ANXIETY
COMMUNITY
Failed drug test for marijuana. Will the dr. discontinue my Xanax?
by s949, Oct 04, 2012
I tested positive for marijuana on a drug test by my psych doc. He has me on Xanax and it has helped so much. I am worried he is going to discontinue my rx. What are the possibilities that he will?
Member Comments (13)
by martin428, Oct 04, 2012
i dont think he will...but i wanted to ask you when you smoke does it give you minor anxiety attacks rite after you take a hit??? because i have been diagnosed with anxiety but after two months clean i started smoking pot again and i get minor panic attacks for like 5mins after i smoke but then it goes away
by kickanxietysbutt, Oct 05, 2012
OK, here's the thing you guys...smoking weed often causes panic attacks.  If you're really concerned about helping your health and your anxiety, I recommend not putting illegal narcotics into your body.  
by kickanxietysbutt, Oct 05, 2012
And most likely, if a therapist sees you're doing narcotics, they're going to be less likely to prescribe you Xanax.  Smoking weed already inidicates you have a problem, possibly addiction, and people who abuse alcohol and narcotics, are also more likely to abuse benzodiazepenes.  
by nursegirl6572Blank, Oct 05, 2012
It's impossible to say, but there's probably a strong possibility he will not Rx the Xanax with the + tox screen.  What kind of doc is Rx'ing the Xanax?  Why were you given a drug test?

Like kick said above, marijuana can exacerbate anxiety and panic, if you are REALLY dedicated to getting your anxiety under control, you would refrain from using anything that could trigger your anxiety, including alcohol.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
by s949, Oct 05, 2012
I used to be an ex opiate addict and I smoked a couple of times (4 times) since I got out of treatment 8 months ago. I have had a broken ankle for about a month and a half now and I was rx Vicodin and I have only took 17 of them and he gave me 30. My parents have the bottle because of my past. The bottle is just in their medicine cabinet so I have access to them but have not taken one in weeks. I can prove that to my psych doc by showing him the bottle with the pills in it. I mean I have been off and on benzos for about 5 yrs now and they help tremendously in combo with my depression meds. I am scared if he takes me off of them I will turn to booze or other drugs to cope. I am in the program and have had to start over because I have smoked but if I just take a small hit it subsides my anxiety and I know if I smoke a whole bowl or joint it makes my anxiety sky rocket but if I take one small hit it does help. I just don't know how I am going to handle life without meds if he takes me off them. I bike 30 miles 5 days a week to work, eat well (my mom is a nutritionist), I meditate ( not that good at it yet but I am getting there, and use various other methods of reducing stress and anxiety but even with all the tools I have learned and practice my anxiety is still out of control. What should I tell my doc to keep me on my meds?
by martin428, Oct 05, 2012
hey man i know how you feel my first panic attack was triggered after smoking   , my main problem over time was not getting sleep...i got perscribed clonazapam but i dont really take it i instead started to take a hit and go to sleep....you just have to tell your doc the truth of what you have been doing i really dont think he will take you off your meds...i told my doctor that i have been smoking but very little at night....and he asked about how many pills from my pills i had left and i had more than half left...i told him the clonazapam made me a little shaky so he switched it to xanax still knowing i was very lightly using marijuana....so i doubt it unless you constantly fail drug test? but why did you have to take a test??
by nursegirl6572Blank, Oct 05, 2012
I have the same question, why did you have to take the drug test?  What kind of a doctor is Rx'ing the meds?  A psych?  

As far as what to tell the doctor, the truth.  That's always the best policy.  If he's going to insist you NOT smoke pot in order to continue prescribing your meds, that's a sacrifice you'll have to make.  Maybe that would be a good thing to promise...that you value how the meds have heled your anxiety, and you are willing to promise to not smoke pot again.

Make sure with the benzos, that, if possible you're only taking them "as needed".  If you start taking them regularly every day, you will have issues with tolerance and dependence.
by s949, Oct 05, 2012
My psychologist is rx the Xanax for me. I think next time I will just tell him hey I smoked and I will take drug test every time I see u to show u I am gonna stay sober because Xanax has help with panic attacks. Nocturnal panic attacks have been the hardest to deal with. I even had a suicide attempt waking up in a panic and a Xanax before bed has totally eliminated them. I still wake up very anxious but no where near the point of wanting to commit suicide. Thinking about that moment scares the shot out of me. I mean dressing up in nice clothes and sitting in the bath after eating 32 Advil pm and waking up (thank god) to ice cold water of the bath. So I am afraid my life will b threatened because if he takes away the benzos. Even waking up or having a day panic attack where I actually have pulled hair out and physically ran around my apt hyperventilating will b threatened.
by martin428, Oct 05, 2012
hey man when you feel that anxious it is important to just remember you are ok to trust your self and no matter how anxious you are just sit and relax fight it as much as possible before taking the med...it is so much better if you only take the meds when you really need it