Anxiety Community
Extreme Blushing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Extreme Blushing

Hi, I've had on going symptoms of what I guess is called "extreme blushing" my whole life. Recently I've decided to do something about it. I'm a young 21 year old female I've worked in retail for about 5 years now, and my blushing is completely humiliating. I don't know when it started, I know I've had awkward blotchy blushing skin since I was very young if not when I was born. Like everyone else in the most awkward and unnecessary interactions with people I turn bright red, my face neck and chest turn red and get really hott! When I'm really embaressed I break out in splotches all over my chest shoulders arms neck area. It varies on a daily basis but I don't get through a day without turning beat red at least twice. I have a hard time believing that I have social anxiety, I'm sure a huge part of it is the anxiety of the blushing itself and the endless cycle, but I work in retail I love people and my personality has always been extremely outgoing. It's been to the point that I don't even wear v-neck shirts, I try my best to hide my skin alot, and it's hard because I'm young and attractive and I don't want to be hiding underneath layers of clothing the rest of my life. Some slight background on myself, I have TMJ and IBS (both recently diagnosed with from stress) I do have slight excema on my hands which is usually controlled by cream, I also have Reynoids phenomenon so my hands and feet are usually discolored also. I've researched a few different things, and my questions are..
Is this actually a form of social anxiety?
Are medications safe to take for it (more specifically eredicane)?
Is surgery really an option?

I'm just looking for some feedback on what I should or could do to just improve my life on a daily basis.
-5 Comments Post a Comment
Hi! I also suffer from extreme flushing on my neck & chest when in anxious situations. This has been really frustrating for me as I feel that I'm outgoing & love to be with people in social situations but getting this rash had stopped me from doing normal activities. Even just running into someone at the shops could cause me to suddenly break out in this rash. I'm 36 & discovered only a few years ago that other people suffer from this too. I feel that social anxiety has developed because of the flushing. I would always wear clothes that would cover up my neck & chest so no one could see the rash. I think i'm more on the attractive side so missing out on wearing nice clothes & looking the best I could be was very upsetting for me. I hate the fact that drs cannot really pin point what causes the rash & offer any solution. The closest I've come to curing this is taking beta blockers & they do work for me. I've tried every supplement & herb but without much success. I've attached something I found about the nervous system. I'm also thinking of going to a dermatologist & talking about FotoFacial treatment. I believe this assists in targeting the dilated blood vessels. I truly think that my social anxiety has been the result of getting the flushed rash & therefore can be turn into a very nasty viscious circle.

If our problem is caused my an over active sympathetic nervous system do you know what type of doctor I would need to consult?

Good luck!

http://skin-care.health-cares.net/skin-blushing.php

http://www.peppercorn-md.com/fotofacialfaq.asp  
I have the same problem and people say,"OMG! are you ok you have the crazy rash on your chest! Then it just gets hotter. I noticed that the skin exposed to air is worse. I too believe I might have Reynauds and according the a trip to the ER for something other issue. Spotty weird colored hands that are most of the time cold. Now my hands look really old and it seems that every scar I have ever had has reappeared on my fingers. I never heard of social anxiety related to the Flushed Hot skin issue. Thats interesting bcuz I used to have very bad panic attacks and had to go to th emergency room or a few times just called 911 and swore I was dying of a heart attack. Also I swear my brother has social anxiety and just hasnt been diagnosed. So they must all be linked??
Don't think anyone ever had what I had when I was young.
Someone once said oh you went red and ever after that I went red all the time for absolutely no reason couldn't even sit at dinner table with
my own family without going red for no reason. So bad I could not
work.
My daughter had same syptoms (symptoms) and was finally diagnosed with benign cutanous flushes. She is being medicated by a endocrinologist and is SO much better!
This is a symptom of Social Anxiety disorder.  Get diagnosed and get help
scared_dad commented on Why You Might Have A ...
specialmom commented on AnnieBrooke's status
Jade59 commented on atthebeach's status