Anxiety Expert Forum
Exercise and panic attacks

This expert forum is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders. All questions will be answered by a medical professional or expert.

Exercise and panic attacks

Im a 31 y/o female, working mom of 2, married for 7 years. Since my father passed away 5 months ago I started having panic attacks, sometimes even 3on one day. After much suffering I decided to start medication for the first time iin my life, and have been on lexapro 10mg for almost 3 months. That has helped me tremendously, and my psych wants me to start exercising so that he can star weening me off the med. The thing is that one of my first episodes with panic attacks ocurred while I was excersising. I got dizzy and had rapid heartbeat, which is normal while exercising (ive never really exercised before that), but I panicked and didn t want to try again, until now. I know exercising will help out, but I stil cant get rid of the idea that something bad will happen to me. Today I started walking and after 20 minutes, just when i started to get warm i got scared and went home. Ive always been healthy, got a complete checkup when the panic attacks started and im fine. Has this happen to anyone else? What body response should i expect while exercising? Thanks in advance for your help!
1 Comment
Hi,  I am not a doctor, but read your question and would like to offer some advice.  First of all, let me offer my sincere condolences about the loss of your father.  I was about your age when I lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly, so I can sincerely relate to your sorrow.  

I also was about your age when I discovered the book "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes.  I wholeheartedly recommend you go to Barnes and Noble or the nearest bookstore and purchase a copy.  It describes exactly what you are going through and exactly how to STOP it,...without drugs!!  Believe me, it will be the best purchase you ever make (it is also very inexpensive).  Easy reading--you will not be able to put the book down because it sounds like the book is about YOU.  Trust me,  it will turn your life around and stop the panic/anxiety cycle.  Go to amazon.com and read the reviews about this book.  The techniques to a cure are so simple you won't believe it.  Trust me.  Let me know how you're doing later on and good luck to you!