to Pepto Besmol. I hate the program I was watching about polar bears. I hate polar bears. And I fear, if, I do any of those things again, I will puke just like I puked during that awful night. I can't even go to a party. If someone vomits, I have to ask the reason why so I can avoid that triggering thing at all costs. I do not want the same to befall me.

Goes to show how precautious/crazy I have become. It's literally taken control of me.

I sympathize with everyone who has this phobia. It's horrible, isn't it? Maybe, one day, we'll all be able to get through it. As of now, like a lot of people have said, it's a part of life.
WOW I can  sooooo RRLATE to you not wanting to associate yourself with anything that on sets the events to u being sick I have been like that use to be but not as bad as before but if and when I have a panic attack I don't wanna do anything I was doin before that pani attack strange..... thought I was the ONLY one but I have faith that GOD will see us through this we jus must have FAITH.... it's hard..... is with us and he will see us through we must not loose FAITH in that HUGGGGS...
Where is everyone?
I read over all of these comments but There is no answer to the problem. I am scared to death of throwing up. If anybody around me gets a virus, I have anxiety for at least a week thinking that I am next. That is my biggest phobia in the world. My 4 year old son was sick a while back and I was scared to even cuddle him. This upsets me so much but I have no idea what to do about it. I am almost 27 and I have only been sick 4 or 5 times that I can remember. Last year in November, I came down with the stomach flu after my mother and son had it. It was so bad i thought I was dying. I ended up in a hospital and had all kinds of tests and even a ct scan. Just to find out that i am totally healthy. Is there any help out there for a problem like this?
My name is Tracy, and I am honestly living with this as we speak. Saturday my sister had the stomach virus, and I went INSANE! I was so scared out of my mind. When someone throw up near me (Even if were in the same house), or if I throw up I will have a MAJOR anxiety attack. My body starts to shake and it feel like a big brick is coming up my throat. I believe I get scared because of the noise, and the feeling of throwing up. I have been living with this as long as I can remember and i'm only 16. Throwing up is my WORST fear on earth, and I just dont know what to do. I havent thrown up since I was in the 3rd grade so thats  7 years, and i'm soooooooooo thankful. I just pray that I NEVER EVER throw up again, and if I do I dont hear, see, or feel ANYTHING!
Im a 22 year old girl who's studying psychology as a result of my phobia and has suffered from emetophobia and GA from a very young age (not diagnosed until two years ago!). I too have not vomited much in my life, only twice from which i have any recollection, by my fear has at times spiralled out of control and taken over my life. All i can say is - see your GP, get them to refer you to a Psychologist, If it doesnt work for you, try and find another therapist you are more compatible with. I have been seeing a therapist for 6 months and my life has changed. I still get anxious and freak out sometimes, but i know how to stop it through a few simple cognitive behavioural techniques, and i know how to put everything back into perspective. Do you want to be 50 and look back on your life and remember fear over a quick puke every day? Or even pass it onto your own kids? People have a week of horrible vomiting, then years of joy. We have no vomiting, but years of pain and worry over no vomiting. What would you prefer? I know id rather puke for a couple of hours and be TOTALLY, COMPLETELY happy and carefree, than NEVER puke but worry about puking ALL the time. You know, if im in public and i were to vomit, id pick myself up, take myself home and get cleaned up and ultimately would be a stronger person for having dealt with this scary scenario. Every cloud has a silver lining people! I find that if i remind myself of this stuff, and think about what's important to me in life, then when i feel sick i can come to terms and make peace with the idea that i might briefly be sick - once your realise youre being sick, its practically over anyway! A therapist can give you loads of behavioural methods to cut the worry short - sure, itll prob still happen from time to time, but you can stop yourself worrying about something you ultimately will never, ever change and have zero control over. When youre about to die, your last moments, vomiting will be the last thing on your mind, trust me! My main point anyway is that there is hope for you all, and it is nothing to be ashamed of - emetophobia is very, very common and people are so much more understanding than you may think.  If youre a young person and you are reading this, confide in your parents, or ask to go to the doctor or a school counsellor and let them know, the sooner you start learning trick to help you out and ways to think differently, the sooner youll have a happier, more stress free life! Phew, what a long comment! i wish all of you all the happiness in the world.
Chloe :)
Wow, I am with everyone on this board. I have strong emetophobia-glad theres finally a name for it! I have a severe phobia of throwing up-to the point that I start shivering like crazy, my heart rate speeds up and sometimes i even scratch myself to prevent it. It came from when I was  4 years old (Im not 24) and threw up on the bus on the way to school and in school itself. The strange part was, i dont remember being upset, crying and even wanted to stay in school! When my mother picked me up, a few hours later I was running around with my brother. The strange thing is, the phobia has only gotten much worse and worse recently, and I have been through hypnosis, which I think had the adverse affect. The nature of my fear is that I NEED to have my parents with me when it will happen-it happened 6 years ago and i slept on the floor of their room and had to hold my moms hand lol-prob because when I was a kid i didnt have that. If Im away and I feel like its going to happen, Id call a parent shaking and crying. Id have panic attacks when I am not able to call, like on a plane, and imagine its gonna happen. Its also getting harder to go anywhere, since I need to be in my own bathroom and bed. I also get terrified when I see other people doing it, and even if i see it somewhere outside. Unfortunately its getting worse, so Im really working on getting help. My bro had thrown up last night about 5 times so im really scared to catch it right now. I dont mind being nauseos at all actually, its the thought of what may happen after that is too terrifying to contemplate. I guess I really have to work on this...
My 11yr old son started having severe panic attacks and an immense fear of vomiting for about 4 months now.  It has completely taken over his life.  Getting him to school in the morning is practically impossible because he is petrified of throwing up!  He knows that it is unlikely and very irrational but nevertheless he cannot get the thoughts out of his mind.  I have found alot of information on the web about Emetophobia and I am certian that this is his diagnosis.  We started seeing a hypnotherapist as of last week which will hopefully help.  It appears that in order to manage this fear, you need to reprogram your thoughts, you need to tell these thoughts to leave, and you need to tell yourself affirmations constantly.  It is truly a fight against yourself.  Has anyone tried the "Eraser Program" available on line?   I am thinking of ordering it and work through it with my son.  I have phobias myself, closterphobia primarily, but nothing seems to be as debilitating as this one.   Good luck to you all and remember that you are not alone!
I am terrified of throwing up. I am 17 years old/f and I literally do not want to have kids or get married in the future because I don't want to see my kids or my spouse throwing up. Last time I threw up was at my aunt's house and my mom was at the other side of the country. I was so scared and the worst part was that it was in the middle of the night. I was in the bathroom for HOURS trying to get over my nausea but it never went away. So I just told myself "just get it over with" so i started gagging and everything just came out. It was sooo disgusting and ever since then my phobia because worst. I will literally do anything to avoid throwing up. Even the gagging makes my feel like I'm next. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with this phobia, my friend has it too. I hope I get over this phobia!!!!
I am a 19 year old college student.

I have had this fear forever, never not had it basically. I fear throwing up, others throwing up, hearing the toilet flush when someone throws up, I freak out when someone wakes up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom because I fear they will throw up.

I can't go to parties, clubs, or theme parks for fear of finding/seeing/hearing someone throw up.

When someone does throw up around me I start to shake uncontrollably, I have to plug my ears and nose for fear of smelling or hearing it, feel nauseous, get scared to be in the dark, can't sleep, get claustrophobic, and worst of all I get angry, like an out of control rage (and yes, I do realize that people cannot help getting sick). I cannot stay in the same vehicle, house, hotel or dormitory as someone who is sick or I will panic until it is daylight and I can leave. Not to mention I have nightmares about the people I have seen vomit, I have to watch TV or listen to music so that my mind doesn't wander into those types of thoughts.

I also fear that I will make a bad mother because of this, and I try so hard not to be afraid of it because I want to help people (especially my kids) feel better, but my fear of it is so bad that its virtually impossible. Even talking about it makes me cringe.

Somebody please tell me what to do!! This is ridiculous! and everyone thinks I'm joking and that its so funny, and they tell me "you'll get over it". NO, I don't see that anywhere in sight..
I can relate to almost everyone commenting here! I'm 24 years old and I think my phobia began when I was in 1st grade. I remember seeing a classmate get sick and I was the one who had to go home because I was crying so bad. Ever since then I have hated the thought of throwing up and seeing/hearing someone else throw up. I remember getting sick from food posioning in grade 3 or 4 and after that I was TERRIFIED. It got to the point where I couldn't even go anywhere because I would have anxiety attacks about getting sick. I would often lay in my bed curled up in a ball, sick to my stomach, just waiting to throw up. I could sometimes talk myself out of it and calm myself down but it wouldn't last for long. I ended up going to the doctors and having some tests done but everything came back fine. Strangely, my anxiety went away for a number of years all during high school  and up until just recently. Before this year I had not thrown up since I was 9. I just thought my body had become immune to it. Even through my pregnancy last year I never threw up once, but did come close but only dry heaved. THAT scared the living crap out of me...  My son got sick with an awful virus earlier this year but I thought he was just sick with a cold. He threw up a few times but it was only formula and babies spit up all the time so I didn't take much notice. The next day I started to feel sick to my stomach, by the second day I actually threw up. I couldn't believe it. It was the worst sickness I had ever had and before that I had never had a stomach bug. My boyfriend got sick next and he had it worse than me. As soon as he started feeling sick I left him at home and went out to my mom's so I didn't have to hear or see him being sick. I was petrified! I just got sick again last week but it was because of a multivitamin I took. When I'm throwing up it's not so bad and after I feel almost relieved but leading up to it drives my crazy. I'm always wondering if it's all in my head or if i'm really sick. I've noticed in the past few weeks my anxiety has come back. My stomach is almost constantly hurting or queasy but I never tell anyone because I don't want to draw attention to it, I know that would make it worse. So I just suffer in silence. I find if I burp I feel better, or if I do something to take my mind off what I'm feeling it goes away. I always rationalize in my head that it's all in my head and I'm fine. It's just so annoying to feel this way though. Before reading all of these posts I never knew what I was feeling was anxiety. If it keeps on, I might have to make an appointment with my doctor to see if they can help me with it!
I'm 22 years old and I have been suffering with this phobia for as long as I can remember. I remember having this phobia when I was around 4 years old. I heard my mom getting sick one night in the bathroom and instantly felt sick. I got up to go tell my parents I felt sick. Halfway to their room, I lost my dinner all over the hallway floor. When I was in middle school, during my first period class, I remember ALWAYS having to go to the school nurse because I would have diarrhea (EVERY morning) and feel nauseous constantly. I think the nurse thought I was just wanting to get out of class. I had NO clue what anxiety even was at that time. Of course, if the nurse didn't see you throw up and you didn't have a fever, you were fine and sent right back to class. In high school, my anxiety shortly faded. I could work part-time, hang out with friends, do completely okay in school, and participate in extracurricular activites (tennis, softball, theatre, etc). Rarely did I get anxious about throwing up. The only time it really affected me was if I started to feel sick. I would instantly be terrified that I would throw up where ever I was. I have never been able to ride rollar coasters. After graduation, I got a full-time job as a nursing assistant and moved out with my best friend into an apartment. I was constantly going to my parent's house in the middle of the night because I felt sick... I couldn't stay where I was not comfortable and the only place I felt comfortable was at my parent's house. I have always DREADED catching the stomach flu, although, I've only actually had this bug once that I can remember. If someone around me (friends, my husband, my parents, co-workers) gets it, I freak out. I can't handle it. I automatically think I too will get it. I got married when I was 18. My husband was mentally and emotionally abusive. It brought on a lot of anxiety and my fear of puking came back...ten times worse than it had ever been. EVERY night, I locked myself in our bedroom, trashcan between my knees, cold rags on my head and neck, water bottle and pepto beside me. I still did not know what I had was anxiety. I'm sure the stress from him didn't help with it either. I eventually seperated and a couple months later, the nurse practitioner at my work said she thought my issue was anxiety. A lightbulb went off in my head. She prescribed me Paxil and within a week, I was a new person. I thanked her COUNTLESS times over for changing my life. I did well for a couple years. I remarried and have an amazing husband now. I don't think he completely understands my issues, though. To him, he doesn't see the problem of throwing up where ever he is, in front of whomever. I, on the other hand, cannot accept this. I want to be completely alone, locked in my room with all of my comforts. Recently, my anxiety meds have stopped working their magic and I am back at square one again. I'm constantly freaking out when I feel the least bit nauseous. I work with four-year-olds and about two weeks ago, I had to take one of them to the school nurse, as soon as I opened the office door, she puked all over the floor. I felt sick the rest of the day and worried that she had the stomach flu and I was going to catch it. I sprayed Lysol ALL over EVERYTHING in the classroom. I'm OCD with germs, especially when it's the stomach bug. A few nights ago, we went to our friends' house and the husband had been sick throwing up and diarrhea the day before. I was instantly upset that I wasn't warned before my husband and I came over. Well, last night my husband got sick about 6 times (so now I know he caught the bug from our friend). I called my girlfriend and she apparently caught the bug from her husband and was up all night thowing up as well. I am soooo nervous that I'm going to catch this stomach bug. Especially since I've kissed my husband and shared drinks with him. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I also dread morning sickness with pregnancy. We would LOVE to have a baby, but have been unable to achieve pregnancy yet. I dread having morning sickness. It's inevitable, I know, but the fear is still there. I can't imagine the throwing up for 3 or more months. I hate this anxiety with a passion. I don't know what to do anymore. I need professional help. I hope that someday, I will be able to move past this.
I'm 15 years old right now and I defiantly have this phobia. I haven't threw up since I was like eight and I don't remember it being bad at all but for some reason I still have a panic attack before i feel like I'm going to throw up. I understand it won't hurt me and that it's normal but for some reason I still can't get over it. I actually have a stomach virus today and I've been so nervous all day:[
i started having anxiety when i was little it was about little things like the elevator or being alone but around 8 or 9 it became about throwing up. We went on a family trip that year and since it was out of the country i didnt eat anything because of all the food borne illnesses you can get. I lost seven pounds in a week because i was to nervous to eat. finally when i got back my doctor put me on some medicine temporarily so that i could gain back the weight but they took me off it, no one wants a nine year old on drugs. Plus it is normally hereditary so my parent wanted me to get help. Its difficult to talk about unless im nervous so the concelors never helped and just made me mad that i had to leave school or a friends house to go to my appointment. After and few years i got the really bad stomach flu puked 18 in 24 hours! i was pretty much over it by then but i still had to go to the therepist but because i was over my fear i didnt have anything to imagine to make me nervous while i was there so i could learn to control it. So eventuallly i stopped going and it hasnt been bad. I still get random attacks where i start to shake and get nervous cuz my stomach hurts then it hurts more and more and its hard to stop them. i feel nervous with the littlest stomach cramp or even if someone jokes about puking or its on tv i get nervous! Its bad im now 14 and i thought i was the only one with this but im glad to no im not alone! what helps a lot is videos with calming rhythmic voices and a stress eraser its an electronic that you put ur finger in and it moneters your breathing in waves for the better deeper breaths you get more point this is a lifesaver for me, it is a little larger then a cell phone and it brings me down from anything! I also have to plug my ears eyes and nose it is getting better though but i dont think it will ever go away. I have a little brother and you know how little kids are always germy so whenever he wakes up in the middle of the night and ever turns over i freeze and my heart starts to race, this is all just because im afraid he will wake up and puke. Also after a panic attack my mom wants to talk about it and help me understand my fear better but i don't i get embarrassed it happened and change the subject.
Gigi, my story is the same as yours.  Started in 4th grade when I saw a classmate get sick.  Prior to that, I had no issues.  Off and on in grade school/middle school, no problems in highschool.  It is amazing that many of the stories are similar to my own.  I am 41 now.  My fear got worse working in the enviroment I do.  Working in a jail made it extremely difficult to go quickly from one area to another.  I too, feel comfort by "walking outside" if I feel sick.  I also have no desire to get sick in a toliet.  One day, 2 years ago, I felt sick allll day (I had the virus but refused to get sick), I sat in my car, driving around, or sitting in a park.  How ridiculous is that?  I started taking paxil, and even though that helped my anxiety, I still fear actually getting sick.  Everyone tells there stories, but this is what has helped me, or lessened my fears...I obtain a prescription for with zofran or phenergan, and I carry a few pills with me at alllll times.  These medications can suppress getting sick, and sometimes even having them in my pocket helps.  Prior to getting the prescription, I would carry dramamine, which also helps. That is OTC.  Having the medications has made it easier for me to go more places, or made me less fearful.  I envy people who have no problems with "getting sick".  I also question someone when they feel sick.  Asking when did it start, how many times did you puke?  The winter months are the worst since that is when most viruses peak.  Great forum.  keep it up with the posts.  Reading them actually calms me and I realize I am not alone :)
I have a fear of throwing up in public and i'm a guy. it started in 6th grade when i puked infront of my class...

I'm now 18, out of highschool and i still have it, it goes through bad times and good times, i'm a cashier at a grocery store and being stuck at a checkstand with no way out really sets off my anxiety of puking infront of people! i can't go out to eat, i hate meeting new people, it's just getting rediculous im starting to isolate myself.

i was on medication, xanax, but i got addicted and attempted suicide. i have no other option for a cure now than pure willpower and man it's tough. i'm happy to see im not the only one with this problem.
oh thank you everyone who has posted - i have had severe emetophobia all my life (I'm 50 now) and it has seriously limited my life.   in short most everything I feel has been said here.   I have gone to enormous lengths to try to avoid sickness - my own and other peoples and had to make so many excuses to avoid risky situations rather than say what the real reason is because i am so ashamed of it.  why is it never talked about????

just reading your posts makes me feel anxious - just the word makes me uneasy but i know that the more you avoid the worse it gets yet there is absolutely no way i am going to make myself sick in order to face it.   i have had hypnosis, therapy, CBT, anti-anxiety meds etc. and nothing works......in my teens i was put through flooding techniques and the therapist obviously had no idea how severe this fear can be.....she put on a tape of someone vomiting and at the first sound I totally freaked out with a full blown panic attack and she actually left the room in a hurry as she didnt know what to do...........that really didnt help

i've been anorexic and attempted suicide in my early 20's because i just could not see what the point of living was - but ......i failed because i did not take enough of the cocktail of drugs and alcohol to kill myself because i was so afraid i would puke before it worked!!!!

these days it is on my mind always but not always at the forefront so there is some improvement with age I guess.....
best wishes to you all
I have emetophobia and I've had it for as long as I can remember. I always do whatever I can to avoid throwing up or getting a virus. Usually when I get sick, it's horrible. I always have a panic attack if I think I am going to be sick. I have server anxiety and when I get a panic attack I think I am going to throw up. I think my anxiety is a big part of it. I didn't know I had anxiety when I was younger though, I didn't know what it was. I use to throw up a lot when I was younger and I think that is when I started having the fear of throwing up. I only get sick maybe once a year now if I can help it. Throwing up is one of my biggest fears. I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I didn't know there was a name for this till today. If I see or hear someone throwing up then I start to panic and think I will throw up and I always have panic attacks. I stay far away from anyone who is sick and throwing up. I can't be around them. I am even scared for other people to throw up. It just really freaks me out. I hated riding the school bus because if I saw or heard someone throw up then I knew that I would and then I would be so embarrassed and never want to ride the bus again. I hated going to school because I was scared I would throw up in front of people. Last year for my birthday I was drinking and I was so scared I was going to throw up and I did but I don't remember it well. It wasn't as bad as I thought, it made me feel better but that doesn't change how I feel about throwing up at all. I can never drink alcohol without thinking I will throw up cause I always feel sick when I do so I think I'm done with drinking. I absolutely love riding roller coasters, so much that I will risk throwing up to ride them :) but I will not eat the night before and the day I am going to the theme park because I don't want to get sick and I especially don't want to get sick in front of everyone. I freak out when I see other people get sick. It really scares me so bad. I have a lot of stomach problems and every time my stomach hurts, I automatically think I am going to get sick and then I get a panic attack which doesn't help the situation at all. I don't think I will ever get over this phobia. I just learn to live with it but I'm glad other people understand and I'm not the only one.
i have the damn phobia also,  i  HATE it , seems like i  find myself sucking down emetral all the time. I have 2 little girls and whenever they get sick i turn into a basket-case. Although i can help them when they are sick. (hold there hair back, clean up mess, ect..) I freak out the hold time they have there sickness. I can't eat, fell sick myself,  worry im going to get it. You should get a-load of the way i act.
     Anyway i never really had the need to tell anyone about my struggles because  i never really had to deal with it. If someone was sick, i just took off and told them hope you feel better. But with my kids  i have to face it and i am not doing a very good job at it AT ALL!!!
     So i had to talk about it. I chose my father. I told him the hold story, although he didn't understand my fear and how it could be so crippling , he gave me the best advice he could give at the time. (which kinda sorta helps but far from a cure yet)
       He told me that since it is a phobia and phobia is fear. The only way to concur fear is to face it. ALOT!!!
        This means Eat  when people are sick, taking care of the sick,  keeping yourself calm when feeling sick and just act as normal as possible around the sick. All of which i have incredible trouble with.
      Somewhere along the line you just have  to ask yourself. is throwing up going to kill me? Highly unlikely then why is the fear so bad ?  and what exactly am i fearing? These are all questions i ask myself and as much as i love my kids im so scared of there germs.
        Lots of luck to anyone with the same problem  hope you all can find your sword and shield.   Fight this fear and  beat it    
    Verys best of luck to all
I am 18 and I currently feel nauseas ... but hungry? Or maybe so hungry I'm nausea? i don't know but every night I fear of getting sick; and it really is ruining my life; I don't know when it started; but I know for a fact it's all in my head; and it's near impossible for me to get it out of my head. I don't sleep at night; i stay up until the boyfriend goes to work; then I sleep; I love to walk around or something outside to get my mind off of it but then when I go back inside it hits me like a brick wall. :( i think I might just stay up and watch tv for the rest of the night. please email me if you have any way to help me out: kat.***@****
ummm wow can i relate..... but i feel like after reading this on one hand i feel horrible and scared, but on the other it opens my eyes. im 15 and started feeling like this when i was 9. I just can't seem to figure out where it came from though. I feel nauseous about 3-4 times a day and i shake and make myself burp and carry around ginger pills and do almost everything i can to avoid it and since i got the fear i am thankful to not have puked once..... I just hope that one day I can actually understand how ridiculous it is to let this fear take over my life. I would understand if i was puking a couple of times a month, but i never do. I make myself feel like total crap all the time and i shake and turn and burp and sweat and it all leads up to some distraction that helps me. Maybe the key is not meds or even getting over the phobia its a distraction and a good one.... sometimes singing along to my ipod, reading a book or watching t.v. helps but the best is to gossip with a friend or to talk to someone about an unrelated subject. I know that when im nauseous and people tell me to calm down and forget about it i think it's impossible, but i decided to start making myself do that lately and it has really helped ALOT ......

anyways glad to hear all the stories.... thanks everyonee! be brave, many people have WAYYYYY BIGGER problemms :)

Im only 11 and I have the SAME THING ! I am TERRIFIED to throw up!! Its not even that bad , either! I am becoming basically an agrephobic (sorry, dont know if I spelled that right ) and I have missed about 1 in a half to 2 months of school . I HATE throwing up, and my stomach is Always hurting . I dont know why im so scared to puke :( but its ruining my life ! I noticed you guys are saying that your scared that you are going to die if you puke. I actually WANT to die, my stomach hurts so badly all ofthe time .  I honestly would rather die then throw up ! I need lots of help ! :(  
Wow I didn't realize there were so many people with this issue. I used to have this phobia, especially around 2nd and 3rd grade. I would just randomly feel sick and I'd get really scared and start shaking, especially before tests because it would be really super quiet. Since around 6th grade, I've been telling myself that I'm just freaking myself out because I'd know if I was going to be sick. And that's what I do. I used to have panic attacks if someone even mentioned throwing up. I would have panic attacks if I saw it on TV. I'm a sophomore in high school now, and I consider myself cured (although it still freaks me out a tiny bit). I will sometimes have random bouts where I feel like I'm going to be sick, but I just need to give myself something to think about other than my stomach, which sometimes involves pinching my arm (it works). I can talk about it freely and watch it on TV and even watch it in real life. It's gotten to the point where I am committing myself to an EMT school to train to be a paramedic. So just tell yourself that it's a psychological thing, and give yourself something else to think about, and this will help people cope:) Also, like so many others have said, resign yourself to the fact that it's a natural bodily function and that you aren't going to die because of it. Sure, it smells and it feels super gross, but in the end you'll be fine! :) I worked on curing my phobia all by myself, and as long as you keep at it and just remind yourself that it's not the end of the world, everything will be fine:)
Omg I have been dealing with the exact same thing for years.  I am not afraid that when I puke it means I have cancer or anything like that. I am afraid that I am going to puke in a mall or in front of people, and the most recent development is I am scared to take the bus to school because I am scared that I am going to feel like I am goin to vomit and not be able to hide anywhere.  I am petrified of puking on the bus, which makes me nausuous because that's the main symptom of my anxiety, so then I get more scared ->more sick -> more scared etc.  Can I recommend carrying gingerale in your bag and also a plastic baggie so if u do throw up it doesn't go everywhere?
You dont know how relieved I am to see this. I have been suffering with this for 4 years now. I've always been really skinny but i was healthy! and one day i caught a bacteria that i didnt know i had. i had it for 2 years which caused me severe weight loss and throwing up at least 2 times a day. My Doctor thought i was purposely throwing up and had no idea i had a bacteria. When I hit 80 pounds and at 5'6" thats not a pretty sight they finally sent me to a professional docctor who diagnosed it. I got better but the anxeity of throwing up came with me. I cant go anywhere. I always feel sick and Im afraid to eat..go in cars...go out...travel. I went to my college orientation and I had like 30000 panic attacks i begged my parents to come home. But I realized the only way to get better is facing it. Seriously. After i realized ic ouldnt come home i had to face it. I felt fine for the rest of the trip. Its so hard i know but we need to face this stuff. because its ruining our lives. I had a dream of being a korean singer...and i worked so hard.studying the language...studying lyrics..singing..dancing....and now i cant even go to korea because my parents refuse to let me until im at least 100 pounds. I hate my life now because what it is is just FEAR. throwing up...rather FEAR of throwing up is taking over our lives and ruining us. We could all grow up and or continue to be successful people. We need to figure out how to get rid of this anxiety because I am sick of being a burden to people and sick of ruining my dreams.
I've always had this phobia and it is finally making sense to me. I always felt alone, and nobody understood why I couldn't do things like eat out or go on coasters and things like that. I couldn't go in the car or sometimes leave my house either. It was so terrifying. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still keeps me from doing things like coasters and presentations.
Hmm.
Have the same fear here but i dont know how to expain.when i am around the town i havent got any problems or something like that .when i go on a trip far away or on a camp,it just comes to my mind and tells me "you are going to puke.what you must do next?where i will puke?if i puke on the bus ?if i puke at night?if i puke in front of everyone ?how will they react?What if i have not a bag or smt ?where i will puke then?". This comes to my mind usually at nights.but i dont do that.it just comes ..i wont sleep all night..fear of puking ..i am 15 years old. What should i do ? i dont want to ruin my next vecations ..cause i want to go somewhere with my friends without parents and maybe i am afraid that if i puke i will be alone and now how to do i get home ?
tell me ..
I have been like this since I was 11 years old, I am 21 now. The fear of throwing up as crippled me through most of my life. I to have only thrown up about 3 times in my entire life. I still fear is more then death. Almost two years ago my wife got sick, and I was so scared, well I got sick to and that was the first time i had thrown up in 9 years. Well it really was not that bad during the process, and I thought i was finally over the phobia. I was wrong, it was about two weeks after that I was scared right again. I really thought i could live with this, but now it is so bad I can hardly get one hour of sleep at night. I constenly feel like im going to be sick. Im always thinking about throwing up. I get hot flashes and start having a panic attack. Look I know throwing up is good for you, but I still can't get over it. Its a comfort to know there are people out there like me, but I actually wish there wasn't, because they way i use to get over it was tell myself this is stupid and that noone else feels this way. Well I hope one day we can all get over it. God bless.
me too!
I have this phobia also, its gotten bad. i cant be in a secluded area because im scared there is no way out if i get sick. i constantly worry about "if i got sick, where would i go" im a senior in highschool and i cant even sit through the period after lunch because im so scared im going to get sick in front of everyone. My mouth gets dry and i start to kind of almost hiccup. i dont know if thats anxiety or if that means im about to throw up. ive havnt thrown up since elementary school so i dont remember how it feels. this phobia has ruined by life. i cant have fun with my friends anymore and i hate being in the car cause i worry ill get car sick and throwup on them. does anyone else feel this way?
I am only 9 years old and i have emetophobia. Its taking over my whole life.I am not as bad as u other guys on here though. Obviously, because of my age, I dont take medication. But i do take TUMS. I have learned different ways to cope but only two work. the first one is like; while im at school i need something to look forward to.So my mom plans something for us to do together when she comes home from work at the end of the day.The second one is just really focus on what im doing. I take a stuffed animal to school everyday,too. i can go places and go out to eat without feeling nervous, though.But if someone could PLEASE tell me what to do in the morning, i would be SO thankful.Oh, and just cuz i wanna tell someone this, my step- grandpa gave me 300 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally agree.. this fear rules my life, its horrible.  Has anyone found a way to cure? if so PLEASE let me know.. I can't do anything in a day with out fearing it happening around me or to myself... I take it to extremes uncontrollably.  I order a hamburger med-well and it comes out juicy and red and I freak because if i eat it i might get food poisoning...and i just turned 21 and I'm a college student.  I don't party because i cant drink because i fear throwing up! ugh... someone please pleasehttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/new/4842# help me..
Does anyone know of anything that works.?  My friends daughter has this and I don't know what advise to give her. Read all the stories. My heart goes out to you all. What works for you?
Obviously WE are not alone.  By age 38 I've only thrown up 4 times in my life (ages: 4,9,20,36)   and survived two pregnancies without ever getting sick. During pregnancy I did feel nausious, but it was safe to take motion sickness pills, wear sea bands and eat ginger......  If I see or even hear about someone getting sick I instantly feel sick, nausious, sweat and all of my muscles tense up and quiver (shakes)....  It's awful..  Now that I have two babies, I'm getting much better at being around it, fortunately they rarely get sick.  My daughter had a stomach flu a couple of weeks ago, I just ran her to the bathroom and stood down the hallway telling her it would be okay, it's okay baby....... she is 3.....  By the end of the virus I was able to hold a bucket for her, close my eyes, and tell her everything was going to be okay..  It's so hard.   I'm glad there is support for those who need it out there :)
Try smoking a little bit of weed, it really helps with nasuea. Also, I like to sit outside when I'm feeling anxious and just try to focus on my breathing. You might be surprised how well these techniques combined can work
I read your fear on throwing up, how your daughter got sick and you were sure you were next, to the point you didnt eat... That sounds exactly like me to a t!!! How do you cope or deal with the fear? I feel mine is taking over my life. Im miserable
Im so happy to hear you say this! This is exactly how I feel!! Im glad to know im not the only one!!
I thought i would share in also. I had this fear since i was about 15yrs old, now 37. i feel that anytime i hear or been around someone that has had the stomach flu i would for sure get it. i have been in stages that i wouldnt eat for days, and having thoughts that i am gonna get it. i cant get those thoughts out of my head and i try to keep my self busy to distract my thoughts. it seems to be better in the summer (out of flu season) and iam alot more active. i dont want to go on any meds because i know they wont help these thoughts. good example is now, my wife was up last night with the stomach flu, and now its like playing russian roulette, its the waiting game. i try avoid any situation that i know that someone has been sick. so no i am not sleeping in the bed until i feel that it has fully passed. any comments are welcome.
Ive dealt with this my entire life. My entire family thinks its absolutely ridiculous, and they always have. I'm going on 24 and I STILL can't shake this irrational fear of vomit. If I know someone is throwing up, if I hear them in the act, see it, think about it, I get a panic attack. My heart immediately starts to race, i get nauseous, my hands start to sweat, I want to scream and run as far away from that person as humanly possible. This is something I can't control. I wish I could, because it runs my life. I'm constantly afraid of getting the stomach bug and I go to bed hoping I don't wake up sick that night. No normal person should think about it HALF as much as I do. If anyone can help, please do. Its been 24 years too long honestly, what's going to happen when I have my own kids? You can't freak and have a panic attack when you're their mother.
I have had this fear since before I could even remember.  My mom noticed it in me as young as 2 years old.  My anxiety is SEVERELY hightened in winter (stomach bug season) and I literally have anxiety attacks every single day.  Even when I hear someone say "i feel sick" without even specifically saying their stomach hurts I freak out cause I automattically think they assume that.  What I hate the most about this, is the anxiety makes me nauseas, which in turn makes me think i have the stomach bug.  So i never know if it is just anxiety, or im actually sick and that is the absolute worst part.

For all looking for help...its hard because its something you cant control.  Wash your hands as much as you can, before you eat, after your in a public place, after you touch door handles, etc.  Washing hands is the #1 way of preventing the stomach bug.  Hand sanitizer DOES NOT kill stomach bug germs...so be sure to wash with soap and water.  Knowing the ways stomach bug is transmitted can really help.  It is transmitted through saliva and stool, not through the air like the common cold.  So dont share drinks, and wash your hands after using a bathroom.  Therapy is something that can really help with this phobia because typically there is a deeper meaning behind it like fear of loss of control, fear of unhealthy, or just a tragic experience.  By figuring out the roots, you can help fight it better.  

Everyones posts sound so similar to me...its so nice to know im not alone.,
i have had a fear of myself throwing up and other people throwing up. i would say im more feraful of other people throwing up i have been having this phobia for 6 years now.
I know what you meen. I have that same fear. It really bothers me in school .I just want it to stop. The nausea gets worse every day. I just can't go to the nurse everyday. What should I do. I have pretty much no options.
I have the same fear! I try to talk myself through it saying its all in my head but its all I think about every single day! I hate it I hate it so so.much! Ive had this phobia as long as I can remember and I have no idea why! Someone tell me how to make this go away its RUINING my life!!
Hi, I'm 54 and have had this fear my whole life. How do you do it. I had an issue years ago and got a pill stuck in my windpipe so now I have a fear of swallowing pills.What meds can I keep with me that will stop a puking episode. My dad passed away of colon cancer a few years ago and my brother of prostate cancer. I need a colonoscopy but fear the prep. I have no life. I don't go out and I hate people coming over for fear they carry a stomach virus. What can I do? I need help?
Thank you, I know you wrote this years ago But I just saw it.
loretta
I'm sooooo glad I'm not alone. I figured I was just being silly. But I've thrown up 3 time in my life that I can remember. And I'm turning 15 soon. I was adopted so my guardian wasn't always as supportive about everything as she was with her own kids. Which I find understandable. And now I've read a lot about this and found that not having support from a parent can cause it. So if anyone finds a cure I would LOVE to know because I go through everyday thinking "am I going to throw up?", "should I eat this? If I throw this up will I hurt?" all these kind of things.
Im 13, and i have a phobia of throwing up. I havent done it in a few years, but whenever my stomach hurts, i feel scared a lot inside. I thought i was the only one who was like this until i read these comments. Whenever someone else throws up, i become extremely scared and start having an anxiety attack. My friends try to help me through it, but they just dont understand. My one friend threw up at school and i couldnt be near her the rest of the day. Im glad to know that im not alone.
this is so empowering...I am 16 years old and have dealt with this phobia for what seems like my whole life. I feel like I am the only one in my friend group, family, and every other social circle in the world who endures this kind of pain.

Yesterday for the first time in years I felt as though i needed to throw up and I lost control of myself, it was terrifying. I was saying things like "I want to die" and "Kill me" to my poor mother, who was doing all she could to help me. I've been working with a therapist but, simply put, I am not cured.

I believe everyone on this forum is looking for a cure. I see so many comments saying "HELP ME!" and "WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE THIS GO AWAY FAST!" but emetophobia isn't something that goes away overnight. It's a long struggle and it's scary and awful but what else can we do. We have each other to tell us we're not alone

best of luck to everyone on here.
i dont know why but im more afraid of throwing up during the night during the day im all good  but at night would rather die thn trow up even my parents think it is a stupid fear so i have kinda had to brsveit on my own it is the worst feeling in the world when u see other people go about there daily lives with such ease and you are there knowing that u may never be able to do the same thing without having a constant fear. and stand range enough as it is some people like me find things to get yourself through the fear and that is my parents even though they want me to throw up just so i can get over it but it is not that simple most people dont understand how bad a phobia can be and they take it for granted the way they can live there lives with such little fear. i am 14 and i watch the other kids as the do drugs get drunk and ruin their lives and i wish they could see how goo they got it for not having the same fears as me i would trade there lives in an instante no matter how bad they think the got it.
this is a real fear and all you people who have it no matter haw alone u feel ur not alone ok there are lost of people just like u so stay strong.
the have this drug for chemo paitents that when i was little i used to tae for this other drug and they do wonders no aweful side affects not illagle but it helped they also have over the counter ones that are less stronge but sometime just saying to yourself i took this im going to be okay helps but try to get over your fear too
I am 13 years old and I have this problem. Whenever someone even chokes, I can't eve eat for days. If someone says their stomach hurts, I start shaking and sweating and covering my ears it's terrible. I go to a breathing class to help me when I get anxiety. I have only remember twice I threw up in my entire life it was when I had a really bad case of pneumonia...if i eat too much in a restaurant then i run to the bathroom and just sit in there till we leave. it's so good to see that other people also have this problem(:
Hi there, your post reads almost identical to my experience.  The night time is the worst for me and I even struggle to relax when I'm at my parent's for the night, or they stay with me - in case they get sick.  I'm in the UK and saw a psychiatrist yesterday who told me this phobia is one of the easier ones to sort out.  I also know that breathing properly - so deep, into your lower belly - really helps to alleviate panic attacks and tension and to reinstate a sense of calm and stillness.  

My life is completely taken over by vomiting phobia - particularly during the winter months when infectious tummy bugs appear much more prevalent.  I can't even be on social media sites at the moment as people seem to insist on updating their status to let the world know they're sick.  This all just makes the danger of getting a tummy bug seem so much closer to me and I freak out. I've also just had a plumber in the house who told me his kids have a bug and of course I had to check with him that they weren't being sick otherwise I'd have to get him out of the house in case he brought the bug into my home and put me at risk.  It's all so exhausting, having this occupy my thoughts as much as it does.  I'm 40 years old and was last sick aged 9 (with one exception about 5 years ago, which was v brief and down to over indulgence). I didn't freak out 5 years ago, in the way I do now.  I think that in part my heightened state of phobia is down to news about tummy bugs travelling so fast that it only serves to warp my perspective on the realities of the danger.  I wish everyone on this message board all the very best with conquering their phobia.  I am yet to feel 'cured' but I feel confident that I can learn to manage this and reclaim my life.  
Thanks you so much for this comment... I actually helped me a ton!
I'm always scared of being sick. It takes over my every day life. I'm only 13! I alway get scared of it at school and I'm scared of being sick at school. I'm regularly get nausea and work myself up thinking I'm going to be sick. I don't want to take meds for it. I've been sick 3 times before in my life that I can remember but I hate it SO much. Its the most horrible thing in the world. Happy I'm not the only person who suffers from this :)
I'm almost 16 and I have this. It started when I was 4 and threw up for the first time... It got so bad I would refuse to eat and lost a lot of weight. It came back in the 6th grade after I felt sick at a camp I went to (I didn't even throw up there) and I've been struggling with it since. I have to always have a grocery bag with me in my purse just in case, but I almost never throw up so it's completely irrational! It's really affecting my life as i've missed a lot of school, i just don't know how to conquer this phobia. Anyone have any tips?
I self-diagnosed myself with emetophobia about a year ago.
I'm lucky enough to have never really thrown up so much in my life - the only time I ever remember was when I was 7, and caught a stomach bug that was sweeping through the school. I'm told I was a very strong-stomached baby and only ever threw up once or twice. I've always been a real healthy kid, rarely even getting a cold - when everyone around me (friends, family, classmates) get the cold/flu, I never get it. Ever.
But I've had this fear as long as I can remember. My mum is brilliant with throwing up, she just laughs it off and she's fine straight away. My dad gets really nervous and pacy, but not nearly as bad as me.
I know it's all in the mind, and that we really have no control over bodily-urges like that. If we're sick, we have to throw up. How else do we get better? But I still get really nervous, heart starts racing, hyperventilating, shaking like crazy, feel uneasy and faint, and I instinctively plug my ears and hold my breath.
My aunt and grandmother are staying over at my mum's house with me, and they were drinking a lot earlier. A few hours ago, my aunt threw up in the bath just a few feet away from my bedroom (luckily my door was closed, but I still heard it) and I was freaking out for a good hour. I needed the toilet (the phobia gives me an upset stomach) but I was too scared to leave my room in case there was sick on the floor or it smelled like it. My aunt is back in bed, and I'm calm again now, but I'm still uneasy about walking past the bathroom again.
What's worse is that it's MY bathroom. It sounds weird, I know, but I have my bathroom because my house has 3 and the one closest is just outside my room. So it's my bathroom, with a bath and a sink and cupboards and a shower and stuff. But now I'm scared I'll never feel comfortable in that room ever again! Ugh, it's so annoying!
Just a couple weeks ago, before P.E. at school, I drank too much water. I was never actually sick, but we were doing this agility-course thing and I felt so sick I couldn't move. I felt faint and clammy and nervous and stuff. But it wasn't as bad as it was when my aunt threw up. So I'm starting to think I'm more afraid of someone ELSE being sick, than I am of myself. :/ Crazy, right?
It's always at the back of my mind when I go out to eat somewhere, "what if this makes me ill?" or if I go to a friend's house "what if I catch a bug?". My friend threw up in class the other day, and I watched, but she made no noise and I never actually saw or smelt it because she gagged into a napkin and ran to the bathroom to flush it away. I was fine, no problems at all. No shaking, nothing. I just asked if she was okay and she said "yeah".
She's one of those people who have no problems with being sick. Go figure how she stays so calm.
I now associate throwing up with alcohol, mainly because all adults I've ever seen be sick were drunk or had been drinking wine. I have the intention of being a non-drinker when I'm an adult anyway, but this is just reinforcing it. I'm now worried that I'll get drunk when I'm in uni or whatever and throw up and never forgive myself for letting it get so far. I'd hate myself. :(
Anyways, on a finishing note, we're all in this together. It's mind over matter, literally. :) Keep your chin up!
Yep I've had it, still kind of do. It was worse before because I had never thrown up. Then a few years ago I got to drinking really heavy and threw up three different times. Now I'd say I'm not terrified of it but the thought of it still gives me anxiety.
I have this fear bad, and it's especially awful at night - in fact. the only reason i'm on this page is because I am currently having a minor freak out that I might vomit tonight. I need proper help, but have no one to get help from... please, any replies and suggestions would be amazing. It's simply wonderful to find out so many other people feel the same.
We can change! I have had a fear if throwing up ever since I can remember. Even though I've only thrown up a countable number of times that I remember, I've still been absolutely petrified. I have anxiety/panic disorder which only adds hell to my phobia of throwing up. I have tried and tried and tried to just say SCREW IT and just accept throw up. It's honestly not such a terrible thing when I think of it in my head. Ever since I remember I've been constantly nauseated, literally constantly. I don't render what it's like to feel normal. But I'm 19 now...... And pregnant!! One of my worst fears was the throwing up! I am nine weeks today an have been in the hospital once from hyperemesis gravidarum. A severe type of "morning sickness"! I haven't thrown up once this pregnancy except for this morning at 4 a.m. I woke up my husband and freaked out like usual an crowd and hyperventilated and just plain lost it. Then he and I went into the bathroom and after ten dry heaves in the pitch black bathroom, I threw up! My husband held my hand the whole time and after the four seconds of throwing up... I was ok. I realized its not that bad. It's just the feeling of nausea and about to throw up that causes my panic attack. And with my husband right by my side, I'll be prepared to throw up again tonight or tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. Because I WILL NOT LET THIS CONTROL ME ANYMORE! I understand these fears absolutely, we can overcome them!!!!!
If you have a severe fear of vomiting chances are you will never vomit.  Your body builds up some kind of defense mechanism to prevent you from vomiting even if you want to.  I have had a huge fear of it my whole life.  Ill put it this way.  Im 31 yrs old and have not thrown up since the 5th grade.  Ive had fo
od poisioning and stomach bugs through the years and still didnt vomit.  Probally not too healthy but better then the alternative in my eyes.
I read that statistically, people with this fear throw up far less than people with out it. I have a small fear of throwing up and it has gotten smaller and smaller as I've gotten older. I will be 30 in less than 2 months. Hope that helps.
sertilne is what I take works good I had it for 6 years too and I am 11
I'm 14, and the last time I threw up was 6 years ago. I was in 3rd grade and I went to the nurse in school and she gave me crackers and then I threw up in the toilet. But she said I threw up because of my cough and sent me back to class. Then it was snack time and I ate a couple of chips and I knew I was going to throw up but I didn't want to get out of my seat because I thought that I'd get in trouble, so I tried to call the teacher but she didn't hear, and I threw up all over the floor. It was the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to me. And last week my sister (I share a room with her) ran into the bathroom at 5 am to throw up. So I moved all my clothes that I'd need and moved into the basement. Then two days later my mom got sick. Then two days later my dad got sick. Now it's three days since my dad was throwing up, and I'm still sleeping in the basement, because I am so scared that I'm going to get sick and throw up in school. And now I'm in Highschool and so the nurse is far from my classes. I've been washing my hands so much that I they hurt and I have rashes on them. I don't know what else to say, I'm just hate the sound of people throwing up, I hate throwing up, I hate what throw up looks and smells like, and I really really do NOT want to throw up in school.
So I just got done reading all of these, and I feel so bad that people besides myself deal with this! It is the most awful thing in the world to me. It effects my life more and more everyday, and I am trying so hard to get a handle on things.I am 21 yrs old and since I can remember this phobia has plagued my life. I haven't even thrown up since i was 11 and at sixth grade camp (which was so awful because of the phobia).
It's not just panicking about myself throwing up (which turns into a full blown panic attack) but it's about people around me too. If they even gag I get nauseous and sweaty. I play sports with my college, and I dreaded hell week, not because of the hell it puts you through, but because someone might throw up. It's a team sport, you normally don't actually see someone throw up, but it was the possibility that it could happen. Even a couple years ago when my sister was throwing up I abandoned her in the bathroom and peaced out to my grandparents house because I was so freaked out. It's gotten to the point where i don't want to go spend the night with her in her apartment because she threw up in it in October. I also work with athletes everyday, and I chose a great sport for my phobia, not. I work with wrestlers everyday and the team i work with is great because there are not that many who throw up but they have their days, and I just panic all the time. Every time I am in that wrestling. It is starting to effect my job. Everyone around me just tells me to get over it because its irrational, and I have tried so hard! Heck I chose a sport that deals with throw up more than most sports, and I cannot shake this.
When it comes to myself throwing up it is even worse. I saw someone on here saying the plead with God every day, well that is exactly what I do. When I feel super sick, I close my eyes, pray to God, and have a full blown panic attack trying not to throw up.
The stomach bug is going around right now too so I wash my hands like crazy, and I try to avoid every person who has had it because I don't want it. I even convinced myself that I had it because I gave myself so much anxiety. One of the guys on the team got it, and I kept a safe distance from him for a while because I was so determined to not get it. When I first started college I and as learning about the human body for my major, I learned that the Vagus nerve is the gag reflex nerve and honestly my first thought was how can I get that cut? how do I stop this horrible phobia? turns out you can't. Jokes on me because that nerve innervates your heart, therefore if you cut it, your heart stops beating. Instadeath.
Thankfully, being 21 it hasn't effected my alcohol consumption because i do know my limits. my only worry is that someone around me at the bar will throw up, and that I could not handle.
Because I have this I would not wish this upon anything, but it is nice to hear that I am not crazy and that I am not alone in this. I hope to someday figure out a treatment for this because no one should have to live in fear of this.
I started to have this fear about a year ago. A week before I get my period I get nausea and I'm afraid of going anywhere because im afraid of throwing up. I am a 34 year old woman with three children and I feel like this is starting to take over me. I don't want it to!!!
I'm currently amidst an anxiety attack for a different reason, so I thought I'd add my story about my emetophobia.

I've always had anxiety.  I'm now 26 years old and have only vomited (that I can remember), 4 times, and three of those episodes were in the past year!  I think the spruce of the fear was my friend throwing up on me in 1st Grade... Like full on, across the table from me all over my face.  In elementary school I refused to wear grey sweatpants on Wednesday because a boy once got sick in front of the class when I was wearing those on a Wednesday.  If a family member contracted a stomach bug, I would stay at another friend's house for days.  I would refuse to have play dates with certain kids because they had the tendency to vomit.

The fear got less severe as I got older.  I only recall having a stomach virus once in 3rd Grade, and I was up all night before I finally gave in and threw up (in the toilet!).  After that, I'd had bouts of food poisoning and stomach viruses and I just willed myself not to vomit!  I once didn't eat for a week after my entire extended family contracted the Norovirus two Christmases ago and one-by-one started leaving; dropping like flies.  

I'm not so freaked about those who vomit when drunk, because I know it's not a virus I can catch.  I've held my friends hair back, watched my friend vomit into a paper cup at a bar, and even was vomited on while caring for a drunk friend.  It was disgusting, but it did not give me the panic I get when I hear someone is sick with a stomach virus.  

Cut to: this year.  Before this year, Id always been able to hold my liquor really well... Never got sick.  I was out at a bar with my roommate and hadn't eaten, got too drunk too fast and felt a feeling I hadn't felt in forever.  It's a feeling that you just KNOW, regardless of how long it's been.  I've sat on the floor of a bathroom with stomach upset countless times in tears because I never remembered what that felt like.  I hauled *** to the bathroom and just vomited.  Not a lot, but enough that it was time to go.  I had another instance happen on a date in which I was at a guy's house dry heaving all night, and then finally called a cab home from a club because I had "the feeling," only to immediately vomit in my bushes once I got home. I thought I had conquered it until two months ago when I had horrible indigestion.  I was up all night, even drove down to 7/11 for ginger ale and Gatorade.  I was convinced I would throw up.  Heart beatinf, dry mouth, feeling of soon.  I never did.  

I had always heard people say "Well no one LIKES to throw up!"  Not truly understanding a phobia I've had on which I've purposefully removed myself from situations in which I think there's even the slightest possibility I might contract a stomach bug.  So it's so nice to hear all of these stories I relate to!
vicki595 commented on Feeling real and tryi...
43 mins ago
meegWpaw commented on Feeling real and tryi...
1 hr ago
Feeling real and trying to understa...
2 hrs ago by littlebit667