Anxiety Community
Exercise makes anxiety symptoms worse

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Exercise makes anxiety symptoms worse

Wondering if anyone else experiences heightened anxiety symptoms after working out? Prior to being diagnosed with anxiety... i was pretty much at the gym everyday. I enjoyed doing cardio and weights. My doc and psychologist both said exercise is a good plan of attack against anxiety and while I am exercising I feel great. But after... i find my nervousness, tingling arms and legs and other symptoms become heightened and stay that way pretty much all day. I hate it because I enjoy working out but now I am not going to the gym anymore - just working out at home.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you overcome it? Persistance? Anxiety meds?

I beleive that your anxiety after exercise is due to your increased heart-rate and respiration.  It is known that this combination can cause tingling in the extremities, which is a trigger for those with anxiety.  I would suggest trying 'gentle exercise', which does not raise your heart-rate and respiration to the point where you would feel distressed.  Hope this helps. :)

PS... thanx for the spelling lesson on the word 'exercise'!  I never fail to spell it wrong, and had to look to your example and retype it several times, too! LOL

I've been having anxiety issues for the past several months as well. I've pretty much been sticking to the treadmill to try and "burn off" some of my anxiety.  I don't have the problem  with the increased heart rate because of a betablocker I take, but I don't feel as good anymore while I work out; the endorphins don't seem to want to kick in; but I do believe that it helps after the fact - I feel more relaxed afterward and I think just getting the blood flowing is always a good thing.  It stinks that you don't enjoy even the after effects of your workout; I would try what the above poster suggested, and maybe for now just walking or jogging or whatever your body will let you do without raising your heartrate too high.
Good Luck!
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
newyorklover001 joined this community
Welcome them!
Health Insurance Companies Seek Big...
12 hrs ago by gymdandee
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms